Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

Just worked with Brandon at DHS to order a custom cake for Mom's birthday on our upcoming trip in July. Super helpful and very nice guy! Mentioned how DHS wants to be known for their stellar cakes in the future!

We decided on a 6" chocolate with dark chocolate mousse filling and chocolate buttercream icing. (Mom LOVES all chocolate cakes). Her favorite character is Mickey and favorite color is red so with those guidelines, I'll be excited to see what they come up with!

Total cost was $38

Here is my latest cake that I ordered for my daughter’s second birthday from 1900 Park Fair at the Grand Floridian. Pat was a huge help in creating this little cake for my little princess. It was a six-inch round fondant covered vanilla cake with white chocolate filling and vanilla buttercream. It cost $74 and had a white chocolate Cinderella on top, flowers, sparkles and two fondant pumpkins. My daughter loved it ! We had a tables in wonderland discount so that helped but they added back the 18% tip so it was basically the same price. It was very good, the only thing was it was a lot of cake and once it was boxed for us to take back to our resort, my poor husband dropped the cake in the line to meet the fairy godmother and we lost the chocolate Cinderella, luckily the rest stayed in the box. He was so upset, but we made a joke out of it, that he lost his cake holding privileges . Here are a few pictures. We will probably get mini cakes from now on because we couldn’t eat the whole cake.

Attachments

• F67A985F-D41D-4656-B3DA-7C9F362508D6.jpeg
    F67A985F-D41D-4656-B3DA-7C9F362508D6.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 387
  • 874EAE8E-3EC1-4FF8-AA80-00787696246C.jpeg
    874EAE8E-3EC1-4FF8-AA80-00787696246C.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 369
Hi everyone. Quick question it’s our anniversary. I just ordered a 2 tier mini chocolate cake for narrcoossee’s. I just told them the 35 dollar 2 tier one with the castle and she asked her favorite color. Anything else I should have said? It was the quickest order I ever did cause I just wanted something small and cheap cause he are doing a larger cake at jikos a few nights earlier for a birthday.

I just wanted a little something for her to let her know I was thinking about us. I looked for flowers for the room but no good vases she would want to use again. So I decided on this off the top of my head while I was grabbing a card just now.

Any other ideas? Changes? Again just a quick little something to say hey I remember! Lol

The cakes are surprisingly large that’s why we always just get a 6 inch for our family of four and we still end up taking half of it back to the room. Just to prevent any future drops down the road you could ask bell service at the hotel where you got the cake To have a runner bring it over to your home resort at the end of their shift. If you don’t care that you won’t get it until the next day they will usually do that if you ask nice. I write on the box our hotel and room number and to put in refrigerator. I write on the box our hotel and room number and to put in refrigerator. They have never said no to me and always do it without any issues. I carried a cake around night one time and said never again. The one night my buddy and myself took the cake back to the room on our own while the girls went to the park with the kids and then met up with yhem. When we were on the monorail we looked at each other and said why didn’t we just asked bell service so the next time I asked.

Here is my latest cake that I ordered for my daughter’s second birthday from 1900 Park Fair at the Grand Floridian. Pat was a huge help in creating this little cake for my little princess. It was a six-inch round fondant covered vanilla cake with white chocolate filling and vanilla buttercream. It cost $74 and had a white chocolate Cinderella on top, flowers, sparkles and two fondant pumpkins. My daughter loved it ! We had a tables in wonderland discount so that helped but they added back the 18% tip so it was basically the same price. It was very good, the only thing was it was a lot of cake and once it was boxed for us to take back to our resort, my poor husband dropped the cake in the line to meet the fairy godmother and we lost the chocolate Cinderella, luckily the rest stayed in the box. He was so upset, but we made a joke out of it, that he lost his cake holding privileges . Here are a few pictures. We will probably get mini cakes from now on because we couldn’t eat the whole cake.

Hi everyone. Quick question it’s our anniversary. I just ordered a 2 tier mini chocolate cake for narrcoossee’s. I just told them the 35 dollar 2 tier one with the castle and she asked her favorite color. Anything else I should have said? It was the quickest order I ever did cause I just wanted something small and cheap cause he are doing a larger cake at jikos a few nights earlier for a birthday.

I just wanted a little something for her to let her know I was thinking about us. I looked for flowers for the room but no good vases she would want to use again. So I decided on this off the top of my head while I was grabbing a card just now.

Any other ideas? Changes? Again just a quick little something to say hey I remember! Lol

Sounds like you covered it! I would just call back a day or two before to reconfirm everything. If you can't get a hold of the person you ordered from, you can just call the main Private Dining line and they'll be able to reconfirm the details for you: 407-824-2474

Worked with Pat from Grand Floridian pm this special Stitch cake for our grandson’s birthday. It was an eight inch chocolate cake, chocolate buttercream and cookies and cream mousse filling, it cost $145. It was amazing!

Attachments

• FDC438FA-86AE-44F7-99C3-DC16741A563F.jpeg
    FDC438FA-86AE-44F7-99C3-DC16741A563F.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 360

I am many months away from cake ordering, but the planner and cake obsessed part of me wants to square some things away in my mind before I make ADRs.

I understand that experiences vary with fondant and non-standard flavors when it comes to the two tier mini cakes. Has anyone had any more recent experiences where they were either approved or denied fondant and/or something other than chocolate/vanilla? Just trying to gauge which meals I'm trying to book that would be good for a cake, so it'll all trace back to the bakery that delivers to each restaurant. I normally go for a bigger cake so that the pastry chefs have a bigger canvas and I have more flavor options (and leftovers :D ), but I've gone gluten free and dairy free since my last visit/Disney cake and it's only going to be me and one other person on this trip. So, anything more than a mini cake seems excessive. I know there's Erin McKenna's and we will be popping in there, but her stuff just isn't cute or fun to me, so I feel like I should get something small...even if it's just my friend who can eat it (which hopefully won't be too awkward for her).

I understand that experiences vary with fondant and non-standard flavors when it comes to the two tier mini cakes. Has anyone had any more recent experiences where they were either approved or denied fondant and/or something other than chocolate/vanilla? ...So, anything more than a mini cake seems excessive. I know there's Erin McKenna's and we will be popping in there, but her stuff just isn't cute or fun to me, so I feel like I should get something small...even if it's just my friend who can eat it (which hopefully won't be too awkward for her).

Right now your best bet for a fondant-covered mini cake with non-standard flavors is the Yacht & Beach Club pastry team. They are the easiest to work with, the most flexible and accommodating, and they are doing amazing work. Here are the Coco and Avatar cakes they made me a few months ago:

IMG_0968_zpsctzfjxbo.jpg

IMG_0287_zpsvbczlrov.jpg

Here's a cake shared with me by a Disney fan who recently had a great experience working with Art of Animation on her anniversary cake! She says...

"I ordered a little mermaid 6" cake from Art of Animation to be delivered to our room on arrival. It was chocolate cake, strawberry mouse filling and chocolate ganache frosting. Tasted Soo good. I only asked for the printed image and the writing. The additional decoration was done by the bakers and we loved it. It was a great surprise to my husband. It was $54 total. "

Little%20Mermaid%20Cake%201_zps8zi2m5n6.jpg

Little%20Mermaid%20Cake%202_zpssz4tump4.jpg

Little%20Mermaid%20Cake%203_zpsnhy1szuj.jpg

Right now your best bet for a fondant-covered mini cake with non-standard flavors is the Yacht & Beach Club pastry team. They are the easiest to work with, the most flexible and accommodating, and they are doing amazing work. Here are the Coco and Avatar cakes they made me a few months ago:

IMG_0968_zpsctzfjxbo.jpg

IMG_0287_zpsvbczlrov.jpg

Thanks @lurkyloo ! I remember seeing those and they really did such a beautiful job. I'm thinking about Cape May for a meal, so that would work with tentative plans too. Thanks again!

Worked with Pat from Grand Floridian pm this special Stitch cake for our grandson’s birthday. It was an eight inch chocolate cake, chocolate buttercream and cookies and cream mousse filling, it cost $145. It was amazing!

Is that a double layer cake and is the top fondant? and do you mind me asking how much it cost?

For our trip in Dec, my mother has chosen Morimoto Asia for her birthday dinner. I'm planning to get something from Amorette's delivered. I had so hoped she would have chosen Yachtsman so I could work with a pastry team from the resorts, but oh well. Whatever makes her happy for her celebration is fine with me. I'll report back on how the experience goes as I've never seen a post about working with Amorette's.

Hi,

New here and a little confused about the cake options/process. We will be visiting in Novemebr and my Daughter is gettign married whilst we are there, Our Wedding party will be around 23 people. Our wedding day plan is pretty informal and we intend spending several hours around Boardwalk, before finishing the night at the Polynesian. Although we are staying on Disney Property we are not staying at EITHER the Boardwalk or Polynesian.
Our hope was to get a custom fancy cake for our party size to either eat sitting casually around Boardwalk, or at the Polynesian, maybe on the beach.
  1. Is this even possible - Would we have to eat/be seated in a formal location i.e. Private dining
  2. I see "cake phone lines" for multiple hotels, do you have to be staying at those hotels to make use of them or is it simply the place where we want to eat that I need to call?
  3. We were hoping to see a selection of options we could choose from, but it seems from this board that we need to call with a design of our own in mind. Have I got that right?

What is an acceptable amount of time to give when awaiting a call/communication back??

I need a cake for early July for a dinner at Storybook Dining, I called & spoke to WL & explained about needing a "fancy cake" and working with the Contemporary Resort Pastry Team several years ago. I was given an email address & sent all the specifics to that email on 6/13. I have heard nothing since then. For those that recently worked with the WL & CR, did you have the same problem? TIA!!

Our hope was to get a custom fancy cake for our party size to either eat sitting casually around Boardwalk, or at the Polynesian, maybe on the beach.

Is this even possible - Would we have to eat/be seated in a formal location i.e. Private dining
You can order a cake for pickup at BoardWalk Bakery.

I see "cake phone lines" for multiple hotels, do you have to be staying at those hotels to make use of them or is it simply the place where we want to eat that I need to call?

No, you only need to be dining at that resort. However, only BoardWalk Bakery allows you to pick up a cake without a restaurant reservation.

We were hoping to see a selection of options we could choose from, but it seems from this board that we need to call with a design of our own in mind. Have I got that right?

Correct. Disney has no standard cakes except the dome cake you can request when you check in at the podium of any table-service restaurant. Some locations can send you photos of cakes they have made in the past as inspiration. But, unfortunately, there are no standardized cake designs.

What is an acceptable amount of time to give when awaiting a call/communication back??

I need a cake for early July for a dinner at Storybook Dining, I called & spoke to WL & explained about needing a "fancy cake" and working with the Contemporary Resort Pastry Team several years ago. I was given an email address & sent all the specifics to that email on 6/13. I have heard nothing since then. For those that recently worked with the WL & CR, did you have the same problem? TIA!!

You could wait til it's been a week. Or just call Private Dining at the Contemporary and explain that you were referred by Wilderness Lodge and want to place a cake order. The pastry chef doesn't work on Mondays and Tuesdays, though, so even then you wouldn't hear back til Wednesday at the earliest.

You could wait til it's been a week. Or just call Private Dining at the Contemporary and explain that you were referred by Wilderness Lodge and want to place a cake order. The pastry chef doesn't work on Mondays and Tuesdays, though, so even then you wouldn't hear back til Wednesday at the earliest.

Thank you! I'll wait till Wednesday.

You can order a cake for pickup at BoardWalk Bakery.

No, you only need to be dining at that resort. However, only BoardWalk Bakery allows you to pick up a cake without a restaurant reservation.

Correct. Disney has no standard cakes except the dome cake you can request when you check in at the podium of any table-service restaurant. Some locations can send you photos of cakes they have made in the past as inspiration. But, unfortunately, there are no standardized cake designs.

Thank you very much - very helpful :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!