Oh, The Places We’ll Go! From the “stars” to the “sea”: Universal, SeaWorld & beyond - Spring 2016

Too bad your amazing trip reports don't make you some awesome money! Could keep the old job, and share your adventures. But best of luck! Fingers crossed for you :)

Butterflies in the stomach! Good job your boss isn't on the Disboards! :goodvibes

LOL, no kidding! That would certainly let the cat out of the bag, wouldn't it? :teeth:

Luckily, they have no idea about the Dis, or the fact that I post here :). Neither one of them are Florida fans so I can rest assured my online comments will never be discovered.

What a perfect ending to the trip. Even the storm seemed to fit in to the story.

I have to say, you guys really know how to do SeaWorld right. I don't think we've even scratched the surface in the days we have spent there.

Good luck with the job!

The funny thing is.....we still have so much more of Seaworld yet to experience. We are excited to take in the Halloween events this October (that will be new for us!) and of course there is always the chance we will decide to do something unplanned on the spur of the moment :goodvibes. My SW parks bucket list is still pretty long!

It always, always baffles me when people say there is only enough to do at SeaWorld to fill a single day :confused:. I must be weird, but I can easily fill a week with their parks.

Thanks for the kind words. I re-read my initial post and saw that I might have come off as ungrateful. That's not the case. We've always wanted 3 and I think it will be great in the long run having all the kids be close in age.

Sea World is a great idea. I do really look forward to taking the kids there one day. Before we decided to do the family trip in Sept I thought about just keeping our weekend flight for my husband and I and doing discovery cove and sea world instead of universal. I'm sure that would have been wonderful as well!

Fingers crossed you get the news you are hoping for on Thursday!!

You didn't come off as ungrateful at all.....I can imagine that your news (incredible and awesome as it was) was also a pretty big thing to adjust to. I wish you nothing but the best, my friend. You have some very exciting ahead! I'm a little jealous! ;)

I'm all caught up and back! What fun you guys had! I'm so glad we got to follow along. Dining with Shamu looks great but that chocolate cake looks downright sinful. I'm sure I will be making it to SeaWorld with my future offspring one of these days. I just hope that cake (and that Shamu sundae) is there for me!

Fingers crossed that you get the new job AND will have the time to continue your trip reporting! :D

Welcome home, and welcome back!! I hope you had an incredible time with your travelling companions. I still have to get over and start reading your trip report :surfweb:. Once I wrap mine up, I will have more time for kicking back and enjoying the fun threads that others have started!

I am definitely going to try and keep my reports up at least somewhat, regardless of what happens on the job front. Much as I think it might be better for me to give them up, I enjoy them too much to quit cold turkey. Its a little like my chocolate addiction :rolleyes1 .... everyone has to have a couple of bad habits, right? LOL

Agreed! While I only know a few of the trainers at One Ocean, I do know most of the trainers at SLH (and I am so jealous of both! Either looks like the perfect job)

Selling ice cream at a snack cart at SeaWorld would make me a happy girl.....a job working with the animals would be like I died and went to heaven :cloud9:. I can't even imagine!

Too bad your amazing trip reports don't make you some awesome money! Could keep the old job, and share your adventures. But best of luck! Fingers crossed for you :)

Ah, wouldn't that be incredible? :worship:

Thank you for the good luck wishes......I hope they are swift in their decision making. I am seriously checking my emails every 15 minutes.

Last edited:
I also thought the trainers at Dine with Shamu were awesome. They spent a LOT of time with the kids answering questions after the main presentation. This not only made the kids happy and better educated, but it gave me time to have 1-2 additional adult beverages! We did not feel rushed at all during the whole experience.

The funny thing is.....we still have so much more of Seaworld yet to experience. We are excited to take in the Halloween events this October (that will be new for us!) and of course there is always the chance we will decide to do something unplanned on the spur of the moment :goodvibes. My SW parks bucket list is still pretty long!

It always, always baffles me when people say there is only enough to do at SeaWorld to fill a single day :confused:. I must be weird, but I can easily fill a week with their parks.

Selling ice cream at a snack cart at SeaWorld would make me a happy girl.....a job working with the animals would be like I died and went to heaven :cloud9:. I can't even imagine!

SeaWorld Halloween is so much fun! I love taking advantage of the candy stations (some were really good last year). And I can say- I go every week, and I *still* have a ton of things to try

Eventually I'm thinking of applying at SeaWorld. I'd love to work in one of the stadiums (perfect way to be able to watch the shows)

I also thought the trainers at Dine with Shamu were awesome. They spent a LOT of time with the kids answering questions after the main presentation. This not only made the kids happy and better educated, but it gave me time to have 1-2 additional adult beverages! We did not feel rushed at all during the whole experience.

I think next time we do Dine with Shamu, we might Uber to the park (or, in hindsight, we probably should have taken the bus from the RI). I think Steve might have enjoyed an adult beverage or two versus the Coke Zero had he not had to drive back to the hotel.

SeaWorld Halloween is so much fun! I love taking advantage of the candy stations (some were really good last year). And I can say- I go every week, and I *still* have a ton of things to try

Eventually I'm thinking of applying at SeaWorld. I'd love to work in one of the stadiums (perfect way to be able to watch the shows)

So adults can visit the candy stations, too? I was wondering if we would be out of place at the Halloween events, with no little kids in tow. I have also heard they have some pretty cool animal ambassadors out during the Halloween Spooktacular: I am super excited to maybe have the opportunity to get up close to some of the other animals that aren't always accessible to guests :thumbsup2.

Tuesday, May 3rd: the end

Sometime during the night, we received an email from Jetblue saying that travellers were experiencing major delays at TSA checkpoints and that we should arrive a full three hours before our scheduled flight time to ensure sufficient time to clear security before boarding. We all grabbed quick showers and did our final packing as efficiently as possible, and were grateful for the extensive buffet on the main level for a convenient and satisfying breakfast before checking out.

We had pre-paid for a full tank of gas for the rental car at the time of pick-up, so we didn’t have to fiddle with stopping at a gas station en route to the airport. It’s something we splurge on each trip and is worth its weight in gold in stress-reduction and time saving benefits alone. The car was nearly empty anyway (maybe an eighth of a tank remaining) so any loss was more than made up for in expedience.

True to the warning we received from the airline, the security lines were MOBBED :crowded:: seemingly thousands of bodies, shoulder to shoulder, stretching so far into the concourse that people who were not trying to enter the line-up could hardly figure out a way to get by. We have traveled multiple times during high-volume, peak periods like Christmas week and Labour Day weekend and had never, EVER experienced back-logs like we did that innocuous Tuesday morning in early May :confused3. Completely bizarre. Judging by the comments (and panic) from many folks in that line, Jetblue was the only airline to issue the reminder emails to their customers as numerous families and business travelers openly fretted about their slim chances of making their scheduled departures. I felt so incredibly bad for those with little ones in strollers who had to ensure more than an hour in that congested mass of opening frustrated passengers…..not only did they have the hostility of those around them to contend with, they had the needs (and impatience) of their babies, toddlers and preschoolers to deal with. They had their work cut out for them as the endless delays stretched on and on :(.

Eventually, we got through the scanners and hopped the shuttle to our gate. The long wait at security meant we had quite a short wait at our gate in comparison to what we are accustomed to. With each of us upgraded to Even More Space seats (which are boarded first, immediately after Mosaic status members) it wasn’t long until we were comfortably settled on the plane. The busy morning and airport chaos had been a benefit in one way, for sure: it left little time for the going-home blues to take over. We had deadlines to adhere to as we focused on the journey home.

Jake was definitely reflective as he settled himself in for the 2 hour and 15 minute ride. I looked over at one point, and he was sporting a rather serious face. Leaning across Steve, I tapped him on the shoulder, and asked, are you alright? He nodded and says, “It’s just weird not knowing when I’ll be back” :sad1:.

Yup, that was a tough one. I had to fight the tears a little. I was grateful when the crew member came over to talk to us about our responsibilities in the exit row in the case of an emergency. Diversion can be a good thing ::yes::.

The flight home was smooth, our luggage was among the first off the carousel, we were picked up at the hotel quickly and efficiently by the Days Hotel shuttle driver, and we were on the road in record time. We stopped briefly in Grand Island at a Wendy’s just off the highway to have a quick lunch and a final washroom break before our border crossing (just in case there was a back log of any kind), but even that was smooth sailing. We stopped one final time just before Toronto at a Tim Hortons for coffees and Timbits, and then it was straight through to home via the 407 and 401.

Pulling in the driveway, Steve looked over at me and says, “Time to start the next countdown, right baby?” :hug:.

To which I replied: Absolutely. 163 days to go :hourglass.

October would not come soon enough pirate:.

Calculators out! The final accounting is next.

ADDING IT ALL UP…..

Prices also shown to our cost after exchange and conversion wherever possible. Please pardon me while I cringe :scared:.

Ø Buffalo park & fly hotel: FREE (customer service gesture due to past issues)

Ø Trip insurance (medical & general): $69.30 (paid in CDN funds)

Ø Roundtrip, direct flights (Jetblue): $710.20 ($927.38 CDN) (includes round trip upgrades to Even More Space seating)

Ø Car rental: $174.58 (paid in CDN funds)

Ø Fuel for rental car: $66.79 ($84.52 CDN)

Ø Vistana Accommodations (maintenance fee) $935.20 ($1,242.23 CDN)

Ø Food $265.39

Ø Snacks, water, alcohol, misc. supplies $53.44

Ø Universal Premier Annual Passes: $0.00 (free – paid @ May 2015 trip)

Ø SeaWorld & Aquatica Annual Passes $0.00 (free – paid @ December 2015 trip)

Ø Residence Inn SeaWorld, May 1st & 2nd $220.16 ($306.09 CDN)

Ø SeaWorld Dine With Shamu x 3 $86.25 ($113.98 CDN)

Ø SeaWorld All Day Dining x 3 $100.62 ($145.09 CDN)

Ø SeaWorld Behind The Scenes Tour x 3 $61.78 ($82.85 CDN)

Ø Universal Quick Service Dining x 2 $85.16 ($93.71 CDN)

Ø Universal 3-Day Park to Park Ticket $195.66 ($273.00 CDN)

Ø Dolphin Landings Dolphin Cruise x 3 $110.31 ($143.54 CDN)

Ø Aquatica Cabana Rental & Quick Queue $142.82 ($179.32 CDN)

GRAND TOTAL: $3,277.66 USD

$99.32 per person, per day: 10 nights, 11 days total

*Note: if a cost is not listed or seems ridiculously low, it is because we were blessed by an incredible and almost unimaginable amount of generosity as we prepared for this vacation. Many very special highlights of this trip, including (in part) the tickets to the Rays game, our character breakfasts, and our Citywalk Meal & Mini golf (just to name a few), were received as gifts from some very special and wonderful people. To them, we offer all the love and gratitude of our hearts: I hope they know just how much we appreciated every gesture :hug: (big and small....but almost all of them big!!).

Thank you for sharing another wonderful trip! I've read trip reports for going on fifteen years and yours are my standout favorites. We are doing a Universal trip soon with the swamp boat tour you recommended and I've used your trip reports as an unofficial guide for planning. You would be an asset to any company that hired you, but I still think the Orlando tourism board should be giving you kickbacks for introducing so many readers to the greater Orlando area and attractions. Good luck with the job decision!

Fingers crossed that the job is waiting for you and you'll be a great fit.
boekhouder21.gif

Sad days are always the one traveling home. Great round up, and once again, a great accounting of the costs. I try not to do that sometimes, as I can't believe I spent that much on vacation. Then again, I wouldn't change a thing. Happily, our passes are paid for, the DC visit is paid for, airfare paid for, now only hotel and rental to pay for, as well as food and trinkets. We rarely spend much on trinkets now, as been so many times. Most we end up with is clothing. And maybe a Christmas ornament, as that's what we did in SD last year. :santa:

And wahoo, October will be here before you know it. I'm getting really excited.
disney-graphics-mickey-and-minnie-mouse-997075.gif
So sad we won't cross paths, but there's always next year. ::yes::

163 days! Yay! Hopefully you can do a PTR if you have time.

Really enjoyed this TR! That was so cute what Jake said, in a bittersweet way. Hopefully he will get back there soon.

I got lost somewhere in the trip with real life high school graduation for my DS, but I finally caught up at the end. What an amazing TR! The descriptions and photos are a godsend for those of us looking for options, or just missing all the fun of Orlando. Thank you so much for sharing and bringing your trip to life for us, your adoring public! :worship:

And all the luck in the world :shamrock: as you wait to find out about the new position! Although add me to those who selfishly hope you are able to continue your TRs, we'll take them at any rate you can post them!

Maria :upsidedow

oh yeah, and send a flag up, if you do a pre-trip report for October. I'll be subbing. Once again. So enjoy reading and seeing the pictures of your vacations.

And yeah, with mixed emotions, not sure how long my college age DS will vacation. I'm sure if the pocketbook is open, he'll try. As DD may not be doing HS sports this fall, we now may have the end of August to vacation. Or at least a week before the start of college. I asked DS would he like to vacation then or keep our vacation over holiday break. He said hands down, wants to vacation over the holidays again. We all enjoy the decorations and special shows even if the weather isn't as hot as in the summer. No matter, we've been well documented to be swimming at Aquadica when it was 62 degrees out. Yep, us northern folk won't let cool weather bother us. I hope it's HOT like you had last vacation time during the holidays.

Thank you for sharing another wonderful trip! I've read trip reports for going on fifteen years and yours are my standout favorites. We are doing a Universal trip soon with the swamp boat tour you recommended and I've used your trip reports as an unofficial guide for planning. You would be an asset to any company that hired you, but I still think the Orlando tourism board should be giving you kickbacks for introducing so many readers to the greater Orlando area and attractions. Good luck with the job decision!

Wow....that is some mighty high praise. I am very humbled indeed :goodvibes. Thank you so much for such kind comments, they mean so very much to me!

I am glad that my reports help a little to show other Disers all the other awesome stuff to do in the Orlando area. These boards have been such a wonderful resource to me over the years, it makes me smile to know I can give back a little of that help in some small way!

Fingers crossed that the job is waiting for you and you'll be a great fit.
boekhouder21.gif

Sad days are always the one traveling home. Great round up, and once again, a great accounting of the costs. I try not to do that sometimes, as I can't believe I spent that much on vacation. Then again, I wouldn't change a thing. Happily, our passes are paid for, the DC visit is paid for, airfare paid for, now only hotel and rental to pay for, as well as food and trinkets. We rarely spend much on trinkets now, as been so many times. Most we end up with is clothing. And maybe a Christmas ornament, as that's what we did in SD last year. :santa:

And wahoo, October will be here before you know it. I'm getting really excited.
disney-graphics-mickey-and-minnie-mouse-997075.gif
So sad we won't cross paths, but there's always next year. ::yes::

You know, I never mind calculating the final total (though the extra that we paid in exchange sure does hurt when you total it up).....because its all money welll spent in my books. Those memories and experiences are priceless :teeth:. I know you can definitely relate!

We're like you....other than the stuffies and some clothing, there's very little souvenir stuff brought home anymore. After 10 trips, there's very little "stuff" that catches my eye.

Such a nice trip. When does the next pre-trip start? :)

Thanks Shannon! For the PTR...maybe next week ;). I absolutely have to get working on my photo book or else I'll be doing October's book at the same time :rotfl:.

163 days! Yay! Hopefully you can do a PTR if you have time.

Really enjoyed this TR! That was so cute what Jake said, in a bittersweet way. Hopefully he will get back there soon.

I hope he does, too. He just started a new job......on to bigger and better things already!.....and he's *hoping* for his own apartment by fall. That will definitely impact his budget and his vacationability, so we'll have to take it as it comes. I know he'll jump at the chance to join us if his work holidays can be aligned with ours.

That 163 days has already been whittled down, and we're now sitting at 106 until our departure day :banana:. Summer always goes fast at the best of times, so I'm sensing that October's trip will roll around before we know it.

Sad pouty face that the trip is over. :( I hope that your week ends with a job offer and then a link to your next pre-trip report.

Thank you, Ruthie! Still no word yet.......don't know if that's a good sign or a bad one :rolleyes1.

Dang it, someone must've been cutting onions in my office right when I read the part about Jake not knowing when he's coming back.

Oh man, do I ever hear ya on that one. I could have lost it right there in row 12 :sad1:. Just like a knife through my already sad heart!

I got lost somewhere in the trip with real life high school graduation for my DS, but I finally caught up at the end. What an amazing TR! The descriptions and photos are a godsend for those of us looking for options, or just missing all the fun of Orlando. Thank you so much for sharing and bringing your trip to life for us, your adoring public! :worship:

And all the luck in the world :shamrock: as you wait to find out about the new position! Although add me to those who selfishly hope you are able to continue your TRs, we'll take them at any rate you can post them!

Maria :upsidedow

LOL, Maria you are too sweet :o . I am so grateful to all of you who joined in along the way. Without all your fun input, this would have been a very boring thread for sure!!

Congrats on your DS's graduation, what an exciting milestone for all! Fun moments, but very emotional times for us mommas especially.

oh yeah, and send a flag up, if you do a pre-trip report for October. I'll be subbing. Once again. So enjoy reading and seeing the pictures of your vacations.

And yeah, with mixed emotions, not sure how long my college age DS will vacation. I'm sure if the pocketbook is open, he'll try. As DD may not be doing HS sports this fall, we now may have the end of August to vacation. Or at least a week before the start of college. I asked DS would he like to vacation then or keep our vacation over holiday break. He said hands down, wants to vacation over the holidays again. We all enjoy the decorations and special shows even if the weather isn't as hot as in the summer. No matter, we've been well documented to be swimming at Aquadica when it was 62 degrees out. Yep, us northern folk won't let cool weather bother us. I hope it's HOT like you had last vacation time during the holidays.

I will definitely post a link here to my PTR once I officially kick it off. I'll need ya'll to migrate over there so I won't be lonely for the next 106 days!! I know there are several of us planning autumn trips, too, so we can all commisserate together.

Fingers crossed you get last year's warm temps over Christmas 2016: let me tell you, northerner or southern belle, it was good water park weather this past holiday season! :beach: Santa was definitely enjoying a beverage by the pool after this year's presents were delivered!

Wait....it's over?!!! :sad: I have had SO much fun reading about your adventures and can't believe your trip has come to an end. Thank you so much for sharing with us:grouphug:

So adults can visit the candy stations, too?

Absolutely. I have gone each of the past several years and always got a bag and went station to station. I have never had anyone tell me I shouldn't be doing that or had an employee refuse to give me candy. You may be in the minority just being adults but I have never noticed that anyone else cared (as long as I didn't run over their kid getting to the candy).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter