Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

I've never posted but I got a TON of useful information from this thread over the last couple of weeks while trying to decide on and order a cake for my daughter's birthday next week. Figured I'd pass along my experience so far in case it helps anyone else out, especially since I couldn't find many posts about a Tower of Terror themed cake.

We are having a cake delivered to Yachtsman Steakhouse next week. I called and spoke to whoever answered the phone on the number listed for Yacht & Beach Club in the first thread here. She was friendly and helpful and took down the basic information for our cake (Size: 8", there are 8 of us; Flavor: Chocolate w/chocolate buttercream; budget: $100-150; and theme: Tower of Terror). She told me that she would pass that information to the pastry team and someone would email me with options and pricing.

2 days later I received an email from Yacht and Beach Club In-Room Dining with 3 options for the cake. They could do a buttercream cake with a standing 2D image of the Hollywood Tower Hotel and some fondant decorations such as lightning and a band around the cake in the maroon and gold colors of the bellhop uniform for $100 or the same but with a flat image of the hotel for $85, or the cake with no image but some fondant decorations for $70.

I emailed back and asked if I could get the hotel key, hotel monogram, and possibly a Mickey Mouse white chocolate figurine painted in the bellhop uniform. She replied that the key and the monogram could be done but they are not allowed to alter Mickey's clothes. He can only be painted in his traditional outfit. (Not a problem since he would have been $150 alone!) She also told me that they cannot do the hotel monogram on the cake OR the key because the pastry team did not have permission from legal to use it. They could ask for permission but it would take up to 30 days and our trip is sooner than that.

In the end, I asked if they could put the number 15 on the key (kind of the like a room number, but relevant because it's my daughter's 15th birthday) and if they could add a couple of old-fashioned suitcases like the the ones in the Tower of Terror lobby and they said yes!

So, we are getting an 8" Tower of Terror cake frosted with buttercream with a maroon and gold band around it with a standing 2D image of the hotel, a Hollywood Tower Hotel room key (without the hotel monogram, but with a # 15 on it) and 2 fondant old fashioned suitcases. The price for this cake will be $140.

I will try to post some pictures when we get back in a couple of weeks!

Happy Cake planning to all!

I've never posted but I got a TON of useful information from this thread over the last couple of weeks while trying to decide on and order a cake for my daughter's birthday next week. Figured I'd pass along my experience so far in case it helps anyone else out, especially since I couldn't find many posts about a Tower of Terror themed cake.

We are having a cake delivered to Yachtsman Steakhouse next week. I called and spoke to whoever answered the phone on the number listed for Yacht & Beach Club in the first thread here. She was friendly and helpful and took down the basic information for our cake (Size: 8", there are 8 of us; Flavor: Chocolate w/chocolate buttercream; budget: $100-150; and theme: Tower of Terror). She told me that she would pass that information to the pastry team and someone would email me with options and pricing.

2 days later I received an email from Yacht and Beach Club In-Room Dining with 3 options for the cake. They could do a buttercream cake with a standing 2D image of the Hollywood Tower Hotel and some fondant decorations such as lightning and a band around the cake in the maroon and gold colors of the bellhop uniform for $100 or the same but with a flat image of the hotel for $85, or the cake with no image but some fondant decorations for $70.

I emailed back and asked if I could get the hotel key, hotel monogram, and possibly a Mickey Mouse white chocolate figurine painted in the bellhop uniform. She replied that the key and the monogram could be done but they are not allowed to alter Mickey's clothes. He can only be painted in his traditional outfit. (Not a problem since he would have been $150 alone!) She also told me that they cannot do the hotel monogram on the cake OR the key because the pastry team did not have permission from legal to use it. They could ask for permission but it would take up to 30 days and our trip is sooner than that.

In the end, I asked if they could put the number 15 on the key (kind of the like a room number, but relevant because it's my daughter's 15th birthday) and if they could add a couple of old-fashioned suitcases like the the ones in the Tower of Terror lobby and they said yes!

So, we are getting an 8" Tower of Terror cake frosted with buttercream with a maroon and gold band around it with a standing 2D image of the hotel, a Hollywood Tower Hotel room key (without the hotel monogram, but with a # 15 on it) and 2 fondant old fashioned suitcases. The price for this cake will be $140.

Sounds awesome! Can’t wait to see pics!!!

Hi everyone, first post! I also had difficulty with ordering a cake from the Contemporary. We needed the cake early August 2019 so I started calling at the end of June. I left messages three times and my call was never returned. On the fourth try, someone answered. I asked for a white cake, white chocolate mousse filling, all white frosting, some glitter, with Beauty and the Beast on top. I was ok with the BB white chocolate print and knew it would be in color. I let them know that this was supposed to be our wedding cake, and I didn't expect something grand, but I wanted it to look somewhat "wedding", not like a kid's birthday party cake. They said no problem. There was no confirmation of the cake order, so a month later I started to worry that there wouldn't be a cake. I called the hotline again. After being passed around on the phone for an hour to different cast members that had no idea what I was talking about (not their fault) I was finally transferred to management at CR. The person I talked to was kind and apologetic and ended up giving us a room credit for the cake. He also explained that the cake order is actually tied to the restaurant reservation number....which....ok, that's great, and helpful for cast members, but that's not really helpful for guests as a way to check on/confirm the cake order. The cutting was a huge mess too, because the cake was hard from being refrigerated. It tasted ok, slightly better than a cake from Wal-Mart or Publix. The white chocolate mousse filling was the best part. Sadly, this cake would not have been worth the cost, and I just wanted to share in case anyone else is considering ordering a cake from CR. If I had a do-over, I would have chosen the white Mickey dome celebration cake. Honestly, we just wanted something we could cut and say we had "wedding cake" as more of a symbolic gesture than anything. And it would have been half the price without the hassle. Staff at the Wave was amazing though....boxed up the cake top for us and took some pics of us with the cake. It would be nice if the process of ordering cake from CR was easier. From reading through posts, it sounds like service, quality and choices are very inconsistent across property and experiences range from amazing to meh to terrible.

I will be at disneyworld in a couple of weeks for DD’s sweet 16. I would like to get her a cake with the large chocolate Cinderella’s castle on top, but I don’t want a huge cake. Does anyone know if the chocolate castle would fit on a 6”? Also we would prefer buttercream - would that work with the large castle? Thanks!

Has anyone with nut allergies ordered a custom cake recently? Just wondering if they accommodate.

I will be at disneyworld in a couple of weeks for DD’s sweet 16. I would like to get her a cake with the large chocolate Cinderella’s castle on top, but I don’t want a huge cake. Does anyone know if the chocolate castle would fit on a 6”? Also we would prefer buttercream - would that work with the large castle? Thanks!

Yes, the standard white chocolate castle fits atop a 6-inch cake. There just won't be room for anything else up there!

IMG_1093.jpg

There's no reason they can't put it on a buttercream-covered cake.

I'm looking for advice on a vegan cake to be presented for dinner at Jiko for my daughter's 18th birthday. I understand that there is a standard vegan cake I can order. I'm also considering ordering from Erin McKenna's bakery in Disney Springs but I can't seem to find photos. I read that they don't do Disney-themed cakes. I'm also wondering if Jiko does a special birthday dessert presentation. We wouldn't want to miss out on that! Has anyone had an Erin McKenna birthday cake delivered and how did it look? Does Jiko do anything special?

Thanks! (13 days and counting...)

Hi everyone! I’m getting ready to contact the GF for my cake order. I’m going to get something like what’s in the picture. I realize I’m going to first have to describe it on my call. What would you call this pattern of frosting? I guess I should describe that I want it to be ombré from dark to light too to bottom. At some point do they ask for a photo?

Any ideas for a cute topper? It’s for a 78th birthday. Probably 10 inch. 77E1690B-228C-4028-BE33-46DD615E847D.png77E1690B-228C-4028-BE33-46DD615E847D.png

Hi everyone! I’m getting ready to contact the GF for my cake order. I’m going to get something like what’s in the picture. I realize I’m going to first have to describe it on my call. What would you call this pattern of frosting? I guess I should describe that I want it to be ombré from dark to light too to bottom. At some point do they ask for a photo?

Any ideas for a cute topper? It’s for a 78th birthday. Probably 10 inch. View attachment 423416View attachment 423416

i don’t know if i’ve seen a cake like this from a disney bakery, but it’s a pretty popular design in the “real” world. i think they’ll know the style. i’d probably say i want the cake covered in an ombré pattern of piped rosettes?

as for a topper, i would pick something special for the person you’re surprising. a favourite ride or character? i think a printed image would maybe clash with the classy flowers you want. a white chocolate figurine of a favorite echaracter would look pretty though! there’s a list of options in lurkyloos first post.

Any ideas for a cute topper? It’s for a 78th birthday. Probably 10 inch.

I would describe that as ombre rosettes, from light pink at the bottom to white at the top.

Great, thanks!! Rosettes is the term I was looking for!

This cake is for my aunt, turning 78. I wouldn't say she has any character faves. She's not really a Disney fan/fanatic and is going along for the kids/grandkids trip. I'll have to find something a little more generic. Maybe a chocolate tiara or something, although not sure how that would look with the pink. I need to keep thinking. And to @marchingstar, you're correct in that it's not a Disney design but it seems to be everywhere else. I'd love to find a cool, adult cake that has been made a Disney before, but so far I haven't had much luck with these photos. A couple of recent posters were going to post something when their cakes were done, but haven't seen those show up yet.

Another question: looking at the fillings, what is "fruit mousse?" Custard with strawberries I get. Can the strawberries come with the fruit mousse or is that something else entirely?

Hello, last update until I post pics on Tuesday, 7/30 from the Sci-Fi Drive-In.

$75 for 8" vanilla with raspberry mousse and white buttercream icing (smoothed to resemble fondant)
Fab 50 in three dimensional letters, not printed on a piece of white chocolate. Not sure that those letter will be standing, but they will be dimensional in fondant. Fondant stars/fireworks on sticks.

Cake will also have a fondant silver slipper icon and several other icon silhouettes around the sides of the cake. These icons actually represent the characters of the family members who are traveling with me. Hopefully it will resemble the T-shirt (photo attached) that I helped design which I will wear on my birthday on Thursday at MK.

Will post pics and review next week!!! Thanks for all your advice!

Hey @dbaker375, did you ever post that cake pic anywhere?

Another question: looking at the fillings, what is "fruit mousse?" Custard with strawberries I get. Can the strawberries come with the fruit mousse or is that something else entirely?

Fruit mousse is where they puree the fruit (strawberries, raspberries, whatever you request) into a smooth mousse rather than stirring chunks into the filling.

@princessmocha - Hi there! Just checking to see if you were happy with your Tiki Room inspired mini-cake from GF? If so, do you have pictures? My "30-days til cake" deadline is coming up next week and would like to reference your cake when I speak with Pat.

Thank you!!

I can not wait to see the cake. We are going in Dec. for our son's 16th birthday. His favorite ride is Tower of Terror and I am planning on ordering a ToT cake.

Anyone order a cake for Victoria and Albert's? We're going for my parents anniversary and my sister and I thought we could surprise them with something. I'm sure we're going to be super full from the meal, but I'm not sure how else to make it special.

Anyone order a cake for Victoria and Albert's? We're going for my parents anniversary and my sister and I thought we could surprise them with something. I'm sure we're going to be super full from the meal, but I'm not sure how else to make it special.
After my wedding meal at V&As when they offered the chocolates after dessert (2 desserts) I asked for a box because even a little chocolate was too much more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!