*** Official January 2020 Thread ***

Hi, it may be early, but any have theories on Hollywood Studios being open to resort guests super early as the new ride would also be open starting Dec 5th?

My boyfriend and I did the deluxe dining plan when we went to Disney World for the first time together last June. We're big eaters and like to have an alcoholic drink with meals. We saved our receipts for every meal and did the math at the end of our trip ... we saved over $250 with the deluxe dining plan! It's a must-do for every future trip now.

If we are staying on property - we are doing the dining plan. I don't drink, but my husband does. So I just get a drink he'll drink and he gets two thanks to the plan!! We found that most dining won't charge for a nonalcoholic beverage OR gives us the option to pay for that out of pocket and use the alcoholic beverage against the dining plan.

Finally booked MK after hours tonight for the 20th! Loved it in May and this will be DH's first time going to the one in MK. Now just need to decide which tour to do!

I just got my first ever Disney Visa card in the mail. I know there aren't any booking discounts for January with the Visa right now (only RR discount available, right?). How do you use the card for discounts in the parks? I saw something about having to say something at the register about the Disney Visa discount in order for them to give you the % off. Is that right?

Last edited:
Slight change of plans in that no kids this trip. Dates 4-8 onsite, conference offsite 8-11, home on 12th. I will activate my AP and DH is upgrading to an AP. Now to decide on FQ or AKL. Price difference isn't big-go for new to us resort FQ? or favorite AKL?
So........the kid’s hockey schedule appears to be throwing a wrench into the above plan!!!

Looks like I have to consider moving the trip earlier in the month of Jan.

Now looking at Jan 1st as a outbound flight. Early arrival and then do/stay at Universal Jan 1-3rd.

Jan 4th would be first Disney day or visit Typhoon Lagoon on its last open day.

Worried how crazy things will be until the end of that week?

We are a rope drop family and we COULD make use of the early EMH hour at HS on Jan 5th - but not sure if it will just cause the park to be that much busier? Perhaps better to rope drop it a couple other mornings?
Definitely do EMH at DHS-hoping it is as slow that week prior to marathon as it was in September. My DD and I got there at 7am (EEMH started at 6) and we had done all the rides in DHS by 9:30-granted we didn't spend tons of time walking around GE as we planned that the next day) and made our FP in MK for BTMMR (9:35-10:35 window-think we tapped in at 10:45 :).

I'd also skip a water park as January weather is unpredictable, take a rest day, enjoy Disney springs and rest your feet.

Have fun at Universal! The EP is nice, but some queues are worth waiting in at least once if wait isn't crazy: Forbidden Journey (take your time through the castle 35-45 minute wait isn't bad at all especially if you have Potter fans in the group), Gringotts, Kong, Mummy (so much of the story is told in the queue!), Spiderman, MiB.

Slight change of plans in that no kids this trip. Dates 4-8 onsite, conference offsite 8-11, home on 12th. I will activate my AP and DH is upgrading to an AP. Now to decide on FQ or AKL. Price difference isn't big-go for new to us resort FQ? or favorite AKL?

I’m a big fan of FQ because it’s so compact (for a moderate), but, if money really is no object here, AKL all the way. POFQ is well-themed and the rooms are nice, but, in the end, it’s just a hotel— AKL is unique and something you won’t find anywhere else.

We haven't been since 2009 and had gone for like 6 years in a row. I all but gave up hope that my daughter would want to go back and the other day she says "Do you know what I would like to do for my 21st? I want to go to Disney" I almost dropped on the floor! And of course instantly booked for January - cannot wait for this "adult" trip to Disney!

We haven't been since 2009 and had gone for like 6 years in a row. I all but gave up hope that my daughter would want to go back and the other day she says "Do you know what I would like to do for my 21st? I want to go to Disney" I almost dropped on the floor! And of course instantly booked for January - cannot wait for this "adult" trip to Disney!
That's awesome! We will be there 1/11 1/15 for a 21st birthday trip for my daughter.

I just got my first ever Disney Visa card in the mail. I know there aren't any booking discounts for January with the Visa right now (only RR discount available, right?). How do you use the card for discounts in the parks? I saw something about having to say something at the register about the Disney Visa discount in order for them to give you the % off. Is that right?
Usually at checkout they will ask you if you’re a card holder or ap holder. If they don’t just say I have the Disney visa and if applicable they will give you the discount.

Its been quiet since all the Friday rush! Still keeping an eye out for better deals. I dont recall rooms being sold out so quickly when booking for Jan 2019. Was just ignorant back then or things have changed? Fewer options/ people aware of the deals more?

Usually at checkout they will ask you if you’re a card holder or ap holder. If they don’t just say I have the Disney visa and if applicable they will give you the discount.
Thanks! Good to know!

Its been quiet since all the Friday rush! Still keeping an eye out for better deals. I dont recall rooms being sold out so quickly when booking for Jan 2019. Was just ignorant back then or things have changed? Fewer options/ people aware of the deals more?
I was thinking the same thing. It still seems to be booked up. Hope January isn’t crazy crowded.

I was thinking the same thing. It still seems to be booked up. Hope January isn’t crazy crowded.
I don’t think it will be, they didn’t release as much as usual and it seemed to be mainly preferred. If you look mid January there seems to be lot of availability. I’m inclined to think they didn’t release as much as normal because they know rise of the resistance will be a hit and increase attendance. But if it doesn’t I’ll be happy 1/21 can’t come soon enough.

Last edited:
Sometimes they don't ask, so be sure to ask them if there is a Dis Visa discount available. I've gotten into the habit of asking everywhere, just in case! If you go to the Dis Visa rewards site you will see a list of stores and restaurants that have the discount.
In other news, switched from Nature view room at WL to a Copper Creek Deluxe Studio for my trip and saved around $360.00! Very excited!!

Sometimes they don't ask, so be sure to ask them if there is a Dis Visa discount available. I've gotten into the habit of asking everywhere, just in case! If you go to the Dis Visa rewards site you will see a list of stores and restaurants that have the discount.
In other news, switched from Nature view room at WL to a Copper Creek Deluxe Studio for my trip and saved around $360.00! Very excited!!
Congrats on the switch! And thanks for the advice. I’ll just make sure to ask about the Dis Visa discount. Hope it works out and saves us a few bucks.

Just an fyi if you didn't hear, that test track is closing from Jan 13th - Feb 27th. I personally wasn't mad about it anyway so don't mind missing it but it will make the other rides have longer queues 😔

Just an fyi if you didn't hear, that test track is closing from Jan 13th - Feb 27th. I personally wasn't mad about it anyway so don't mind missing it but it will make the other rides have longer queues 😔

Yeah, this was a bummer, my 7 year old declared he isn't going to Disney when I told him. I'm pretty sure he was just being dramatic LOL, but he does love test track.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!