Official Dopey 2017 Thread

FYI... My crew and I (4 of us) are planning on getting our 13.1 in tomorrow morning at Caribbean Beach. It seems there are groups all over WDW who are planning on something through Facebook. We'll be playing it by ear with the weather, and maybe heading out at around 9am if that's when the thunderstorm section moves on. (Earlier if it's not that bad.) We've heard there is a group going around Saratoga Springs right now that even had a cheering section. Very interesting how people are using social media for spontaneous organization. I wonder if there are any sociologists in town watching what's happening.

FYI... My crew and I (4 of us) are planning on getting our 13.1 in tomorrow morning at Caribbean Beach. It seems there are groups all over WDW who are planning on something through Facebook. We'll be playing it by ear with the weather, and maybe heading out at around 9am if that's when the thunderstorm section moves on. (Earlier if it's not that bad.) We've heard there is a group going around Saratoga Springs right now that even had a cheering section. Very interesting how people are using social media for spontaneous organization. I wonder if there are any sociologists in town watching what's happening.
I'm still an introvert, so will be doing my run alone tomorrow. Aside from races, that's how I get what I need from the sport.

Do you know how far that loop is? We were thinking of doing 13 laps around the Allstars.

I did 7 this morning and will do the rest with extra steps while we're in MK today! I just wanted to get more than half this morning early because I came here to run 4 early morning races and darn it, I'm doing it! I'm also wearing my half shirt today ... I was ready to do a half and we were all ready to do Dopey so we should be proud :) Can you tell I'm feeling strongly about this now? lol Pop was great! Course support, volunteers out there and cheering. I appreciate everyone that was out there this morning. Tomorrow we still have over half our miles to earn our Dopey so have a great day everyone. See you tomorrow!!

I posted this on the Running Thread, but wanted to share it here as well:

So... This morning at Caribbean Beach was amazing! It was about 11 laps around the lake, but there was a great group of runners, some with their bibs and costumes. The on course support (because it's 11 laps) was far more than we ever would have got on the real course! Some people even set up a water station. By the main building a group of supporters kept growing and were so enthusiastic all morning long. (The couple who set up a Facebook page and took tons of pictures happen to be race directors.)

Without doubt... the best race experience I've ever had! Here's a picture of some of us that were able to grab our race shirts and come back for a picture, but by no means was this all of us. So no asterisk by our Dopey this year!

Don't just run it, earn it! (DW get's credit for that one.)

15492047_10207746807483634_6789040951370408364_n-jpg.213799

So... This morning at Caribbean Beach was amazing! It was about 11 laps around the lake, but there was a great group of runners, some with their bibs and costumes. The on course support (because it's 11 laps) was far more than we ever would have got on the real course! Some people even set up a water station. By the main building a group of supporters kept growing and were so enthusiastic all morning long. (The couple who set up a Facebook page and took tons of pictures happen to be race directors.)

Without doubt... the best race experience I've ever had! Here's a picture of some of us that were able to grab our race shirts and come back for a picture, but by no means was this all of us. So no asterisk by our Dopey this year!

That's awesome! We had a similar experience at the Allstars this morning. We had water stops, a doughnut stop and even a character stop. I loved every minute of it!

That's so cool!

Dopey 2017 Ranked Results

First of all, congratulations to all the 2017 Dopey finishers! I understand how disappointing it is to not have an official half marathon this year, but you all finished every Dopey event that runDisney asked of you, and therefore, you are officially Dopey.

As I have done in the past, I have taken the alphabetical listing of Dopey results that runDisney provides and sorted it by overall time (adding the 5k, 10k, [half], & marathon times together). I also calculated overall, age division, and masters rankings. In the end, there were a total of 6,576 open division finishers plus 5 wheelchair division finishers.

Since the file is too big to post here (70 pages), you can use the following link to pull up the .pdf file of the rankings:
Dopey 2017 Ranked Results (http://shapenoise.com/dopey/Dopey-2017-Ranked-Results.pdf)

Also, for you perfectly Dopey folks out there, I will have a list of the remaining perfectly Dopey runners soon. At first glance, it seems that there are about 766 perfectly Dopey runners remaining.

First of all, congratulations to all the 2017 Dopey finishers! I understand how disappointing it is to not have an official half marathon this year, but you all finished every Dopey event that runDisney asked of you, and therefore, you are officially Dopey.

As I have done in the past, I have taken the alphabetical listing of Dopey results that runDisney provides and sorted it by overall time (adding the 5k, 10k, [half], & marathon times together). I also calculated overall, age division, and masters rankings. In the end, there were a total of 6,576 open division finishers plus 5 wheelchair division finishers.

Since the file is too big to post here (70 pages), you can use the following link to pull up the .pdf file of the rankings:
Dopey 2017 Ranked Results (http://shapenoise.com/dopey/Dopey-2017-Ranked-Results.pdf)

Also, for you perfectly Dopey folks out there, I will have a list of the remaining perfectly Dopey runners soon. At first glance, it seems that there are about 766 perfectly Dopey runners remaining.

Thanks for putting this together!

Looks like I was 43rd overall, 39th male, and 8th in my division. I'll definitely take that!

Thank you for doing this!

I'm still an introvert, so will be doing my run alone tomorrow. Aside from races, that's how I get what I need from the sport.

I am an introvert too and worked up the courage to join the morning prerace meetups and actually meet the @Keels group at Hurricane Hannahs. I am so glad that I did that! Thank you DopeyBadger for arranging the morning meets and to @Keels for arranging that Hurricane Hannah's meetup and for the group for being so welcoming.

However, I do all of my training alone and have run all but three races alone.

Last edited:

THANK YOU for doing this.

I am an introvert too and worked up the courage to join the morning prerace meetups and actually meet the @Keels group at Hurricane Hannahs. I am so glad that I did that! Thank you DopeyBadger for arranging the meets and for the group for being so welcoming.

However, I do all of my training alone and have run all but three races alone.

I am exactly the same! Running is almost always a solo thing for me. I really liked the morning meet ups but I had to challenge myself! I am so appreciative of these threads!

Updated Perfectly Dopey List (766 Remain)

So, I have done my best to update the list of Perfectly Dopey runners after this year's event. As stated before, it is likely not 100% accurate, but I believe that we are within 10-15 of the correct number of Perfectly Dopey runners.

I have added two things to this year's list:
1. There is now a parenthetical next to each name with their PR time and PR year, and
2. On the very last page (page 9), I have a summary of various divisions of Perfectly Dopey runners, so male/female, masters, and age group categories (age group categories are based on each runners age for the 2017 event).

Please let me know if anyone sees something out of place.

--------------
ETA: as the footnote on the attached file states, the 2017 Dopey results were excluded from the PR times.

Attachments

• Perfectly Dopey 2014-2017.pdf
    92.5 KB · Views: 29
Congrats to all of you who made it through what I'm sure was a trying week in more ways than you had previously planned! I've followed along through Instagram, Twitter and Facebook and with the cancellations, the rain, the COLD (I ran a super cold WDW Marathon in 2010 and wouldn't wish that on anyone!) I'm so glad to many persevered! I'm planning on running Dopey in 2018 (along with the rest of the RunDisney world) and I was hoping someone could tell me about park crowds? Want to make sure I get my wife and kids an accurate representation of what we'll be dealing with and manage expectations...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter