Official Wine & Dine 2014

Thought I should post in (been meaning too just been busy with school and travel to CA for Avengers!).

Race went surprisingly well considering I missed a month of regular training (well I crossed training but that's not the point) with my hip issues. Hip held out great until we hit DHS. Then both started bothering me in some form. One was more of a cramp, the other was the pain I've come to associate with this problem.

But I finished! Was it slow as heck for me (3:31) because of the issues? YEP. But I managed to finish.

I have more hope for Avengers. Mainly because a) no rain and b) went to a Galloway meeting yesterday where I was shown a slightly different running gait that jars my hip less. So I'm thinking I might be able to get back to my old pace -fingers crossed- if I use it. Taking for a test run tonight with some friends.

No blisters for me. Just really wet when I was done even with me wearing my jacket the entire distance (admittedly not entirely zipped up, I decided to throw it on during the walk to the start. Hard to zip when walking). Main problem was I started out great eating my GU then I forgot to keep at it after a while. Need to really keep at that with my longer races and runs.

ETA: Something my Mom overheard someone say at the airport when we were flying out. Apparently she heard a lady in the airport say 'Real runners don't wear their medals.'

Not sure what her issue was.:confused3 Would love to have had a chance to actually talk to her and tell her this was my 17th half and been running for going on four years now and I wear my medals after every race.

Thought I should post in (been meaning too just been busy with school and travel to CA for Avengers!).

Race went surprisingly well considering I missed a month of regular training (well I crossed training but that's not the point) with my hip issues. Hip held out great until we hit DHS. Then both started bothering me in some form. One was more of a cramp, the other was the pain I've come to associate with this problem.

But I finished! Was it slow as heck for me (3:31) because of the issues? YEP. But I managed to finish.

I have more hope for Avengers. Mainly because a) no rain and b) went to a Galloway meeting yesterday where I was shown a slightly different running gait that jars my hip less. So I'm thinking I might be able to get back to my old pace -fingers crossed- if I use it. Taking for a test run tonight with some friends.

No blisters for me. Just really wet when I was done even with me wearing my jacket the entire distance (admittedly not entirely zipped up, I decided to throw it on during the walk to the start. Hard to zip when walking). Main problem was I started out great eating my GU then I forgot to keep at it after a while. Need to really keep at that with my longer races and runs.

ETA: Something my Mom overheard someone say at the airport when we were flying out. Apparently she heard a lady in the airport say 'Real runners don't wear their medals.'

Not sure what her issue was.:confused3 Would love to have had a chance to actually talk to her and tell her this was my 17th half and been running for going on four years now and I wear my medals after every race.

GREAT JOB! Congrats on the finish and I hope Avengers goes better!

Maybe I'm not a real runner either. . . but I loved wearing my medal in the parks on Sunday!

The real runner/ medal comment was interesting. Best part of being in Disney for a race is wearing the medal the next day and congratulating fellow runners. And I LOVE when getting a picture with medal and a character, Mickey/Goody/Minnie/etc all make a huge deal about it. That makes it worth the entry fee alone :) I even wore it in a book signing the next day and the authors/chefs made a big deal and asked a lots of questions, one is considering running next time!

Apparently she heard a lady in the airport say 'Real runners don't wear their medals.'

Bizarre.

Pretty sure many of the Olympic athletes wear their medals around. Heck, they take them on talk shows for months after their events. Are they not real athletes?

And I LOVE when getting a picture with medal and a character, Mickey/Goody/Minnie/etc all make a huge deal about it. That makes it worth the entry fee alone :)

:( I wore my 2013 TOT medal to DHS the day after that run to specifically meet Wreck It Ralph and Vanellope, hoping they would make a deal about the medal (the storyline), and nothing! I'm not a character person at all, and waited for 40ish minutes for this moment. Denied. Sigh.

[QUOTE="bumbershoot;52623561"
Originally Posted by StarGirl11
Apparently she heard a lady in the airport say 'Real runners don't wear their medals.'
] Bizarre. Pretty sure many of the Olympic athletes wear their medals around. Heck, they take them on talk shows for months after their events. Are they not real athletes? :( Sigh.[/QUOTE] That's dumb to say real runners don't wear their medals. I am proud to wear my medal and I was in the top 300 something finishers. Only reason I took it off Sunday was chaffing on the neck. My DH is more modest and doesn't like the attention as much - but our DS was happy to wear it for him and tell folks it was Dad's.

Can you tell me more about the taping? I'm guessing PF is plantar fascitis? I run with that too - did the tape help?

Congrats on your run and thanks for a good write up!

Yup, plantar faciiatis. The tape did help on the Friday and Saturday while walking around but it just didn't hold up in the rain and started peeling off. I'm sure it lost all its benefits without being tight around the ankle. On Monday, I picked up a Feetures PF foot sleeve from the running store in DTD and wow! What a difference. It is so much more supportive than the tape, in my opinion. Also, the tape gave me a rash so either I am allergic to the adhesive or the rain combined with my socks caused irritation.

The photo of my DH and I in front of Cinderella Castle wearing our medals, is one of my favourite photos of us of all time! We didn't wear them around the park, only because we were nervous they would break, after hearing about the trouble others were having. I guess I'm not a real runner ;)

And if someone's saying "I gotta walk", they aren't doing Galloway, right? They would say "it's time to walk", or something like that. Not indicating that they *have to*. "I gotta walk" indicates being tired.
"Gotta walk!" is exactly what I say if I'm running with someone and in charge of keeping track of our walk breaks - from the very first one to the last! Can't make assumptions. ;)

I am from a hot place, and I was cold in the corral waiting for the 5K at 6 a.m. - I can't imagine running in the cold rain and being soaked to the skin for hours!
I swear - all that running really does keep you warm, mostly! I live less than 2 hours west of WDW, so totally a hot weather runner, and was still totally acclimated to summer running for W&D, so I was concerned... I was comfortable the entire 13.1 in a short sleeve tee and capris. I froze after I stopped running, but was fine during the race. :thumbsup2

Loved reading everyone's thoughts on the Food and Wine half! Man that was a tough race. Last year, I kicked myself for not stopping for all photos so I told myself this year I was going for gold. I thought I stopped for all character meet and greets and photo ops - until I had to look through the unidentified photos for some of my images. Apparently I missed Flik at Animal Kingdom. Where was he located? Hopefully I will be able to catch him next year. I also missed the photo op at the Sorcerer's Apprentice hat and the Christmas Tree at the Obsbourne Family lights. Darth Vader also went inside by the time I passed by Star Tours.

I'm going to start off saying I know this is a shot in the dark-
I was the dork dressed up like Rapunzel with the owing hair. In all the excitement if the night I never got a picture of my costume for myself. I know a couple of period asked for a picture of the the costume. Are any of them DISers that are willing to share?:goodvibes

pxefig, you looked stunning! I was so in awe of costume and how awesome it was!

Loved reading everyone's thoughts on the Food and Wine half! Man that was a tough race. Last year, I kicked myself for not stopping for all photos so I told myself this year I was going for gold. I thought I stopped for all character meet and greets and photo ops - until I had to look through the unidentified photos for some of my images. Apparently I missed Flik at Animal Kingdom. Where was he located? Hopefully I will be able to catch him next year. I also missed the photo op at the Sorcerer's Apprentice hat and the Christmas Tree at the Obsbourne Family lights. Darth Vader also went inside by the time I passed by Star Tours.

Is Flik a bug? Saw him very close the main entrance by some restrooms.

Darth was out?! By the time I got to Tatooine it was Bobba Fett. I did stop for him (my only stop) because my son-in-law is a BF fan.

Is Flik a bug? Saw him very close the main entrance by some restrooms. Darth was out?! By the time I got to Tatooine it was Bobba Fett. I did stop for him (my only stop) because my son-in-law is a BF fan.

Interesting when I went by both of them were out together (didn't stop because I didn't feel like it). But don't remember seeing Filk. Might have just been the timing when we were passing through.

"Gotta walk!" is exactly what I say if I'm running with someone and in charge of keeping track of our walk breaks - from the very first one to the last! Can't make assumptions. ;)

But people will make assumptions (or conclusions based on their own experiences and the circumstances of the situation). You cannot control that. And now you know that when you say that, especially if you're not getting over to the right etc etc (I doubt you would do it wrong, of course), there might very well be people thinking thoughts about it.

Worst combo of events I saw on Saturday was hearing the loud beepbeep of a Galloway timer and having three people stop dead in front of me.

The stoppers were NOT the ones with the beeper (even my silly ears could tell that the beeper was coming from another group) but if someone had been further away they could have linked the two. And then forevermore thought that that beep meant that people were about to stop suddenly. And the beepers cannot control that expectation. It's all based on what we've seen.

What a fantastic idea! The W&D was my first run greater than a 10k (and I happily crossed the finish line, might I add!!) but if I ever do another half I'm definitely going to do this! It really was so hard trying to hang onto everything and stay snuggled up in the blanket.

I did this for my last two Disney races, having a plastic supermarket bag in my fitness belt... Believe me it helps.

I haven't seen a list of characters from the races, so for posterity here are the characters I saw.

Jingle Jungle 5k:

• Mickey and Minnie (in green explorer clothes) before the start
    Santa Goofy
    Rafiki and Timon
    King Louie and Baloo (in their parade outfits)
    Chip and Dale (hats and scarves)
    Donald Duck (snowflake outfit)
    Pluto (Christmas hat and collar)
Overall it was a bit disappointing as there were no rare characters there; just the outfits from the parade.

Wine and Dine Half Marathon:

• Chef Mickey (before race)
    Chef Minnie (before race)
    Chef Goofy (before race)
    Chef Chip and Dale (before race)
    Country Bears (Shaker, Liver Lips, Big Al, Wendell)
    Main Street Electrical Parade Fairies
    Main Street Electrical Parade Turtle and Bee (floats)
    Rafiki
    Flik
    Timon
    King Louie
    Pluto
    Jack Sparrow and Barbossa
    Festival of the Lion King dancers
    Green Army Man
    Lilo and Stitch
    Mr. and Mrs. Incredible
    Darth Vader and Boba Fett
The Fantasia characters did not come out (although their location was there) due to the rain. None of the characters are unusual but Remy and Emile were greeting in France during the party after the run so that was a plus.

Characters do take breaks so there may have been others but these are the characters that I saw.

Already looking at next year's event and I'm wondering for those who have stayed at the BC/BW hotel. Assuming neither one of these are a host hotels next year. Couldn't I just use my after party pass wristband to go through Epcot and get a bus to the wwos? Or would I have to use one of the hotel buses and make several stops just to get to wwos?

Already looking at next year's event and I'm wondering for those who have stayed at the BC/BW hotel. Assuming neither one of these are a host hotels next year. Couldn't I just use my after party pass wristband to go through Epcot and get a bus to the wwos? Or would I have to use one of the hotel buses and make several stops just to get to wwos?

BC/BW are always hosts for the Epcot area events.

Can't you just walk through Epcot, to the International Gate, then walk to BC/BW? Or, is the walkway to the International Gate closed?

EDIT: Duh, I guess you're talking about getting to the starting line! Sorry.

However, I am curious about access to the IG once one finishes the run. Being able to walk to my room after the run would be a plus. Also, can you reenter Epcot through the IG, after the run?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter