Official Wine & Dine 2018

For those that have used the Galloway pacers. I see the pace chart above that shows overall pace and the run/walk split time, but is there a breakdown of what the run pace is during the run phase?

I’ve never seen a straight answer. I ran with the pacers in 2017 and they couldn’t even answer my question at the expo or in the corral. The canned response is whatever combination in order to meet the goal per mile.

It is gradually dawning on me that I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm signed up for the 10k, and it will be my first time. I've done 5ks in the past but just small charity events where there are no corrals etc. This seems much more complicated than I thought. I am hoping that when I show up at the Expo on Friday and get my bib, it will have the information about corrals and whatever else I need. I printed my waiver and am staying at the Poly, so I was just planning to walk over to the start area. I'm afraid this will be completely overwhelming.

Laurie

For those that have used the Galloway pacers. I see the pace chart above that shows overall pace and the run/walk split time, but is there a breakdown of what the run pace is during the run phase?

I guess it would obviously depend on the walking pace right? Here’s a calculator though that will give you an idea depending on the walk pace you fill in. Use the top part.

I put in a walk time of 10:00 minutes/mile and it gave a running pace of 7:49/mile. No idea if that’s close to a good walk pace though.

http://www.coachdino.org/runwalk.htm

It is gradually dawning on me that I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm signed up for the 10k, and it will be my first time. I've done 5ks in the past but just small charity events where there are no corrals etc. This seems much more complicated than I thought. I am hoping that when I show up at the Expo on Friday and get my bib, it will have the information about corrals and whatever else I need. I printed my waiver and am staying at the Poly, so I was just planning to walk over to the start area. I'm afraid this will be completely overwhelming.

Laurie

You’ll be fine. Staying at the Poly will take out the transportation issue for you. Just ID some fellow runners and follow them. And once you’re at the start area there will be plenty of volunteers and runDisney folks to get you where you need to go. Your bib have your corral on it. It all seems like there is a lot going on but when in doubt just a grab another runner and ask them. Don’t stress and have s great 10k. Another feel free to ask any questions here after the expo. :)

Laurie

Your bib will have a letter on it and that will be your corral. Find that letter morning of and you're ready to go. There will be a ton of people, runners and volunteers, if you need help finding anything.

I've seen others say you can walk from the Poly to the start. Follow people when in doubt is sort of my motto. It can be overwhelming, but it's also a lot of fun.

Laurie
Hi Laurie!

Yes, Disney races are definitely some of the biggest races around and it can be confusing.

The best advice I can give is to read the event guide emailed out by runDisney and plan on being to the start area early. If you are worried about pace at all, try to get to the front of your corral.

Oh....and have fun!

Your bib will have a letter on it and that will be your corral. Find that letter morning of and you're ready to go. There will be a ton of people, runners and volunteers, if you need help finding anything.

I've seen others say you can walk from the Poly to the start. Follow people when in doubt is sort of my motto. It can be overwhelming, but it's also a lot of fun.

Get out of my head. ;) :)

Laurie
Try not to stress! It will be big and a bit overwhelming, but things are well-marked, rD has a ton of support staff and volunteers to help, and all you really need to do is get your bib and get to the start area. If you haven't yet, be sure to go through the Race Guide, as it contains detailed information on the expo and race start/finish areas.

Speaking of the Race Guide and detailed info... anyone else notice something missing? No details on race bus hours. No times listed for how long they run, when they start, when you have to be parked and on a bus at EP if driving. Oops. I emailed rD and will share if I get an answer.

Speaking of the Race Guide and detailed info... anyone else notice something missing? No details on race bus hours. No times listed for how long they run, when they start, when you have to be parked and on a bus at EP if driving. Oops. I emailed rD and will share if I get an answer.

Yeah the only reference I saw was to check the boards in the resort lobby. Seemed like a very generic direction

As @Bree mentioned, I asked at the expo last year and also did not get a direct answer. But you can calculate it knowing the average pace and the run/walk ratio, although you have to guess at the walk pace. I ran with the 2:45 pacers for a while at last year's half. They walked at a brisk pace, perhaps between 15:00 and 16:00 minutes/mile.

For the 2:30 pacers, if the ratio of running to walking is 2:1 (2 thirds running, 1 third walking) and the overall pace is 11:26, then you can solve for run pace (RP) using fractions of minutes with .667RP + .333(15.0) = 11.433. RP is 9.64 minutes or 9:39 minutes and seconds. A 16:00 m/m walk pace would drive the running pace down to 9:09.

For the 2:45 pacers who do a 1:1 ratio, the RP is: .5RP + .5(15.0) = 12.583. RP is 10.166 minutes or 10:10 minutes and seconds. A 16:00 m/m walk pace would drive the running pace down to 9:10.

So at a 16:00 walk pace, both the 2:30 and 2:45 pace groups run at the same speed; the slower group just takes longer walks. Frankly, I did not perceive that I was running at that fast a pace, but the math insists on it.

The pacers were terrific; one did the pacing, and the other kept a careful eye on her gps watch. We seemed to make slight adjustments (slightly longer run for example) to keep on pace. Hope this helps.

Edit: just noticed that @croach links to an automated calculation a few posts up. There's no way I can walk 10 minute miles however.

I’ve never seen a straight answer. I ran with the pacers in 2017 and they couldn’t even answer my question at the expo or in the corral. The canned response is whatever combination in order to meet the goal per mile.

I'd guess they're 15-45 seconds per mile faster than the pace needed to hit their time goal. For the 2-hour finish, they're probably running at 8:30-8:45 and walking at 12-1230.

I guess it would obviously depend on the walking pace right? Here’s a calculator though that will give you an idea depending on the walk pace you fill in. Use the top part.

I put in a walk time of 10:00 minutes/mile and it gave a running pace of 7:49/mile. No idea if that’s close to a good walk pace though.

http://www.coachdino.org/runwalk.htm

That's a damn fast walk. I'd assume a walk speed of 12-14 min/mile for the faster groups and 14-15 for the slower runs.

Laurie

Your bib will be marked with a letter on it. That is your corral. They eventually start shutting down the entertainment and direct people to the corrals although you can head to them earlier if you really want to be towards the front - just follow the other runners and head into the corral your assigned - there are big round lit up post markers that you’ll be able to easily see. The corrals with lots of people are sent off in waves. What happens is the corral begins it’s race and those in the front are sent off and everyone starts moving forward to head out.....and then a rope is run across by some volunteers to hold the remainder of the corral back. You wait until they bring it down and start moving again. If the corral is large this will happen several times and allows the runners from a corral to be spread out. Kind of a cheap way to segment more without creating lots and lots of corrals.

Most of the recent discussion is just about the size but it’s really not that complicated.

Pacers and walking... my experience has been WIDELY varied, depending on who's doing the pacing. I've never intentionally run with a pace group, but I've gotten "stuck" in them many times. I've been in ones pacing a 2:45 half that ran faster than I do, but walked quite a bit slower than I, and in a 3:30 group that walked WAY faster than I'm able to, but ran quite a bit slower than I.

Edit: just noticed that @croach links to an automated calculation a few posts up. There's no way I can walk 10 minute miles however.

That's a damn fast walk. I'd assume a walk speed of 12-14 min/mile for the faster groups and 14-15 for the slower runs.

Yes, that made me giggle too. :rotfl2: We love you @croach! :grouphug:

Originally I had 12:00 in the calculation I think, but clearly I had no idea what I was doing. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!