Official Dopey 2017 Thread

Congrats to all of you who made it through what I'm sure was a trying week in more ways than you had previously planned! I've followed along through Instagram, Twitter and Facebook and with the cancellations, the rain, the COLD (I ran a super cold WDW Marathon in 2010 and wouldn't wish that on anyone!) I'm so glad to many persevered! I'm planning on running Dopey in 2018 (along with the rest of the RunDisney world) and I was hoping someone could tell me about park crowds? Want to make sure I get my wife and kids an accurate representation of what we'll be dealing with and manage expectations...

We were at WDW from Dec. 28th-Jan. 8th and attended the following parks: 12/30-AK, 1/2-DHS, 1/3-MK, 1/5-MK, and 1/6-Epcot. I have never been to AK before, so I don't really have a baseline expectation, but all of the parks seemed packed with the possible exception of Epcot on the 6th. Marathon Weekend is running approximately the same period next year (a day earlier on the calendar) and I would be very afraid about making any plans for a pre-race vacation. It was very apparent to me that a large number of people took advantage of the Holidays and took the week after New Year's off eliminating any possibility of a lag between Holiday Crowds and Race Crowds. We managed to get full days in at each park, but it was with smart FP+ application and a good amount of acceptance/disappointment that there were certain things we wouldn't get to do (7DMT, FEA, multiple trips on any big rides, etc.).

Worst experience was arriving for Fantasmic! at 6:10 and being placed in the (second!) standing room only line and being forced to wait until 6:55 to be released to find a spot. People were warned that if they left their seats to use the restroom that they shouldn't expect them when they came back and those in the standing room lines were warned that they would likely be shut out altogether if they left for any reason.

ETA: We expected big crowds but were still surprised at how packed it ended up being. I imagine that the crowds died down significantly on Sunday and then this week.

Congrats to all of you who made it through what I'm sure was a trying week in more ways than you had previously planned! I've followed along through Instagram, Twitter and Facebook and with the cancellations, the rain, the COLD (I ran a super cold WDW Marathon in 2010 and wouldn't wish that on anyone!) I'm so glad to many persevered! I'm planning on running Dopey in 2018 (along with the rest of the RunDisney world) and I was hoping someone could tell me about park crowds? Want to make sure I get my wife and kids an accurate representation of what we'll be dealing with and manage expectations...
It was more crowded than I expected. This was my 4th marathon weekend and I have never seen it like this. I guess it was also the one closest to Christmas/New Year's that I have participated in...which sounds similar to what 2018 will be.

If it were me planning race + family vacation, I'd plan for the family park days AFTER the races are over, i.e. as far away from the holidays as possible.

Congrats to everyone who soldiered through that bizarre-o race weekend! I am proud to say that I did my 13.1 with friends (and lots and lots of others!) at the Bonnet Creek resorts Sat. morning, got my thin-blooded Floridian self through the cold marathon Sunday, and nabbed my first Dopey! I enjoyed the DIY half so much - we stopped for pics all around the resorts and made it as race-like as possible - and seeing on Facebook the thousands of others around all of the resorts getting it done was incredibly moving. Not planning Dopey next year, but I suspect I'll do it again at some point!

It was more crowded than I expected. This was my 4th marathon weekend and I have never seen it like this. I guess it was also the one closest to Christmas/New Year's that I have participated in...which sounds similar to what 2018 will be.

If it were me planning race + family vacation, I'd plan for the family park days AFTER the races are over, i.e. as far away from the holidays as possible.

Oye... Thanks @Barca33Runner and @Ariel484 - seems like we may have some adjusting to do... The crowd calendar indicated as much, just wanted some on-the-ground confirmation... And I got it... Now to sit on a rock and do some thinking...

MK bag check on January 5 at about noon:
32190754626_f2fee691d1_z.jpg

We were at WDW from Dec. 28th-Jan. 8th and attended the following parks: 12/30-AK, 1/2-DHS, 1/3-MK, 1/5-MK, and 1/6-Epcot. I have never been to AK before, so I don't really have a baseline expectation, but all of the parks seemed packed with the possible exception of Epcot on the 6th. Marathon Weekend is running approximately the same period next year (a day earlier on the calendar) and I would be very afraid about making any plans for a pre-race vacation. It was very apparent to me that a large number of people took advantage of the Holidays and took the week after New Year's off eliminating any possibility of a lag between Holiday Crowds and Race Crowds. We managed to get full days in at each park, but it was with smart FP+ application and a good amount of acceptance/disappointment that there were certain things we wouldn't get to do (7DMT, FEA, multiple trips on any big rides, etc.).

Worst experience was arriving for Fantasmic! at 6:10 and being placed in the (second!) standing room only line and being forced to wait until 6:55 to be released to find a spot. People were warned that if they left their seats to use the restroom that they shouldn't expect them when they came back and those in the standing room lines were warned that they would likely be shut out altogether if they left for any reason.

ETA: We expected big crowds but were still surprised at how packed it ended up being. I imagine that the crowds died down significantly on Sunday and then this week.

I kept saying the same thing over and over to my group "why is it so busy? Did they decide to give something away?". In the 9 years I've done marathon weekend, this was by far the busiest I've ever seen it! However, my park touring plans worked to perfection on all but one occassion, but I think that was also a cast member malfunction as well (Rock'n Roller Coaster single rider line). I'm not sure if you can use this years crowd for next year expectations. We may have to wait and see if it is building toward a trend or not I suppose. I will most likely do less park touring next year though...

Thanks for putting this together!

Looks like I was 43rd overall, 39th male, and 8th in my division. I'll definitely take that!

Agreed, thanks for putting this together! I love to see the stats and how I measure up. I'm down at 150 (no badgers down there... ha!).

Congrats DopeyBadger, what an outstanding year. Is that Marathon a PR for you?

Updated Perfectly Dopey List (766 Remain)

So, I have done my best to update the list of Perfectly Dopey runners after this year's event. As stated before, it is likely not 100% accurate, but I believe that we are within 10-15 of the correct number of Perfectly Dopey runners.

I have added two things to this year's list:
1. There is now a parenthetical next to each name with their PR time and PR year, and
2. On the very last page (page 9), I have a summary of various divisions of Perfectly Dopey runners, so male/female, masters, and age group categories (age group categories are based on each runners age for the 2017 event).

Please let me know if anyone sees something out of place.

--------------
ETA: as the footnote on the attached file states, the 2017 Dopey results were excluded from the PR times.

Thanks again! You :rockband:!

Agreed, thanks for putting this together! I love to see the stats and how I measure up. I'm down at 150 (no badgers down there... ha!).

Congrats DopeyBadger, what an outstanding year. Is that Marathon a PR for you?

Thanks and congrats to you as well. Yes, the 3:20:52 bested my October 2016 marathon PR of 3:23:43.

I kept saying the same thing over and over to my group "why is it so busy? Did they decide to give something away?". In the 9 years I've done marathon weekend, this was by far the busiest I've ever seen it! However, my park touring plans worked to perfection on all but one occassion, but I think that was also a cast member malfunction as well (Rock'n Roller Coaster single rider line). I'm not sure if you can use this years crowd for next year expectations. We may have to wait and see if it is building toward a trend or not I suppose. I will most likely do less park touring next year though...

When we did RnRC they were giving a warning every ten minutes that the single rider line was going to be slower than the regular line. It didn't look like they were lying.

I honestly didn't find it nearly as busy as I expected. I did make a point to head back to the resort to rest during the midday (seemingly when the parks are the busiest), but the mornings and the evenings weren't awful. They were a bit busier than when we visit in October, but still not terrible. I have a different barometer for busy though. I made the mistake of going to Harry Potter World in its openings weeks. We were packed in there shoulder to shoulder all around the place. I've never seen anything like it.

I found the parks to be uncomfortably busy for the marathon weekend. However, we had fast passes and just did those and we were very eager to just get out of the parks! That is the beauty of annual passes. I never feel like we have to stay in the parks if they are too crowded to enjoy.

Updated Perfectly Dopey List (766 Remain)

So, I have done my best to update the list of Perfectly Dopey runners after this year's event. As stated before, it is likely not 100% accurate, but I believe that we are within 10-15 of the correct number of Perfectly Dopey runners.

I have added two things to this year's list:
1. There is now a parenthetical next to each name with their PR time and PR year, and
2. On the very last page (page 9), I have a summary of various divisions of Perfectly Dopey runners, so male/female, masters, and age group categories (age group categories are based on each runners age for the 2017 event).

Please let me know if anyone sees something out of place.

--------------
ETA: as the footnote on the attached file states, the 2017 Dopey results were excluded from the PR times.

Anyone got a list of Perfectly Goofys? DH is one, and he heard from another this past weekend that there are fewer than 100 left.

As for crowds last week, I agree. This was our third marathon weekend in the last four years, and it was by far the busiest.

I think this has to do with the fact the Marathon weekend was close to New Years. In 2014, things kicked off on Wednesday 1/8. 2015 was Wednesday 1/7. I think this gave time for all the holiday crowds to clear out. This year things started on the 4th, so there was a lot of overlap.

Next year the weekend kicks off on the 3rd, so I would expect about the same for crowds.

As for crowds last week, I agree. This was our third marathon weekend in the last four years, and it was by far the busiest.

I think this has to do with the fact the Marathon weekend was close to New Years. In 2014, things kicked off on Wednesday 1/8. 2015 was Wednesday 1/7. I think this gave time for all the holiday crowds to clear out. This year things started on the 4th, so there was a lot of overlap.

Next year the weekend kicks off on the 3rd, so I would expect about the same for crowds.
FWIW, the crowds really thin out on the Monday after the races. We stayed through Thursday and the crowds were at early Sept levels. We will likely do the same next year unless my wife decides to cruise after the races.

Anyone got a list of Perfectly Goofys? DH is one, and he heard from another this past weekend that there are fewer than 100 left.

I can do that. Give me a few days.

So, I'm pretty sure the first Goofy Challenge was in 2006? However, when I look at the 2006 or 2007 results, I don't see a Goofy results list (only 2008 and after). Any help on finding the 2006 & 2007 results?

Adding @rteetz and @DopeyBadger in case they know.

So, I'm pretty sure the first Goofy Challenge was in 2006? However, when I look at the 2006 or 2007 results, I don't see a Goofy results list (only 2008 and after). Any help on finding the 2006 & 2007 results?

Adding @rteetz and @DopeyBadger in case they know.
I'd have to do some digging but I think you're right about 2006. My first year running WDW weekend (2015) was the 10th anniversary of goofy.

I'd have to do some digging but I think you're right about 2006. My first year running WDW weekend (2015) was the 10th anniversary of goofy.

If you can't find the results, look for the old event guides. Disney used to list the perfectly Goofy and perfectly Mickey people in the guides up until 2011 or so. You can probably use one of them as a starting point for name comparison.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!