Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

They brought over a plate of macaroons and called it a day but my mom wasn't having that. Our server brought us out a mickey dome cake. Guest services made it right once we went downstairs. My little girl was just super bummed. I just don't understand, we've ordered several cakes from them with no issues, in the past.

Unfortunately, this has happened to many others over the years, at pretty much every Disney restaurant. I always recommend calling 2 or 3 days before to reconfirm everything, but even that doesn't always guarantee you'll actually get a cake. What a bummer. The Contemporary used to be such a great place for custom cakes.

So by that, do you mean that we should try to call our specific cake line back? I have booked a cake through the GF (Pat). Incredibly hard to just get her on the phone, so not sure how confirming would help. Or would it be better to contact the restaurant?

So by that, do you mean that we should try to call our specific cake line back? I have booked a cake through the GF (Pat). Incredibly hard to just get her on the phone, so not sure how confirming would help. Or would it be better to contact the restaurant?

I would keep trying Pat, but if you can't get through to her, you can also confirm all the details by calling the main Private Dining line at the GF: 407-824-2474. The restaurant won't know anything about the cake until it is delivered.

I would keep trying Pat, but if you can't get through to her, you can also confirm all the details by calling the main Private Dining line at the GF: 407-824-2474. The restaurant won't know anything about the cake until it is delivered.

Thanks. Getting in touch with Pat was no easy feat!!

This week's Disney Wedding Podcast cake was made by Aulani!

Our%20Disney%20Aulani%20Wedding%20-%20June%2028%202019%20182%20of%201468_zpsnknrz51d.jpg

Our%20Disney%20Aulani%20Wedding%20-%20June%2028%202019%201112%20of%201468_zpsbyk89q1t.jpg

Our%20Disney%20Aulani%20Wedding%20-%20June%2028%202019%201111%20of%201468_zpshsmsx3cl.jpg
That is PRECIOUS (no pun intended, hehe!)

Off to WDW this weekend. We (fiancé and I) are staying just one night at the Yacht Club before moving to AKL for the week, so it seemed like the perfect opportunity to try out the Yacht Club bakery. This is my first cake order after a couple of years of reading here and regular trips to WDW. No real occasion other than wanting to finally order a custom cake -- but, we are considering getting married at WDW, so will consider it like a preview of the cake tasting :)

Here's what I requested:
- 6" lavender cake, strawberry basil mousse filling
- deep blue fondant (originally requested buttercream, but the bakery made the point that dark buttercream will stain our mouths/teeth and alter the taste, so fondant it is)
- gold Mickey head constellation piped on top of cake
- a few real-life constellations on sides of cake, with some stars filling the "open sky"
- price quote: $69

If you haven't guessed by now, the cake design is inspired by the super adorable Yacht Club room curtains! This is my SO's first ever stay at the Yacht Club, hopefully he likes the surprise.

Will post photos/thoughts when back~!

Overly detailed thoughts ahead :)

The total cost charged was $91.23, so I think the breakdown was ~$71 + 6.5% sales tax + 18% + $3. I have Tables in Wonderland but could not convince my DF to eat at Yachtsman Steakhouse that night (we had a FEA dessert party reservation...), so room service it was.

"What went wrong" (which I have long gotten over) includes:
- A week ahead of time I asked to please deliver the cake at 7pm instead of 5pm (original time) because I knew we would probably be in our room and not leave for Epcot until~6pm. They confirmed the new time.
We were power-napping at 4:59pm when private dining knocked a billion times to deliver the cake, so there went the surprise to have the cake waiting once we'd turned in for the night :upsidedow Confirm and re-confirm again if you change anything.
- The top was not exactly what I asked for, but whatever, still loved it. I wanted Mickey's head to be in profile like it is on the curtains so you can see his nose, and I sent them the below photo and said like this, but only the head:
Mickey_YC curtain.jpg
Guessing they couldn't fit the head in profile or something. I did say 'do whatever the bakery team thinks looks best', so maybe that's all it was.

I loved the cake, and my DF was super excited/happy! It was a lot of cake for 2 people, even over 5 nights/6 days. No regrets, we still finished it :cool2: (minus a lot of buttercream and fondant)

Private dining setup (just to give an idea of what comes with). The deliverer offered to take it out of the box, and they probably normally do if you're not there?
I declined, since DF was still mostly asleep and I thought this could still be a surprise....

For the constellations, they made the lines gold and the "stars" silver to provide contrast, which is one thing I mentioned via email/pointed out on the curtains.
And they added glitter all over and sparkle sugar/sugar pearls -- didn't request/talk about any of that, so I'm glad they jazzed it up a bit since those little touches made the cake look fantastic.
Glitter is pretty hard to see in photos, but it shone beautifully in person!

How do they find such shimmery yet subtle glitter? Loved it.

Knife for size reference, though to be fair those utensils were hefty.

Thick layers of very sweet buttercream between cake and fondant.

Forgot to take a picture of the cake out next to the curtains, so here's a picture from right before we brought it down to bell services to transfer to AKL.

We collected the cake from AKL bell services at like 6pm. DF had the box, looked at it through the clear top, and said "OMG someone ate our cake!" ...It had jostled and broken in transit, nobody ate it :rotfl:
Not quite as pretty as before, but just as delicious!
Poor thing must've overheated, it was cold and firmly reshaped (i.e. the fondant was hard) when we picked it up... so must've melted before it got to the AKL bell services fridge :scared:

Overall, very happy with the cake! I loved the attention to detail for the stars and sky.
The lavender cake was light, not at all too sweet, and was a perfectly light, floral flavor. We both liked the strawberry basil mousse too; it just barely registered as sweet and had like a hint-of-herbs flavor. In some spots there were strong punches of basil, in some there was hardly any, which is probably for the best.

Also, one note on the fondant... do not sleep on this, it is strangely delicious! :rolleyes: One of Carrie's podcast episodes is all about cakes and in it, she and a former WDW cake decorator discussed the fondant and how it's almost marshmallow-tasting/good.
We tried the fondant and honestly loved it. The only thing stopping us from eating all of it was that it tasted even sweeter than the buttercream, which we could barely handle as is.

I have like 40 photos in total, LMK if anyone needs more :laughing:

If I have a cake delivered to Le Cellier, will they box up the leftovers in 2 boxes so my party and the other party can split the leftovers?

If I have a cake delivered to Le Cellier, will they box up the leftovers in 2 boxes so my party and the other party can split the leftovers?

The cake comes in a single box, but they could put some in a regular to-go box for you.

Hi everyone! Here is our fondant mini cake delivered to our room at the Polynesian. It was made by GF (our first time using this bakery) and Pat was extremely helpful during the ordering process. The cost of the cake was $60 without tax, delivery charge, and automatic gratuity. It was a chocolate cake with raspberry mousse.

The cake was delicious but I was surprised at how little cake and how much mousse there was. This was our first time trying a mousse filled cake. Not sure if all mousse cakes are this way? I did like the bamboo fence since it tasted like a tootsie roll.

I was very pleased with the decorations and it was fun to surprise my DH yet again with a cake. However, based on our personal taste, we will probably not order fondant again nor mousse filling.

Next year, we will be back at Beach Club so the cake order will be from Y&BC Fine Dining. DH has already hinted about a chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting covered in chocolate ganache!
Our Poly 1.jpgOur Poly 2.jpg

The cake was delicious but I was surprised at how little cake and how much mousse there was. This was our first time trying a mousse filled cake. Not sure if all mousse cakes are this way?

Thanks for posting your experience—what a great-looking cake! And yes, all mousse-filled mini cakes are that way. The mousse takes up a lot of room, even in full-size cakes, but in mini cakes, it's practically the whole thing.

By contrast, this is the inside of a mini cake with peanut butter buttercream and chocolate ganache inside instead of mousse:

IMG_3458.jpg

Has anyone ordered a cake to be delivered to Tiffins or have had one made by Hollywood Studios? I've had great experiences in the past with the Contemporary, but I've never ordered one from Hollywood studios.

Hi everyone! Here is our fondant mini cake delivered to our room at the Polynesian. It was made by GF (our first time using this bakery) and Pat was extremely helpful during the ordering process. The cost of the cake was $60 without tax, delivery charge, and automatic gratuity. It was a chocolate cake with raspberry mousse.

The cake was delicious but I was surprised at how little cake and how much mousse there was. This was our first time trying a mousse filled cake. Not sure if all mousse cakes are this way? I did like the bamboo fence since it tasted like a tootsie roll.

I was very pleased with the decorations and it was fun to surprise my DH yet again with a cake. However, based on our personal taste, we will probably not order fondant again nor mousse filling.

Next year, we will be back at Beach Club so the cake order will be from Y&BC Fine Dining. DH has already hinted about a chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting covered in chocolate ganache!
View attachment 438597View attachment 438598

That cake is adorable! Our mini cake, ordered from the GF last spring, definitely did NOT have that crazy amount of mousse lol! We ordered chocolate cake with strawberry mousse and it was pretty much a 50/50 ratio.

Amazingly cute cake though!

:sunny:

Sitting at chef Mickey's, totally bummed about my daughter's cake. Ordered and confirmed Aug 5th with the contemporary bakery. And there is no cake to be found anywhere. This is the third birthday that we've ordered from this bakery. Never an issue-until now. Now I have a dolled up little 3 year old belle with no birthday cake. Bummer. Anyone else have this issue?

That's so sad! A few years ago I ordered a Maleficent mini cake to be delivered at Hoop De Doo and it never showed up. Got back to our Poly bungalow and the doorbell rang. A Cast Member delivered the cake to us and there was no charge because of the mistake.

First I would like to thank the people here who give so much advice on here. Thanks to y’all, I knew that Tigger was not an option for my Tigger loving sister’s cake. So I thought ahead of time what to use instead. I decided on Rajah (only available with Jasmine). Pat (at GF) helped me with the details, and I requested that it be delivered to the Poly yesterday between 9-Noon. When we got back from MK, it was waiting for us at 1:30. I think it turned out great. I won’t post the photo of Sis’s reaction (but I’m glad I was able to capture it). It was delicious! And even had a hidden Mickey!2A60A8D3-3F1A-496A-BD0B-6843197B233D.jpegB9F00FFF-87E0-4C4F-AD62-9F95C61D6AF5.jpeg899D20BD-335C-43C2-AAFD-17791221864C.jpeg

I’ve gotten in touch with the magicians at Epcot. A ‘Day of the Dead’ themed cake has been requested and pictures for ideas sent. I requested “You’re not dead yet! Happy 50th birthday” on the top (Seemed appropriate for R&C for those who get the reference). Less than two weeks away; I’ll post pictures! Sooooo very excited!

Hey everyone - just wanted to share my experience with Coronado Springs (so far). I called the main cake line and was connected to in room dining. The CM was very nice and after talking for a bit, she said that if the delivery is not made for the Tower, then the options are limited to these cake flavors and are not custom cakes. But she did give me the number to the Tower - which appears to be off the hook right now but I'm going to ask if they do custom cakes and whether I can just pick one up from them since we're not staying in the tower next month. Will keep you all updated!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!