***Official*** Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Information Thread *** Contains SPOILERS ***

Adding hopscotch instead of roaming aliens or Resistance training feeds the perception that Disney cheaped out on a land with two much dead space and pay-to-play attractions, and is scrambling 🤷‍♀️
I think some people are inclined toward the perception that Disney "cheaped out" on the $1 billion land for their own reasons or have been led that way by others working to shape that perception for their own reasons. No matter what Disney does, no matter how reasonable it is in context, just about as many people are going to have negative impressions regardless.

I think some people are inclined toward the perception that Disney "cheaped out" on the $1 billion land for their own reasons or have been led that way by others working to shape that perception for their own reasons. No matter what Disney does, no matter how reasonable it is in context, just about as many people are going to have negative impressions regardless.
Well, that really stinks for Disney, since it probably means this land was doomed, from a public perception standpoint, from the get-go. But even in that context, ... hopscotch? They need some twenty-something skilled with Twitter and Instagram to tell them how these ideas are going to play on social media before they launch 🙂 I do think if Disney came out and announced that starting Thanksgiving week, there would be a daily stunt show in Batuu, people would be very excited.

Do Batuuins (sp, I'm sure I botched this) not play games or have activities to pass the time in their village? They only shop, eat, drink, smuggle, trade, and fix spacecraft?

I have young kids. If Disney wants to provide some small fringe activities on the side that help me keep my kids occupied/entertained as we wait for a reservation to build a really expensive lightsaber, so be it. I’m all for theme and such, but sometimes the realities of theme park touring with small children conflict with that goal and exceptions for convenience and/or amusement are fine, in my opinion.

Do Batuuins (sp, I'm sure I botched this) not play games or have activities to pass the time in their village? They only shop, eat, drink, smuggle, trade, and fix spacecraft?

I have young kids. If Disney wants to provide some small fringe activities on the side that help me keep my kids occupied/entertained as we wait for a reservation to build a really expensive lightsaber, so be it. I’m all for theme and such, but sometimes the realities of theme park touring with small children conflict with that goal and exceptions for convenience and/or amusement are fine, in my opinion.
Agreed. In the big scheme of things putting a hopscotch game on the ground amounts to very little IMO. The keys are Safety, courtesy, show and efficiency, in that order. A game of hopscotch falls under courtesy, we don't have context as to what it is called by Batuuans so that might add into show.
People just love taking anything Disney and ripping it apart for reasons I don't understand
It's like when they put the umbrellas everywhere and the water stations, definitely not SW but again, safety and courtesy come first

Maybe with all the humans visiting in such a short period, they are picking up on our customs? lol
and this is actually part of their show. The Batuuans citizens don't know much about life outside of Batuu, if you ask them about Vader or Leia or Yavin IV, they will answer with "I've heard legends, what do you know about it?" making the guest part of the story and actually the guest is the one providing information. Then, with this brand new info the Batuuans can have a bit more knowledge. So the game may very well be "imported" from off worlders who told them their kids enjoy this back home.
The same will happen at Christmas, they have been told they can wish people a happy holiday or merry christmas because off worlders have told them about the traditions back home and they want to make all the visitors feel welcome at the outpost

and this is actually part of their show. The Batuuans citizens don't know much about life outside of Batuu, if you ask them about Vader or Leia or Yavin IV, they will answer with "I've heard legends, what do you know about it?" making the guest part of the story and actually the guest is the one providing information.
IMHO, this was one of the best parts of my Batuu experience! My friend was wearing a Vader shirt and was asked who it was and why she was wearing it. I made a mention to a CM about "Disney" and was asked "what is a Disney?" Hilarity ensued (on my part, anyway) as I tried to explain that "it's a sort of city-state that can be a lovely place to visit, but only if you adhere to some VERY strict rules and regulations. Kind of like the First Order."

Literally on our way to WDW now and really looking forward to experiencing STGE for the 1st time. Those that have gone - any suggestions on best route for touring it. I don’t have any ADR’s. (But do for our Nov trip with 13 birthday child & doing lightsaber on that trip too. ) No kids on this trip, enjoying our anniversary.

Well, that really stinks for Disney, since it probably means this land was doomed, from a public perception standpoint, from the get-go.
Well, it isn't though, because there are always a lot of naysayers but the guests still come in larger and larger numbers.

But even in that context, ... hopscotch?
In 1998, I bought my family and my brother's family to Disney. The kids had a great time, but the most fun they had was playing in the water feature in Downtown Disney, something truly anyone with a car could access for free. While it wasn't the entirety of the trip, sometimes it is great when there is something for the kids that they want, regardless of how little it cost to provide.

Literally on our way to WDW now and really looking forward to experiencing STGE for the 1st time. Those that have gone - any suggestions on best route for touring it. I don’t have any ADR’s. (But do for our Nov trip with 13 birthday child & doing lightsaber on that trip too. ) No kids on this trip, enjoying our anniversary.

Use the App
Look up, at ceilings and walls
Know some Batuu language
Look for easter eggs and Star Wars universe references in the themeing of areas

So we plan on being at HS Friday Oct 25th. We will more than likely wait to enter SWGE until later in the day. Looks like from what I've seen on the thread the evening time is one of the best times to go. I am seeing a few open reservations for the Cantina that night as well. Is it really necessary to have an ADR and also is there an age restriction on entering the Cantina? Personally I just want to go in and experience the atomosphere. My apologies if this question has been asked in the thread alreay. Thanks! :earsboy::darth:

So we plan on being at HS Friday Oct 25th. We will more than likely wait to enter SWGE until later in the day. Looks like from what I've seen on the thread the evening time is one of the best times to go. I am seeing a few open reservations for the Cantina that night as well. Is it really necessary to have an ADR and also is there an age restriction on entering the Cantina? Personally I just want to go in and experience the atomosphere. My apologies if this question has been asked in the thread alreay. Thanks! :earsboy::darth:
no age restriction just remember you will most likely get a high bar table with no seating, only about 20% of the cantina has seating.
The land does die down after 7pm so it is the best time to visit

No age restrictions on the cantina. If you have young kids and are placed at a hightop they will not be able to reach the table. Walk-ups are only avaliable when the line to get in is very short, and during all of emh. It’s best to have a reservation. Use the touring plans dining reservation finder, and check frequently yourself. You should be able to get a ressie the night before if you don’t already have one, if you’re persistent in refreshing.

Well, it isn't though, because there are always a lot of naysayers but the guests still come in larger and larger numbers.

In 1998, I bought my family and my brother's family to Disney. The kids had a great time, but the most fun they had was playing in the water feature in Downtown Disney, something truly anyone with a car could access for free. While it wasn't the entirety of the trip, sometimes it is great when there is something for the kids that they want, regardless of how little it cost to provide.
Of course! My son loves the Kai Spinners at Legoland, which are literally the exact same playground equipment at the park down the road 🙂

To be clear, I am not commenting on the quality of the land or its attractions. I think I’m on record as being personally extremely excited to visit. Literally the only reason we switched to Disney instead of Universal in 2020 is SWGE. We will spend MANY hundreds of dollars there. For my husband and son, it will be Nirvana.

But I am separating my own personal feelings about the land (very good) from the way I can see the land is playing in social media (not as good). Right or wrong, love it or hate it, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and, yes, blogs and YouTube, are a major driver of public opinion. My only point was that a narrative has been set for Disney and if their goal is to change the narrative, that was probably not helpful. Then again, Disney is in the business of creating and nurturing public perception on a great number of things, so maybe I am totally off base and they are perfectly fine with how it’s going.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter