**Official DLR September 2020 Check In v2**

Akck

Mouseketeer
Joined
Jul 10, 2019
Forgive my ignorance and my missing this info if it's already on here. If the last payment has to be made 30 days out and people on here are saying they have first week of Sept. vacations that haven't been rescheduled/cancelled. And if say this upcoming Friday they are contacted regarding the parks not opening, since full payment on their deposit would have had to been made prior to Friday's call would they be eligible for a full refund?

Reason I'm asking is my trip is Sept. 14 and I'm REALLY holding onto hope that we can still go but I don't want to throw a big chunk of money at something just to have the trip pulled out and maybe have it refunded or forced to reschedule my trip to a later date.
I’m in the same situation, about a week earlier. At this point with no opening date set, I’m figuring the trip is a no go since the logistics of opening the parks requires weeks of preparation. My plan is to not call until just before our final payment date to see what options are available.
 

CandyMouse

Mouseketeer
Joined
Mar 21, 2008
I canceled our trip for September, we really want to be there when all the entertainment will be back, hopefully by next year sometime. It was really hard to do, but we at least got credit from southwest to use for later. We also paid for our 5 day hoppers and Universal combo, so I'm sure we'll have to pay an up charge when we are able to go. Good luck to everybody that's still going in September, hopefully DL will be back open!!:goodvibes
 

Akck

Mouseketeer
Joined
Jul 10, 2019
I’m in the same situation, about a week earlier. At this point with no opening date set, I’m figuring the trip is a no go since the logistics of opening the parks requires weeks of preparation. My plan is to not call until just before our final payment date to see what options are available.
Well, I decided to cancel our September trip. With no information on opening at this point, I don’t see how they can open anytime this month or even the first part of September. I really hate giving up the great rate plus credits we were given. Our only saving grace is that we were able to change our airfare and get a DVC reservation for WDW! So we aren’t totally unhappy about canceling.
 
  • GenGen22

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Aug 12, 2011
    Forgive my ignorance and my missing this info if it's already on here. If the last payment has to be made 30 days out and people on here are saying they have first week of Sept. vacations that haven't been rescheduled/cancelled. And if say this upcoming Friday they are contacted regarding the parks not opening, since full payment on their deposit would have had to been made prior to Friday's call would they be eligible for a full refund?

    Reason I'm asking is my trip is Sept. 14 and I'm REALLY holding onto hope that we can still go but I don't want to throw a big chunk of money at something just to have the trip pulled out and maybe have it refunded or forced to reschedule my trip to a later date.
    When I rebooked the first time the CM said something about being able to wait a week or two before arrival instead of a month in advance like regularly scheduled. I'm going to call as my 30 days is coming up and like you don't want to pay it all and then not be able to go at all.
     
    Last edited:

    emacat

    Polishing up my ears
    Joined
    Apr 3, 2010
    Calling Disney to see about changing. I have to admit I'm getting a little frustrated that they are still booking for early September, and not planning to cancel packages until a week before, according to this cast member. People really just can't plan for things in one week. I understand this is a situation in flux, but looking at the numbers, and seeing Knott's making arrangements for their tasting plans, etc, it seems that California is (understandably) being very cautious. So with less than one month, and knowing that they had been planning to do AP open first, they should be able to tell with a month now.
    **Sorry, just venting. Sigh...I hate COVID.**
    I will add that the castmember on the phone was a star. We are holding off a little longer, since there were plenty of openings on the time we would change to. She said they get updates biweekly. She reminds me of WHY we love Disney so much.
     
    Last edited:


  • sgerto

    Living in a small world after all
    Joined
    Aug 24, 2017
    Was your September reservation a postponement using the rebooking discount and that rate transferred to your November reschedule, or were you originally scheduled in September?
    I originally booked a Sept. trip hoping the restrictions would have been lifted by then
     

    sgerto

    Living in a small world after all
    Joined
    Aug 24, 2017
    Thank you! Trying to decide if we wait for Disney to decide or if we should just go ahead and move our trip again. Every bit of info helps.
    My pleasure! And I completely understand what your going through. This has been the most difficult and frustrating trip for me to plan. Sept. is our anniversary and that was the reason I as well was holding out, waiting for Disney to decide. But my wife works for TSA and I was side warned about how my company would react to me taking a trip to CA or FL during the current restrictions; so delaying the trip for two months (if we even take the trip) seemed the right choice to make.
     

    mouschievous

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    Jul 14, 2019
    I periodically try the DLR "check availability" for DLR hotel rooms just to see where things stand, and today for the first time there was no availability in the beginning of September. I just talked to a CS rep and she confirmed that reservations can be made from Sept 16 on. Looks like the first half of September is out, at least for the hotels. I suppose they could still open the parks.
     





    Connect

    Disney News and Updates





    SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL
    Subscribe and never miss out on Disney News, Deals and Updates.






    Top