'Ohana Question

cbeeindisney

DIS Veteran
I LOVE Ohana- my husband and I have done breakfast and I have done dinner with my family without him.

My question is this- my husband is allergic to coconut, bananas, macadamias, melons among more tree nuts. I know that Disney is excellent with allergies and they have substitutes, etc.. but am I just taking out the core of the meal if he has substitutes for dessert, not getting to eat the bread, would it even be worth it at the point?

I hate that he doesn't get to experience the dinner there because we've been nervous and if we go, I just want to make sure that he will be able to have substitutions for those things and he won't be missing out on too much. I just don't know if it would be silly even trying to go, if it's too much work. Help me decide- thank you so much!

I would go for sure and talk with them. Your DH will miss some, but they will do a great job I am sure to make it delish! It is a must do for us each visit. Aloha!!

I’m not sure those allergies mean he is missing the core of the meal. The bread is just an appetizer to fill you up before the real meal starts. The app tray is pot stickers, wings, noodles and all sorts of other goodies that seem in play. The main attraction is the grilled meats so he is good there. Missing out on the banana dessert would be bad, but guessing they have some type of dessert substitute.

If not, eat more steak.

I’ve also been there with someone who has allergies, and they were great.

I agree that your DH is not missing the central portion of the meal. If he decides to join you the chef will help determine what is safe and what is not. For instance, I think your DH will get his dessert, however the caramel bananas sauce will not be served with it.

Ok great, thank you so much!

Maybe core was not the right word, but because it is an already fixed menu, I didn't know if it would be missing out on some key players (or at least to me) the bread, the dessert, etc..

Thank you for your help! We'll try it out!

Ok great, thank you so much!

Maybe core was not the right word, but because it is an already fixed menu, I didn't know if it would be missing out on some key players (or at least to me) the bread, the dessert, etc..

Thank you for your help! We'll try it out!

I think it all depends on what is important to your DH. He may miss some components of the meal, but does that mean he will not enjoy the balance or manage to leave satisfied? Only he can answer that.

I asked not long ago and some said they believed the banana could be left off of the bread pudding, because I can't eat that either. I don't know if anyone on this thread can confirm or deny that??

I'm gluten free, which I know your husband is not, but I wanted to add that Ohana substitutes the bread and the banana bread pudding for me so there are alternatives. I get a gluten free roll instead of the coconut bread and they prepare a gluten free brownie, ice cream, fresh berries and chocolate sauce dish instead of the banana bread pudding. I don't miss the other items at all.

I think it all depends on what is important to your DH. He may miss some components of the meal, but does that mean he will not enjoy the balance or manage to leave satisfied? Only he can answer that.

Thanks- he did and he really wants to try it there- but wasn't quite sure about the rest if it would all be safe to eat, being that it's Polynesian and a big component are the ingredients that he is allergic to- just looking for some more info from others that may have similar allergies or experiences.

I'm gluten free, which I know your husband is not, but I wanted to add that Ohana substitutes the bread and the banana bread pudding for me so there are alternatives. I get a gluten free roll instead of the coconut bread and they prepare a gluten free brownie, ice cream, fresh berries and chocolate sauce dish instead of the banana bread pudding. I don't miss the other items at all.

That's awesome- that's just the info I was looking for- thank you!

I would go for it. Have him talk to the CM for your table and tell them his allergies. The chef might come out and discuss with him some options.

We went there for dinner that was allergic to onions, garlic, and peanuts. The chef came out and discussed several options with her. She ended having her own dishes ---- pork dumplings with a different sauce, (regular not spicy) shrimp with a different sauce and steak with a different sauce.

That's awesome- that's just the info I was looking for- thank you!
You're welcome! It's also important to note that every time I've been to Ohana a chef has come out to speak to me specifically about my dinner choices available. You can definitely speak to the chef and work together on what would be appropriate for your husband.

I'm attaching a pic of the dessert they give me, which I've had a few times now. (excuse the hot hand towel in the pic!) It's funny because people at other tables near us have asked how they can get the dessert because it looks so good, lol!410567

And here's a pic of the gf roll, substituted for the coconut bread, and also the separate platter of rice (I can't have the noodles) and veggies they give me. At the time we were there last month I was finally able to have the same corriander chicken wings and both dipping sauces as everyone else because they had just made them gf for everyone a few weeks prior. They will keep everyone else's food separate so there's no cross contamination issue.

Thanks- he did and he really wants to try it there- but wasn't quite sure about the rest if it would all be safe to eat, being that it's Polynesian and a big component are the ingredients that he is allergic to- just looking for some more info from others that may have similar allergies or experiences.

I understand. Tell your server you want to speak to the Chef to be sure all of his food in safe to eat.

You're welcome! It's also important to note that every time I've been to Ohana a chef has come out to speak to me specifically about my dinner choices available. You can definitely speak to the chef and work together on what would be appropriate for your husband.

I'm attaching a pic of the dessert they give me, which I've had a few times now. (excuse the hot hand towel in the pic!) It's funny because people at other tables near us have asked how they can get the dessert because it looks so good, lol!View attachment 410567

And here's a pic of the gf roll, substituted for the coconut bread, and also the separate platter of rice (I can't have the noodles) and veggies they give me. At the time we were there last month I was finally able to have the same corriander chicken wings and both dipping sauces as everyone else because they had just made them gf for everyone a few weeks prior. They will keep everyone else's food separate so there's no cross contamination issue.
View attachment 410570

Thank you so much- this is awesome! I appreciate it!

I would go for it. Have him talk to the CM for your table and tell them his allergies. The chef might come out and discuss with him some options.

We went there for dinner that was allergic to onions, garlic, and peanuts. The chef came out and discussed several options with her. She ended having her own dishes ---- pork dumplings with a different sauce, (regular not spicy) shrimp with a different sauce and steak with a different sauce.

Oh wow! That's great- thank you!

My DD has all of the same allergies (and then some) that you listed, except she is able to eat coconut.
She was able to eat almost everything on the regular menu a few weeks ago. Of course they did not bring the peanut sauce but there were plenty of options and they will accommodate anything needed. The chef was great and made sure we not only had options but felt safe with them all.

I haven’t been but in another thread I asked about bananas and dessert for my daughter and I was told they will make her something special. I thought she would be upset at getting the kids option. I think they said there is a shared kitchen with another restaurant so there are a lot more options than the menu makes it seem. I think someone also mentioned fancy cupcakes as an option.

I can't imagine the main courses impacting him. I would just call to confirm.

Thank you so much!

I haven’t been but in another thread I asked about bananas and dessert for my daughter and I was told they will make her something special. I thought she would be upset at getting the kids option. I think they said there is a shared kitchen with another restaurant so there are a lot more options than the menu makes it seem. I think someone also mentioned fancy cupcakes as an option.

That's great to know! Thank you!

My DD has all of the same allergies (and then some) that you listed, except she is able to eat coconut.
She was able to eat almost everything on the regular menu a few weeks ago. Of course they did not bring the peanut sauce but there were plenty of options and they will accommodate anything needed. The chef was great and made sure we not only had options but felt safe with them all.

That's awesome- thank you so much for your reply!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter