Official Tinkerbell Half Marathon 2018

Did runDisney ever officially announce that the registration for this race was delayed? I just took a quick look at their Facebook and Twitter and don't see anything.

I mean, obviously it is since it didn't happen today and AP registration didn't happen, but it's pretty lame of them not to make an official post or something. People have posted screenshots of emails from runDisney saying registration is delayed, but is that really how they want information like this to be spread? Typical poor/lack of communication...sorry all of you and the Light Side runners are being left hanging like this. :(

I wonder if we can force something out of them by spreading the rumor that we heard the races will be canceled. They don't want people to start making other plans thinking these races aren't happening.

They don't want people to start making other plans thinking these races aren't happening.

I'm going to change my 2018 plans completely if they don't make an announcement soon. I'm about to register for the Surf City half on Feb 4 in lieu of SWLS and then the OC half on May 6 if Tink is still up in the air (then do the Long Beach half and complete the Beach Cities challenge).

I'd rather do the runDisney events though! I'm going to hang in there a while longer. So frustrating!

I wonder if we can force something out of them by spreading the rumor that we heard the races will be canceled. They don't want people to start making other plans thinking these races aren't happening.
Who knows. Their customer service and communication are so awful that I honestly don't expect them to say anything...:confused3

People have posted screenshots of emails from runDisney saying registration is delayed, but is that really how they want information like this to be spread?

I think it's actually a strategy of theirs.

Same overall company that created an official dvc FB page that has no dvc input or moderation, and is just dvc owners explaining things to others. Almost no cost to dvc whatsoever andnit can help educate dvc newbies.

I'm getting more and more anxious about what is going to happen to Tink. My sisters-in-law that are running it with me have decided that Zions National Park half marathon would be our back up for fun, unique, destination race. The only problem is registration for that race opens up in 4 days, and it sells out quickly I've heard. As Tink is our number one choice, we have no choice but to wait which probably means if Tink is canceled we won't get our back up choice either. C'mon runDisney!!!!

Subbing just to see if/when we get news for registration. My sister and I were planning on doing coast to coast for the pink medal....

I really hope its not going to get cancelled!!!!

Ugh! Finally got my husband on board to travel to CA next year for Tinkerbell, I hope it isn't cancelled too! Was looking forward to earning that C2C medal!

I poked around on the website last night and didn't find anything which is either A) RunDisney is VERY lazy when it comes to their website (see: Tink is still the top race weekend on the drop-down calendar) or 2) bad news for those of us planning on Tink.

DLH is their most-popular race weekend this year, and is kind of like the Crown Jewel of the West Coast race season. I think they're holding off to see how that weekend works out - from everything from staffing/volunteers to course changes due to construction to permitting in the City of Anaheim - before making a final decision on the 2018 race season.

That said - I was not very impressed with the new Race Director for the West Coast races starting with DLH Weekend last year ... so much so that I actually contacted him with feedback on the weekend as a whole, especially the course for the 10K (it was an overly hot and humid weekend and the 10K only had two water stops with the first not coming until after Mile 3, and the only med table for Bandaids, etc., was at Mile 5.8 - right before the exit of Disneyland to Downtown Disney) and he genuinely seemed shocked that that's how the courses were structured ... um, OK. You're the guy in charge, pal.

I poked around on the website last night and didn't find anything which is either A) RunDisney is VERY lazy when it comes to their website (see: Tink is still the top race weekend on the drop-down calendar) or 2) bad news for those of us planning on Tink.

DLH is their most-popular race weekend this year, and is kind of like the Crown Jewel of the West Coast race season. I think they're holding off to see how that weekend works out - from everything from staffing/volunteers to course changes due to construction to permitting in the City of Anaheim - before making a final decision on the 2018 race season.

That said - I was not very impressed with the new Race Director for the West Coast races starting with DLH Weekend last year ... so much so that I actually contacted him with feedback on the weekend as a whole, especially the course for the 10K (it was an overly hot and humid weekend and the 10K only had two water stops with the first not coming until after Mile 3, and the only med table for Bandaids, etc., was at Mile 5.8 - right before the exit of Disneyland to Downtown Disney) and he genuinely seemed shocked that that's how the courses were structured ... um, OK. You're the guy in charge, pal.

If that's the case I feel bad for the Light Side runners. Making an announcement after DLH would mean four months to plan a trip for January. Which isn't a whole lot of time really when you factor in the fact that one its Disney and two its a holiday weekend. At least if they are waiting on the announcement from a Tink perspective we have 9 months.

On one hand I'm annoyed by lack of support on the course for the Tink races. On the other...I just did Peachtree two weeks ago which had zero sports drinks on course (they had it after the finish but that's not going to help if you need it on course) which baffles me so Disney looks rather pleasant when compared to that.

But seriously it's Atlanta in July there was plenty of other support not sure why no sports drinks. I just don't understand that choice. If I do it again I might end up requesting medical accommodation since I know I have an electrolyte issue (salty sweater, plus being post WLS means fun times for all if I'm not careful with my hydration, I've all ready resigned myself to the fact that I will probably have to speed walk Tokyo when I eventually do it) and carrying 20 ounces of Powerade (the most I can carry with a fuel belt, since no Camelbacks are allowed) is not enough for 6.2 miles in July in the Deep South.

I think another issue is that they're now going to be throwing in even more construction into the courses that we typically run. With this weekends announcement of Pixar Pier that could mean there will be construction walls up on part of the pier where most (if not all) of the races pass through. Add in the Marvel land expansion at some point (I'm guessing they were holding back details for ComicCon) and California Adventure may become unusable for a race season if both areas are under construction at the same time.

Current written policy is you get all challenge medals you qualify for and races can count for multiple challenges.

It is true that at Tink some runners had to go request their blue band from runner relations. Note that there was no question other than looking up to see if we qualified (finished a half on the other coast) and that we hadn't already received it at a previous race that calendar year.

Who knows what 2018 will be, though. If the wording for the C2C challenges remains the same from 2017, though, you'll get both pink and blue doing just doing Princess and Tink.

Yes... when I did packet pickup, I got a pink wrist band. I had some issues trying to get the blue one and was told I didnt do another half to qualify. I ended up having to go to race relations to get the blue band. That said, I think this was only the second year of them handing out both C2C for doing "just" the princess and tink so they may have been working out some of the kinks still :)

Yes... when I did packet pickup, I got a pink wrist band. I had some issues trying to get the blue one and was told I didnt do another half to qualify. I ended up having to go to race relations to get the blue band. That said, I think this was only the second year of them handing out both C2C for doing "just" the princess and tink so they may have been working out some of the kinks still :)

There were no issues reported at Dark Side 2017 where the same thing happens ("only" doing Light Side and Dark Side to get both blue C2C and Kessel Run medals). They automatically received both bands at pickup without having to go to runner relations. And 2016 it was auto too at Tink (same as at Dark Side 2016 which set the precedent and confirmed the new wording on C2C challenges).

So who knows why Tink 2017 runners had to go the extra mile ::shrug::.

Last edited:
The only good info I have to offer y'all is that all Standard rooms at Disneyland Resorts are currently blocked for a group ... which, generally means RunDisney holds these rooms for race weekends.

There are no standard rooms available for TAs to book at PPH or DLH from 5/10-5/14.

So - that's either Tink Weekend! or it's a convention. But probably Tink Weekend.

The only good info I have to offer y'all is that all Standard rooms at Disneyland Resorts are currently blocked for a group ... which, generally means RunDisney holds these rooms for race weekends.

There are no standard rooms available for TAs to book at PPH or DLH from 5/10-5/14.

So - that's either Tink Weekend! or it's a convention. But probably Tink Weekend.
A glimmer of hope! I'll take it!

Anybody have any news or updates? I've been following Light Side 2018 for awhile to see if any cali races are happening next year. I really hope some kind of news, good or bad, comes up soon! :(

best western stovalls has rooms blocked for RunDisney on Friday night and Saturday night, I had to make reservations on either side of those days and was told to contact RunDisney when the travel options were released

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter