Official Wine & Dine 2014

walkdmc said:
Can't you just walk through Epcot, to the International Gate, then walk to BC/BW? Or, is the walkway to the International Gate closed?

EDIT: Duh, I guess you're talking about getting to the starting line! Sorry.

However, I am curious about access to the IG once one finishes the run. Being able to walk to my room after the run would be a plus. Also, can you reenter Epcot through the IG, after the run?

IG was open all night. We left out the IG at 3:30am after the run

We stayed at Yacht Club. Finished the race and walked back through EPCOT, out the IG and to the room to take a hot shower and change into warm clothes and rain gear. Then back through the IG to the party. It was wonderful!

Ugh had my Wine and Dine medal with me for photo ops around Disneyland since I got my coast to coast this morning and the darn thing broke. I'm not the only one either as at least 3 other people I know have broken medal and are awaiting new ones.

We read on thread on Facebook to put super glue on the bottom the medal where the pin is located and that should keep it in place. At least worth a try when you get the new one.

Is Flik a bug? Saw him very close the main entrance by some restrooms.

Darth was out?! By the time I got to Tatooine it was Bobba Fett. I did stop for him (my only stop) because my son-in-law is a BF fan.

Thanks for letting me know about Flik. I was bummed to miss Darth Vader. Darth was there last year and I skipped the line because it was huge. I told myself I would meet him this year. Apparently it's not meant to be!

Interesting when I went by both of them were out together (didn't stop because I didn't feel like it). But don't remember seeing Filk. Might have just been the timing when we were passing through.

Thanks StarGirl11! Timing is everything. I waited for Jack Sparrow and he decided to go on a break right as a made it to the front. It killed me.

I haven't seen a list of characters from the races, so for posterity here are the characters I saw.

Jingle Jungle 5k:

• Mickey and Minnie (in green explorer clothes) before the start
    Santa Goofy
    Rafiki and Timon
    King Louie and Baloo (in their parade outfits)
    Chip and Dale (hats and scarves)
    Donald Duck (snowflake outfit)
    Pluto (Christmas hat and collar)
Overall it was a bit disappointing as there were no rare characters there; just the outfits from the parade.

Wine and Dine Half Marathon:

• Chef Mickey (before race)
    Chef Minnie (before race)
    Chef Goofy (before race)
    Chef Chip and Dale (before race)
    Country Bears (Shaker, Liver Lips, Big Al, Wendell)
    Main Street Electrical Parade Fairies
    Main Street Electrical Parade Turtle and Bee (floats)
    Rafiki
    Flik
    Timon
    King Louie
    Pluto
    Jack Sparrow and Barbossa
    Festival of the Lion King dancers
    Green Army Man
    Lilo and Stitch
    Mr. and Mrs. Incredible
    Darth Vader and Boba Fett
The Fantasia characters did not come out (although their location was there) due to the rain. None of the characters are unusual but Remy and Emile were greeting in France during the party after the run so that was a plus.

Characters do take breaks so there may have been others but these are the characters that I saw.

Thank you so much for compiling this list! You are awesome. I also met Woody and Buzz near the Toy Story Mania ride. I wish they would change up the characters each year. It would make things more exciting.

I've never made it to the after party. Do the characters usually there after 2am?

ChipandDaleFan16 said:
Thank you so much for compiling this list! You are awesome. I also met Woody and Buzz near the Toy Story Mania ride. I wish they would change up the characters each year. It would make things more exciting.

I've never made it to the after party. Do the characters usually there after 2am?

We saw Bert and Mary Poppins around 245/3ish in UK, and Emile and Remy in France around 3/315ish. Times aren't exact, but it was well after 2am

Can you tell me more about the taping? I'm guessing PF is plantar fascitis? I run with that too - did the tape help?

Congrats on your run and thanks for a good write up!

I'm also curious to know more about the taping. I presume it is done at the expo. Is there a charge? KT makes different kinds of tape, some of which claim to do better in wet conditions. Do you know if they use the KT Pro line of tape?
It would be interesting to see how much better they are at applying it than DW and I are. Half the time, I can't contort myself into the best position to apply it.

I'm also curious to know more about the taping. I presume it is done at the expo. Is there a charge? KT makes different kinds of tape, some of which claim to do better in wet conditions. Do you know if they use the KT Pro line of tape? It would be interesting to see how much better they are at applying it than DW and I are. Half the time, I can't contort myself into the best position to apply it.

It is free but lines can be super long. They are professionals so will be much better than the average joe.

The photo of my DH and I in front of Cinderella Castle wearing our medals, is one of my favourite photos of us of all time! We didn't wear them around the park, only because we were nervous they would break, after hearing about the trouble others were having. I guess I'm not a real runner ;)

Mine did break and the guest services desk replaced it! No questions. Now I am super careful. I was so sad...

You're welcome; I'm glad it was useful. There are characters at the after party in World Showcase (none in Future World- Character Spot is closed). These are in pre-defined locations listed in the after party pamphlet. I don't have it with me, but other than Remy/Emile in France and Tiana/Naveen/Louis in America none were unusual. The rain made it miserable so I didn't make it past the Brazil stand myself.

BTW there were four rides set to be open: Test Track, Soarin', Gran Fiesta, and Spaceship Earth but Test Track was closed due to the rain.

Nulles said:
You're welcome; I'm glad it was useful. There are characters at the after party in World Showcase (none in Future World- Character Spot is closed). These are in pre-defined locations listed in the after party pamphlet. I don't have it with me, but other than Remy/Emile in France and Tiana/Naveen/Louis in America none were unusual. The rain made it miserable so I didn't make it past the Brazil stand myself.

BTW there were four rides set to be open: Test Track, Soarin', Gran Fiesta, and Spaceship Earth but Test Track was closed due to the rain.

TT was open from park close at 9 until about 10:30 before it closed because of the weather. My friend and I rode it 5x back to back between 930 and 1040, actually getting stuck on the ride right before you go outside for the 60 mph part on our last ride. They'd stopped for lightning, according to the people who were in front of us who had gotten stuck on the outside portion. They closed the ride completely after that.

I used Belaga socks, no body glide or vaseline and no blisters. I think it's in the socks. This is the first time I've read about runners using vaseline on their feet, thanks for the tip. I actually just ordered 6 more pairs of the same Balegas I wore for the race.

Could you share which Balegas you use? :)

Could you share which Balegas you use? :)

I'm not the person you asked either but I'm wearing some Balegas that are embarassingly old - they don't have them on their website anymore. But they have seen me through a full marathon, a mud run, several halves, numerous long training runs and Disney's first ever Splash N Dash Half. They show no signs of wearing out, have no holes, and are, quite frankly, in better shape than my knees.

They are closest to Style 8527.

Warning about Balegas: they're so comfortable you won't want to run in anything else but they are not cheap.

Does anyone know how to see how many folks were swept from the course? From mile 9 on I saw the buses getting ready to pick up people (and I'm pretty sure I heard a loud groan just as I passed on and when I looked behind me there were no runners to be seen). I even met the balloon ladies (who were really sweet and encouraging to everyone around them) around mile 10 and stuck with them all the way until we were "safe" under the bridge before the boardwalk.

I wonder if more people were swept than usual because of the conditions/the didn't want people to get injured from slick roads especially if they were tired at that point in the race).

Does anyone know how to see how many folks were swept from the course? From mile 9 on I saw the buses getting ready to pick up people (and I'm pretty sure I heard a loud groan just as I passed on and when I looked behind me there were no runners to be seen). I even met the balloon ladies (who were really sweet and encouraging to everyone around them) around mile 10 and stuck with them all the way until we were "safe" under the bridge before the boardwalk.

I wonder if more people were swept than usual because of the conditions/the didn't want people to get injured from slick roads especially if they were tired at that point in the race).
No clue...

There were 11941 finishers + 124 female Military + 203 male Military...so 12268 finishers (per the official results).

There were 14650 bibs in the corral listing.

So it seems that would mean there were 2382 runners that did not finish...either because they were swept or they did not start the race. :confused3

Maybe???!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!