OK guys - How Bad is it Going to Be?

ChloroformSdxn

Mouseketeer
I try my best to go during non-peak times, however, due to a confluence of circumstances this year, will be hitting the parks in and around Dec 31-Jan 5th. How bad will be it be in terms of crowds?

We'll likely be getting in the evening of the 31st, and I'll be with my 5 year old (so might not quite make it to midnight.) It looks like there's some space avail at Goofy's Grill etc so we might do that rather than going into the park. Are there any sort of early family NYE events happening?

NYE will be madness. Going to Goofy's instead of the parks might be a great plan.

We've been several times in the days after New Years and it wasn't too bad. All APs except the top level are still blocked out the rest of that week so that will definitely help.

NYE will be madness. Going to Goofy's instead of the parks might be a great plan.

We've been several times in the days after New Years and it wasn't too bad. All APs except the top level are still blocked out the rest of that week so that will definitely help.
Yeah, I figure they'll probably have something NYE-ish happening? I was thnking the park itself w a kid might be a bit much. I was sort of counting on the AP blockouts

DL is a zoo NYE. DCA however is a great time for NYE!
Is it significantly less crowded?

Yeah, I figure they'll probably have something NYE-ish happening? I was thnking the park itself w a kid might be a bit much. I was sort of counting on the AP blockouts

Those don’t make a difference on NYE.

From what I’ve read... Since you won’t arrive until nighttime don’t make any plans in DL. It’s entirely possible DL will be into gate closures at that point. Idk if DCA gets gate closures by nightfall.

Honestly, with a 5 yo in tow there is no way I’d brave the parks on NYE enterring at night. I concur with considereding dinner at Goofy’s at DLH to get a touch of Disney without the insanity...

I'm with everyone that says don't go in the park on NYE. 15 years ago I went to WDW and my now ex left by 8pm. It was soo loud and soo packed that it was no fun.

If your 5 year old is willing to stay up for the fireworks you can always watch them from the esplanade ( inbetween the 2 parks). You won't get the full affect but you will be able to see fireworks. Actually depending on where you are staying you may be able to see the fireworks from your hotel.

DCA...Yes, by evening it is typically no worse than a busy weekend. We have done the past several years at DCA mainly cuz DL is such a zoo.

The Midnight countdown show is also a lot of fun as well (rumor is WOC may be back Dec 5th so counting on NYE countdown returning!)

I say it'll be crowded and if you go in not expecting much or using maxpass with the right expectations, you'll have fun.

Why is it so crowded? Aren't the vast majority of annual pass holders blocked and isn't Disney jacking up the price for day tickets to suppress demand during Christmas? Are they not jacking up prices enough to suppress demand?

Why is it so crowded? Aren't the vast majority of annual pass holders blocked and isn't Disney jacking up the price for day tickets to suppress demand during Christmas? Are they not jacking up prices enough to suppress demand?
Obviously they aren’t “jacking up prices enough to suppress demand”. The experience is still worth it to thousands upon thousands of people or the park wouldn’t be packed to capacity year after year. For many, this is the only time of year they can squeeze together enough time off to go to Disneyland. So, while Xmas itself may be family only time NYE is time for the whole family to go out and party so if you’re gonna be a DL over that time anyway do it right. For others their dream way of starting out a New Year IS being at DL so day ticket it is.

TLDR: It’s hard to put a price on “experience” and that’s what Disneyland is. The experience of NYE at DL is worth what they are charging to the thousands who will pack the park to capacity that night.

Someone is getting married. How bad is it going to be?

Someone is having their first child. How bad is it going to be?

Someone is visiting Hawaii. How bad is it going to be?

Similar for Disneyland. Just about as bad. Or maybe about as good???

:cool:

Why is it so crowded? It's Disneyland during the holidays -- 'nuff said. (And when isn't it crowded nowadays?) Last year, the majority of APs were blocked over Christmas Week and New Year's, and DL still hit capacity several times. DLR does not need passholders to draw capacity crowds or to have gate closures. And raising prices doesn't seem to stop people from coming.

They will never raise prices enough to make NYE not crowded. Just b/c they price person X out, they'll be replaced by person Y.

We’ve gone on NYE the last couple years and had a great time! We have APs, so don’t feel compelled to do everything on our trips. I like NYE there because one of my kiddos can’t ever manage to stay up late (she’s 12 now), so we do the NY New Years and love being able to celebrate with the fireworks at 9

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter