D23 EXPO 2019 Superthread - dates announced!

Do you want Fresno - ABC30's Cory James to cover Media Day at Disneyland - SWGE?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a Disney fan forever. My friends think it's an addiction but I just call it love, lol. We just bought a Sunday ticket and then bought the room and park ticket for after 4 (to use on Sat), through the link that came up after we got the tickets.
Then, super excited, I came here to read all about it.
All the comments about the lines and seating issues really got me down. Now I regret booking the trip. I really wanted to see the parks panel but there's no way my husband is going to get up in the middle of the night just to wait in line for hours after we paid for it... I didn't realize you had to do that.

Can we cancel the tickets? I'm going to check and see if I can cancel the room.
I'll call Disney to see if we can cancel the park tickets or upgrade to a full day ticket for another time.
I'd this doable?
I'm so sad. But it's my fault. I should have researched more before paying for everything.

I have to recommend reading through my trip report in my signature. While we did wait in some long lines, there were also lots of fun things we walked right up to or waited half an hour.

We had our reservation yesterday morning. I was so scared when I got the email about adding people a couple days ago but it was awesome. Got straight in the Catina line following the tips to arrive early and keep right. About 5 minutes to give our name. Return was supposed to be 45 min so we rode the Falcon, maybe 10-15 wait tops, got our Falcon picture and the text to return came early, only 30 minutes. They were pushing breakfast menu but said we could order anything. They were impressed I knew our order without looking and said I should join the crew. It wasn't super kid friendly but I kept my 5 year old happy with promises of a Vader stuffed animal. The 8 year old loved the atmosphere and the Carbon Freeze (no booze) and the Ogas Obsession. Wait wasn't too bad, the longest was to get a fresh boxed Ewok mug but at that point we were paid so DH took the boys to get the promised stuffies. More wandering and saw the interaction with Rey and Chewie. Got into another maybe 10 minute line for the Falcon then we were ready to head out before the 11am group descended. It was awesome and I loved the reservation period. Couldn't have done it without all your help though.

The Sorcerer RSP emails went out, along with the merchandise links. I'm not linking them, but it's not very difficult to find. ;)
It's a very eclectic collection of stuff - probably reflecting the larger scope of the Expo itself.

I wonder if they'll have more Haunted Mansion stuff onsite at MOG. They had a few things, but nothing I fell in love with.

Which I guess is better for my wallet 😆

I just posted an exhaustive Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge trip report and about a billion photos over in the Disneyland Trip Reports sub-forum!

We had reservations Saturday at 5pm. I can't help but think that people who go after the reservation period ends will have a better time...
Really excellent trip report! And funny. I respect your opinions as a fellow person who grew up with the franchise- I was 13 when A New Hope came out. Very much looking forward to experiencing it for myself in September, and I suspect that while it’ll be cool, I will also be thinking, this should be Tatooine.

Also so weird but I was at the park this morning and this family was wearing Tuesday 8am-12pm GE wristbands. But we were in Carsland and it was 8:40am. There is no way they could have done anything in GE and still park hopped in carsland that early. But were they just going to GE super late? Why walk back and forth. So many questions but I thought it rude to ask.

Really excellent trip report! And funny. I respect your opinions as a fellow person who grew up with the franchise- I was 13 when A New Hope came out. Very much looking forward to experiencing it for myself in September, and I suspect that while it’ll be cool, I will also be thinking, this should be Tatooine.

Exactly! I can't wait to hear what you think!

I was 7 when A New Hope came out and it's the first movie I actually remember going to. (I've heard I went to Fantasia; I'm assuming a re-release or something, and cried through the entire Night on Bald Mountain, but luckily I don't remember that. :) )
Tatooine is a dump. Luke couldn't wait to get out of there, Obi Wan went there to forget and be forgotten. Nothing good happens there. Not where I want to go on vacation.
I think once all the landscaping grows in, GE will look a lot more similar to Endor. But Endor has no civilizations, only a bunch of overgrown teddy bears running around. Can't exactly hire a bunch of toddlers every year to run around in Ewok suits.
20 years from now, the people who actually remember seeing those movies in the theater will be seniors (ugh, I wish that were farther away then it is for me) , not exactly the target market for Disney. They prefer young families who can pass on the addiction when the kids are small. Those parents will have grown up with the most recent movies and will have memories of this land opening when they were kids and how cool it was to see the movies they grew up with come to life. It's not like they can just rip the whole land out and redo it every 10 years. It's the only thing that makes sense if they want it to have any legs.
I've gone twice so far and I loved it, had an even better time the second trip. My mom went with us once and she loved it. I guess we're just mindless sheep under Disney's spell.

https://d23.com/disney-channel-stars-at-d23-expo-2019/
Sadly, no David Tennant appearance for duck tales.

I am intrigued by the mention of a Kermit the frog appearance.

Oh man, I would have to fan-girl freak-out. It's probably better he's not coming so no one has to witness that.

I did get to see the Muppets sing Rainbow Connection 'live' for the Legends ceremony where Jim Henson was added. You can hear me sniffling on my cell video of it. Disney are masters of emotional manipulation. :)

I hate Disney’s Star Wars. I firmly believe that both movies are NOT truly Straw Wars in its spirit. My heart will always belong to the original trilogy and prequel. I’m 13 years old.

Does that mean that I hate SWGE? Most definitely not, and neither did my dad (and he hates Disney’s Star Wars even more than I do!). We loved it and my dad was especially a fan of the unique touches/decor to the land (particularly Darth Vader’s ship). I was going to write something long but now I’ve totally forgotten- maybe later.

Point is is that while I wish Disney would add more... OG things (and imo that would draw more people to the land, the community is pretty 50/50 on TFA or TLJ) it doesn’t mean that I hate the land because they didnt. And young folks aren’t just fans of the current stuff! ;) Or maybe I’m just old in spirit? :P I think that even people who don’t like current SW should give the land a shot, there’s some things that’ll probably appeal to them too even though Luke and Leia aren’t there (blue milk, Vader’s ship, stormtroopers, droids, Falcon, etc). And the environment is just great and immersive.

I was 7 when A New Hope came out and it's the first movie I actually remember going to. (I've heard I went to Fantasia; I'm assuming a re-release or something, and cried through the entire Night on Bald Mountain, but luckily I don't remember that. :) )
Tatooine is a dump. Luke couldn't wait to get out of there, Obi Wan went there to forget and be forgotten. Nothing good happens there. Not where I want to go on vacation.
I think once all the landscaping grows in, GE will look a lot more similar to Endor. But Endor has no civilizations, only a bunch of overgrown teddy bears running around. Can't exactly hire a bunch of toddlers every year to run around in Ewok suits.
20 years from now, the people who actually remember seeing those movies in the theater will be seniors (ugh, I wish that were farther away then it is for me) , not exactly the target market for Disney. They prefer young families who can pass on the addiction when the kids are small. Those parents will have grown up with the most recent movies and will have memories of this land opening when they were kids and how cool it was to see the movies they grew up with come to life. It's not like they can just rip the whole land out and redo it every 10 years. It's the only thing that makes sense if they want it to have any legs.
I've gone twice so far and I loved it, had an even better time the second trip. My mom went with us once and she loved it. I guess we're just mindless sheep under Disney's spell.

Oh man, I live in the actual desert and use "Tatooine" as my location online a lot. :(

Anyway, I think you have a good point about them using the ST as a springboard for the land instead of the OT. I love all SW content to different degrees, but the ST is what fully did me in (I'm a newer SW fan because I didn't watch the movies until I was an adult).

I just don't know what to make of my phone call to DL Resort reservations. I believe I am receiving the notorious misinformation, but I am sharing just in case someone has any accurate info.

Here's the story:

First, called to inquire about military room rate discount. CM informed that NO discounts to rooms are being given for July, including employee and Visa card discounts. But, she proceeded to tell me they still have A TON of rooms still available in the time frame I wanted to go (mid July). She then said keep calling back because they may open discounts at some point. I really like my deep discounted room, I'll keep calling. It's a pain, but worth it. Sorry to the CM's who will have to look daily for no discount. What can I say, I am cheap. lol

Second, she stated that getting into SWGE will be through a kiosk station starting June 24th to manage crowds. What the what?! I have tried to research and find out if it is true to no avail. It would make sense to hold back JUMBO crowds, but is she still confusing the reservation system until the 23rd with the 24th massive opening? Her way seems like it would make sense. But if they are advertising NO RESERVATIONS required to gain access, I can see some very angry guests if the kiosk runs out of time slots.

I am so curious to see if anything she said was accurate. Personally, I would like the kiosk system. I was at Pandora a week after opening and it was just so thick with people ... and Avatar popularity is a minute fraction compared to Star Wars.

Second, she stated that getting into SWGE will be through a kiosk station starting June 24th to manage crowds. What the what?! I have tried to research and find out if it is true to no avail. It would make sense to hold back JUMBO crowds, but is she still confusing the reservation system until the 23rd with the 24th massive opening? Her way seems like it would make sense. But if they are advertising NO RESERVATIONS required to gain access, I can see some very angry guests if the kiosk runs out of time slots.

I am so curious to see if anything she said was accurate. Personally, I would like the kiosk system. I was at Pandora a week after opening and it was just so thick with people ... and Avatar popularity is a minute fraction compared to Star Wars.

Yes, there will supposedly be kiosks set up that you will need to scan your card at, and be given a "Boarding Group." It was also said that it could be done via Maxpass. Then you will either have to watch the Monitors that will be set up that show which Group is currently being allowed to enter, or they will notify you by Text when it's your group's turn. You will not be assigned a specific time slot, and they'll control admittance by group, depending upon how crowded GE is at any given time.

While you may get assigned to a group, there's no guarantee you'll get into GE, or you may have to wait until late in the evening for your group to be called. The advertisements all have fine print stating that GE will have capacity restrictions, and admittance is not guaranteed.

Starting on the 24th DL has announced that there will be a "boarding group" system to enter SWGE once capacity is reached. Here's @BadPinkTink nice summary of how this is expected to work based on information released thus far:
  1. Star Wars Galaxys Edge will open to ALL guests at general park opening hours
  2. Once capacity has been reached, Disney will open the virtual queuing system
  3. There are 2 ways to access the virtual queuing system A. By using the Disneyland App B. By using a Fastpass kiosk and obtaining a paper Boarding Group ticket
  4. You will be assigned a Boarding Group with a specific time to enter Star Wars Galaxys Edge
  5. When you Boarding Time opens you will be alerted through the APP
  6. If you are not using the APP and have obtained a paper Boarding Group ticket , you will need to check the Digital Display Monitors to see when your Boarding Group opens. There will be no return time on the paper Boarding Group ticket
  7. Once your Boarding Group opens, you will have 2 hours to check into Star Wars Galaxys Edge. This means that if you get an alert that your Boarding Group can enter Star Wars Galaxys Edge, and you are in line at Radiator Springs Racers in California Adventures, you can still ride Radiator Springs Racers. You will have plenty of time to get back to Star Wars Galaxys Edge.
  8. Once inside Star Wars Galaxys Edge, there will be no time limit on how long you can stay
So likely the boarding group kiosk is what the CM was referring to.

@kristenabelle I’d expect some more Haunted Mansion stuff, there is the dress and stuff that wasn’t on the RSP. But also some of that might have been diluted with the Haunted Mansion events earlier in August.

I have a list, but some of the items are super limited. I don’t really expect them, so I won’t be spending as much as I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!