Official Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend 2019

I'm following the Jeff Galloway 10k/half challenge training program. It's going reasonably well, but I hit a big wall at 9.5 miles (week 10). I dropped back a couple of weeks, and I'm attempting 9.5 again this weekend. The real trouble now though is the unbearable heat and humidity - no matter what time I go out, even super early, I'm drenched by mile 2. I don't do well with the heat, apparently.

Anyone have any good tips for running the longer distances in the heat?

I'm following the Jeff Galloway 10k/half challenge training program. It's going reasonably well, but I hit a big wall at 9.5 miles (week 10). I dropped back a couple of weeks, and I'm attempting 9.5 again this weekend. The real trouble now though is the unbearable heat and humidity - no matter what time I go out, even super early, I'm drenched by mile 2. I don't do well with the heat, apparently.

Anyone have any good tips for running the longer distances in the heat?

I don't do well with heat either, but thick humidity makes it even worse in the Georgia summer. I don't know where you are running, but my tips are

1) As you said you do, start early. The humidity may be higher, but the temp is lower (about 76*+/- here at dawn). I can get out with a glow in the sky about 5:30-5:45 without using a headlamp.
2) Find a place where you can run that is mostly shaded. The direct sun is awful when temps get high.
3) Take deep breaths. I find that I can't always get enough oxygen in high heat/humidity, and my muscles (and willpower) start giving out earlier, so I just remind myself to take a few deep breaths to get more oxygen into my system.
4) You know this one: hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. I find that even on a 6-mile run in the heat, my body does better with not only water, but a little sports drink. I carry a hand-held water bottle and fill it up with ice and then pour Gatorade in until the bottle is full. As the ice melts, it waters down the sweetness of the Gatorade, and gives me just enough electrolytes to keep the water from becoming sloshy in my stomach.
5) Run a loop sometimes so that you can re-fill your liquid, use a towel, douse your head with water, run through a sprinkler, etc. Some on the boards actually run awhile, then jump in a pool and do some pool running. (@PrincessV) I don't have this option, though.
6) Don't beat yourself up if your body says, "I've had enough." Cutting a run short is much better than heat exhaustion!
7) When all else fails, I have a treadmill in my basement that I can use for shorter runs with a big ol' fan pointed right at my body!!!

You can try different things and see what works best for you. I am no expert by any means, but these are some things that work for me. Good luck with your training and see you at W&D!

I am stressing about finding affordable flights that get in and leave when I want them to.

That is all. I just needed to say this to a group of people who understand.
Of course the days before or after I need to fly are cheaper. I feel your pain.

I am stressing about finding affordable flights that get in and leave when I want them to.

That is all. I just needed to say this to a group of people who understand.

I booked when Southwest had their $59 sale. They weren't that cheap but not crazy expensive either. We are flying out at 6:30 AM but I guess that will just prepare me for the 2:30 AM wake ups the next two mornings.

I booked when Southwest had their $59 sale. They weren't that cheap but not crazy expensive either. We are flying out at 6:30 AM but I guess that will just prepare me for the 2:30 AM wake ups the next two mornings.
I *should* have booked when SW was having their sale a few months ago because the flights were at their cheapest then, but the only flight they have that I want gets us in at 1:30am and like, what are we supposed to do then. If we leave at an early morning AM flight from Vegas we lose basically a whole morning and afternoon traveling, so I am always looking for a red eye. #TheStruggle

I *should* have booked when SW was having their sale a few months ago because the flights were at their cheapest then, but the only flight they have that I want gets us in at 1:30am and like, what are we supposed to do then. If we leave at an early morning AM flight from Vegas we lose basically a whole morning and afternoon traveling, so I am always looking for a red eye. #TheStruggle

Thankfully we only have a 20ish minute drive to the airport so that 6:30 flight should get us to Orlando and in a park by noon. It is a hassle when you have to drive hours to the airport.

Do you live near Vegas? My husband and I lived there for 1.5 years when we first got married. We loved it!

My wife and I are looking forward to W&D again this year... we had a lot of fun (even during the downpour at the after party!). Last year was also our last vacation before the arrival of our daughter, and this will be our first weekend where she stays at her grandparents. 😀

Already lining up her first trip... coordinated with Marathon weekend in 2021 and (hopefully) our first stay at the Polynesian (as long as our DVC resale goes through).

I just about made a big mistake by not entering my POT when I originally registered for this race, so as a friendly reminder you have until 7/30/2019 to enter it. I'm glad I checked because that would have been fun to deal with at the expo. I'm sure this has been mentioned 900 times previously, but I have a tendency to forget important things like that. 🤪

I'm registered for the challenge, and just went in to try to buy tickets for the post-race party for my family, but the link is broken. It just goes to an error page. Does this mean it's sold out?

I'm registered for the challenge, and just went in to try to buy tickets for the post-race party for my family, but the link is broken. It just goes to an error page. Does this mean it's sold out?
Looks like the link is broken versus sold out. I would send them an email or call.

I'm not sure if this has already been noted on this thread, but if you're registered for W&D, and you log into your runDisney account, the "Buy Products" tab now has photos of all the merchandise for the W&D events - like the pins and magnets and the jacket, etc. Also true for Marathon Weeekend merch. No photos of the medals yet, though!

I am so happy the mileage magnets are the classic Mickey-head shape and actually look like running MILEAGE magnets!! Last year's Princess and Star Wars race magnets were terrible ... non-mickey shaped, w/ barely visible mileage. Glad they have returned to form with this race.

I am so happy the mileage magnets are the classic Mickey-head shape and actually look like running MILEAGE magnets!! Last year's Princess and Star Wars race magnets were terrible ... non-mickey shaped, w/ barely visible mileage. Glad they have returned to form with this race.

I couldn't agree more! The castles from Princess last year look so odd and out of place compared to the rest of the magnets I have up. I'm so glad they went back to Mickey for the coming year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!