"Official" Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2017 - Believe in the Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are attending the 12/17 party, and until tonight had not been able to book a dinner ADR at BOG for ANY night during our trip. An 8:10 res came up tonight during the party. I know this is personal preference for a lot of people, but should we take time out of the party to have dinner at BOG? We won't be waiting in line for pics with characters, and had planned to attend the 11:00pm parade, and otherwise just enjoy the night, the rides and the decorations. Pros and cons? Thoughts??

I might not take that. People report that tons of ADRs open up a day or two in advance due to people solidifying plans and cancelling extraneous ADRs. So you might be able to grab one for a different day a few days in advance.

Wow, parties are selling out like crazy.

We were at the sold out November 28 party, so I wanted to jump in and calm fears anyone has of sold out parties. This was our first party.

Longest lines were rare characters and magic shots. My worry was not getting any of the rare characters, so we decided Sandy Claws was priority number one, Moana #2. I was in line for Jack by 5:25. Wife and 2 kids went to see what Moana's line was, she was already an estimated 2 hours according to the cast member, so they came back to join me. Jack came out at 6, we met him by 6:50, so missed none of the party. We we didn't get in line for any of the other meet and greets, but did walk over to see a few of them, including the Seven Dwarfs. They were very entertaining just to stand off to the side and watch.

Nearly every ride was walk on, except the big 2 in Fantasyland. Lines for snacks were minimal. Had a great spot for Holiday Wishes about 20 minutes before the show near the back of the hub. Went straight to find a parade spot after for the 2nd parade, and snagged a row 2 spot on Main Street just outside the Emporium, near the tree.

As long as you have realistic expectations you won't do everything, pick out one or 2 must do's, then the rest will be a pleasant surprise. I was a skeptic of these parties, but will definitely do the Halloween and Christmas ones again if the opportunity presents itself.

Truly appreciate your comment. We'll be there on 12/17 (already sold out) but we're not interested in many rides - we have other days and FPs for that.
I'm glad you got good spots both for the fireworks and the parade, those are our main must do's, and just enjoy the atmosphere.

Don't typically post but since I learned SO much about MVMCP from this thread, figured it was only right to provide my experience from the sold out party on Friday, Dec 1.

Had park hopper tix so we were already in the park. Wrist band locations were operating a little before 4 and was a very easy, painless process. Now, our number one goal was to get pic with 7 dwarfs. So, we headed up to Storybook circus around 5:15 after reading reports on this thread about when the line typically forms. They were still setting up the actual queue when we got there but there was a line formed just outside so we got in it. We were the 5th group (which I was really happy with). Finished the queue couple min later and we moved into the "tent". I would say the line really started getting long around 5:30/5:45. 7D came out promptly at 6:15. Cast members (character handlers) do not mess around. Prompt you to be ready, then get you in and out of photos (which I think is great). Do allow multiple shots if you want different people but since not that much interaction, it moved quickly.

Number two priority was Pooh and friends. Knowing they come out at 7 (again, due to this thread), we headed over there next. Got in line around 6:40 and were 4th group. Line built fast around 6:50. They came out a little after 7. Finished them at 7:15.

Did rides for next couple hours. Once first parade was past Frontier land, rides over there (Thunder, Splash, Haunted Mansion, even those in Fantasyland) get a lot busier. We got to ride Thunder 2x in a row, then Splash, then HM and they were all walk-on BUT, once off Thunder after parade, lots of people headed up that way.

Got in line for Nick and Judy right before Wishes (around 9:45)...probably only 12-14 groups in front of us however it took almost 45 min to get through it because...(I don't want to get off on a rant here but...) I appreciate that characters take some time to interact with people, especially kids (full disclosure...don’t have any kids so it was me and my wife at party), but Nick and Judy took approx 5-7 min with each group. Gets a little tiresome in line seeing the time tick away. I know it's on us to decide to get in line, so the decision to wait that long was ours, and only ours. But, at one point, between groups, they spent 3-4 min interacting with the photo pass person and the character handler. No one could even hear what the cast members were saying so that was annoying. (rant over).

Big rush of people after Wishes to rides in Tommorrowland. Did notice a down tick in people in line for stuff from 10:30 to 11:00 as they were heading to watch second parade. We found a spot for parade in Frontier land one row back from front 10 min before start. Got a little lucky as a group that was there just moved over a bit and the two of us took their spot. I would say if you don't mind seeing parade from Frontier land, if you get there 10 min before start, you'll be able to stand and see pretty much everything.

Ended party doing all rides. Did 7DMT twice at the end of the night. Wait time said 40 min but it was 20-25 each time we did it.

Started walking out of the park around 12:15 and main street still had a TON of people getting pics of castle. I would say each Photo Pass person had a line of 6-10 groups but that goes pretty quick. Awesome that Disney keeps them out there until late after the party. We got some of our best photos after 12:30 am that night. Finally left the park around 12:45/1:00.

Overall, very happy we went. Was the first party we even attended. Was a little more crowded than I hoped. Walked by some of the other characters and those lines were long all night. For the most part only 7DMT and Peter Pan had waits over 25 min most of the night. Cookie lines seemed long when you look at them but they go really, really fast. Only walked down main street once during the party...after parade…before Wishes…very cool to see everything but super crowded with picture takers, parade spot holders, shoppers, etc. Good advice I’ve read on this thread is to eat early (before party)…and then snack after that. As wife waiting in line for Nick/Judy, I went and bought some food and we ate in line (good use of time if you ask me). There aren’t a lot of “real” food options during the party so something like Cosmic Rays that has real food, plus cookies, plus Club Tinsel…was pretty busy all night.

To those who are attending future parties, enjoy your time there..don’t over stress about getting everything in. If you are constantly worrying about getting to do everything you want, you won’t fully enjoy what you are doing at that very moment.

I have been reading this thread a lot and have some questions. We have tickets for 12/17 and are very excited! One question I have is when we arrive at 4pm to the party, are they still having party goers go on the bypass where the party items for sale and cookies are? I am just wondering if I can buy items when I arrive at 4 or have to wait until 7 when it starts? Also, since there will have been many parties prior to this one, will a lot of the items be sold out or will there be plenty saved for each party?
And last question, will it be doable to see the 7D (lining up at 5pm) at around 6:15 when they come out and then go straight to Scrooge?
Thank you for any help and such a great forum!

I have been reading this thread a lot and have some questions. We have tickets for 12/17 and are very excited! One question I have is when we arrive at 4pm to the party, are they still having party goers go on the bypass where the party items for sale and cookies are? I am just wondering if I can buy items when I arrive at 4 or have to wait until 7 when it starts? Also, since there will have been many parties prior to this one, will a lot of the items be sold out or will there be plenty saved for each party?
And last question, will it be doable to see the 7D (lining up at 5pm) at around 6:15 when they come out and then go straight to Scrooge?
Yes, they are still using the bypass, but there is no merchandise for sale there. Most of the shops will sell you party merchandise prior to 7 with your wristband though. Limited edition items can sell out (as can regular party merchandise) - they don’t hold a certain amount back for each party, if that’s what you’re asking?

If you are one of the very first in line for the dwarfs, you should be done by 6:30. Line up around 5 to ensure this. I’d expect the line for Scrooge to be close to an hour long at this point though (at least that was our experience last year at a sold out party). His line starts building between 6 and 6:15.

I might not take that. People report that tons of ADRs open up a day or two in advance due to people solidifying plans and cancelling extraneous ADRs. So you might be able to grab one for a different day a few days in advance.

I agree with this. I had three different BOG reservations come up the night before our party (11/28, which was sold out) - all times before 6 p.m. - and managed to get the 4:30 p.m. time I had been wanting for months, which allowed us to eat and hit rides before the party started.

Yes, they are still using the bypass, but there is no merchandise for sale there. Most of the shops will sell you party merchandise prior to 7 with your wristband though. Limited edition items can sell out (as can regular party merchandise) - they don’t hold a certain amount back for each party, if that’s what you’re asking?

If you are one of the very first in line for the dwarfs, you should be done by 6:30. Line up around 5 to ensure this. I’d expect the line for Scrooge to be close to an hour long at this point though (at least that was our experience last year at a sold out party). His line starts building between 6 and 6:15.

November 28th, there was a small merch cart. Didn't have a lot.

Thank you for the reply! I was wondering if some items have already sold out or they still have them? Mainly the t-shirts. Would it be better to wait to meet Scrooge later in the night or that would be the best time?

I don't know how things are this year, but we met the Dwarfs last year. We lined up close to 5 and waited well over an hour after they came out around 6:30. It was definitely a hard wait for my two little ones, but, unlike the previous poster's experience this year (not a lot of interaction), they did interact with our kids a bit. And when I said Bashful was my favorite, he came around to me and hugged me. One of the Dwarfs put his scarf around my 6 year old. My kids LOVE Grumpy, so they talked to him a bit.

The line for Scrooge was very long when we were done with the Dwarfs, so we skipped him. This year, we'll probably meet Scrooge first, and Sandy Claus sometime late in the party. Those are our two top priorities. Fingers crossed! We'll be at the same party as you. I hope your lines are kind to you!

I'll also share my quick report about our experience with young kids at the sold out 11-28 party. I had stressed for weeks about the perfect ADR time, and getting in everything we wanted, while getting the kids (2 and 6) to bed at a reasonable time. The good news, as mentioned above, is that I managed to get a 4:30 BOG ADR which popped up the night before the party, and also that our FPs were never canceled. 11-28 was our arrival day, and I did not buy park tickets for that day.

We were let in early, before 4 p.m., although the line to get in for the party was fairly long. We skipped the bypass because we were rushing to hit FP+ in Adventureland. We had dinner at BOG, which truly lived up to the hype and was perfect for a holiday party night, and then hit our last FP+ (7DMT was down, so we rode Winnie the Pooh). We did a few more rides in Fantasyland after 6 p.m., and the wait times were minimal. We grabbed four different types of cookies and hot chocolate at Pinocchio Village Haus, rode a couple rides in Adventureland, got our picture with the big Christmas ornament (lines for characters and magic shots were nuts, but this line was short) and circled back to grab a snack at Sleepy Hollow (wanted to try the red velvet waffles and Jack Skellington cake pop; waffles were good but my kids hated the cake pop) and found a spot for the stage show right around 7:30. It was crowded, and we had to weave our way through a lot of people, but got a decent spot in the hub even that close to showtime.

The stage show at 7:40 was okay, and hard to see. My kids got over it very quickly, and my six year old decided she was done for the night and wanted to go back to the Poly to bed. So, despite my careful planning about parade viewing spots, etc., we left by 8:00 p.m.!

Overall, it was really fun to experience the party, even briefly. I think we'll try again next year, but I'll expect that my kids will be too tired to experience much of the party until they're older. Also, doing a party on our arrival day was probably a mistake, although I was glad that we bought the party tickets and not park tickets also.

Have fun everyone!!! :)

I don't know how things are this year, but we met the Dwarfs last year. We lined up close to 5 and waited well over an hour after they came out around 6:30. It was definitely a hard wait for my two little ones, but, unlike the previous poster's experience this year (not a lot of interaction), they did interact with our kids a bit. And when I said Bashful was my favorite, he came around to me and hugged me. One of the Dwarfs put his scarf around my 6 year old. My kids LOVE Grumpy, so they talked to him a bit.

The line for Scrooge was very long when we were done with the Dwarfs, so we skipped him. This year, we'll probably meet Scrooge first, and Sandy Claus sometime late in the party. Those are our two top priorities. Fingers crossed! We'll be at the same party as you. I hope your lines are kind to you!
Scrooge is my number 1 priority, but I know the 7D (our 2nd priority) come out earlier so thought I should see them first. But I don' t want to miss out on Scrooge! Should I switch them around and try to see the dwarves later?

Ok. I have read every post and am a veteran Disney planner but I'm still freaking out about going to the party for the first time! Anyone want to help me optimize a plan? It's just two adults. This is what we want to do:

Both parades ( We both grew up watching this on TV and want to see this more than anything, we want to see the first parade on Main Street)
Fireworks
Winnie the Pooh Meet and Greet
Castle lighting
Castle stage show
Tomorrowland stage show
Magic shots and treats as time permits

This seems like not much but I'm still stressing.

Yes! And yesterday sold out during the day too.
November 9, 26, 28 and December 1, 5, 17, 22 have sold out.
Even though it will probably sell out too, I feel so clever for choosing the 19th over the 17th and 22nd. Everything I read online was trying to tell me that Sunday would be better.

How have the wait times been for Mary Poppins and Bert? (Sorry if I missed any reports)

We walked by around 10:45 and there were only 5 groups in line and not much more than that after we left. Might have something to do with 11:00 parade coming up but we were happy to see that line so short.

Scrooge is my number 1 priority, but I know the 7D (our 2nd priority) come out earlier so thought I should see them first. But I don' t want to miss out on Scrooge! Should I switch them around and try to see the dwarves later?

I wish I knew! I might suggest doing the Dwarfs early and then hit Scrooge right after the fireworks or something. But I have read about some people having luck meeting the Dwarfs later in the party. I'm definitely not an expert; I just know that it took such a long time to meet the Dwarfs last year. But if you were first in line for the Dwarfs and they came out at 6:15, I'd imagine Scrooge's line wouldn't be too terrible. Unfortunately, I don't know what time gets you first in line. Last year, at our party, it was definitely earlier than 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter