Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

WOW! That UP cake is beautiful! 😍

I have been reading this forum for a long while now as I am hoping to order my first Disney custom cake for this November for my Sister's 21st Birthday. I was hoping to have it during our meal at California Grill but having read recent posts I am worried about using the CR. I am only after a mini cake as there will only be the two of us so I am just wondering if anyone has any recent experience of CR's mini cakes as I am based in the UK so am hoping for as few phone calls back and forth as I do not want a massive phone bill. 😝

My sister's cake was delivered today, I'm happy that part worked out. She's thrilled because it was a complete surprise, but I'm not overly impressed with what she got compared to what I expected. The cake looks sloppy, off centre and had nothing on the top. It was supposed to have chocolate Mickey ears on top. She added the candles herself since they came with the card I sent!
20190824_155937.jpg

My sister's cake was delivered today, I'm happy that part worked out. She's thrilled because it was a complete surprise, but I'm not overly impressed with what she got compared to what I expected. The cake looks sloppy, off centre and had nothing on the top. It was supposed to have chocolate Mickey ears on top. She added the candles herself since they came with the card I sent!
View attachment 429012

I can see why you aren't super impressed with this cake. I agree that it looks off center and that's a big bummer about the missing mickey ears on top. If that was included in the price of the quote, maybe call and ask for that part refunded (not sure if the cost of the ears alone is very significant). It also seems a little lazy that they just wrote "Happy 60th" and not the word Birthday after (unless you requested this specific wording?), and the colors of the mickey heads are kind of plain. The part that's really confusing my brain though is the line of icing pearls that comes down vertically from the left side of the "H". It seems like it's going up from the first layer, but it doesn't appear to be connected to the second layer? I think my eyes just suck, but for some reason I can't figure out what that line is connected to.

I hope that the cake at least tasted good and sorry it didn't turn out the way you had hoped.

I can see why you aren't super impressed with this cake. I agree that it looks off center and that's a big bummer about the missing mickey ears on top. If that was included in the price of the quote, maybe call and ask for that part refunded (not sure if the cost of the ears alone is very significant). It also seems a little lazy that they just wrote "Happy 60th" and not the word Birthday after (unless you requested this specific wording?), and the colors of the mickey heads are kind of plain. The part that's really confusing my brain though is the line of icing pearls that comes down vertically from the left side of the "H". It seems like it's going up from the first layer, but it doesn't appear to be connected to the second layer? I think my eyes just suck, but for some reason I can't figure out what that line is connected to.

I hope that the cake at least tasted good and sorry it didn't turn out the way you had hoped.
It appears that the "pearls" you're referencing border the top of the bottom layer. For some reason, they seem to have left it one pearl short. I'm glad the OP's sister was thrilled. That's all that matters. That said, I wouldn't be happy, if I bought this cake.

It appears that the "pearls" you're referencing border the top of the bottom layer. For some reason, they seem to have left it one pearl short. I'm glad the OP's sister was thrilled. That's all that matters. That said, I wouldn't be happy, if I bought this cake.

Ahh okay, I see it now. I think it threw me off because it was such a straight line of them that it didn't look like the edge of the round cake.

I contacted the Beach Club cake line about an Alice in Wonderland themed cake. Melissa sent me these pictures. I wanted to share what she sent me. My daughter wants the mad hatter unbirthday cake.

Attachments

• 5EC5A528-D929-45FF-8D7C-CFBB0AC52839.jpeg
    5EC5A528-D929-45FF-8D7C-CFBB0AC52839.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 257
  • 4234E36B-0287-4C9C-AC71-710313D600C6.jpeg
    4234E36B-0287-4C9C-AC71-710313D600C6.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 262
  • C099F209-0317-4EA0-9421-795ABD22E345.jpeg
    C099F209-0317-4EA0-9421-795ABD22E345.jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 256
  • AEEE57DB-D08C-4D63-A5A7-85483FBCB914.jpeg
    AEEE57DB-D08C-4D63-A5A7-85483FBCB914.jpeg
    38.4 KB · Views: 248

WOW! That UP cake is beautiful! 😍

I have been reading this forum for a long while now as I am hoping to order my first Disney custom cake for this November for my Sister's 21st Birthday. I was hoping to have it during our meal at California Grill but having read recent posts I am worried about using the CR. I am only after a mini cake as there will only be the two of us so I am just wondering if anyone has any recent experience of CR's mini cakes as I am based in the UK so am hoping for as few phone calls back and forth as I do not want a massive phone bill. 😝

I also live in the UK and had a 21st b'day cake ordered for my daughter end of Oct last year. I made one phone call and left my e-mail address and communicated via e-mail after that. I have to say I spent a lot of money on the cake and despite several messages back and forth that cake wasn't decorated the way that I had wanted it to be. It was decorated the way that they wanted to decorate it, i.e. they sent me some pictures as to what they could do. I wasn't completely happy with their suggestions so I asked if it could be modified. After discussion I was happy with what they were going to do and agreed on the price. When the cake was brought to the table it was identical to one of the photos that they had sent me! :-o Then after the meal there was issues about getting the cake boxed up. I have to say the cake tasted lovely so I was happy with that but disappointed that it hadn't turned out the way that I had envisaged it!

I've gotten in touch with the GF bakery and working on my cake. The first ideas I had were for faded piped rosettes (which I thought were an easy thing to do with cakes--according to the internet!!) but my cake price went up to $150 for a 10-inch cake. So I'm back to the drawing board with trying to simplify, cut down to an 8 inch cake (with 16 people), and see if I can still make it look better than something from the grocery store for $85.

This week's episode of the Disney Wedding Podcast features a Beauty and the Beast-inspired wedding cake for a Magic Kingdom/Grand Floridian wedding!

PH641850319%20-%200593%20copy_zpshy5bqttf.jpg

PH641850319%20-%200858%20copy%202_zps99ohodcq.jpg

PH641850319%20-%200857_zpssljkmzrv.jpg

PH641850319%20-%200411_zps35ywjp40.jpg

Finally got my cake ordered for our November Citricos dinner. We've got 16 people and the birthday gal will be 78. She's not overly a Disney fanatic so it made it sort of hard to pick something that was character related. We kept it to something feminine, so we'll have a 10-inch round, pink buttercream. Piped small Mickey heads on the side. The top will include a fondant bow. Birthday message will be written along the banner of the bow. On the front of the cake, the flowers that would normally go on top (only two were allowed in standard price) will be put down at the bottom on the "front" of the cake. There will be some pretty piping around the top and bottom edge to finish it off. Chocolate cake with a whipped buttercream layer. $100. I worked with Pat at the GF and as we worked through it, I told her I needed to do something to it to make it look a little better than something I might get a my grocery store so she came up with the fondant bow. I think the Mickey heads I added will help also.

Anything more customized (more flowers, designs, a crown, etc.) really pushed the price way up, surprisingly.

Is it okay to ask who did that cake?

Is it okay to ask who did that cake?
I had it delivered to POP so Boardwalk? The woman i spoke to on the phone was super helpful and I'm not sure where the wheels fell off (maybe that's what happened? got damaged in transit?)

So our visit isn't before in 2020, but I'm beginning to wonder if I should get a custom cake or not. It's just the two of us and we will, unless something unexpected happens, be celebrating the end of our long distance relationship. However, after reading some of these post is seems that the decorations might be more limited than I was hoping. Is it so that they only have a few images that they can print on the cake, and if they don't have an image of it then it's a no go?

View attachment 429012

I don’t blame you for being a bit disappointed with the cake itself. It’s cute, but it sounds like it just didn’t meet your expectations (which were very reasonable!).

I’m glad the surprise was a hit, though! One year I had an awful cake. To start with, it was white when it should have been dark purple/blue. The list goes from there... It was a surprise for my wife, and while I was really disappointed with the design because it didn’t at all meet my expectations, it tasted great and she loved the surprise. I just try to hang on to the good surprise part.

So our visit isn't before in 2020, but I'm beginning to wonder if I should get a custom cake or not. It's just the two of us and we will, unless something unexpected happens, be celebrating the end of our long distance relationship. However, after reading some of these post is seems that the decorations might be more limited than I was hoping. Is it so that they only have a few images that they can print on the cake, and if they don't have an image of it then it's a no go?

In the past, bakeries have been pretty good about working with you to get approval for specific images that aren’t already in their system. But that’s only going to work if you contact a bakery with tons of advanced notice.

Some characters are an absolute no-go because of licensing, like Winnie the Pooh. There’s been mixed experiences with others, like Star Wars.

What’s the specific design you’re thinking of?

Over the past 5 years, I’ve ordered 4 cakes. One was disappointing, the other three were beautiful. The disappointing one was the cheapest quoted price. So in my experience, you’ll get what you want but you’ll definitely pay for it. You might also need to order a larger cake to fit the design. As a couple, you could either take the cake back to your hotel and eat it over the next few days, or you could offer to share with some close tables?

Does anyone know why DCL has access to an allergy friendly Mickey Cake but the actual resorts/restaurants for WDW do not? I want to order a cake for our pre cruise resort stay. Once we are on the ship we have so much food there’s no sense ordering a cake!

Okay everyone - just ordered a Haunted Mansion themed 6 inch marble cake with dark chocolate mousse from Wilderness Lodge to be delivered to dinner at Storybook Dining at Artist Point on 10/24 for my friends birthday.

Quoted $83.00 on the phone today and was told we will have the Haunted Mansion wallpaper around the cake with a 2-D Print of Madam Leota. The lady on the phone (whose name I do not remember) asked what other HM elements we wanted and I said leave it to the pastry team but do not go over the price quoted please.

So we shall see what we get! I'm nervous and excited! Previously I have worked with the Yacht Club Team and they were amazing, so I am sure Wilderness Lodge will knock it out of the park!

Off to WDW this weekend. We (fiancé and I) are staying just one night at the Yacht Club before moving to AKL for the week, so it seemed like the perfect opportunity to try out the Yacht Club bakery. This is my first cake order after a couple of years of reading here and regular trips to WDW. No real occasion other than wanting to finally order a custom cake -- but, we are considering getting married at WDW, so will consider it like a preview of the cake tasting :)

Here's what I requested:
- 6" lavender cake, strawberry basil mousse filling
- deep blue fondant (originally requested buttercream, but the bakery made the point that dark buttercream will stain our mouths/teeth and alter the taste, so fondant it is)
- gold Mickey head constellation piped on top of cake
- a few real-life constellations on sides of cake, with some stars filling the "open sky"
- price quote: $69

If you haven't guessed by now, the cake design is inspired by the super adorable Yacht Club room curtains! This is my SO's first ever stay at the Yacht Club, hopefully he likes the surprise.

Will post photos/thoughts when back~!

Hello All,

I wanted to give you all information on the cake I had delivered to Flying Fish Cafe for my 26th year wedding anniversary dinner with my husband. Here are the specifics:

CAKE: Fondant 8" Chocolate cake with strawberry mousse filling and vanilla buttercream under the fondant
BAKERY: Boardwalk Bakery
DECOR: Haunted Mansion with purple wall paper fondant and white chocolate screen topper, grey and red roses
COST: $155 but I had my tables in wonderland card so I got 20% off so with the 20% delivery fee it ended up being $155 total.

All in all it was a pretty easy process thanks to all the information I learned from you folks on this board and especially from Lurkeyloo (thanks Carrie!).

My husband did not know about the surprise until I asked the waitress for the special dessert of the day as she was taking back our dessert menus and then he looked at me and said "what did you do?"...lol. The folks at the bakery were very nice. I called the number for Boardwalk on the disney travel babble cake page first and spoke with Stephanie. She was lovely and we emailed back and forth a few times about what I wanted and I sent her pictures. Then I called the bakery with my credit card number once we agreed on design and cost. Overall, the cake came out beautifully and it tasted very good. I'm a little spoiled when it comes to cake because we have a bakery near me in NJ that has amazing cakes however Disney's was good. My only issue was that it was a little expensive and if I hadn't had my 20% off from TIW card, it definitely would have been cost prohibitive. I initially asked for a 6" cake but I was told they only do 8" now. That was news to me. Anyway I hope you all find this information helpfulIMG_3257.jpgIMG_3259.jpgIMG_3260.jpg.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!