Official July 2018 Thread!

Hello, All!

Winters are usually a blah time for me as I struggle with some issues that keep me sick. boooo. However, I am finally getting into Disney planning mood! I see I must have at least introduced myself at one point on this thread since I see my name listed on the first page... and the first person at that! :)

My DH and I will be staying at Port Orleans French Quarter June 27 - July 6. I definitely cannot wait.

I am looking forward to reading all about your wonderful plans!

Hello fellow planners!
Just booked a solo trip for my birthday. I'll be at the Grand Floridian from July 6-10. I'm a teacher and it's so much easier to get away in the summer. I'll learn to deal with the heat!

Yes! I have to go in the summer too! I always say... as long as I know in advance it will be crowded and hot... I'm good. It still gets a tad miserable, but I'm at Disney I don't usually care!!! :)

Seems you are arriving the day I am leaving though.

Yes! I have to go in the summer too! I always say... as long as I know in advance it will be crowded and hot... I'm good. It still gets a tad miserable, but I'm at Disney I don't usually care!!! :)

Seems you are arriving the day I am leaving though.

I also have to go in the summer for that reason! I like to think of the heat as a reason to take a nice poolside break/nap ("because you're on vacation!") or change my outfit! I also love supporting Disney small shops so it's also my excuse to buy more clothes lol

I also have to go in the summer for that reason! I like to think of the heat as a reason to take a nice poolside break/nap ("because you're on vacation!") or change my outfit! I also love supporting Disney small shops so it's also my excuse to buy more clothes lol

I love swimming!!! And the Pool at POFQ is so awesome. Nothing like getting a spot near the fun alligators and chilling out. :)

Can someone tell me about their summer experience with a baby? DS will be right at 6 months old during the trip. We will have two other kids with us DD6 and DS5. This isn’t our first trip and won’t be our last, but we’ve all agreed we don’t want to wait a year to enjoy WDW but with both kids in school next year, summer it is! We don’t have to see and do everything, but has anyone went with a baby during the summer and absolutely regretted it?! We have no problems with early mornings or late nights. I’ve made ADRs during the heat of the day, either right before we would leave a park or right as we come back for the evening. We will be there for a week but only did 3 parkdays so everyother day will be a resort, Disney Springs or maybe a waterpark day.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me about their summer experience with a baby? DS will be right at 6 months old during the trip. We will have two other kids with us DD6 and DS5. This isn’t our first trip and won’t be our last, but we’ve all agreed we don’t want to wait a year to enjoy WDW but with both kids in school next year, summer it is! We don’t have to see and do everything, but has anyone went with a baby during the summer and absolutely regretted it?! We have no problems with early mornings or late nights. I’ve made ADRs during the heat of the day, either right before we would leave a park or right as we come back for the evening. We will be there for a week but only did 3 parkdays so everyother day will be a resort, Disney Springs or maybe a waterpark day.

I’ve done Disney with little ones and have had great experiences. It sounds like you already are thinking smart planning wise with early mornings and late nights to avoid the heat. When we went, I just had the mind set of “flexibility”. A lot of times, one of us would sit with baby while the other one did rides with the older kid. I love sitting and people watching at Disney or perusing shops, so this was no problem for me. I would definitely be sure to know where the baby care centers are at each park... they are fabulous. Also, my babies were very sound sensitive so headphones that cancel out noise were great for our kids.

Oh I am starting to get nervous about this trip!! Everyone I talk to say I am crazy for going over the 4th of July. They say I am going to be miserable. It’s just a short trip the 2nd-5th. I may add a day, but not sure.

I really think it will be fine. I’m the type of person that is really flexible and if the crowds/heat get to me I can do things to fix that. Just having some second thought...

Anyone care to share tips of how you handle summer at Disney??

Dont be nervous! I'm sure you will have a great time! We are going the following week so we are getting the "Orlando? In July? You know its going to be summertime, right?"

My tip would be to find an attraction that is 20-40 min long (American Adventure, PhilharMagic, Spaceship Earth, etc) and to ride it right about the time the afternoon storms roll in as a way of resting. It will keep you out of the rain, and in A/C. We did this last year with Spaceship Earth and I (DH) was asleep before we were in Egypt. Even if you dont fall asleep, a bit of cooling off and being away from crowds can do wonders to your outlook (atleast I think so :)).

Be flexible, and I think you'll have a great time!

We are arriving at All Star Movies on 07-08, checking out 07-17. So excited. :) I had a mother/daughter trip with my now 18 y/o when she was 8 and now it is my mother/daughter trip for my 10 y/o. Dining reservations booked and I got what I wanted...except for the Tiana's riverboat which is closed for refurb. blah. I keep going back to my FP list and what I want on each day. I do have some free days so that will help in my FP planning!

Welcome!
Kind of a random question, but has anyone done the Starlight Safari at AKL? If so, how was it? Thanks all!

**Edit 1** Removed reference to an ADR as it isnt important anymore.:)

Last edited:
Oh I am starting to get nervous about this trip!! Everyone I talk to say I am crazy for going over the 4th of July. They say I am going to be miserable. It’s just a short trip the 2nd-5th. I may add a day, but not sure.

I really think it will be fine. I’m the type of person that is really flexible and if the crowds/heat get to me I can do things to fix that. Just having some second thought...

Anyone care to share tips of how you handle summer at Disney??

Don't let others make you nervous. I've been during spring break, August, July and October. All have their negative points, but when you go into the trip knowing that it will be busy on 07-04, you are mentally preparing yourself for the busy day. Just go early just in case they come to a park max. :) Have fun!!

We go early and stay late. Every time we go from one attraction to another, we do a bathroom break. I'd rather go that often versus getting stuck in line when someone needs to go to the bathroom. Been there...done that. eek! We walk through stores to get that AC fix. Smile and just take it all in.

So for this trip, i am only doing 2 park days but will have hoppers. Here is what I am thinking.

July 2nd- arrival- pool/relax and Disney springs for Dinner.

July 3rd-
Breakfast at 730 at Whispering Canyon
AK in the AM. Back to the room to rest and hit the pool and have a quick lunch.
MK in the evening- probably around 5ish. Including dinner at the Plaza at 7. Stay for fireworks.

July 4th- AK in the AM. Again back to the room to rest and pool.
Epcot in the PM hours. Including dinner at Via Napoli or Le Celliar.

July 5th- breakfast at resort and head home.

Skipping HS this trip due to how crazy it will probably be with Toy Story Land opening the week before.

Thoughts? Would you switch the MK and Epcot days?

I think those are good plans. I’m not sure how crazy MK will be July 4, but I like the split days. I think that you may, depending on when it rains, miss most or all of the humid heat of the day. Good luck!

I think those are good plans. I’m not sure how crazy MK will be July 4, but I like the split days. I think that you may, depending on when it rains, miss most or all of the humid heat of the day. Good luck!

Thanks!!
That’s is what I was hoping to do. I have been to Florida a ton during July, but usually at Daytona so I am very familiar with the humidity and afternoon rain showers/storms. I figured MK would be really crowded on the 4th so that is why I opted to go on the 3rd.

This little trip is coming together nicely. I have been surprised that I have been able to get reservations at places I want to eat so easily.

I concur. We continue to see relatively open times with ADRs and while we are pretty well set with ours, these openings make me consider changing one of them. At some point, I really should do a pre-trip report lol

I really want to do a pre trip and post trip report but I have no idea how to even start it and I would love to post pics but I can’t figure that out at all...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!