Official Wine and Dine 2016 thread

flvy

Keep moving forward.
I didn't see a 2016 thread so I figured I might as well start one with registration a few months out.

This race sells out extremely quickly. So if you're planning on signing up I'd be by your computer at quarter of noon (est) on March 15th.

As of right now its Disney's only night race and has been pretty cursed weather wise. I'm sure plenty of people want to make up for 2015 and even 2014 I hear 2013 wasn't a walk in the park either.

Last edited:
I can't wait!! Hoping to do W&D for WDW race for C2C. A little stressed about getting into it, hopefully my AP will help.

I'm thinking about doing the 5k in the morning with the kids and then the half that night, I wonder how stressful that would be, I don't want to be tired for the half and the after party.

I'm thinking about doing the 5k in the morning with the kids and then the half that night, I wonder how stressful that would be, I don't want to be tired for the half and the after party.

I didnt do that this year and really wished I had. It seemed like a great warm up. You just go back to the resort to hydrate and nap.

It definitely won't be happening this year, but I'd love a second chance at Wine and Dine someday. I'm still way beyond upset that even though we got to do the best part of the course this past year, we didn't get to do Animal Kingdom. I was really looking forward to that part. I am curious though to see if and how the course will change with all the construction set to happen at Hollywood Studios. No Osborne Lights as part of it next year is already a big negative change.

Maybe in a few years I'll try again, but it needs a year or 2 without weather issues before I am convinced it's not cursed!

I did JJ5k and W&D this year ... and I wouldn't do it again.

I felt like I was grounded post-5k (no fun food, no excessive walking, no Saturday drinks). So if I decide to do W&D again, I definitely won't be stacking races that's for sure ... unless they make it a challenge!

I felt like I was grounded post-5k (no fun food, no excessive walking, no Saturday drinks). So if I decide to do W&D again, I definitely won't be stacking races that's for sure ... unless they make it a challenge!
That's what I would be afraid of, maybe I'll do the half this year and 5k next.

Hi, all

Been lurking for a while now -- my sister is actually the Disney-obsessed, and I'm just happy to enable her :) Actually used this board for planning a surprise trip for her back in 2013 (she was 26 and didn't know we were going to Disney until after we landed at MCO. It was epic).

Anyway. We're both rather Pooh-sized and looking to do something about it, and have figured that a runDisney event would give us that motivation. We're hoping to sign up for Wine&Dine to have a firm goal to work towards…Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Due to an old injury, running is out of the question for me, but we're both pretty fast walkers even without any training (that's NYC for you…) and I know that if we put the time and effort, we could decrease our min/mile well below the 16-threshold. I know walking is encouraged by the Disney powers-that-be, but does anyone who's done a race know how often walkers actually finish?

(we've already got a local 5k, 10k, and 12-miler scheduled for the year as practice and potential proof-of-time, which would hopefully give us at least a one-corral buffer)

So, hi! Looking forward to seeing everyone's awesome posts, and hopefully joining you in November :)

I love the night races, mostly for the after parties. It can be tough to be at WDW and have to relax the day away and not do too much. I use the party as my carrot for the day, the faster I finish the more party time.

I would never double up races in a day, so I get up early and hit a park at rope drop and do as many attractions as I can. We have been so many times this will usually get me my fix. About lunch time I break to eat a decent sized lunch (pretty much anything i want), then try and relax by the pool, in a lounge, sit in a hot tub, this year I spent hours watching the Citizens of Hollywood (minimal walking and a lot of fun). Make sure I am in my hotel room by 4 for a nap, eat dinner around 6:30 (PB&Js) and off to the race.

Thanks! I've dug around on the forums, but missed the book rec -- will check it out.

I'm thinking about it. Haven't decided yet.

Coast to Coast? (Avengers) Or Food and Wine Festival? I can't do both.

I honestly think me signing up will fully depend on if I have the extra money in March after paying for my next two trips. I won't go out of my way, but I do want to run the full 13.1 miles for W&D. I'm just convinced it's cursed now.

it sucks because the sign up is right in between princess and Tink, but I am not sure if I will get out to DL again so I am going for it!
So for those of you that have done W&D was the best part of the party?

I'm thinking about it. Haven't decided yet.

Coast to Coast? (Avengers) Or Food and Wine Festival? I can't do both.

I did both last year. I think if I had to choose between the two I would pick W&D. But that was not about the race, more about all the other things going on (I actually loved the Avengers race - it was for me the best I have done so far, I really enjoyed going through Angels stadium, the costumes and atmosphere were fantastic and there is just something lovely about a CA sunrise run). But with Avengers it all ended when you crossed the finish line. With W&D it felt like a week of fun popping into the festival, going to demonstrations, I got meet the Cake Boss himself - and then it all culminated in the race of the same theme and the after party.

Full disclosure - I have some really strong feelings towards W&D though - It was whilst at the festival a few years back I discovered runDisney existed, and the desire to run that race was what drive me to start running. Whilst it ended up being my third runDisney race, it was the one I felt the connection to because it set the ball in motion for me.

For me this year the struggle is that I would love to avenge the 2015 W&D and do the entire distance, but at the same time I would also love to put in for the NYC marathon lottery - and they are the same weekend!

I did both, but mentally I had already decided that it would be a chill day for me (I hadn't planned on leaving the resort, though I did end up popping over to MK for a late lunch in the end). I guess it all depends on how you prefer to spend your time at WDW - if your priority is to enjoy the parks to their full potential every day and make the most of that, then it is probably a bad idea, but if you are happy to have a resort day, then it might be for you.

Craziest thing I did that trip was attempt the "Avenge the Strip". I did Avengers Infinity Gauntlet challenge, and then straight after the half high tailed it to Santa Ana airport and flew to Vegas for the Rock n Roll half. Our plane got delayed so I ended up having to run over a mile to the start line just to get there in time! (arrived at 3:58pm at bib collection and the race started at 4pm! I started running still pinning on the bib). Almost everyone on the plane was wearing a runDisney shirt so I was in pretty good company. That kind of craziness wiped more than a day off my Vegas vacation, and I think I was more upset about that after my legs decided to go out in protest the next morning o_O That was definitely a one time thing!

I have a wedding in Tampa the weekend before and my wife and I are planning to either come down the week before or stay the week after for vacation. We are leaning towards staying later and if so I'd like to do the race but I'm not sure if I'll be able to commit as early as March.

I love Epcot and Food & Wine and this is my favorite of the Disney races I've done but I wish I was able to have at least until June to decide.

Hi All...I'm hopping on board with this thread. Just like @bellrae said above.....it was at this past Food and Wine Fest (in Oct 2015) whilst celebrating my 40th bday there with my kids that I decided also that I wanted to run one of these races this year and decided that W&D would be the one. Then when I read/heard of the events at the 2015 race I wondered if it was a bad idea. But I am going to stick with the plan and try to register. I hear its a madhouse so a bit worried that I'll get my hopes up for my first 1/2 and then not be able to sign up! :\ but we shall see. It will be nice to follow along with everyone as registration nears and possibly join some of you in November.

I'm curious if anyone that ran W&D in 2015 can post the event guide that is mentioned so I can figure out how to plan for this in case I do manage to register? I've never ran a runDisney race, so I'm like a planning newbie again as far as when to get my guests their post-race party tix, when to book our resort, when to arrive so that we don't miss out on the cool race merchandise etc!!!!

Happy Pavement Pounding everyone!!!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter