Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

I was hesitant about getting a cake from YC a couple years back for my BFF's birthday surprise - mostly, because no one was really requesting fun cakes or posting pictures or what they had delivered to the room.

You know what? It was the BEST cake I've ever seen in my life and it's cool now to see what the YC/BC pastry team is doing two years later.

With the new Gran Destino Tower at Coronado Springs and all the offerings they have, I would at least try to see if Coronado can do something for you first before you stress yourself over other options.
I'm definitely considering it. Overall I'm not sure if we'll be in the hotel long enough for everyone to enjoy, so I really don't want a huge cake where we have to take it home. I have a little time to decide at least.

I'm editing the post i had put here a few hours ago with the answer!
Yes, Pop is great at returning messages and SUPER easy to deal with! I told her (dang i didn't write down her name) that i wanted small, basic & cheap and she laughed! No problem, suggested the mini-cake before i even said that's what i want. I was given the option of chocolate, white or marble cake, white, strawberry mousse, raspberry mouse (and i think she also said chocolate) filling and chocolate or white buttercream, white or dark chocolate Ganache, or white fondant for icing. I could get any number of toppings and i told her she was overwhelming me with choices :P

Here's what i ordered:
Marble cake with strawberry mousse filling, white buttercream frosting, chocolate Mickey ears on the top and multi-coloured hidden Mickey heads all over the cake. Total cost:$37.28 that will be charged to my card 72 hours before delivery. She said if i don't see the charge by then to call and make sure it hasn't been lost! She's attached the note to both my sister and her daughter's reservation number to help it get there on the right day!

THANKS so much for all the help to make this a reality!

Last edited:
this is great news! I'm not going but I've roped her daughter into helping me with this. She has the obnoxious 60th napkins and plates that she's taking in her diaper bag when they go to boma for breakie. My sister isn't happy about turning 60 but it will take more than leaving the country to keep me from pointing that out 😜
I did think that the cake would be better in the resort so she can actually appreciate it, thanks for your help

hey pal, welcome to the world of disney cakes!

since you have someone helping, i would suggest that the easiest option might just be to send your niece with a gift card to cover the cost of the cake? i prepaid last trip and had no problems (GF, not Boardwalk), but a gift card would ensure no hiccups.

edited to say i see you’ve already gotten things sorted (yay!). i’m leaving my comment though, just in case it helps anyone else in the future. ask your family to share a pic so we can see the creation!

hey pal, welcome to the world of disney cakes!

since you have someone helping, i would suggest that the easiest option might just be to send your niece with a gift card to cover the cost of the cake? i prepaid last trip and had no problems (GF, not Boardwalk), but a gift card would ensure no hiccups.

edited to say i see you’ve already gotten things sorted (yay!). i’m leaving my comment though, just in case it helps anyone else in the future. ask your family to share a pic so we can see the creation!
That would have been a good idea but would involve me finding a way & time to get the gift card to my niece!

The only big problem that this has caused? We'll be celebrating our 35th anniversary when we go in January and I'm now tempted to get some kind of cake to surprise hubby 🤔🤣

That would have been a good idea but would involve me finding a way & time to get the gift card to my niece!

The only big problem that this has caused? We'll be celebrating our 35th anniversary when we go in January and I'm now tempted to get some kind of cake to surprise hubby 🤔🤣

oh you absolutely should!! our first visit as a couple was to celebrate our anniversary, and it’s also the first time i ordered a cake. it’s somewhere on here, but it was a mini cake that was Up themed. it was amazing, but got me hooked on ordering cakes.

I just ordered my first cake from Pat @ GF! The theme is our first DVC trip as owners at the Polynesian. Cake will be a mini 2-tier (chocolate with raspberry mousse) and covered with light aqua fondant. Top tier will resemble a tiki face and the bottom will be decorated with "bamboo". Tropical flowers will be the topper and a banner with "Welcome Home" will be placed with the cake.

Other than picking out the cake flavors, all the ideas came from Pat and I thought they sounded great so I just went with it! Cake is $60 plus tax. Payment for cake and sales tax is collected by GF. Since the Poly actually delivers the cake to our room, a $5 delivery charge and 18% gratuity will appear on my bill during our resort stay.

I will definitely post a picture when we return at the end of September!

Thank you Carrie for this awesome thread and all the great information!!

I'm looking for advice on a vegan cake to be presented for dinner at Jiko for my daughter's 18th birthday. I understand that there is a standard vegan cake I can order. I'm also considering ordering from Erin McKenna's bakery in Disney Springs but I can't seem to find photos. I read that they don't do Disney-themed cakes. I'm also wondering if Jiko does a special birthday dessert presentation. We wouldn't want to miss out on that! Has anyone had an Erin McKenna birthday cake delivered and how did it look? Does Jiko do anything special?

Thanks! (13 days and counting...)

In case it helps someone else, I called the Cake Hotline, but no one returned my call. I called Jiko and they directed me to Erin McKenna's for vegan cake. They were very helpful and responded immediately by phone and email with ideas and pictures. They can't do actual Disney characters but they can theme it. We're doing a Cinderella design with blue frosting and white draped ribbons. My daughter will be so excited to have a real birthday cake! It will be delivered to Jiko and will be added to our dinner bill. I will post again with photos and let you know how it came out.

3 days to go!

In case it helps someone else, I called the Cake Hotline, but no one returned my call. I called Jiko and they directed me to Erin McKenna's for vegan cake. They were very helpful and responded immediately by phone and email with ideas and pictures. They can't do actual Disney characters but they can theme it. We're doing a Cinderella design with blue frosting and white draped ribbons. My daughter will be so excited to have a real birthday cake! It will be delivered to Jiko and will be added to our dinner bill. I will post again with photos and let you know how it came out.

3 days to go!

Can't wait to see how it turns out! It would also be super-helpful if you can post the inspiration pictures they sent you so we have a record of what Erin McKenna's can do.

So these pictures are making me wonder if Coronado Springs will become a cake haven? Not sure if the Weddings go through the resort they're held at or if there is a different process. I'm sure @lurkyloo will set me straight. :)

Either way - this makes me more interested to try out a cake at CS...

:rotfl: So most wedding cakes are made by a special team based at the Grand Floridian, no matter where the event is being held (unless it's an Escape wedding not at the GF). But the fact that they're going to be offering catered events like weddings at Coronado makes me hopeful that they'll have an in-house pastry team that can pull off fancier cakes now!

:rotfl: So most wedding cakes are made by a special team based at the Grand Floridian, no matter where the event is being held (unless it's an Escape wedding not at the GF). But the fact that they're going to be offering catered events like weddings at Coronado makes me hopeful that they'll have an in-house pastry team that can pull off fancier cakes now!

I'm leaning toward trying them out for October. Will definitely post here if and when I do.

We're staying at the BC at the end of next month. I'm going to call about ordering a birthday cake tomorrow but I wanted to ask you guys a couple of questions.
I cant decide between ToT or Expedition Everest.
Has anyone had either of these done? I dont even know what to ask for. DS will be turning 12 so I'd like it to be as "cool" and detailed as possible. I just really want him to be blown away.
That means fondant right? I was thinking 6 inch. 1 or 2 layers, that doesn't matter. I'd like to stay under $150.

Is that enough information for them to go on?

Long overdue post. We ordered a cake to be delivered for my DD10 birthday at Cape May. We were completely blown away with how amazing it turned out. By far my favorite cake we've ever ordered. We asked for a drip cake that was donut themed. However, the donuts would be fondant and would increase the price by $50. So they did macarons instead, and it was fantastic. Heres the finished product. It was only $60. Sorry, I cant figure out how to flip this image !20190223_184107.jpg

Still haven't come up with my design for my aunt's birthday and time's running out!!

Does anyone know if they do a dark chocolate tiara cake topper? I know Citricos will generally serve those on their dessert birthday dishes. I'll be ordering the cake from the GF and having it delivered to our Citrico's dinner.

Here's our "Celebrating Family" cake from GF, served at Citricos. 8 inch vanilla cake and buttercream with custard and strawberry filling. Price was $75 - I left the decorations up to the bakers and they did pastel Mickey heads in a wave on the side and sprinkles on top. We are a family of bakers and all agreed the cake was delicious. We were celebrating birthdays for 2 grandchildren and an anniversary. Citricos did a fabulous job - brought the cake out with ice cream for the grands and champagne for their parents. Nancy then took the cake to the back to cut and served. Came back to see if anyone wanted seconds - we did!!

Earlier in the trip we had a Mickey Celebration dome - all chocolate. I have to say it was my favorite. Wonderful chocolate and very rich. We had it delivered to the room (GF) and they personalized the ears for our granddaughter.

Attachments

• IMG_0986.JPG
    IMG_0986.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 224
I got my ds11 cake ordered! So far it's been a great experience.
I called the cake line I found here for the Yacht and BC. Danny answered the phone. She was very sweet. I told her our first choice was a Marvel cake and she said she would have to check if they can do Marvel.
Our 2nd choice was a golf themed cake. I emailed her a picture of a cake if found on Google and she said they can do it for $75. I thought that was reasonable.
Our 3rd choice was a ToT cake and that was quoted at $95. Also seemed reasonable since it had a lot of detail.
All quotes were for 6 in with buttercream frosting with fondant decorations.
We went with the golf cake.
I'll let you guys know how it turns out!

So first time posting but wanted to thank you all. Was able to use all your wonderful tips and get 2 cakes last September. The first was at Yacht Club had it delivered to our room as a surprise for my DH and I's 10th anniversary. (He had known about the 2nd cake and assumed all the questions were ideas for that!) It was a 8" Vanilla cake with tropical mousse filling with fondant for $130. It was delicious and he loved it!

The 2nd was at Animal Kingdom. I had it delivered at dinner at Jiko. Jennifer from private dining was wonderful!!! This trip had been celebrating my remission from breast cancer and my husband and I wanted to get it to thank our family (7 people total) for taking such great care of us! So the phrase was my idea and then I let them pick. All I wanted is something Lilo and Stitch themed. The server at Jiko was able to discreetly ask me when I wanted it served and then at the end of the meal after boxing, she smiled at me and nodded before bringing it out. It went perfectly and everyone loved it. It was again a 8" vanilla cake, with custard and raspberries. Again delicious!!!
While both groups were easy to work with. Animal Kingdom by far was the nicest. If you get Jennifer it will go so smoothly. The Jiko cms were also on top of it and so sweet!

Does anyone know if I can do a Star Wars Themed cake at Hollywood Brown Derby? (meaning fondant custom cake delivered there)

Does anyone know if I can do a Star Wars Themed cake at Hollywood Brown Derby? (meaning fondant custom cake delivered there)

According to the info on the first page of this thread, it seems you can. From the link in the first post:

Walt Disney World Cake Options By Location
For complete details and FAQs about ordering a cake at Walt Disney World, CLICK HERE.

Hollywood Studios — 407-827-2253
CLICK HERE to see examples of cakes made by Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
  • Mickey Mouse Celebration Dome Cake: $35 chocolate cake with chocolate mousse or vanilla cake with white chocolate mousse
  • 6-inch $35 chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream or vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream; screen prints not available
  • 8-inch $40 custom vanilla, chocolate or marble cake; filling is chocolate or vanilla buttercream, white or dark chocolate mousse, strawberry or raspberry mousse, or chocolate ganache; frosting is vanilla or chocolate buttercream or whipped cream
  • 10-inch $70 custom cake, same options as 8-inch custom cake
  • Screen print costs $32
  • Fondant decor starts at $30

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!