Official Dopey 2018 Thread

Yeah, I said I was going to cut back my RD season significantly after Dopey ... only do the DL Half for Coast-to-Coast, but man - I'm a real dummy. Now I'm doing all three at DL in September, and I'm registered for Two-Course Challenge and am probably going to tack on the Fall Feast 5K as well because my credit card just hasn't suffered enough punishment through the first part of this year.

Oh yeah, it's a sickness. We had decided that after Dopey 2018 we were going to stop with the Disney races for awhile. But, after running Tink, I want to take my kids with me for the DL Half in 2018. One of my girls has been saying she wants to run a half and I told the other I'd only take her if she agreed to run the 10K. :D So, that might mean a second Coast to Coast for me.

My girl is planning on Dopey being her last marathon, then she saw the Path of the Flood in Johnstown, PA, and wants to run that, next year.

I have this funny feeling we'll be back running at least the Marathon in a couple years.

How is everyone's training going?

So far so good. I'm in week 3 of 15 weeks of marathon training right now. I had my first 100% intervals within window week this past week in a long time. So, I'm pretty happy with where I'm at. Hoping for a sub-3 marathon in October. Then after that, my focus will turn to Dopey training in an attempt to get top 10 by cumulative time.

Still not happy with my training plan. I spend more time revising it then doing it so basically just going to stick with Galloway but cut it down to a 25 week plan. Still don't feel the need to do Dopey 3 weeks before dopey.

Will concentrate on weight loss which should help make me faster since I think I will ne walking 1 or 2 of the races.

Getting back into the routine. I was off for 2.5 months with a knee injury but all good now. Getting 3-4 runs a week in, ranging 5-10 km each time. Longer runs on the weekend. Following the Galloway plan on Tues/Thurs but I usually throw in an extra one during the week on top of it.

Worst part of the event is the early morning and for me early nights. Specially since my hubby isn't doing any of your races so kinda sucks for him. However, he does love how weather changed history so he watches that while I go to sleep early,...lol

Worst part of the event is the early morning and for me early nights. Specially since my hubby isn't doing any of your races so kinda sucks for him. However, he does love how weather changed history so he watches that while I go to sleep early,...lol

I'm in a similar boat. My girl is running good ol Dopey, but I'm just doing one race. So my early mornings are there for moral support :D

My wife and I can usually deal with it okay when we're on our own. However, this is the first time we'll be traveling with our kids and Grandma. This will be interesting.

My problem is that I'm usually too excited to sleep and so it turns into late nights and early mornings. After 4 nights of less than 4 hours sleep I'm usually ready for a nap.

My problem is that I'm usually too excited to sleep and so it turns into late nights and early mornings. After 4 nights of less than 4 hours sleep I'm usually ready for a nap.
YES this is what happened to me Dopey 2016! I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I was NOT expecting that - I really thought I'd be out like a light at 8 or 9pm every night but I was so anxious about the early wake up and the races, not to mention the excitement of being at Disney with so much going on, that I had a really hard time sleeping. I might experiment with taking some Benadryl or Dramamine to help me sleep this time - but worry it will make me feel groggy the next morning...:faint:

YES this is what happened to me Dopey 2016! I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I was NOT expecting that - I really thought I'd be out like a light at 8 or 9pm every night but I was so anxious about the early wake up and the races, not to mention the excitement of being at Disney with so much going on, that I had a really hard time sleeping. I might experiment with taking some Benadryl or Dramamine to help me sleep this time - but worry it will make me feel groggy the next morning...:faint:

Melatonin is your friend. Works great but won't leave you feeling wiped out in the morning.

Has anyone heard of any pending changes to Dopey in 2019? I had asked a question regarding the 2019 edition in a Facebook group and someone said that it was rumored to have some changes? Mind you, this is just one person saying this so I'm totally not trying to spread false info. I'd really like to do the 6th running of the event in 2019 since I ran my first marathon ever at Disney 1999 (which was also the 6th Disney marathon). Don't want to get my hopes up and get too geeked out about beginning to plan if changes are in the works. Thanks for any thoughts you might have!

Still not happy with my training plan. I spend more time revising it then doing it so basically just going to stick with Galloway but cut it down to a 25 week plan. Still don't feel the need to do Dopey 3 weeks before dopey.

Will concentrate on weight loss which should help make me faster since I think I will ne walking 1 or 2 of the races.

I cant remember if you've done a marathon before or not, if so, then I tend to agree that the dopey before isnt TOTALLY needed. You know what you are attempting. If you havent then I cant totally discount it. 2014 when I did it, my training suffered towards the end. I didnt do the whole dopey at home, but close, so I knew what I was in for.

Concentrating on weight loss is hard to do during marathon training, IMO and only MO. Why do I feel that way? Because you need to make sure you are fueling and feeding your muscles and body to keep it going. I'm no medical Dr, but once my training hit, it focused more on maintaining where I was, if the losses came, great, but I didnt focus on them.

This year, training is going 'ok' I'm getting up and doing them. Trying to focus more on pushing myself during the week, without over doing it. I didnt do that as much the first time around, and already I can feel my weekend runs that are 'slower' feeling 'easier' even though we are only at the 4-5 miles on Saturday part..

Let's talk about the REAL training for the Dopey Challenge. . .the training for 3am wake up calls for 4 days in a row.
I've never had a problem with the early WDW race mornings! Maybe because my daily wake-up is at 5am, so it's not that far off. And I'm totally ready to sleep by 7pm most days, so the early bedtimes actually sync better with my natural cycle than regular life!

It's July, in Florida. 'Nuff said?! It's okay, so far: hot and slow, but manageable. Second b2b is this weekend: 3/9. I do need to start breaking my long runs up as mileage builds, though - the last couple/few miles are just too hot at this point, so they'll need to be done indoors or in the pool once I get to 10+ miles. Looking forward to fall... which, based on the last two years, should come in late Dec...

Like some others, early AM not a biggie, 5 is my normal, so again, couple hours earlier, not a biggie. As long as I am relaxing by 7 or 8, meaning, that I'm in the room, not really doing anything, I'm good. I figure excitement is going to make it hard to sleep anyway, but at least being showered, and organized and just relaxing will be good. Heck even if I didnt fall asleep til 11, I'd still be good once the adrenaline kicks in :). Heck I almost LIKE being 'sleepy' at the start of the race.. Means I'm relaxed... At least that's what I tell myself ;)

My girl and I are both second shifters, so we generally go to bed at 2 am. Having to wake up around 2-3 am is going to be a massive culture shock to both of us.

I've never had a problem with the early WDW race mornings! Maybe because my daily wake-up is at 5am, so it's not that far off. And I'm totally ready to sleep by 7pm most days, so the early bedtimes actually sync better with my natural cycle than regular life!

I'm usually up at 5 as well, but I need those 2 hours. I find it hard, especially if I don't do it right the first night.

It's July, in Florida. 'Nuff said?! It's okay, so far: hot and slow, but manageable. Second b2b is this weekend: 3/9. I do need to start breaking my long runs up as mileage builds, though - the last couple/few miles are just too hot at this point, so they'll need to be done indoors or in the pool once I get to 10+ miles. Looking forward to fall... which, based on the last two years, should come in late Dec...

I ran in the Myrtle Beach area of SC yesterday at 5am. I could not believe how unbearably hot it was at that time of the morning. During these months, I'll stick to my treadmill. I do try to run one run every other week outside, though, just because there is a big difference between inside and outside. My next outdoor run I think will be 7 miles in Charleston. That ought to be fun.

Like some others, early AM not a biggie, 5 is my normal, so again, couple hours earlier, not a biggie. As long as I am relaxing by 7 or 8, meaning, that I'm in the room, not really doing anything, I'm good. I figure excitement is going to make it hard to sleep anyway, but at least being showered, and organized and just relaxing will be good. Heck even if I didnt fall asleep til 11, I'd still be good once the adrenaline kicks in :). Heck I almost LIKE being 'sleepy' at the start of the race.. Means I'm relaxed... At least that's what I tell myself ;)

I agree that if I'm in my room not doing much then I'm better off.

My girl and I are both second shifters, so we generally go to bed at 2 am. Having to wake up around 2-3 am is going to be a massive culture shock to both of us.

:earseek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter