D23 EXPO 2019 Superthread - dates announced!

Do you want Fresno - ABC30's Cory James to cover Media Day at Disneyland - SWGE?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. It HAS to be in advance. Only way to control crowds and avoid angry mob descending on guest services when they couldn’t get into SWGE.
If reservation was only AFTER entering that’s the same as having Maxpass and only allowing those with FP in next hour to enter (similar to how they did entry to Pandora). And they are clearly NOT doing it that way so it has to be a reservation in advance.

That doesn't control the angry mob who have park tickets though - they will still enter the park early, get to the entrance or as close as they can to GE and then kick off saying what advanced reservations did I need? Then they will go to guest services!

The details of how to go about making a reservation for SWGE have not yet been published. My only comment would be - is there anyway you can manage to stay at even Paradise Pier as that could improve your odds and would give you a jump on the crowds with EMH? I never recommend staying onsite but this is unknown territory here.
I wish it was a possibility but the price I got was too good. I'm not stressed about getting a reservation I'm going to try and I'll keep an eye on this thread and try but if we don't get them I'm going to enjoy everything else DL has to offer

I am a bit afraid of the angry mob that don't have reservations and are trying to get in.

So does anyone still think there may be paid previews prior to the 31st? It’s probably better for my wallet if the answer no but we’re there the weekend prior to opening for DDs 14th bday...

I'd like everyone to consider how often your average person reads fine print. I predict a LOT of people who hear May 31st will be full stop and read or listen no more - they are going to show up in droves and ask "reservation?....what reservation?"

I think Disney should have put a big red "soft opening" stamp on this announcement rather than bury it in articles that only serious planners and Disney fans will read through entirely.

This was my exact thought when right after they announced the dates. I got an email from a Disney travel agent where ONLY the opening dates were put in the email. Of course they wanted you to email them to book for you, etc., but nothing was put in there about reservations or any notice that not everyone may make it into the area...I am not on social media anymore other than this board and am wondering what effects that will have as well with what (I’m assuming) as just the opening date being passed around. They are the experts though, so crossing fingers for the CMs that all runs smoothly.

There is NO way that the reservation system will be set up so that you can't make a reservation until you enter the park. NO WAY. The whole purpose of this system at Disneyland is to control crowds onsite.

I suspect they will simply have a sign up online where you sign into your Disney account (I think having a Disney account will be required and that is how they will track it) and then reserve a time slot, naming the number of guests who will be with you. You will get a print out or it will show on your app, and you will show that to gain entry to the land on your designated day. If people make a reservation without a ticket, they will likely be told that a ticket will be required for regular park admission on the day of their reservation. I suspect the printout will say "Not a theme park admission ticket" in huge, bold lettering on the top. If those people don't show up at their designated day/time, too bad. I think they will build in a certain percentage of no shows into the system, likely overbooking it somewhat.

What I think people WILL be able to do is, book a time slot once PER REGISTERED GUEST. Like, in my household, I will be able to book a time slot for "4 guests" under my account, and my husband will also be able to do so, on a different day. They cannot require ALL guests coming into the land to make their own reservation (like, kids can't create a Disney account) and they have to account for large or extended families where not all the adults will have a Disney account (grandparents, etc).

Once you make the reservation online, it will likely just be "Registered member plus X number of guests." I think they will make it non transferable, or people will sell them online. So, each reservation will likely be linked to one Disney account.

I agree that it makes the most sense to control crowds by having guests sign up online. I disagree that you and your husband can both make reservations. Reservations will be tied to admission media. My kids don't have a Disney account, but I can put their's and my husband's and even my mom's tickets all in my account for MP. If I can do it for MP I can do it to make a reservation for GE. So I expect the reservations to be tied to admission. Otherwise so many APnlocals with friends could just sign up for themselves and X number of friends.

I agree that it makes the most sense to control crowds by having guests sign up online. I disagree that you and your husband can both make reservations. Reservations will be tied to admission media. My kids don't have a Disney account, but I can put their's and my husband's and even my mom's tickets all in my account for MP. If I can do it for MP I can do it to make a reservation for GE. So I expect the reservations to be tied to admission. Otherwise so many APnlocals with friends could just sign up for themselves and X number of friends.

Exactly my thoughts. I'm assuming APs will be eligible for only one reservation for their own ticket during the May 31 - June 23 dates. Similarly, they can tie one reservation to each 1-day, 2-day, 3-day, 4-day, or 5-day ticket. I'm guessing they probably won't go so far as to figure out how to block anyone from making multiple visits during that period with a new ticket each time, but that is pricey and during such a short period of time, you aren't likely to have all that many guests who will visit the parks multiple times using different ticket media each time.

Not everyone has annual passes though. What of people coming who haven't purchased tickets yet? Who is to say that my 3 guests are the rest of my family members?

I'm sooo curious to find out how they're going to do reservations. I don't think it'll be show up and get one at the park, as that will create a madhouse at park opening. But how are they going to manage accepting advanced reservations? Hopefully they'll release details soon!

Not everyone has annual passes though. What of people coming who haven't purchased tickets yet? Who is to say that my 3 guests are the rest of my family members?

Guests? You make a reservation for your own ticket. You won't get guests. It doesn't leave out anyone. The reservations will be tied to a specific ticket, 99% sure of that. CM can scan the ticket just like a FP and they'll know whether you are eligible to enter the land or queue for the ride. Highly unlikely they'll say you and 3 guests can enter. That doesn't make sense with the tech they've put in place these last few years. So many things can be attached to admission media (tickets).

ETA: This app tech is not related to APs. Regular tickets are added to the app and used for MP everyday.

I just want to add that I think it was very smart on Disney’s part by not initially offering FP for these rides. I think there is just going to be too much demand and that will cause its own set of issues. How long did it take Universal to finally add EP for the Potter rides? I wonder if Disney will employ a similar strategy long term for these rides at first?

No way. That will leave out a huge number of guests.

Um, maybe, but I think there will be more eligible guests left than the capacity of the land every day. I expect these reservations to sell out completely for the time period, and not everyone is going to get one. And can't any ticket be added to an account these days, even those ones you buy at the grocery store? I'm not exactly sure what you think the impediment is. Yes, it will leave people out who can't or won't use the internet or an app I suppose, but then I would guess those people are probably getting used to being left out of certain things in modern life.

Um, maybe, but I think there will be more eligible guests left than the capacity of the land every day. I expect these reservations to sell out completely for the time period, and not everyone is going to get one. And can't any ticket be added to an account these days, even those ones you buy at the grocery store? I'm not exactly sure what you think the impediment is. Yes, it will leave people out who can't or won't use the internet or an app I suppose, but then I would guess those people are probably getting used to being left out of certain things in modern life.
We are coming from New Zealand (although after this time period so it won’t apply to us), the tickets we have are a voucher that needs to be redeemed for tickets at the ticket booth. The voucher itself can’t be scanned into the app. I imagine a lot of people would be in a similar situation.

We are booked at the VGC May 29 through June 3 and am trying to wrap my head around the SWGE opening. Do the bag check stations along Disneyland Dr, Harbor, and at the GCH close overnight? If they do close overnight, what time do they open in the morning?

Something they did at Tokyo Disneyland for a super popular show was a lottery system. You scan your park admission ticket/AP like when getting a paper FP, and then you get a FP-like paper ticket out either with a reservation or with a "sorry" message.

In the case of SWGE hotel guests could just be given that FP-like paper ticket. Other guests have to scan into the lottery.

:wizard:

Something they did at Tokyo Disneyland for a super popular show was a lottery system. You scan your park admission ticket/AP like when getting a paper FP, and then you get a FP-like paper ticket out either with a reservation or with a "sorry" message.

In the case of SWGE hotel guests could just be given that FP-like paper ticket. Other guests have to scan into the lottery.

@HydroGuy That is a very interesting point that you raise. As a veteran of SWW in Florida it was not uncommon for people to sleep in line for a reserved autograph fast pass.

I have a split stay, two reservations booked. The first is May 29, through the 31, and then June 1 through the 3rd. I am wondering how that will play out. Two opportunities to visit?

We are booked at the VGC May 29 through June 3 and am trying to wrap my head around the SWGE opening. Do the bag check stations along Disneyland Dr, Harbor, and at the GCH close overnight? If they do close overnight, what time do they open in the morning?
They do close, but folks can still walk through to go from DTD to Harbor side hotels.

Not sure if you have been to DLR before, but the Esplanade between DL and DCA is all within security. Anyone there before the security opens is asked to leave to go outside security and re-enter. Not sure how they handle DTD since they moved security outside DTD.

They do close, but folks can still walk through to go from DTD to Harbor side hotels.

Not sure if you have been to DLR before, but the Esplanade between DL and DCA is all within security. Anyone there before the security opens is asked to leave to go outside security and re-enter. Not sure how they handle DTD since they moved security outside DTD.

This will be our third trip, But only ever entered through GCH. Thank you for clarifying. Do you know what time security opens, and do they all open at the same time, including GCH?

This will be our third trip, but we have only ever entered through the GCH. Thank you for the information! Do you know if the bag check at GCH opens at the same time as the Esplanade bag checks?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter