Ohana or California grill

kmn952

Mouseketeer
We have the deluxe dining plan, so the credits aren’t an issue. Would you pick up Ohana dinner or California grill (5pm) dinner. We do have a new turned 2y old.

I'd pick Cali Grill, but my kids were always good with eating out. If you have one of those 2yos, I'd go with Cali. Food is much better.

The food is a whole different ballgame at Cali Grill, however it is much more upscale, so if your two year old isn't well behaved at restaurants (especially ones without child-friendly entertainment options) I would rule it out. Not only will you not get the relaxed dining experience that should come with with eating at Cali Grill, but it would be impolite to other diners if they ended up having to listen to a child who was bored.

Cali Grill was the kind of restaurant where I wore a nice sundress, heels, and pearls and still felt like I was slightly under-dressed.

If it were me I would go with Ohana with a 2 year old. Not just because it's a more relaxed atmosphere and the food/drink tends to be continuous but also because I think it would be more relaxing for me. When we visited Cali Grill, there were other kids there but the vibe is more upscale. Many more adult only diners and a place where I was a little more on edge about how my kids were behaving. I think the food is certainly better at Cali Grill but I would save it for another time when you can really enjoy it!

Ohana is a much better choice with a 2 yr old. Ohana's menu is fixed so you don't have to order and then wait for food to be prepared. Very young children get easily bored waiting for anything at restaurants and don't grasp the concept of sitting & waiting for food ordered from a menu. When we ate there recently, there were also activities for the older children and seems to be a better overall choice then restaurants mostly intended for adults.

The food is a whole different ballgame at Cali Grill, however it is much more upscale, so if your two year old isn't well behaved at restaurants (especially ones without child-friendly entertainment options) I would rule it out. Not only will you not get the relaxed dining experience that should come with with eating at Cali Grill, but it would be impolite to other diners if they ended up having to listen to a child who was bored.

Cali Grill was the kind of restaurant where I wore a nice sundress, heels, and pearls and still felt like I was slightly under-dressed.
Sorry but cali grill is LOUD as heck. Just overall, its hard to hear your table mate. Also, ive seen many toddlers/kids "shouting" and what not. Its not unusual. And as for the heels/sundress etc....i see more people in park gear than anything else. The typical attire for men ive noticed is khaki shorts and a polo shirt. For women, it varies. Basically if you wear park gear, your fine (as long as it follows their guidelines, whatever that is).

We love CA grill and we took our then 3 year old and 7 year old. We lucked out and got table with a fireworks view. My son (3) and daughter (7) loved watching the buses and monorails below. We didn’t even need to iPads we brought. We did have headphones so not to bother in anyone. We told the kids they could watch a show while we waited on food, but once the food came it was family time. We were there for nearly 2 hours without issue. My children were a lot quieter than the two tables of adults near us.
Ohana is just loud and fun. There’s no waiting on food. They practically shoved us out the door last time. We are going back this next trip so we’ll see if they don’t do a rush job again.

Sorry but cali grill is LOUD as heck. Just overall, its hard to hear your table mate. Also, ive seen many toddlers/kids "shouting" and what not. Its not unusual. And as for the heels/sundress etc....i see more people in park gear than anything else. The typical attire for men ive noticed is khaki shorts and a polo shirt. For women, it varies. Basically if you wear park gear, your fine (as long as it follows their guidelines, whatever that is).

It seems that we've just had very different experiences at this restaurant then. The time I dined there it was very laid back and my dad, who is hard of hearing, had no issues understanding me at a normal volume. I can't recall a single table in what I consider park attire (t-shirt, jeans). It's possible I also just considered it to be quiet because it was in comparison to many other dining choices (like Ohana). I do recall seeing children, but none younger than probably five or six and all were well-behaved.

I think for a 5 PM time, do whatever suits you...but be willing to change if need be. If you had asked me 6 months ago where I'd take my kid, I'd say anywhere. Now my perfect restaurant angel is a nightmare...

ETA: For the record, my kid is 2 months away from turning 3.

Every time we have been to the California Grill is was quiet and very relaxed. Ohana is our favorite place to eat thou. Others may disagree but we have never had a bad meal there. If you have never been to the California Grill and if your little one is laid back I would take the chance and eat there. Everyone should experience it at least once.. Now I will say this about Ohana when my daughter was 5 she spent almost a year on a very weird eating scheme. She would only eat mac'n'cheese, fries, chicken nuggets and pizza. They did not blink an eye and took care of her.

California Grill was a must do and Ohana was a never do for us when our daughter was 2. They do not even compare. We are always on the regular ddp and do not waste a credit on the cafeteria food at Ohana. If you are worried about your child I would go to the Wave everyday of the week before going back to Ohana.

California Grill. The food is superior and it will be more enjoyable for you. If your young one gets restless, you could always take them out on the balcony or away from the tables near the elevators. Also, I believe dinner begins seating at 5 so you should be better on time if you need a faster meal.

Enjoy! It is one of our favorite places in the World!

I would pick 'Ohana. If it wasn't for the firework, I believe CG is the most overrated restaurant on property. IMHO, I believe the food is okay (had better elsewhere) and the atmosphere is loud (not the way I think a signature restaurant should be), but the staff are great.

Sorry but cali grill is LOUD as heck. Just overall, its hard to hear your table mate. Also, ive seen many toddlers/kids "shouting" and what not. Its not unusual.
This is one of the absolutely main reason I don't recommend CG. However, I have heard that if you ask for The Monterey Room it is much quieter.

California Grill. Ohana is way to "hit or miss". You might get a good day or you might get a horrid day. Not worth the risk of poor food and/or poor service!

It seems that we've just had very different experiences at this restaurant then. The time I dined there it was very laid back and my dad, who is hard of hearing, had no issues understanding me at a normal volume. I can't recall a single table in what I consider park attire (t-shirt, jeans). It's possible I also just considered it to be quiet because it was in comparison to many other dining choices (like Ohana). I do recall seeing children, but none younger than probably five or six and all were well-behaved.
Have you been to CG since they refurbished it? Ive been many times. For a signature restaurant, i was actually surprised as to how loud it was. Its interesting how we have two different experiences because each time ive gone there were quite a few ppl in park gear. Each time ive visited too. RE: the noise level, im wondering if it makes a difference as to where they seat you? when you walk into the restaurant, i either get seated on the right side OR one of the tables closest to the lounge area. Ive never been seated to the far left or the middle of the room.

It really depends on how your 2 year old does at restaurants.
We took our kids to most restaurants when they were that age and they were very good, as long as you had enough things to keep them busy.
I have seen other kids the same age behaving badly.
If your child does well at restaurants, I would do California Grill, the food is much better. Otherwise there is more for them to watch at Ohanas.

Cali Grill. The food and service are great and the views are amazing. Cali Grill isn't long and drawn-out, either, so your 2-year old won't be bored. When my DS was younger, I would simply walk him out to the observation decks and he was fine. 'Ohana has become a chaotic, hot-mess of a restaurant. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

I agree with those saying it depends on your kid. Our newly 3yo was fine at Cali Grill, but I was much more on top of making sure she was entertained than I would have been (we let her use our phone which is not the norm for us). At 'Ohana I would have not worried about her behavior at all. One other thing that I would say is that 'Ohana has the coconut races which can be good or bad depending how much time you are interested in spending participating in an activity during dinner.

Have you been to CG since they refurbished it? Ive been many times. For a signature restaurant, i was actually surprised as to how loud it was. Its interesting how we have two different experiences because each time ive gone there were quite a few ppl in park gear. Each time ive visited too. RE: the noise level, im wondering if it makes a difference as to where they seat you? when you walk into the restaurant, i either get seated on the right side OR one of the tables closest to the lounge area. Ive never been seated to the far left or the middle of the room.

I havent been in a few years, but we were seated off to the left and nearer to the window. We had a wonderful view of the castle at sunset. We were also a relatively later seating, as that may make a difference as well (fewer people going straight over from the parks maybe).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter