Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

So - trying to finalize my Coco cake for my friend's birthday and I can't decide on a filling! It's a chocolate cake because she likes chocolate. Her favorite "fruit" is coconut, but she hates german chocolate cake. Has anyone tried the churro mousse? Can you tell me anything about it?

I haven't tried the churro mousse. We had a chocolate cake with chocolate mousse filling a while back (and chocolate buttercream to boot) and it was fantastic. Super tasty and not overwhelming.

So - I decided to just let the YC-BC pastry team work their amazing magic without much input from me! I said my friend LOVES "Coco", so anything bright, sugar skull, whatever they feel inspired by would be amazing.

She likes chocolate and coconut, but not german chocolate. Going for a six-inch cake but open to other options since it's just for four of us.

This is my third cake at YC-BC, but the first time they asked for an email address to communicate some pictures and ideas with me.

I'm so excited!

Just an FYI if you’ve been trying to order a cake from the Contemporary, my DH has been trying to order an anniversary cake for over a week, no response to his email.

Called today and was told the email listed in this thread is no longer active. There is a new contact person and new email. I will post the email info later tonight when he gets home.

Hopefully we have enough time since we were trying to order for the 24th.

I had asked awhile back about a Boba Fett inspired cake and lurkyloo has posted an awesome picture of a cake done by the Grand Floridian pastry team. I am bummed to report that I cannot get the Boba Fett helmet cake because of copyright laws. I am trying to figure out what to do now. My husband turns 40 on our trip and I was really wanting something cool for him. He always tells me his favorite Disney movie is Frozen so I may go that direction. Any thoughts or ideas would be great!

Just an FYI if you’ve been trying to order a cake from the Contemporary, my DH has been trying to order an anniversary cake for over a week, no response to his email.

Called today and was told the email listed in this thread is no longer active. There is a new contact person and new email. I will post the email info later tonight when he gets home.

Hopefully we have enough time since we were trying to order for the 24th.
Good to know - I just sent my request to the email on Saturday and was going to follow up!

I had asked awhile back about a Boba Fett inspired cake and lurkyloo has posted an awesome picture of a cake done by the Grand Floridian pastry team. I am bummed to report that I cannot get the Boba Fett helmet cake because of copyright laws. I am trying to figure out what to do now. My husband turns 40 on our trip and I was really wanting something cool for him. He always tells me his favorite Disney movie is Frozen so I may go that direction. Any thoughts or ideas would be great!
My hubby is a huge Star Wars fan, and this is what I had done for his 40th. It was done by the GF bakery.
03F7A1E8-473F-4F27-AFE2-7E191317B3C2.jpeg

Just ordered an Up themed mini cake for our stay at POR using the inspiration picture Lurkyloo posted here a few weeks ago. Asked for marble cake with vanilla frosting filling and was quoted $55. No problem with the design at all which pleasantly surprised me. We leave for our trip on Monday so I'll post pics when we get home. Can't wait to see it (and taste it!). :)

Got a CM at All Star Music to send my request to someone at All Star Movies, thank goodness. It's only two of us and I wanted it to be a surprise so picking up would be my very very last resort. However, if all hope is lost I do have a dining reservation at Hollywood Studios so if anything I can try getting it there. Thanks for the suggestions :)
Curious how this turned out? Sorry it's from so long ago :)

OK, I got the skinny on the situation at the Contemporary.

They have a new Cake Coordinator who works 5 days a week (she is off on Wednesday and Thursday). The Contemporary's special Cake Hotline (407-824-2955) is still active and she monitors it. But the generic email has been replaced by her personal email, and the DIS does not allow us to post cast members' personal emails.

Also, they have some new guidelines for the timeframe in which you can place cake orders (which are really so sensible I'd use them as a rule of thumb for any resort or park's cake-ordering process): At least 1 week's notice is required for elaborate cakes; simple cakes may be ordered 72 hours in advance. Orders may not be placed more than 90 days in advance.

I don't get that at all. Not only have they actually made them multiple times for Disney weddings, but they just did that Chewbacca cake for @Cluelyss that is basically the same idea.

I'm sure they have lots of ideas for Frozen cakes—turquoise, sparkles, snowflakes... Maybe they could even do these icicles the Contemporary put on my Christmas cake a few years back:

CA_Grill_09.jpg

CA_Grill_19.jpg

It would be really cool if they could do one inspired by the ice monster ("Marshmallow") in Frozen, with a gaping maw and shards of candy ice sticking out everywhere.

I'm thinking about getting a cake for our stay at AKL; we are celebrating DD's 25th birthday. I am OK with the 8" options and price, but what is "fruit mousse" for a filling? Is it a generic "fruit" flavor or will I get to choose from a variety of fruit flavors (strawberry, raspberry, etc). Also, has anyone had any luck getting cake flavors other than the vanilla, chocolate, or marble that is listed? I know that 4 years ago we were able to get red velvet cake from the AKL team, delivered to Jiko. Can't decide if I want the cake delivered to Sanaa or just get it for our room. If I get it for the room, can I pick it up in one of the AKL restaurants (staying at Jambo) or do I HAVE to do private dining/room service?

Also... has anyone had the zebra striped cake? What is the filling?

Last edited:
I'm thinking about getting a cake for our stay at AKL; we are celebrating DD's 25th birthday. I am OK with the 8" options and price, but what is "fruit mousse" for a filling? Is it a generic "fruit" flavor or will I get to choose from a variety of fruit flavors (strawberry, raspberry, etc). Also, has anyone had any luck getting cake flavors other than the vanilla, chocolate, or marble that is listed? I know that 4 years ago we were able to get red velvet cake from the AKL team, delivered to Jiko. Can't decide if I want the cake delivered to Sanaa or just get it for our room. If I get it for the room, can I pick it up in one of the AKL restaurants (staying at Jambo) or do I HAVE to do private dining/room service?

Last August, my wonderful DH really fought to get a specialty birthday cake and filling delivered to our room. It took weeks of back and forth but they finally agreed to almond cake with Bavarian cream and strawberry filling. There was a significant upcharge. The cake was delivered and was really cute, but it didn’t taste like almond cake. Sure enough, a couple months later, I was going through photos of the cake and I noticed for the first time that there was a tag on the box that clearly said it was vanilla cake. I can only laugh. So, you may pay for a specialty cake and still not get it. I won’t be ordering from their bakery again until reports of improvement start trickling in (which is sad since we are new DVC owners there).

Last August, my wonderful DH really fought to get a specialty birthday cake and filling delivered to our room. It took weeks of back and forth but they finally agreed to almond cake with Bavarian cream and strawberry filling. There was a significant upcharge. The cake was delivered and was really cute, but it didn’t taste like almond cake. Sure enough, a couple months later, I was going through photos of the cake and I noticed for the first time that there was a tag on the box that clearly said it was vanilla cake. I can only laugh. So, you may pay for a specialty cake and still not get it. I won’t be ordering from their bakery again until reports of improvement start trickling in (which is sad since we are new DVC owners there).

That's awful. He should have called to complain. I had an almond cake at California Grill for my birthday last summer and it was delicious!

They have a new Cake Coordinator who works 5 days a week (she is off on Wednesday and Thursday). The Contemporary's special Cake Hotline (407-824-2955) is still active and she monitors it. But the generic email has been replaced by her personal email, and the DIS does not allow us to post cast members' personal emails.

Also, they have some new guidelines for the timeframe in which you can place cake orders (which are really so sensible I'd use them as a rule of thumb for any resort or park's cake-ordering process): At least 1 week's notice is required for elaborate cakes; simple cakes may be ordered 72 hours in advance. Orders may not be placed more than 90 days in advance.
Okay that may explain the issue - I was a little over 90 days last weekend when I wrote the email. I guess I'll call once I get past the 90 day threshold. I wonder if the email went into limbo or maybe it gets forwarded to her. I didn't receive any kind of kickback email, so I assumed it went through. Thanks for the info @lurkyloo!

That's awful. He should have called to complain. I had an almond cake at California Grill for my birthday last summer and it was delicious!

We didn’t know for sure until a couple months later so too late to complain. At the time, no one believed me that it wasn’t almond cake, LOL. My DH said, “Oh the flavoring is subtle!” Me: “As in nonexistent!”

I am trying to order an almond cake redo at Y&B for next month, still waiting impatiently for a quote.

Thanks for the update! I plan on doing a cake order in mid December so I’ll be updating about my process in case it will help others. When I did one June 2017, it was super easy and went off without a hitch

I don't get that at all. Not only have they actually made them multiple times for Disney weddings, but they just did that Chewbacca cake for @Cluelyss that is basically the same idea.

I'm sure they have lots of ideas for Frozen cakes—turquoise, sparkles, snowflakes... Maybe they could even do these icicles the Contemporary put on my Christmas cake a few years back:

CA_Grill_09.jpg

CA_Grill_19.jpg

It would be really cool if they could do one inspired by the ice monster ("Marshmallow") in Frozen, with a gaping maw and shards of candy ice sticking out everywhere.
Yeah I didn't understand it either. I even said that the cake was created by the Grand Floridian Pastry team. Oh well! I asked if Boba Fett was a no-go in general or if maybe they could do a standing image of him. Hoping to hear back about that soon. I do like your Marshmallow idea! I really don't want a cake with Anna and Elsa :rotfl2:We're staying at Pop and my contact there has been good about keeping me in the loop.

Yeah I didn't understand it either. I even said that the cake was created by the Grand Floridian Pastry team. Oh well! I asked if Boba Fett was a no-go in general or if maybe they could do a standing image of him. Hoping to hear back about that soon. I do like your Marshmallow idea! I really don't want a cake with Anna and Elsa :rotfl2:We're staying at Pop and my contact there has been good about keeping me in the loop.
We had a Frozen inspired mini cake done a few years ago - ice blue frosting and candy snowflakes. Wish I had a better picture but this will give you an idea.
0FDAD465-EB54-44D0-9D17-5FBAC41ED84F.jpeg

Thank you!! I had e-mailed on Monday and was about to follow up so I just left a message. Hooping to hear back soon - excited to get this set.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter