Okay Crafters... tell me I'm not the only one..

MeanLaureen

<font color=purple>Slam Dancer Extraordinaire<br><
As I was looking at all of my beads I was thinking how there are some beads I won't even use because they are "too pretty" and I want to keep them. Keep them for what? :confused3

Then I realized that I've done this with any craft I've ever started. I horde things that I like and use them like scrooge.

So how about you? Am I the only one that has a pile of special material you just can't seem to do anything with because you are "saving" it?

Is there a 12 step program for this??

For me that includes all the swaps I've done. :blush: The work is usually too good for my pages, so it sits in baggies looking pretty, but nobody gets to see it! :guilty:

That is why I appreciate the challenge that was put to us this weekend. I did scrap four pages, using some of the stuff from the secret swap, but nothing crafted yet.

I am an embellishment freak! Okay, I admitted it. I buy and buy and buy brads, eyelets, tag its, frame its, charms, ribbons, tags and so on and then hord them all! I can't help it, I just love to buy them even though I know I won't use them all. :blush:

Addiction...I NEED a 12 step program! :rotfl:

I finally made the tiniest step along the recovery process!

I'm such a horder. I love aything metalic. Charms, brads, eyelets, frames, doesn't matter. The problem is, those get expensive so I hate to "waste" them by using them.

This weekend I started onto my first mini book. This is one to keep about 10 things that make me smile, to refer to on those bad days. Because I know I'm going to use it to cheer myself up, I pulled out a pile of the goodies I've been stashing away and used them with abandon.

Guess what? It was more fun than looking at them in the drawer! Who knows, I might even get up the nerve to do it again.

Me too! I inherited it from my mother. :rolleyes1
Last year sometime I read an article that made me want to change. The author was in her attic going through some of the things that her mother had left her. She was reminiscing about all of the things that her mother "saved" until she was gone. She saved the "good china" for special occasions that rarely happened. She saved the beautiful candle for later. She saved so much that she never got to enjoy it. Since then, I've used those pretty bath beads that was a gift when I was pregnant with my 4 year old dd. I've used my china to "create" special occasions. And yes, I've pulled out some of those craft Items that are just too nice to use. Now, I've still got a lot of changing to go. I wish I'd used those water diapers even if it was just for the back yard, because now I've got Ariel water diapers that my son will wear this summer. If I'd used them for dd, ds could have those cute Nemo ones that would match his swim trunks. I wish I would have worn that special shirt, outfit, ______ (fill in the blank for whatever else you can think of) before it went out of style or I outgrew it. (That last one goes especially for children's clothes. Save that special outfit so that they only get to wear it once or twice or not at all. :sad2: )
Man, am I wordy today or what? lol

patchchild said:
This weekend I started onto my first mini book. This is one to keep about 10 things that make me smile, to refer to on those bad days. Because I know I'm going to use it to cheer myself up, I pulled out a pile of the goodies I've been stashing away and used them with abandon.
Great idea!

paper. I love basic grey and I just don't want to use it on "just any old page". kate

lewdyan1 said:
For me that includes all the swaps I've done. :blush: The work is usually too good for my pages, so it sits in baggies looking pretty, but nobody gets to see it! :guilty:

That is why I appreciate the challenge that was put to us this weekend. I did scrap four pages, using some of the stuff from the secret swap, but nothing crafted yet.

Yay Dyan!! :thumbsup2

Lauri, join our challenge this week!!!!! :banana:

patchchild said:
I finally made the tiniest step along the recovery process!

very cool!!!!!!!!! I want to do one of those sometime!!

MomOf2DisneyKids said:
Yay Dyan!! :thumbsup2

Lauri, join our challenge this week!!!!! :banana:

Ack! A challenge! Baby steps people, baby steps. I'm a crafter and an artist but I have never scrapped so I'm a scrapping virgin :teeth: :rotfl2:

Maybe that can be your next challenge.. teaching MeanLaureen how to be a full fledged scrapper! :teeth:

MeanLaureen said:
Ack! A challenge! Baby steps people, baby steps. I'm a crafter and an artist but I have never scrapped so I'm a scrapping virgin :teeth: :rotfl2:

Maybe that can be your next challenge.. teaching MeanLaureen how to be a full fledged scrapper! :teeth:

no, no, no!! I changed the title of the challenge to not just use a swap item, but to use something special that you've been saving!!!! So, no matter what craft you do, just use something you have been waiting for the "perfect time" for!!!!!!!!! :teeth:

MomOf2DisneyKids said:
no, no, no!! I changed the title of the challenge to not just use a swap item, but to use something special that you've been saving!!!! So, no matter what craft you do, just use something you have been waiting for the "perfect time" for!!!!!!!!! :teeth:

Ahh well that's different then! I will dig through my beads and *gasp* use some of my "too pretty to use" beads tonight :teeth:

:blush: :blush: :blush: Ummmm, I think that is why I have so much scrap stuff. Saving it for the perfect picture, page, idea, day....

I know, I need to realize that today is the perfect day, I already have the perfect pictures, and whatever I've saved will help make the perfect page!

Jeanne

I know what you mean about the Basic Grey paper. I love their styles but it seems so sad to cut into them. That was my other breakthrough with the mini-book. It's all from my Club Scrap stash. More very pretty, hard to break into materials.

I always do that, like using all beads or a kind except for one :P You think you'll use them as memories, and then you think: Keep enough for the memories, enough for no clutter.

Since I'm new to beading - I can't exactly answer that question yet but I think I've already bought some beads that I'll want to keep so I'll do my best to resist that urge!

But, there are still some of those "too nice too use" things from some of my other craft frenzys so I understand what you mean.

When my (ex)mil died, she had drawers of brand new clothes w/tags on that she was "saving" for a special occasion. That did teach me a lesson, temporarily though I think I might have forgotten it over the years.

I was guilty of this for the longest time. Then I read a quote in a scrapbooking magazine that said why buy it if you think it's too precious to use? You can always buy something else cute (this was another problem I had - "Oh, it will look better in [fill in the blank] layout than with these pictures") and hey, it's another excuse to go shopping.

I have favorite beads... but when I use them, I go right out and buy more of the same.

Go figure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter