O'hana Opinions

Alessandra Gabriel

Mouseketeer
Can you guys give me your honest feedback about O'hana? I was thinking about booking this for dinner for our upcoming trip as we have never eaten here before. I remember in years past there were complaints about the chicken...something about Disney switching to thighs instead of white meat? Is that still the case?

It is a fan favorite but we did not enjoy it at all.

1. The food wasn't good at all. Meats were tough. The veg was just a bowl of broccoli and noodles were gummy and bland. I was also personally not a fan of the sweet marinade on most of the meat (terriyaki?). The potstickers are the same frozen ones I can get at Walmart.

2. The wait to be seated was ridiculous. 45 minutes past our ADR.

3. The atmosphere inside was beyond chaos. We were seated at a table right on the main path where the cocnut races and kid's parade go by and we were constantly bumped and banged into by kids and their pushy parents. There was someone with a ukelele shrieking through the meal.

4. Service was actually delightful. Our server was a gem.

5. The bread pudding was delicious.

My family has gone once a trip, every trip, yearly since 2014 (mostly for convenience sake, since we frequently stay at the Poly). The food has been genuinely hit or miss. We really loved our meal on our last trip, Thanksgiving 2018, but I thought the skewers were horrible during our August 2017 trip. The noodles, pot stickers, and bread pudding have been consistently outstanding.

I would book it if you've never tried it before! It's a classic Disney dining experience and we've had more good food here than bad.

I went for the first and last time in January 2017 with my sister (we are 2 adults). The food was just okay. The best thing they have going there is the salad and the bread pudding. The service was awful there; we felt like our waiter was never present and just overall the atmosphere was not pleasant for us. I would say if your curiosity is peaked, then go ahead and try it, but just know you will be paying a pretty penny for the experience. Instead, my family prefers Kona Cafe and you can ask your server there to bring you Ohana bread pudding for dessert.

It is, as you’ve seen... A bit hit or miss. I will keep booking b/c tbh we’ve gotten more hits than misses. My advice is go early, or go late. If you’ve got small kids, go as early as possible. We went with our 18 month old and had a great time at 5:30. Not everything was in prime time mode we had a lovely time trying all the different foods. I’ve also gone with my now wife a number of times over the past 20ish years. The menu has changed but generally yuo’re getting well prepared dishes in whatever quantities you care to explore... As a couple we always went as late as we could to get the militant army of children well clear. More space, less “entertainment” perhaps a beverage or two more than not at Tambu beforehand... We prioritized the meal over the fireworks and universally that has lead to better dining experiences.

If you haven’t been, it’s worth a go. Just be realistic about the situation.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! It will be myself, DH and DD (9) on our arrival day which is also our 17th wedding anniversary. I also should add that this is our only non park day.

You are going to get lots of mixed reviews on Ohana. There seems to be no consistency at this restaurant for some reason. We've gone a couple times with the most recent being in Oct 2018. The first time we went we really enjoyed dinner, the food was good, service was good, atmosphere was nice. Our last visit was just ok... nothing good or bad- mediocre food and service. I can take it or leave it.

I'd probably go somewhere else since it's your anniversary. There are lots of better restaurants at other resorts and DS.

Well you will get a different opinion from me. We ate there for dinner twice every trip. First and last night and have never had a bad meal there. One or twice a slower waiter and unlike others as a retired Marine I have no issues at all in sending skewers of meat away until we want them. I really love the place.

We've been twice. First time was dinner and I was beyond disappointed. It was our first night there, for our first trip as a family (my daughter was 2). There was a mix up at the check in desk (they thought they seated us but we were still waiting) and it took 45 min to get that sorted out and get seated. Once we finally sat down, our server (who may not have realized the mix-up?) acted rude to us since she had all the other tables coordinated but we had thrown off her timing since we were late. The food was ok but not amazing. I did very much enjoy the dessert though.

We tried again for brunch on our next trip and it was a much more positive experience. Got seated promptly, great service, great character interaction. Food was very tasty, although it's mostly pretty basic breakfast stuff so hard to mess up.

I'd try dinner again but with lowered expectations next time and maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.

We eaten there multiple times over the past 12 years and I think it's really gone downhill. The last time we ate there, they didn't do any of the games and the service was really bad. The server did the best she could, but she seemed to have a ton of tables and zero help. If you are looking for something with a bit of a "fun" element, I would consider WCC at WL instead. If you want better food, I would consider doing a signature - for an anniversary, I would do Cali Grill. The view is stunning.

This was the worst dinner we've ever had at Disney and would never eat there again.
We had to try it for ourselves a couple years ago figuring there had to be something good about it based on the hard to get ressies.
We had one of the first seatings for dinner.
When we arrived at the Poly there were already people literally sprawled everywhere in front of restaurant. Some looked like they'd been camped out there a long time.
DH looked at me like what did you to us.
We had a 5 min wait and were seated, not sure what was going on with all of those other people.
As soon as we sat down the waiter started dropping food in front of us.
One platter looked like scraps from another table.
I think there was one food that was ok and we basically just ate some of that and dessert.
Nothing was good enough to order more.
Like I said we were in the first seating but soon after being seated the place was complete chaos.
Really loud, tables on top of each other and a big rush to get you in and out.
I have teenagers and they too didn't find anything appealing about the place either.
For us all you can eat only matters if the food is good.
Spending over $200 was a real waste for us.

I will say DD and I had a nice time 4 years ago when we had breakfast here.

We really enjoyed it, and have it booked again for June. Fair warning it is a lot of food! You might not want to eat such a heavy meal on such a special occasion (if you catch my drift). We really liked the atmosphere and the view of the castle made it fun for my daughter. As an anniversary dinner I would probably do Hoop Dee Doo (not romantic or anything, just super fun) or a signature restaurant. I feel like O'hana is more of a birthday or other type of celebration place, the type of meal that is best enjoyed with a larger group, if that makes any sense.

This was the worst dinner we've ever had at Disney and would never eat there again.
We had to try it for ourselves a couple years ago figuring there had to be something good about it based on the hard to get ressies.
We had one of the first seatings for dinner.
When we arrived at the Poly there were already people literally sprawled everywhere in front of restaurant. Some looked like they'd been camped out there a long time.
DH looked at me like what did you to us.
We had a 5 min wait and were seated, not sure what was going on with all of those other people.
As soon as we sat down the waiter started dropping food in front of us.
One platter looked like scraps from another table.
I think there was one food that was ok and we basically just ate some of that and dessert.
Nothing was good enough to order more.
Like I said we were in the first seating but soon after being seated the place was complete chaos.
Really loud, tables on top of each other and a big rush to get you in and out.
I have teenagers and they too didn't find anything appealing about the place either.
For us all you can eat only matters if the food is good.
Spending over $200 was a real waste for us.

I will say DD and I had a nice time 4 years ago when we had breakfast here.

It really seems to be hit or miss all over the place there! Our dinner was really good, but our breakfast was meh. Our least favorite character breakfast, the only reason we booked it for this next trip is for my daughter to see Lilo again.

We went back in November for the first time and it was just okay.

1. Noodles wings and potstickers were better than the main course. Over cooked steak and shrimp, chicken was okay.
2. Service SUCKED. Every waiter was acting rushed or put off
3. I enjoyed the Brady Bunch goes to Hawaii decor and feel.
4. Bread Pudding is awesome

Glad I experienced, but have no need to go back for that price. We are a family of three and had a cheaper meal at California Grill the night before and the views, service and food was some of the best I've ever had on or off property.

Last edited:
It really seems to be hit or miss all over the place there! Our dinner was really good, but our breakfast was meh. Our least favorite character breakfast, the only reason we booked it for this next trip is for my daughter to see Lilo again.

We did it so DD could see Stitch and I wanted to visit the Poly, which I have found memories of and rarely get to visit.

Im now convinced that California Grill needs to happen instead of O'hana! I truly don't know what I was thinking about attempting to do that on our Anniversary. After stalking trip advisor photos, Cali has won out and I will definitely be making this ADR when my 180 opens up. It looks beautiful and hopefully we can snag a time later in the evening to catch the fireworks!!!

Im now convinced that California Grill needs to happen instead of O'hana! I truly don't know what I was thinking about attempting to do that on our Anniversary. After stalking trip advisor photos, Cali has won out and I will definitely be making this ADR when my 180 opens up. It looks beautiful and hopefully we can snag a time later in the evening to catch the fireworks!!!

As many times as we've been to WDW I have never eaten at Cali but always wanted to eat there.
So many great reviews and def a spot to celebrate your anniversary.
Definitely get on at 180 and make the ressie!
Have fun!

I had dinner there when I was a kid. Unfortunately, I don't remember much about it, so can't really vouch for it now. However, I can say their character breakfast is excellent.

DH and I went to Ohana and Cali this week for dinner - totally different experiences but both had great food. The food and service at Ohana was much better than it was when we visited in January, so maybe it is hit or miss. We were able to get at 8pm reservation at Cali the next night, so saw the 9:15 fireworks. We split a filet entree and a couple of appetizers and that was plenty of food! Cali is much more elegant, but Ohana was a lot of fun. Fyi, We had better luck getting ADRs the week of then we did 180 days out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter