Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

Can you please share pics when you do? Also what is price you were quoted? Trying to prepare to order one for daughter's 13th birthday in December :)
Absolutely! It was around $135 after taxes, but I could have made some different choices and had it cheaper. Pat was really easy to work with.

I called Private Dining back and talked to a guy names James. We talked about cake design and settled on a Magic Kingdom themed cake with a stand-up image of Cinderella's Castle with the fireworks going off in the background, with piped fireworks around the cake. I was hoping to stay around $80, but alas it was $100. I paid $108 for a 10" years ago and I told my step-daugther (who this new cake it for) that I would never do that again. Yet, here I am. But's it's not everyday that you get to turn 14 at Disney.
This sounds like a cake similar to what we are looking for, have you gone yet and if so do you have pictures of the cake?

Looking for ideas.....

I'm celebrating my 50th bday with 10 family members in 10 days. We are scattered across the Poly, Fort Wilderness and Old Key West with different arrival days but my DH and I are staying Saturday to Saturday.

Currently the dinner plans on my actual birthday are for Cali Grill and then the MK After Fireworks Dessert Party so I don't think that I want to do a cake for that evening.

BUT, I really want a cake.
Our other restaurant options are Sci-Fi Diner on Tuesday night or The Boathouse on Friday night, but everyone is departing on Saturday so I'm concerned about leftovers. We are drinking around the world at EPCOT on Wednesday so we do not have dinner reservations for that night. We were just planning on quick services and snacks that day.

I'm the planner; no one else would know the first thing about trying to arrange a cake for me. So I'm left trying to plan one for myself.

Is it too late to order one? Any ideas??

Thanks so much!!

Looking for ideas.....

I'm celebrating my 50th bday with 10 family members in 10 days. We are scattered across the Poly, Fort Wilderness and Old Key West with different arrival days but my DH and I are staying Saturday to Saturday.

Thanks so much!!

It's not too late to order a cake! I suggest trying for Sci-Fi Dine-In. Apparently DHS' pastry team is eager to get more custom cake orders and has been turning out some fun cakes recently: https://www.disboards.com/threads/official-disney-cake-chatter-part-v.3558085/page-133#post-60489651

Looking for ideas.....

Currently the dinner plans on my actual birthday are for Cali Grill and then the MK After Fireworks Dessert Party so I don't think that I want to do a cake for that evening.

Our other restaurant options are Sci-Fi Diner on Tuesday night or The Boathouse on Friday night, but everyone is departing on Saturday so I'm concerned about leftovers. We are drinking around the world at EPCOT on Wednesday so we do not have dinner reservations for that night. We were just planning on quick services and snacks that day.

I'm the planner; no one else would know the first thing about trying to arrange a cake for me. So I'm left trying to plan one for myself.

Thanks so much!!
Hollywood Studios is really trying to up their cake game. I would do Sci-Fi on Tuesday then you have quite a while to eat the leftovers. You can put them in a locker in the park if you aren't leaving soon after dinner.

Thanks, TinkLoverSam and lurkyloo!
Yesterday I left a message on the HS cake line. Brandon called me back this morning and was very helpful and patient. Here are some pricing details that he shared.

8" single tier round cake will give 10 slices and is $40 for vanilla, chocolate, or marbled flavor with buttercream. Fillings offered are strawberry or raspberry mousse, chocolate ganache, and one other that I can't remember.

Adding fondant decorations starts at $30. Fondant "fireworks" that sound like they would resemble sparklers are $10.

I gave him some ideas, but he said that once I approve a quote that the pastry team just runs with it....I won't see a sketch or anything. Being the control freak that I am, this bothers me!

Does anyone have any photos of these "fireworks" or fondant decorations???

Does $80+ tax and gratuity sound fair?

This sounds like a cake similar to what we are looking for, have you gone yet and if so do you have pictures of the cake?

Attaching a picture from my phone so hopefully it works, don’t do pictures much.

Whoops, sorry its sideways... Here it is with the birthday girl. I will say that I was very disappointed, especially when you compare it to the Minnie Mouse cake we had years ago for the same price range.

The fireworks didn’t really look much like fireworks and no one care for the strawberry mousse. 2799FE87-6BF5-4E8A-99C4-5194C7970075.jpeg

I gave him some ideas, but he said that once I approve a quote that the pastry team just runs with it....I won't see a sketch or anything. Being the control freak that I am, this bothers me!

Does anyone have any photos of these "fireworks" or fondant decorations???

Does $80+ tax and gratuity sound fair?

If it makes you feel any better, NO pastry team on property will send you sketches or concepts for a design. It's all one-way—you send them a sketch or photos and then have to wait til you get the cake to see how they interpreted your idea. I would ask him for more detail about exactly how the fireworks will be created, since there are many different methods.

That price is on par with other Disney pastry team pricing.

I thought I would share the cake that I ordered for an engagement celebration. Ordered from Yacht and Beach Club and delivered to The Yachtsman Steakhouse. They were very helpful and I think it came out great. Chocolate cake with white chocolate mousse filling and Buttercream frosting. Delicious! Price was $130.

Attachments

• B8F3F319-21DA-436A-97A3-C84682B60512.jpeg
    B8F3F319-21DA-436A-97A3-C84682B60512.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 2
Stitch birthday cake update. I received a quote from the bakery for my daughter's cake. I'm requesting a cake with a standing Stitch element but with some shells & a surfboard & Stitch on the beach. Below is the email. Since I've been following this thread, $73 seems a little low for what I'd like. (Although I'm not asking for all over fondant.) Do you think $73 is the correct price? I did email some clarification (and hope I'm not annoying them by asking). I guess we'll see! I'll be sure to share the finished result in August. :)

Attachments

• Email about cake_Yacht_Club.png
    Email about cake_Yacht_Club.png
    139 KB · Views: 66
Looking for ideas.....

I'm celebrating my 50th bday

Thanks so much!!

Me too!! About a week after you! Isnt it sad we have to order our own BDay cakes!! Im still debating since we are on the DxDDP and dessert is included...do I really want to spend $100+ on a cake for 3 people? Thinking Id rather put the $ towards my own gift (A new Dooney? :) )!! Please share what you decide and if you get one, where you got it delivered.

Stitch birthday cake update. I received a quote from the bakery for my daughter's cake. I'm requesting a cake with a standing Stitch element but with some shells & a surfboard & Stitch on the beach. Below is the email. Since I've been following this thread, $73 seems a little low for what I'd like. (Although I'm not asking for all over fondant.) Do you think $73 is the correct price? I did email some clarification (and hope I'm not annoying them by asking). I guess we'll see! I'll be sure to share the finished result in August. :)
Update: received an email back that the $73 will include all elements. So - I'll be excited to show you all the results in a few weeks! I think that's a pretty good price for a fancy cake. :)

Hi everyone!

I'm going to Disney the first week of November and our group has 16 people in it. Our arrival day is my aunt's birthday (she'll be 78 or 79--I need to get that straight)! We are staying at the GF and have a dinner planned at Citricos for the entire group. I'm thinking I want to order a cake for the group.

I do know that I don't want fondant. I also know I need to get everyone a piece of cake. What do you think about the 8 inch versus the 10 inch?

I've made it through the first 30 or so pages of this thread and am overwhelmed. I'm trying to find a way to easily see lots of pictures but it's taking some time. Does anyone who regularly reads here know of some good pics for an adult cake, someone who is probably not a Disney freak or has a favorite character, but we'd like to keep the cake somewhat on theme with the vacation. So, something feminine, not overwhelmingly Disney, and adult? I've found a few of the mini-cake designs I like and saved them but if anything hits you as "oh I had a cake that fits the bill" I'd love to see the pictures.

The last time I ordered a cake was probably 10 years ago. See my avatar pic. It was for my daughter's 18th birthday. The cake was really pretty, but it was actually kind of awful tasting. Nothing about it tasted good. I certainly hope they have improved.

overwhelmed is not even the word LOL. I want to order a cake for myself and I've only gotten more confused, 143 pages on the 5th thread! I hate calling, I hate the phone at all but I might have to actually dial for this one!

overwhelmed is not even the word LOL. I want to order a cake for myself and I've only gotten more confused, 143 pages on the 5th thread! I hate calling, I hate the phone at all but I might have to actually dial for this one!

I hear ya! I'm dreading making the call. I've had to call Disney several times over this trip and it's never quick, easy, or efficient. I do think I inadvertently spoke to "Pat" last week when trying to book the Grand Floridian Cafe for our big group. She couldn't help me, but was nice enough to check the availability in the entire hotel and saw that Citricos could help me (and they did).

As for finding a cake, I've had better luck looking for "Disney World cakes" on a regular image search. That way they are all in one place.

Still waiting to hear back from Brandon from HS cakes with my quote. Tried calling him on Friday mid day because they close by 3pm (ET) and are not in on weekends. A very nice woman called me back at 6pm (ET) and said that Brandon was still waiting on the pastry team to give him a quote.

Explained that I thought time was of the essence since this is for July 30 and she agreed. Stated that someone should call me today. Hopefully I won't be too busy at work to answer.

I also asked her if all the "standing" images on their cakes are printed on chocolate or if they are 3-d. She told me most of what they do is this or laying it flat on the cake. Neither of which gets me excited. Personally I think that too much like a bakery/grocery store cake for the cost. Glad I asked. Hopefully Brandon can shed some light on this when we talk.

I also asked her if all the "standing" images on their cakes are printed on chocolate or if they are 3-d. She told me most of what they do is this or laying it flat on the cake. Neither of which gets me excited. Personally I think that too much like a bakery/grocery store cake for the cost. Glad I asked. Hopefully Brandon can shed some light on this when we talk.

Yes, Disney's definition of a "standing image" is a screen print on white chocolate that has been propped up. The only way to get a 3-D character is to pay for one of the white chocolate figures listed in Post #1. The pastry team is not allowed to sculpt Disney characters from scratch.

Thanks, Lurkyloo.
I was actually wanting 50 standing on the cake not a character.
I guess I was confused as I thought I saw a 3-d Stitch on a cake somewhere on this thread.

Still waiting for a call. Given the time zone difference and that I work until after they are closed, I thought I'd call again on my lunch hour.

Thanks, Lurkyloo.
I was actually wanting 50 standing on the cake not a character.
I guess I was confused as I thought I saw a 3-d Stitch on a cake somewhere on this thread.

Still waiting for a call. Given the time zone difference and that I work until after they are closed, I thought I'd call again on my lunch hour.
There is a white chocolate Stitch (formed by a mold) that they can use on the cakes vs simply a picture printed on white chocolate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!