OI meetup question

We are going on December 6 and this will be the family’s first time to Uni! We bought APs as well will use them Monday-Tuesday all of us then Wednesday-Friday for DH and I. As soon as park hours for December are posted, I am going to be asking for help making a plan for our trip!!!

Also - I have read Hagrids still can have a significant wait even at a meetup. Is there anyone with a strategy to make sure we get a ride without spending too much precious time in line??? Thanks!

Ok, not to sound dumb but what is UI Meet Up?
Some of the dates are already sold out, but some are still available. I have friends who went before and they said it was amazing, so we decided to try it.
We’ve only been to UO once before, and we only really cared about the HP stuff. We thought this would be a great opportunity to do everything without having to stay at one of the premier hotels to get express pass, as we’re a rather large group.

It’s not really a “meetup,” it’s really an after-hours event that gives you free food + shorter lines/less crowds. Here’s a link for more information: https://meetup.orlandoinformer.com/winter/

Some of the dates are already sold out, but some are still available. I have friends who went before and they said it was amazing, so we decided to try it.
We’ve only been to UO once before, and we only really cared about the HP stuff. We thought this would be a great opportunity to do everything without having to stay at one of the premier hotels to get express pass, as we’re a rather large group.

It’s not really a “meetup,” it’s really an after-hours event that gives you free food + shorter lines/less crowds. Here’s a link for more information: https://meetup.orlandoinformer.com/winter/

Thanks, thats what I was wondering. Ive done the New Orleans Party before and I liked it but I dont think it was an after hours type event. I think ill look into this for next year.

Its an awesome event! Your ticket gets you in the gate at 3pm, and you have access to everything right off, with the normal day crowds. At 7 or 8 or whenever the parks close to day guests, only meetup folks will be in the parks. Trust me, its not a lot of people. Most everything is walk on, and sections of the park will be nearly deserted. Unlimited food opens an hour after park close, but they're giving out dining cards as well. You get this when you check in, and can use it anywhere the dining plan is accepted, up to park close. It includes a full meal, a snack, and a drink.The last time they did this, we ate early to avoid being starving when the free food opened. It worked out very well..
The free food is (or was) mostly buffet or cafeteria style, so it doesn't take long to get and eat.

Thanks so much for this info! I’m going to the December 12th meetup and had no idea what to expect. I haven’t been to Universal since I was a kid, but I’m excited about getting to see all the Harry Potter attractions.

I would have liked to stay there but when i check for December 12, all the UO hotels had zero availability. I just went ahead and added a night at AKV Jambo House but now I have BWV waitlist.

It may be too late, but I was able to book Endless Summer this weekend for 12/12 at the OI rate, so they may have opened up the room block.

It may be too late, but I was able to book Endless Summer this weekend for 12/12 at the OI rate, so they may have opened up the room block.

Thanks ! We added on to our Disney hotel. We added 2 nights at the Boardwalk and then 5 at Animal KIngdom VIllas JAMBO House

We will take a rideshare to Universal around 2:30pm on December 12

Thanks ! We added on to our Disney hotel. We added 2 nights at the Boardwalk and then 5 at Animal KIngdom VIllas JAMBO House

We will take a rideshare to Universal around 2:30pm on December 12
One thing to keep in mind is if park hits capacity, may have to wait a bit for entry. But this goes for everyone at that point. Hopefully not an issue on first weekend in Dec.

One thing to keep in mind is if park hits capacity, may have to wait a bit for entry. But this goes for everyone at that point. Hopefully not an issue on first weekend in Dec.
Orlando Informer has said that they’ve worked with Universal to ensure that all of the Meetup guests are included in the capacity count, so you shouldn’t have any issues parking or entering the parks as a meetup guest.

Orlando Informer has said that they’ve worked with Universal to ensure that all of the Meetup guests are included in the capacity count, so you shouldn’t have any issues parking or entering the parks as a meetup guest.

Thanks! I’ve been wondering about this, switched our stay from Cabana to Portofino for the EP from 3 til park close, but then panicked about not being able to get in at 3!

Awesome thanks for the info, we are going to hit the park early with our AP and EP, then head back to the resort, nap and chill then head back in later in afternoon/evening. This will be our first meetup and excited!

Trying not to get too excited, but the OI crowd calendar says "Slow" for 12/12, so hopefully capacity won't be an issue!

Hi there, I’m new to the forum. I‘ve learned a lot from reading your posts, thank you!

We have tickets for the OI meet-up for both 12/11 and 12/12. I noticed the Universal website had park hours listed as USF 12/11 9-5 and 12/12 8-7 and IOA 12/11 10-6 and 12/12 8-7. OI has 12/12 9-6. I emailed Universal and they responded today saying both parks are open 12/11 8-7 and 12/12 8-8 for general admission hours.

OI shows both days as slow. I hope that’s the case. Unfortunately, the Touring Plans folks have every Saturday listed as very busy based on recent crowds. I’m hoping we can get as many rides in on Friday so we can be a little less stressed on Saturday. We shall see. Excited nonetheless! We haven’t been there since 2016 and have never ridden Hogwarts Express.

Hi there, I’m new to the forum. I‘ve learned a lot from reading your posts, thank you!

We have tickets for the OI meet-up for both 12/11 and 12/12. I noticed the Universal website had park hours listed as USF 12/11 9-5 and 12/12 8-7 and IOA 12/11 10-6 and 12/12 8-7. OI has 12/12 9-6. I emailed Universal and they responded today saying both parks are open 12/11 8-7 and 12/12 8-8 for general admission hours.

OI shows both days as slow. I hope that’s the case. Unfortunately, the Touring Plans folks have every Saturday listed as very busy based on recent crowds. I’m hoping we can get as many rides in on Friday so we can be a little less stressed on Saturday. We shall see. Excited nonetheless! We haven’t been there since 2016 and have never ridden Hogwarts Express.

Honestly, I would expect the days to be very crowded.. but during the meetup it will definitely not be. At all. There will literally be areas of the park that are empty, and rides will be walk on. Enjoy!!

We went to the Meetup around this time last year (mid December), and the parks were so crowded before the day guests left that we opted to just sit in the Hagrid's line for 90 minutes on Saturday just to not deal with it. After the day guests left, there were seriously no wait times for anything but Hagrid's (which seemed to be anywhere from walk-on to an hour, depending on your luck that night). The Hogwarts Express might have a line this year due to Covid and everyone getting their own cabins, but I can't see if being more than 30 minutes still. We'll see! The Friday day crowds weren't as bad as Saturday, but still a noticeable difference. My advice would be that if a Harry Potter land feels crowded during the Meetup, take the Hogwarts Express to the other one and it'll be empty, cuz all the Potterheads are at the place you just left! ;) Pro tip right there.

And this year we get in even earlier! Last year we rode everything we wanted by the end of the night Friday, and Saturday we focused more on the food, shopping, and riding our favorites again. It's the best, we're spoiled now and might just do Meetups going forward.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter