***Official Jan 2018 Thread****

The crane is the equipment they use to take down the holiday lights on the castle. It makes for a different kind of picture of the castle if it's up. Most years, we see the crane at this time at some point. Do they still have the lights up?

The weather has me all in a tizzy. How much rain is required to cancel the fireworks at MK? I paid for the Tomorrowland Terrace fireworks dessert party and now I'm all scared.

Hello All

Been Home for a week :sad:

Can I tell you my daughter had the time of her life. I let her make all the decisions and she did really well. The only issue was the weather was a bit up and down from the Jan 13 to 17. We stayed at Poly (I'm going to do a Poly Review on the Poly board) but of course we were by the water so many nights were just cold. So my daughter decided a lot of days she didn't want to do things that would keep us outside in the cold at night like Happily ever after on our MK Day (Mon MLK Day) but we actually watched the Fireworks from the bridge infront of BOG on Sunday while we waited for our reservations. It was actually really fun to watch Happily ever after from BOG castle my daughter loved the experience (I highly recommend it if you haven't done it) and so she was like why do we need to watch it again that was great. She enjoyed all the food reservations that I made for us. And we both loved our stay at Polynesian (its her new favorite resort, I still have AKL with the slight edge for me). Everyone we encountered made her birthday trip special she wore her button the whole trip and it was kind of great being so close to the Monorail. It was also great to just spend time with just us two and so now my daughter wants to make a yearly thing for us :upsidedow (told her she needed to get a job lol). I was happy because I didn't do the dining plan and we came in a couple hundred dollars under what I budgeted for food pixiedust:. All in all a great sweet sixteen trip. And now I will have withdrawals for the next 7 or 8 months when we return in the summer.

Thanks for having me on the January board. I doubt we will return in January again for a few reasons. The weather was way to nutty for us and then trying to come home because of all the snowstorms around the country it was really hard to get out of Florida. But very glad we got to do it.:thanks:

Questions for those that traveled after January 11th. When did they finally take the Christmas decorations down?!

I saw NO signs of Christmas except on the Castle. They had a crane behind the castle behind a wall. Our first day in park was the 10th.

Leaving tomorrow morning! I just checked the forecast and the temps are looking a bit better than they were last night. Here's hoping they keep going up and we get to make a couple visits to the pool!

We were there last Thursday when it was 28 degrees. RIDICULOUS cold, 2 days before that my kids were in the pool. Crazy Californians swimming in the 50's. It was a nutty 10 days. 80's on day 1 and 2, with rain, then cold, then warm again, then freeeeezing. Crowds were insane, but we had a great time. It's weird how there are so many people, yet at the same time we got all rides that we wanted, lot's of them two or 3 times. Hubs and I rode Thunder Mountain around 30 times by going late at night on weekends and EMH night hours. Hoping our next trip finds the crowds to be as they should. See you in September!

All in all a great sweet sixteen trip. And now I will have withdrawals for the next 7 or 8 months when we return in the summer.

This sounds like it was wonderful and a great bonding experience too! I saw in your signature line that you were hoping to book a BB trip...did you by chance find out what the BB offers were this time around? In October everything was free dining but super specific dates for 2018, and I saved way more by using my AP discount on the room (we don't do dining plan either).

We leave TOMORROW! :dancer::jumping1: I just thought I'd see if it's worth me adding to my "DON'T FORGET" list, calling for BB offers haha! (who am I kidding, it's pretty much always worth asking)

Thanks for sharing your story! Happy belated sweet 16 to your daughter!

This sounds like it was wonderful and a great bonding experience too! I saw in your signature line that you were hoping to book a BB trip...did you by chance find out what the BB offers were this time around? In October everything was free dining but super specific dates for 2018, and I saved way more by using my AP discount on the room (we don't do dining plan either).

We leave TOMORROW! :dancer::jumping1: I just thought I'd see if it's worth me adding to my "DON'T FORGET" list, calling for BB offers haha! (who am I kidding, it's pretty much always worth asking)

Thanks for sharing your story! Happy belated sweet 16 to your daughter!

Thank you it was a great Bonding experience!

I believe the bounceback this time around is a room discount. I got that from the Bounceback board before I left for this trip. You can look here for any updates: https://www.disboards.com/threads/2018-bounce-back-released-today.3625641/page-22 I find with the Bounceback you have to be superflexible with your dates.

So I booked my bounceback back this past September for my August trip and I got the free dining for my specific dates. I will be coming back with my daughter and my sons so I will use the free dining. I agree sometimes I can find the AP discount cheaper but my kids don't have an AP so the bounceback was worth it for me with the free dining and tickets and room but I only did 3 or 4 day at AOA and I'm going to split the rest of my week in a hopefully AP discounted room. I'm looking to book at AKL I love it there and I want my kids to experience it so waiting til spring for those rates to come out.

Either way check it out and Have fun on your trip :o

We're leaving in the morning!

I'm spending my day at work cleaning pennies.

I washed my disney bag last night that I like to use as a purse sometimes and there must have been a napkin in the pocket because when I got up the whole washer and the bag were covered in paper shreds. UGH!!! Probably going to have to rewash that tonight.

Thank you it was a great Bonding experience!

I believe the bounceback this time around is a room discount. I got that from the Bounceback board before I left for this trip. You can look here for any updates: https://www.disboards.com/threads/2018-bounce-back-released-today.3625641/page-22 I find with the Bounceback you have to be superflexible with your dates.

So I booked my bounceback back this past September for my August trip and I got the free dining for my specific dates. I will be coming back with my daughter and my sons so I will use the free dining. I agree sometimes I can find the AP discount cheaper but my kids don't have an AP so the bounceback was worth it for me with the free dining and tickets and room but I only did 3 or 4 day at AOA and I'm going to split the rest of my week in a hopefully AP discounted room. I'm looking to book at AKL I love it there and I want my kids to experience it so waiting til spring for those rates to come out.

Either way check it out and Have fun on your trip :o

Oh my gosh HOW did I not look at the BB thread? haha My brain is scattered for sure

Got home on Sunday after 8 great, but chilly, days at WDW.

I was diagnosed with the flu on Tuesday and haven't been back to work yet. PLEASE take every precaution and wash your hands frequently and/or use hand sanitizer.

Last edited:
Got home on Sunday after 8 great, but chilly, days at WDW.

I was diagnosed with the flu on Tuesday and haven't been back to work yet. PLEASE take every precaution and washy our hands frequently and/or use hand sanitizer.

That sucks! I hope you recover quickly!

Got home on Sunday after 8 great, but chilly, days at WDW. I was diagnosed with the flu on Tuesday and haven't been back to work yet. PLEASE take every precaution and wash your hands frequently and/or use hand sanitizer.

I am so sorry to hear you came home sick. This flu epidemic is serious.

Good to know for our next trip. I was really surprised to still see the tree and all the decorations up in MK on Monday the 8th.

From all research I Had done, I heard that the tree literally comes down the night of the 9th, so it's gone the 10th lol. And that made me so sad to hear, especially because we were there on the 9th and technically could have popped in to see it.

This is it. Finally! Heading to the airport in 2 hours. I'll be in the air by midnight Los Angeles time. And landing at MCO at about 6:30 local time. Picking up my friend who flew in from Austin today at a nearby hotel then to WallMart for supplies (with a stop for breakfast at Waffle House)then on to my first stay that the Fort Wilderness cabins.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter