ok now I'm mad

We get a great AP discount. Sure we all want a lot more. They gave us the DDP without buying tickets. They are trying for us.

jarestel said:
Well, if you think about it, this is just a little bit funny. We - DVC members - clamored for the right to be able to purchase the dining plan and once DVC got Disney to agree to this, they make it free for everyone else. :rotfl2:

Ok, I know nothing is actually free, but this is still funny. Next time we clamor, we should probably clamor for "free" stuff!
As i said previously, you just can't please people. You ask for the pay dining plan and they finally come through and it's not enough. Every single DVC member can take advantage of the free dining if they want by reserving on cash through CRO or Disney Travel and paying the requisite fees for the required items. Some did so last year with the free dining option.

This is little different than any business (phone, etc) giving a benefit or incentive to new customers but withholding it from existing customers.

I'm thrilled that they've offered us a buy-in to the dining plan and the DDE. That makes me happy because, really, they aren't entitled to give us these things.

Dizzy4Dizney said:
Also, DVC offers dining discounts, free valet parking, pool hopping, golf discounts, etc.
It appears pool hopping is for anyone with an oversized beach bag and a map of the bus system. I hope all these resorts are cracking down and checking ID. Pool hopping is one perk I see as a negative.

I just saw that the free dining can be booked online. Just for the fun of it, I put in 5 nights in late Aug for 1 adult, 1 12 year old, 1 one day base ticket each, "free" dining plan. BWV 1 bedroom = $2,422. We are going in June, staying on points (150), same room. Dining Plan is $380 for 5 nights for 2. I have to buy her a 6 day hopper = $257, I have an AP. Total = $637. I'm not complaining.

DebbieB said:
I just saw that the free dining can be booked online. Just for the fun of it, I put in 5 nights in late Aug for 1 adult, 1 12 year old, 1 one day base ticket each, "free" dining plan. BWV 1 bedroom = $2,422. We are going in June, staying on points (150), same room. Dining Plan is $380 for 5 nights for 2. I have to buy her a 6 day hopper = $257, I have an AP. Total = $637. I'm not complaining.
Not exactly. How much did you pay in dues this year?

LakeAriel said:
Not exactly. How much did you pay in dues this year?

Even if you add in the dues for the 150 points ($650) that is $1300 compared to $2400 with free Dining.

I just ran similar numbers for a late September stay in a studio at BCV for 5 nights and with a 1 day base, 2 Adults, stand. room the Free Dining would cost $323 more than points, and I value my points at $11 each.

We dont want to stay in a Value, so Free Dining would cost us alot more than staying on points.

I do agree it is an excellent value. It is just that often people say owners go to Disney for free or have no say because it's free etc and it is not. ;)

LakeAriel said:
I do agree it is an excellent value. It is just that often people say owners go to Disney for free or have no say because it's free etc and it is not. ;)

No, it's not free, but we all signed a contract when we bought. DVC owes us nothing that isn't in that contract. Any added perks and discounts (or access to a dining plan) are all gravy. I think DVC does a good job in this area. They don't HAVE to negotiate for or offer us any type of goodies, but they offer a pretty fair list of them.

Perks and discounts can come and go (and do). I'm happy with the basic DVC as it stands. It's a good deal all by itself.

DisFlan

CRSNDSNY said:
I'm thrilled that they've offered us a buy-in to the dining plan and the DDE. That makes me happy because, really, they aren't entitled to give us these things.

Are we (dvc'ers) allowed to purchase a DDE card? I thought you could only get that as a AP holder? I would love to buy one if I can!!

mommytomy3 said:
Are we (dvc'ers) allowed to purchase a DDE card? I thought you could only get that as a AP holder? I would love to buy one if I can!!

No, DDE is not available to DVC members who are not FL Residents or AP Holders.

Lake Ariel - yes, dues have to be considered and also the original cost. But DVC is still a good deal, we're still ahead vs the "free" dining.

Good lord who knew one little post would upset so many people. As I have already said yes, I am happy with DVC but sometimes I get excited that there are special offers sometimes. I know that DVC is a great deal! That is the reason I bought it. Like I said before I was just looking for an excuse to book another trip. I am very happy that they are at least offering the DDP to DVC members now. I for one have bought it for my next two trips. BTW I am glad that people did the math for me. I can see without a doubt that it is not really that good of a deal.

I feel that I was able to optimize both. I already had a reservation at POFQ for 4 days prior to checking in with my DVC points. The reason? Points over the weekend are HIGH! So this sudden free dining was a bonus! I gave up my AAA discount but am paying $70 more for the two of us to eat (very well) for 4 days. While at DVC I'll purchase the DDP. Win, win situation. :cool1:

Yes, the free dining plan is also available for DVC members as Dean mentioned. All you have to do is take advantage of it!

My family (sister and cousin) were planning on a visit to me here in NC in Sept. When the free dining came out, I suggested doing it at WDW and getting the free dining. So that is what we are doing. We made a reservation for ASM (pray for me...) for 3 adults and it is much less than it would have cost us at our DVC. We are saving the points and will enjoy the meals and each other. Life is good...

I am thrilled about the Free Dining. We are going for 8 nights the last week in August and staying at Pop Century. For $79+tax a night (plus having to purchase 1 one-day ticket which I'll just upgrade to season passes with the DVC discount I was going to buy anyway) we get free food for DH, DS15, DD14, and myself. When we go to BWV in February 2007, I'll be paying $152/day for our dining plan plus using my DVC points. What a deal for the August trip! It's like getting a room for free (small though it may be :lmao: )

AMEN! I second the $100 off of the annual pass. I just saved $400 on my car insurance, I mean my AP's!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotfl2:

DeerH

deerh said:
AMEN! I second the $100 off of the annual pass. I just saved $400 on my car insurance, I mean my AP's!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotfl2:

DeerH
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

MOQu said:
I am thrilled about the Free Dining. We are going for 8 nights the last week in August and staying at Pop Century. For $79+tax a night (plus having to purchase 1 one-day ticket which I'll just upgrade to season passes with the DVC discount I was going to buy anyway) we get free food for DH, DS15, DD14, and myself. When we go to BWV in February 2007, I'll be paying $152/day for our dining plan plus using my DVC points. What a deal for the August trip! It's like getting a room for free (small though it may be :lmao: )
...And depending on how you dine, you might just be better off using that AP do buy a DDE card for your next year's worth of trips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!