Oh it's a Jolly Holiday with Masseys, a Pre Trip Report

9 month olds are so much easier than toddlers. They don't talk back yet and they aren't mobile!

It's a good thing we'll have so many adults to chase him around.

Hey, if you're freeloading, they get to use your credits, right? :rolleyes1

She isn't really freeloading. She is paying for her tickets and her reduced meal plan. We're footing the bill for the extra meals and the extra park days, so yes I plan to use those extra meals.

I actually got 2 out of the 3 without cheating! I couldn't quite get Moana though.

I'm going to have to work on my Moana. Right now it's just a back up outfit.

Because that's what you do! Actually, ADR's seem to be fairly easy to make changes... I mean I had to change some to add people on the day we left on our trip and was able to find availability that I needed. Now Fp's on the other hand... make sure you have a multi-pronged plan of attack in place that morning.

Hopefully we all 3 get to attack this.

We had Coco playing on a phone on the table for the last half of several meals. You do what you gotta do.

We plan on using every trick we can.

AK has some awesome CS! And I came across this reservation system at one of the less awesome ones, Pizzafari. It really doesn't impact much. Maybe decreases capacity since they use part of the restaurant for this ADR Family Style meal, but we did mobile order, walked in and grabbed food like normal and had no problem finding a place to sit, so the impact on the CS side of the restaurant was minimal.

This is good to hear. It looks like both Pizzafari & Restuarantsauros is doing some kind of reservation CS meal.

::yes:: Disney has frustrated me with some of the changes they've made recently, but this one was a home run.

Good to hear it's still working well.

You can't. Well, you could, but you might as well hand the paper to JP and let him shred it.

:rotfl:

Yikes! Too close for comfort. I'm glad you were all safe.

As a whole Louisiana came out a whole lot better than was projected.

Ok, here's my experience as of last week...

Thank you so much for sharing. For the first 4 days it will just be me, DH, Danielle & JP. My mail concern is rider swap for FPs. If the 3 of us get a FPs and one person sits out with JP can Danielle ride a second time with the person that sat out? For the most part we'll most likely send DH & Danielle through first. She's not a child anymore but it sure would be boring for the the person who sat out (me) to ride alone. Once Michelle gets here we could actually split it up with 2 people going at a time. I've even thought about just make FPs at different times in sets of 2. Stand by rider swap sound more flexible.

We obviously didn't get in on this round of discounts, but this is pretty much the same scenario that we got our discount under. We didn't park hop as much as we typically plan to and DW and I were talking about it being a waste of money. Until I remembered that we had to get park hoppers anyway for the free dining and we came out money ahead, so... :thumbsup2

My thoughts too. We don't plan on hopping a lot but it's nice to have the option. We didn't have hopping in 2017. Danielle's favorite nighttime show is Fantasmic. We had a FP for it on our second night in DHS. The first night in DHS we did the Star Wars show. Of course Fantasmic was rain out and she was inconsolable. If it gets rained out on our last night in DHS this trip I'll still have Friday night to hop over after our dinner @ Wilderness Lodge. It's nice to have options.

Thank you so much for sharing. For the first 4 days it will just be me, DH, Danielle & JP. My mail concern is rider swap for FPs. If the 3 of us get a FPs and one person sits out with JP can Danielle ride a second time with the person that sat out? For the most part we'll most likely send DH & Danielle through first. She's not a child anymore but it sure would be boring for the the person who sat out (me) to ride alone. Once Michelle gets here we could actually split it up with 2 people going at a time. I've even thought about just make FPs at different times in sets of 2. Stand by rider swap sound more flexible.
She should be able to. I've never seen anything in writing that restricts the age of who can ride twice. The reason that you can get that RS for an extra person is, in theory, so that the person waiting with the child won't have to ride alone, so I wouldn't imagine they'd give her a hard time about adding her band to the RS pass for a second ride.

Also, if you're going to make different sets of 2 FP's, keep in mind that it will lock you in to tighter windows. Yes, if you have a pain in the butt CM like we did at BTMRR, it doesn't help, but if you use FP and RS, that does give you a bigger window to work with on that second round. The way some of the FP lines were backed up on our trip, I'd be afraid to be locked into too many 1 hour windows because I'd be afraid of having to do too much clock watching.

Following along. I loved reading about your last trip.

:welcome:and thanks for sticking with us. We're all looking forward to Christmas @ Disney!

She should be able to. I've never seen anything in writing that restricts the age of who can ride twice. The reason that you can get that RS for an extra person is, in theory, so that the person waiting with the child won't have to ride alone, so I wouldn't imagine they'd give her a hard time about adding her band to the RS pass for a second ride.

So if I'm reading this right, when I ask for the RS the CM should scan both our bands?

Also, if you're going to make different sets of 2 FP's, keep in mind that it will lock you in to tighter windows. Yes, if you have a pain in the butt CM like we did at BTMRR, it doesn't help, but if you use FP and RS, that does give you a bigger window to work with on that second round. The way some of the FP lines were backed up on our trip, I'd be afraid to be locked into too many 1 hour windows because I'd be afraid of having to do too much clock watching.

That's a really good point. It's bad enough we have schedule so much and have so many time restraints.

The CM suggested trying again and maybe clearing my cookies. I logged out and logged in again and finally was able to change my reservation and complete the sale!!!!:cool1:

Now we have all kinds of new planning opened up to us. We were booked pool view and I was hoping to get in the 50s section in the Tramp building. Now I need to figure out my options for Preferred @ POP. We can now also HOP. So many options to play with.
MOM YOU DA BEST!
In other news, DH, DS14 and I are heading to Disneyland at the end of August!! Long story how it came about, but I'm in express planning mode. :cool1: DH and I have only been there once before, and this will be my son's first time. He's a huge Star Wars fan and is beyond excited. We're even staying at the Disneyland hotel, which has been a dream of mine for a long time :love:. It's been a rough summer with moving our eldest to North Carolina last week :sad: and our middle son starting college next month. I need something fun to plan.
Now that sure is something to look forward to! I'd love to go one day, but my husband has been as a kid and is like "why would we go that far to see one park when we have 4 parks so much closer." blah blah blah. I'll win him over some day on it.
Any of you out there with December trips and tickets to the MVMCP planning to do any of the add-ons to the party?
Honestly, I feel like there's so much going on at the party that I'd hate to miss something by trying to do any add-ons. Plus... THE EXPENSE! It just adds up.
Okay, so I'm responding to my own post, but the 23rd IS the Christmas fireworks - I just looked up the schedule. Man, this is a tough decision. I'm going to go back to Michelle's trip report and read her review of the dessert party again.
I recommend the dessert party FOR SURE. Especially for something as memorable as the Christmas Fireworks on Christmas Eve's Eve! It does get expensive, though. But man, that was such an experience.
I actually got 2 out of the 3 without cheating! I couldn't quite get Moana though.
Yay! We aren't THAT terrible lol
We had Coco playing on a phone on the table for the last half of several meals. You do what you gotta do.
We have a portable dvd player that may be better than the little tablet. I love the idea of having movies, and I just want to be able to have my own phone when I need it!
Disney has frustrated me with some of the changes they've made recently, but this one was a home run.
Amen.
I apologize for the run on sentences and I've probably confused you even more than you already were, but this was our experience and if you have any questions I'd be happy to try to clear some of it up. It really isn't a hard system to use, but it can be time consuming and if you have to ride back to back, you could be looking at potentially over an hour in some cases of keeping JP entertained. I noticed FP lines, in general, being much longer than in the past, so we even skipped using RS a few times if one of the adults didn't want to ride something just to save some time.
I think we are just going to have to trial by fire on this one and see what works best. I'm not worried about when I'm there. I don't mind missing rides and going to do something with JP. But it'll be a bigger deal when they're there and I'm not. We're going to have to do some ride planning in general to see who will do what. Mom doesn't do round and round, but Danielle said she would do those things with JP. It's a big cluster, really. Going to need to organize our thoughts.
She isn't really freeloading. She is paying for her tickets and her reduced meal plan. We're footing the bill for the extra meals and the extra park days, so yes I plan to use those extra meals.
Thanks, Ma! Yeah, I'm paying MY way, but that's not to say I'm paying the WHOLE way.
Following along. I loved reading about your last trip.
Hi!!!! Thank you.
The way some of the FP lines were backed up on our trip, I'd be afraid to be locked into too many 1 hour windows because I'd be afraid of having to do too much clock watching.
I don't particularly care for the fastpass system as it is. Yes, it gives us the opportunity to ride certain things, but being married to so many different times is frustrating to me. So I think we'll stick to RS on the stand-bye lines unless some magic comes our way and it all works out awesome. My toddler has given ALL the signs he is ready to potty train but i'm like NOT UNTIL AFTER DISNEY! Because Mommy doesn't like to have an hour to ride a ride for you to decide you need to poop as we are about to get on the ride. Nope.

So if I'm reading this right, when I ask for the RS the CM should scan both our bands?
Yes! You just have to notify them that you'll be waiting with JP and that Danielle will be riding twice. They'll then scan both bands and add RS to them.
I don't particularly care for the fastpass system as it is. Yes, it gives us the opportunity to ride certain things, but being married to so many different times is frustrating to me.
This is very true. Frankly, couple the FP system with ADRs 6 months out you're really structuring quite a large chunk of your time.
My toddler has given ALL the signs he is ready to potty train but i'm like NOT UNTIL AFTER DISNEY!
::yes:: We were in the same boat. Our 7 and 9 year olds were bad enough about having to go at inopportune times that I don't think we could have handled a third!

HELLO! And :welcome: to our (me and my mom @vamassey1 ) PRE TRIP REPORT!

Now, this is my very first PRE trip report, but we have just completed our first trip report together (my first one, ever) from our February 2018 trip to WDW. Blended Ohana Trip Report- Feb 2018

We've done most of the major holidays in Disney:

1- Thanksgiving

yild-Z4-RzxNQOYnjYJC-cj7nHVGfE9zhPUbrI1ObHNS4neDrz5tqihO3vnLVnYYbS-Yj4hirx8F1KHsKhbgJYFZJ2fPiZ8UxUfAEjtIflCkv_5SG693tIrU_ohsS8rUhcOjQ87f

2- New year's

fUt-p0rgQKPZ0Sv4XV32rtPrTzmBa8eeC7NOl1Q-2pbJhh_d0CljOnEcBN0k58yvN7MybGt2mPJjK89BSa2HTJR1MAqQc_8kdRnwCU-mMfwTEGxrAf56dQSUGzkqYpC4OvhqEMDE

3- Memorial Day

n9GBAzcy4O88-dzD932jU7vvby4WDVBFuLMRNJ-ZvPg25Ii3DqgLY7yXAGpPJHRWuzXj7WEBCLbpW_U0tb_d2d2pvHWno4KyZ5KNIhYoKGBZj908FYo1DcCFhpWT4obkIap4QRdJ

4- Labor Day

KGdJ5seWYeGHOUScqT8N6FxMxXOz-aEGYOYuq9NQULD6nPDksV0W8JHjHsqtL1S0vKk7I77lkBOy_NYUOAUyYnoJeo1edOUADBrVh5IgCzYlQDOXhK3d4tuS0ySF_FUnK2BLh55Z

5- Easter

PRruZLEE-3qyUcRyFe6AYmfqUqUb1w9qo1v0wk8TDAVw1IKGUxmv6PSdPQsjOrMbDSgAbFc4vuWWyfsKotBPkdhke0INxhJQMFawCK7Wp9JyqBFhKOnVBVAdzMV5j-oL-gsUcxNd

6- Valentine's Day

p5v5KE7bBY__jqDSwshhu05N5sjFJUsp2LoB-MiM3JCM3e3tywo8XeiJc_u5cqDce1UmK_gEQFgLGJx1zhmHwG3jqCyJ1NtVoa6xeONREWUfa2XAVAiEx0LucxFKhU-sltCY7Qix

and many, many Mardi Gras holidays. Yes, we are those crazy (more like FUN) Louisiana people!

rDnYSk-8QJLUyoJ5JC6KKUomMJ7AOtWmVv1owH_7-FxvAH7xFROjWDkLLlTB4pqP2jL6RoD5RVlnL5tX-kT5vzMRn0Ia2WnjtBX_-UE1cCBmolx85-flVwObyg2MVJWorV19gtt7

TKHAT0GgYpq1TGpDoQEpRaCarGLsx08xd2Ak5bHh85XTEvF2BwvF8Vsmlt-79QFTdew82Oaiektsc4-UeJEwcI6gTZx7wfGVINa75Wf_1lauoM0clQtogHKFDSTZSPqGt2dBn-m7

ruHrM64mdl_jXe2HSTUkJMmJH9guKUfdiC--I2Li9AaWKTNrsNZDa9_5zOxOWIOI_5D2t9giuJpVgjRwgtzW8K2BkPwsT-nsjLUFk3FdMfhoG2U-he4dbrsHn9ksmp89LWMDqXFl

We’ve celebrated birthdays, anniversaries, and even WEDDINGS!

uAVlWMlWndl0Vwq_SSS3f52-PdS4BGXQ90F1eReiZ5Z4YvPUxV29i4n7FUuTPwQi9q12ZUrpK90yvo_P23QmwAHQqpTU8ZI825ITgZSEhUOAVf7nuh1tmg8bjXCvwVLImM8pdZf-

zq-yYxSFtrZAc6wrty64iCJi13UuQzalPS-xktBrHLtMA2pX6zCZQBFW9wuKPmh2bQG8_CYkFCs6LQQcQfTmalFYjDB68tBmXapdFt-CnBwH-d-sQzs4qwfPaJ6XoIHd6RNFtpE3

hNoLr7FrXhMOfiCobEpQMOT6KGBGeCvRJgkvLPJifFAfPKt3OZTxlMf6q1YnHFxqKBy-cu-VItqvv_0WTQHUFkdXiBqoEMqjrq4pqJE_UKzvtyA5n4OEvLyo3SSo6f2RzMO0QP-C

But we've never been for Christmas! Or 4th of July, but I can't say we will ever have that desire. It's hot enough at HOME that time of year.

So this year, we've decided to go “Home” for the holidays.

zPtxu8fB3Z5DnflHhcFJWOYmZCWhYHLK-sKuoS5QWLXt7favyml-N4v4r3RTWd08JgLxxI0S8EvlDR9HEaq-dfctWGyAiAoEyGZRfLYF4kmyUcnYvUtsj6wQGbv2Pgergp3AiOrX

My mother is a tried and true Disney addict and has passed that down to her children and grandchildren with perfection. Because of this, I have had the pleasure of being the show-runner on two of our past trips. But this one, Mom's running point! Although, we are all contributing our opinions...duh. But to me, my Mom is Mary Poppins... Practically Perfect in Every Way. She really is an Angel. With her heading this trip, we've decided to call it

A Jolly Holiday with Masseys
(our family name, my maiden name).

Reasons to Read our PTR:

1. We are SUPPPPPPPPER extra
  2. Mother/Daughter banter is always cheeky *Mary Poppins Reference*
  3. My kids are super cute
  4. Outfit planning has been an essential part of our pre-tripping for many years. We take it very seriously.
  5. I love spreadsheets and lists and will indulge you in my organized chaos, if you so wish
  6. It’s just good fun to keep us busy and excited until we’re back in the World.

Have we convinced you to join in? Are you even remotely interested in watching as our plans unwind? Well, I'm spilling the deets, either way.:cutie:

Even though this is the beginning of our PTR, I feel like we are already so far behind. WE HAVE TO MAKE ADRs IN 4 DAYS!

FOURRRRRR DAYYYYYYYYS!

Also, just to go ahead and throw a little drama in the mix to hopefully get you interested…

(ominous music)

my husband was between jobs for over 2 months this year… as we were planning this. Like, booking flights-level of planning this. So trying to cement plans in the middle of that is less than ideal and it feels like plans and ideas are still changing daily. But more on that later...

So HERE WE GOOOOO

Off to Neverland… or, Planning-Land, so-to-speak.
I love the baby's face in the first picture!

Joining in. We are also going in December, but its our first ever trip, so I'm hoping to glean wisdom from you.

The next step in our planning is to figure out what are everyone’s MUST DOs? That way we can come up with a general “plan” so no one is too disappointed. Lord knows you can’t do it all!

That's an understatment! So much to do!

The party is a lot of fun, but focus on the parade, fireworks, snow on Main St., and the decorations. Characters eat up a TON of time, but the ride lines should be shorter. For sure wear lighted necklaces or something that makes it easy to spot each other.

Yes! You just have to notify them that you'll be waiting with JP and that Danielle will be riding twice. They'll then scan both bands and add RS to them.

I think I'm catching on. We should be pros by the time Michelle meets up with us.

Thank you! He's a doll.

Joining in. We are also going in December, but its our first ever trip, so I'm hoping to glean wisdom from you.

:welcome: How fun to be planning your first trip ever and doing it during Christmas time. Give us details.

The party is a lot of fun, but focus on the parade, fireworks, snow on Main St., and the decorations. Characters eat up a TON of time, but the ride lines should be shorter. For sure wear lighted necklaces or something that makes it easy to spot each other.

Very good pointers. I was just telling Michelle we needed to look for some lighted necklaces, maybe in the Target dollar spot (of course very few things are $1 anymore).

This is very true. Frankly, couple the FP system with ADRs 6 months out you're really structuring quite a large chunk of your time.
Pros and cons to it. But, yes!
I haven't actually looked at everyone in that pictures' face in a while. You're right! He's an ADULT now.
YAY! Welcome. I'm so excited for you! What kinda things are you looking forward to in your first trip?!
We kinda jointly agreed to avoid characters during the party. It'll be hard enough to do all that we want in that night.
Very good pointers. I was just telling Michelle we needed to look for some lighted necklaces, maybe in the Target dollar spot (of course very few things are $1 anymore).
Good ideas. Note to self: put JP in clothes that are always easy to spot!

Getting the toddler Prepared

Jimmy has been working on the East Coast for about a month and a half now and he made his first visit home about 2 weekends ago. WE HAD MISSED HIM SO MUCH. I can’t even begin to mention the stress and heartache involved with being apart. For me, for the kids, for our families. It’s just hard. I’m so incredibly proud of him and I know how hard it is for him to be away, too. But I’m thankful for the hard worker that he is… so that I can plan Disney trips for us to look forward to together. Now, this December isn’t OUR family, but we DID book our February trip! Hoping and Praying all goes well between now and then so we have that to look forward to. More on that, later.

We haven’t had a Disney Store in Baton Rouge for many years now. Sad, I know. But there’s one in New Orleans. With Jimmy flying in and out of New Orleans, we’ve got lots of Disney Store visits planned between now and our trip(s). But this past time, we were actually in New Orleans (NOLA for short) for a birthday party, and went after the party. I was driving BACK to NOLA that night get him from the airport late, by myself. So my trusty sidekick, Mom, made the first drive so I wouldn’t have to. And so we could go to the Disney Store together.

After the birthday party we went to the Lakeside Mall, which was PACKED! We kept telling JP we were going to see the Lion King Store. So any time we stopped (to pee or eat, because we needed to do both), he repeatedly asked about the Lion King Store.

When we finally got in the store, homeboy went nuts. SO EXCITED. WOODY! BUZZ! LION KING! LIGHTENING MCQUEEN! BEAUTY AND BEAST! He wanted all the toys, wanted to wear all the accessories. It was really precious. We shopped and shopped and shopped. I ended up getting Incredible Mom and incredible Dad coffee cups for Jimmy and I, a Descendants tumbler for G, and Iron Man toy for JP. We also got the $16 backpack with any purchase (for Mom). Mom left with a pillow pet Stitch blanket for G, Cars, a Buzz Lightyear, and jammies for JP, and the Mickey Mouse back to school chalkboard that was $12 with any purchase (for me). We thought they were running out and she was in line before me, so we switched our free gifts.

TNK3LQPcXitYl4-mkqVZCeoYF5yj99z-CDeQPuJyks4Xg-FlUtveN173Jd72FH3WEK_QrB35I7Rh33bdp4992P9J4Xugebs_olkqsxxuD251SCqgMOnvrqKQ4CAqgjhUEaplEihM

That's JP watching sing alongs and what not while I checked out. It was a feat to get him to sit still while we were there. Too much to see!

S1rtH4-MGlcfp95RqjGLZx61gf6B8xN-kZ7aqX1XcMqDuLNqfgxjRDWotU_DASJQzpgiozDjMHxhdQ04Uk2PJaCXOJpxuasN_lb5l6KbiiVYUqnYPN2cjfYvDKLn5t-KKvsCE5AM

Jimmy’s Welcome Home Brunch! Wish I had more pics of our haul.

vEVRZtFwSy53c8-alCCWKJ_vOmFeBWLRbXyLHfKCmI85Z09qNzs657ieu8GZIbdmnbGZ04LLs-EWWvazqGYr1Y3qWv9arYdEb4NOnPlOHi7E-dj-Ddm-d2URht1omZk2A0jdvwq0

There’s the chalkboard. His daycare closes for a week. So it was his “last” day of school… his first one is later this week LOL.

Made me so happy to see my little man enjoy the Disney Store. I mean, I just can’t wait until he sees the REAL THING.

So here’s my question to all of you: what do I need to do to prep my toddler for Disney?!

I’ve seen the Character encyclopedia. I might get him that. He knows all the new stuff, and a lot of the 90s movies, but maybe not more classics. He hasn’t seen Toy Story 4, but gets excited when he sees Forky. So I just want him to recognize things and get excited about them. Or maybe rides or things to look forward to or avoid! He’s into scary things, but not too scary LOL.

On that note, also upcoming is HALLOWEEN! He watches Halloween videos on YouTube so he told me he wants to be a Vampire! Until we start looking, then he wants to be Woody and he wants to be Olaf, etc. I know little girls dress up in the parks all the time, but I think my boy will want to as well. He’s recently getting into Jake and the Neverland Pirates and he has a Pirate dress up outfit he wears a lot.

3pAsIPRz5OZxEmeGvqOWAZ1WoBKQD5vPM16Evc7aWiVAFCuakGkMAcvywGaWOpnEcNp6i8gRT-G1gugIsjLiu5c7ftE8CW26Ag_AWAtWMjTGqbAdVtTAus6TkEgvw3gHjom9c0gj

FvdiLby5F2gQlPQO4v9XUuiRDEhvwkLFzcOaYGfVQS31Iu8KpLSUCNmjg4KaEWkri0J6FwBGF63hXHcbXBO-Et4oNb38W9Mq8z-4ektJMtGA4zzjmuz7oJvruQE97pwcCCwK4Tk_

BoHIG7NFzJd0bAy1qfpL3FVt0WvVjr_7PSUL5soT7P2yy9nqlZa9PuUB2nkAJUPmdmYeu0Z1EMPH0pjmC8VzmH8nwC0MWwrBeQHTmOH4104szooFiL0m1sfm9vMGNd62Mos9dHwq

b-xae6NAapW75241M021saWvYOlRuSNbWIFlrpvOxT1IO_UDynocH7yg8RXtlQj3vGxDjmfWrlS4AWbAVqexcHID4QnobZzd6MlXeNBo5sNMGwOMVrMNUAUcBMVYfUVzwpKPhI45

...my point is, he likes to dress up!

What are some fun dress up things or ideas for BOYS?

We did his first haircut on mainstreet last trip, but I don’t think that’s something I want to spend time on with him as a toddler. Not sure.

After I got Jimmy from the airport, we slept in and then ALL went to go see THE LION KING that Sunday. Jimmy has been waiting for this for IDK how long. And the fact that our toddler LOVESSSSSS the movie, helped a lot. We went, we bought the special popcorn, we dressed up, and JP insisted Dad hold him up during “that part”. He obliged.

dpkb2Y-oNpICGPapi9pf3gASXL_AAMdUw4Nnc5q1AlWkVyit9n-LHUZwWNcLJ2rhZYv1sD8lKBD3esriwVDlJJKkkGLgs7t5683FE4B1ZInZBqU5JvO2X9bSg8TwO_apI5J1y7y_

hxwH8MoIUFQTzUyRWLvRx9thS0aoKbIM-gvCLbeFGt3Z8N4Yz-WE7DLEFXPfe9Pny5ZUy3KrACcMFtyIJBmYqVHebWWjHg1Gb_kB0sOd8sfB4HPPGu1NbEEF3EJnCOdNjpFnz3ch

Klh0SNB41V27mKyc2wKrgB_6CZkdUhcMOY7VLWYF2zkTWeZc_EC3oMVynMFkmUs2w2957TtpUl4RTGZV4irW8Cwq1HHKxzQqt6pAbbDfdopenpXdmvthW7kgavbDKO7y2WGlSKIo

wc66m67PK-yzr5Rc5UkZxURUVRvivD_k3z-1fxigYSwBwuQuLQhX8y7gc75PNWvVNBt1tg3l4fAEt-kT1-zE6uA9-Xup8aYfwFG7Ine2ITk0MF3KiEBTOjrJUS_O8Eyq25v1MNij

But we had SO MUCH FUN reliving that experience and all together. JP told everyone around us what was going to happen next, he doesn’t know how to whisper, and decided he wanted to run up and down the floor aisle from about Hakuna Mattata until the final fight sequence.

Getting the Grumpy Prepared

We also had a hoot at JP’s soccer practice this past weekend. With Jimmy out of town most of the time, it’s really important to me that JP have strong male figures in his life in his grandpas. So I try not to interfere too much when boys are being boys, but we should’ve brought some popcorn for this one.

This is the FIRST “organized” sport JP has done. We never did anything this young, and it’s mostly getting the kids out there with their parents to just follow directions, really. And they look STINKIN CUTE! With my in laws, they teach him things, but kinda just let him do whatever he wants. My parents are a little more structured. My dad, in particular, has low patience or tolerance for disobedience. HE HAS MELLOWED OUT SO MUCH OVER THE YEARS.

So when we were in the 3rd and final 15 minute spurt of soccer, we tagged Grumpy in to go hold JP’s hand. His famous last words were, “He’s not going to like me out there with him.” Poor JP was hot and tired by this point. And my Dad would just insist he do everything the coach was saying and not run off the field to me and stuff. I probably would've been a lot more lienient knowing he was hot and tired, but I let Grumpy do his thing. JP was not happy, and I don’t think Grumpy cared much for it, either. These aren’t crazy things to hope for in a kid, but he’s 2 and tired and hot and over it. Dad never was mean or lost his cool, but watching the “No, JP, listen to coach” battle with the, “NO! I not listen to Coach!” was pretty funny. All-in-all I’m thankful for my Dad and his structure, and it was a good experience for both of them to test each others’ patience before learning the hard way in Disney LOL!

ZWwmEdnU3oR2S64YINpXWN_FmyX7QjlT8fsD2Guh8lze3QzfckP5YtHdicuCRwjK1AEyibM4_zDxzuwOeQJKcgUanCKCqT64yL6mLp1gvXAOuP-ZFqXmuaTJ1nRaEiGkzR_BPLZr

Running off the field to Mom. Grumpy trying to redirect him.

VU_shtUdyDDomj7B6MDbPum8XtBR8n4UeCguMXR0KFL2SGKU328uF_wnXY6j8EubRtIxpVGBP6m5ig5bi4JkfwzSwf0CZAnkXIkCYaflpjbmkqnSO2S8LfrejJj5NDqdEFPvGOiP

How was soccer? This. This was how soccer was this week.

Jimmy has been working on the East Coast for about a month and a half now and he made his first visit home about 2 weekends ago. WE HAD MISSED HIM SO MUCH. I can’t even begin to mention the stress and heartache involved with being apart. For me, for the kids, for our families. It’s just hard. I’m so incredibly proud of him and I know how hard it is for him to be away, too. But I’m thankful for the hard worker that he is… so that I can plan Disney trips for us to look forward to together.
He's doing it all for family... I used to travel all the time for work, but that was before kids and it was bad enough. I can only imagine how difficult it is for everyone, but hopefully, he enjoys his job, and being a hard worker is certainly something you should all be proud of. I'm glad you all got to spend some quality family time together!!!
Made me so happy to see my little man enjoy the Disney Store. I mean, I just can’t wait until he sees the REAL THING.
::yes::
So here’s my question to all of you: what do I need to do to prep my toddler for Disney?!
Honestly, I wouldn't get too concerned. We didn't do much in the way of "Disney prep." Maybe the classic YouTube of some of the scarier rides to prepare him or see what he might be hesitant to want to do? We found dark rides to be a struggle. In fact, we skipped Haunted Mansion and Winnie the Pooh this past trip just because after he freaked out on Peter Pan, we knew it wasn't worth it.

I think the biggest thing, and I don't know how to prepare him, is the size of the characters. Our kids always loved the Disney characters, but seemed to be a bit put off at first by the size of the mouse walking toward them. Usually after the first interaction or 2 they'd settle in, but there was always that hesitance to meet the characters that we always have to get past
After I got Jimmy from the airport, we slept in and then ALL went to go see THE LION KING that Sunday. Jimmy has been waiting for this for IDK how long. And the fact that our toddler LOVESSSSSS the movie, helped a lot. We went, we bought the special popcorn, we dressed up, and JP insisted Dad hold him up during “that part”. He obliged.
That is just awesome!!!
All-in-all I’m thankful for my Dad and his structure, and it was a good experience for both of them to test each others’ patience before learning the hard way in Disney LOL!
That's great... they need to butt heads a little bit. It's good for both of them! But really, it's just awesome that JP (and you) are getting the help and support from the family while dad's away.

I'm so glad you guys got free dining! Yay!!! As far as rider swap...it's actually pretty basic. The one thing that I found out on our last trip was that it's very time consuming. Much more so than I'd planned for. So, that was a bummer. But still a good thing, for sure.

I love your pics from the Lion King movie. So cute!

We've planned a Dec. trip for NEXT year, so I'm looking forward to all your details!

Honestly, I wouldn't get too concerned. We didn't do much in the way of "Disney prep." Maybe the classic YouTube of some of the scarier rides to prepare him or see what he might be hesitant to want to do? We found dark rides to be a struggle. In fact, we skipped Haunted Mansion and Winnie the Pooh this past trip just because after he freaked out on Peter Pan, we knew it wasn't worth it.

I think the biggest thing, and I don't know how to prepare him, is the size of the characters. Our kids always loved the Disney characters, but seemed to be a bit put off at first by the size of the mouse walking toward them. Usually after the first interaction or 2 they'd settle in, but there was always that hesitance to meet the characters that we always have to get past
I do think it'll be a lot of "let's see how this goes first" with the rides. My sister watches ride videos for fun, so we've started to introduce him to that kinda stuff. Like he loves Pirates, so we showed him Pirates of the Caribbean on YouTube and he was not a fan.

Now, the character size I'm not as worried about. He LOVES the Easter Bunny, and we go to Chuck E Cheese a lot and he LOOOOOOOVES when he gets to see Chuck! I'm trying to show him old pictures of him with Rafiki and stuff to give him an idea or that kinda stuff, too.

That is just awesome!!!

My husband is still on a high from that.

That's great... they need to butt heads a little bit. It's good for both of them! But really, it's just awesome that JP (and you) are getting the help and support from the family while dad's away.
I am VERY blessed to have both sides of our family so close and so helpful. But I agree to letting them butt heads. He's going to have a special relationship with everyone, and it's not my job to dictate how that relationship works.

This kid! He looks like so much fun... and he has my kind of personality! What a cutie patootie.
He is Mr. Personality. And now he plays pretend and it's freaking hilarious to hear what comes out of his mouth. That why we buy the costumes... to try and fuel his imagination! And for our own entertainment, really.

I'm so glad you guys got free dining! Yay!!! As far as rider swap...it's actually pretty basic. The one thing that I found out on our last trip was that it's very time consuming. Much more so than I'd planned for. So, that was a bummer. But still a good thing, for sure.

FREE DINING IS THE BEST! The more I hear about it, I think we might try to avoid rider swap if possible. They won't be able to do it without someone missing out before I get there, but once I get there, I really only care to do a few things and the rest of my time, I just wanna watch my baby have fun. So I'm not too interested in rider swap. Glad everyone's told us ahead of time how time consuming it can be. I'd hate to get there thinking it was our golden goose and it only slow us down more than anticipated.

I was just telling Michelle we needed to look for some lighted necklaces, maybe in the Target dollar spot (of course very few things are $1 anymore).
Not sure if it’s the same in your neck of the woods but I always find the glow necklaces are cheap as chips just after Halloween is over so that might be a good time to snag a bargain :thumbsup2
What are some fun dress up things or ideas for BOYS?
My sons used to love themed pjs when we did our evening meal at WDW Mostly Buzz or Woody. They were comfy and still felt dressed up as a character. I loved them because if they fell asleep on the way home from a park it was easy to slip them into bed without waking them :)
JP insisted Dad hold him up during “that part”. He obliged.
Aw that’s just precious :love:

It’s tough being separated as a family but so good you have plenty of support and hopefully it won’t be forever and something will come up closer to home. Crossing my fingers for you x
Love all your Disney store goodies especially the wee blackboard.
It really won’t be long until you’re all together at Disney.
The photo of JP at soccer practice made me laugh. Good on Granda for doing his bit and on you for not interfering which, let’s face it, is always tough!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter