Official Wine & Dine 2018

So what's it like getting to the race if you're staying offsite? (Kicking myself for not booking a room right away.) I'm staying at a Disney Springs hotel and will have a rental car, so I won't be far. I see that we're expected to park at Epcot and will get transportation to TTC. I've read that some people get there super early, so as to not get caught in traffic. I'm not opposed to that, and getting a few extra minutes of rest in the car before heading out to the start line. And then what's traffic like leaving TTC after the race? Would it be better to just get an uber back to our hotel and come back for the car later? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

So what's it like getting to the race if you're staying offsite? (Kicking myself for not booking a room right away.) I'm staying at a Disney Springs hotel and will have a rental car, so I won't be far. I see that we're expected to park at Epcot and will get transportation to TTC. I've read that some people get there super early, so as to not get caught in traffic. I'm not opposed to that, and getting a few extra minutes of rest in the car before heading out to the start line. And then what's traffic like leaving TTC after the race? Would it be better to just get an uber back to our hotel and come back for the car later? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

So ... in April for the Star Wars races, they had signs for busses to the Disney Springs Resort Hotels - which was the first time I've ever seen that.

That said - if you drive, you park at Epcot and take a bus to the TTC. But you finish at the Epcot parking lot, so you won't have to go back to get your car. There is no option to park at the TTC the morning of the race.

I always drive to the races from offsite and it's ridiculously easy. I hate the stress of running late, so I try to be at EP 15 minutes of when buses start running - so if the buses from EP to the start begin at 3am, I like to be at EP by 3:15am. But I usually wind up running late anyway, and get there about 3:25 - that's still fine: no traffic getting to EP, exit car, walk a little, hop right on a bus. The race finishes at EP, which is where your car will still be, so you just walk to your car from the finish. I've never hit traffic backups exiting EP.

Not as easy as driving, but you can always walk to Saratoga Springs and catch the rD bus that morning too.

Afterwards, you can repeat and relax at Disney Springs or meander back to your hotel.

I missed most of the corrals discussion, but did want to add my two cents. DW was in the F corral at SWDS (similar ratios, except for a much larger H), and she said it went fine. There are 5000 fewer runners for W&D, so while it will be crowded, it should be pretty smooth.

Also, there is no cone alley. On this course, we get the whole road from the start to Animal Kingdom. For those who haven't seen it, cone alley is the section from MK back to World Drive for Princess and WDW halfs. You get one lane, and in the later corrals, you are at the mercy of the crowd's pace.

For those that have used the Galloway pacers. I see the pace chart above that shows overall pace and the run/walk split time, but is there a breakdown of what the run pace is during the run phase?

On the surface, it doesn't seem this should be so difficult to define. But when I thought about it, I remembered that pacers are faster than their assigned times, and chances are they don't run intervals when they race. So they are probably using their last couple weeks still figuring out how they'll budget the pacing. The funny thing is, Jeff Galloway advises a more leisurely walk for the breaks, but I always see pretty brisk walking from the pacing groups.

It is gradually dawning on me that I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm signed up for the 10k, and it will be my first time. I've done 5ks in the past but just small charity events where there are no corrals etc. This seems much more complicated than I thought. I am hoping that when I show up at the Expo on Friday and get my bib, it will have the information about corrals and whatever else I need. I printed my waiver and am staying at the Poly, so I was just planning to walk over to the start area. I'm afraid this will be completely overwhelming.

You'll be fine!! You're at Poly, so you've got the easiest commute. Give yourself plenty of time as it does take a while just to get through the staging area. There might be long lines for portajohns. Extra time will take the stress off and let you take it all in. The first one is a bit overwhelming, but a ton of fun and the time flies!

Speaking of the Race Guide and detailed info... anyone else notice something missing? No details on race bus hours. No times listed for how long they run, when they start, when you have to be parked and on a bus at EP if driving. Oops. I emailed rD and will share if I get an answer.
I did, I did! I even asked/mentioned missing info regarding how spectators can for sure get from start to finish during half.

Does anyone need a ticket to the post race party? I’m heading back to the west coast after the race and won’t be using my ticket.

I'm in Corral D, my wife's in Corral E, I guess the thing to do to make sure I'm still married after the race is to join her in E? :)

I'm with rteetz - 80s is too hot for me. Bring on marathon weekend weather (at least once I start running! 80s is fine for corral standing around!).

Does anyone need a ticket to the post race party? I’m heading back to the west coast after the race and won’t be using my ticket.
I just tried to PM, but realized you don't have enough posts and the system won't let me do it. Maybe we can meet up at WDW some place if you still have it? Just let me know :)

I would love it if you aren’t using it! I’ll PM!

You can have it for free. I'll do my best to get to 10 posts so I can PM you my phone number. I'm planning on driving up Friday morning and going to the expo that day but I'll be around all weekend.

I did, I did! I even asked/mentioned missing info regarding how spectators can for sure get from start to finish during half.
I first noticed while trying to decide if it's possible for me to spectate the 10K - great minds and all!

I didn’t even notice there was missing info in the event guide.
I wouldn't have noticed until the last minute had I not been trying to plan some spectating. It's a weird omission!

Roughly 2 weeks out means we can start looking at weather right?
Absolutely! As a Floridian, I don't trust it, of course, but you can bet I'm watching. ;) BTW, we are day 5 of near or new record highs down here. It's insane: we had 24 hours of cooler weather Sat., then Feels Likes near or over 100 every day since. 50-something could be a legitimate shock to my system!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter