Ohana or California grill

It seems that we've just had very different experiences at this restaurant then. The time I dined there it was very laid back and my dad, who is hard of hearing, had no issues understanding me at a normal volume. I can't recall a single table in what I consider park attire (t-shirt, jeans). It's possible I also just considered it to be quiet because it was in comparison to many other dining choices (like Ohana). I do recall seeing children, but none younger than probably five or six and all were well-behaved.
Our experiences at Cali Grill were definitely closer to yours. Well-behaved children and people definitely dressed nicely, at least at the surrounding tables. If there were people in park attire, I didn’t see them.

I would also go with California Grill. And for what it's worth, I agree that it's very loud in there. Maybe the noise level depends on what time you go? I would assume if you have a later ADR it would be quieter? Lastly, I have most definitely seen a lot of people in park-attire at California Grill.

This is not even close - California Grill. California Grill beats Ohana in every category IMO. Just look at the most recent Ohana thread for confirmation of how badly that restaurant has fallen. It was the most disappointing meal of our 2 week Universal/Disney vacation last year. I think the people that still defend Ohana so fervently are romanticizing nostalgic experiences they have had there from years long gone. There are many Quick Service restaurants that have better quality food within WDW. The ambiance of the dining experience is destroyed by the quick pacing of the service which is also extremely below average. I think the staff there tries hard, but have been fighting a losing quick turn-over battle there.

California Grill has amazing food in a fabulous space that is able to not be stuffy at all like some other Signature Options. We have a younger son with a short attention span and he was blown away with the views of the park - it even kept him from staring at a screen during dinner. Service was world class compared to Ohana as well. I feel very strongly that you are going to be setting yourself up for disappointment if you pick Ohana over California Grill.

This is not even close - California Grill. California Grill beats Ohana in every category IMO. Just look at the most recent Ohana thread for confirmation of how badly that restaurant has fallen. It was the most disappointing meal of our 2 week Universal/Disney vacation last year. I think the people that still defend Ohana so fervently are romanticizing nostalgic experiences they have had there from years long gone. There are many Quick Service restaurants that have better quality food within WDW. The ambiance of the dining experience is destroyed by the quick pacing of the service which is also extremely below average. I think the staff there tries hard, but have been fighting a losing quick turn-over battle there.
Service was world class compared to Ohana as well. I feel very strongly that you are going to be setting yourself up for disappointment if you pick Ohana over California Grill.
I totally agree with everything said here. :thumbsup2

If it were me I would go with Ohana with a 2 year old. Not just because it's a more relaxed atmosphere and the food/drink tends to be continuous but also because I think it would be more relaxing for me. When we visited Cali Grill, there were other kids there but the vibe is more upscale. Many more adult only diners and a place where I was a little more on edge about how my kids were behaving. I think the food is certainly better at Cali Grill but I would save it for another time when you can really enjoy it!

Seconding this. We took out little one to Cali Grill while his brothers were in the Polynesian kiddie club (back when that existed) but our littlest was too young for the kid club. He was ALWAYS a little angel at restaurants; never a peep, just munched away at his food happily. But as with all little kids sometimes you are just unlucky, and he didn't go down for his nap that day, and wouldn't stop crying at dinner, so I had to take him for a walk outside on the balcony because as others have said, this is not a restaurant like most disney restaurants where a little fussiness goes under the radar--it is very upscale and I did have to leave. I finally got him to fall asleep on my chest by walking back and forth on the balcony while my husband sat at the table alone. Then of course when the food arrived I couldn't eat because I was holding a very large baby so my $60 entrée went untouched. *sigh*

I just think one of the nice things about Disney is that you don't have to stress/get self-conscious about having kids with you at most places so I really didn't like that Cali Grill was the exception.

I would go with California...and it's not just because our last 'Ohana dinner experience was disappointing. Our younger one was also 2 on her first visit to California Grill. I know every child is different and experiences will vary, but she preferred Cali Grill over 'Ohana. Sure, it helped that our server was doting on the kids the whole time, but they loved it. In fact, she loved it so much that she asked to go there when we went to WDW for her 4th bday. We timed it later so that we were watching fireworks with our meal, but 'Ohana was also a fireworks meal for us for that trip. I also used the view decks as a way to keep her entertained. I planned a few trips outside, in between courses, so that she could look around.

IMO, very different experiences. Ohana is by far one of my favorite restaurants, for the food and the experience. It's a fun, immersive environment. California Grill is fantastic, though it is a more upscale, quieter and longer experience. Both are great, but for different experiences.

California Grill unless you’re up to gorging yourself on a meat fest. I find Ohana highly overrated for the price and would choose Cali Grill.

These are two polar opposite choices. 'Ohana for quantity and the bread pudding, Cali Grill for quality.

Went to both on back to back nights in November and hands down I'd pick California Grill over Ohana even if not on the dining plan.

It depends on what you like. 'Ohana is still a must do for my family. At CG, we usually do sushi, apps and cocktails. Since you are on the DDP, and you have an early ADR, I'd go with CG. You do not have to dress up. At that hour, you will definitely see people in park gear.

One time, the guy sitting at the next table was wearing a sweaty tshirt and old sneakers. I'm pretty sure it was sleeveless. YMMV but do not worry about dressing up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter