Okay ladies, need some make up tips

maslex

DIS Veteran
Let me start off saying that back in the day, I was the type who NEVER went out of the house without makeup on. Then after having my boys, I completely stopped wearing it (except for the occasional wedding or special occasion). But for everyday.......I wore nothing. No foundation, no lip stick/gloss, no mascara, etc.

Well, my boys are now 21 & 23 and I've been thinking lately that I'd like to start wearing it again. Like on a daily basis. Nothing crazy, but I do need something that will even out my skin tone (I have some blotchiness) and then I would like some light color to give my face some life (blush, eye shadow, liner, etc) I am a very pale person to begin with so I'm not looking for full on heavy face makeup. So, any advice you can throw my way?

I would like a good foundation that will give me good coverage throughout the day. I desparately NEED something for the dark circles under my eyes.

Bye Bye Undereye by It Cosmetics is my favorite under-eye concealer. It is FULL coverage, so I recommend a primer underneath it and a setting powder on top of it so you don't get cakey. My favorite primer is Smashbox Photo Finish, and my favorite setting powder is the loose transluscent powder by Laura Mercier.

I'm not a fan of liquid foundations, so I use MAC Studio Fix pressed powder which gives me medium coverage. I also love MAC's blushes - Warm Soul is my favorite color, not too pinkish. I swear by Benefit mascaras - all are good, but I love their tinted primer with Bad Gal Bang mascara over it.

I recommend going to Sephora or Ulta and having one of the consultants there help you. Plus, the nice thing about these stores is that in addition to sampling things in-store, they can give you samples to bring home or they will let you return used products if you buy it and don't like it.

My advice is go to a Sephora and ask these questions. They are awesome at recommending products and giving samples.

An Ulta is another possibility, as is a local Nordstrom with makeup counters like MAC, Bobbi Brown, etc.

Everyone has different skin and needs, so advice from people online will not be as valuable as a one on one consultation. Your could elect to read/watch product reviews online and try the perspectives without testing first.

One person's perfect is another person's face rash. ;) Good makeup can be pricey, which is why I would advise you to try/test the products first unless you are very sure about them. Worth mentioning- don't assume you need a foundation, there are bbcreams that offer decent coverage/spf and will serve the same function with a good setting powder and spray- this is great for combatting the redness you mention. Good luck!

another vote for bye bye undereye. A little goes a LONG way. And by "a little" I mean a tiny amount. I also use the It cosmetics cc cream. It's not my favorite but I haven't found anything I like better (and again, a little goes a long way with it too, so i have a lot to get through before searching...then by the time it's empty I'm too lazy to try anything different, LOL)

Laura Mercier translucent setting powder and Diorshow mascara are my other must have products. Anything by tarte has also been great in my experience - love their eye pallettes and liners. Clinique blushes are good, but I often just pick up cheap cover girl ones for that.

One thing you can do is look at you tube videos. Given the ages of your kids I am assuming you are dealing with "more mature" skin. I am as well and you tube has lots of tutorials for people in their 40 and up. The techniques used by people in their 20's just don't work as well as we head toward middle age. Also you will find lots of people trying out the different brands and such. If you find someone with skin similar to yours you can really glean a lot of information.

Let me start off saying that back in the day, I was the type who NEVER went out of the house without makeup on. Then after having my boys, I completely stopped wearing it (except for the occasional wedding or special occasion). But for everyday.......I wore nothing. No foundation, no lip stick/gloss, no mascara, etc.

Well, my boys are now 21 & 23 and I've been thinking lately that I'd like to start wearing it again. Like on a daily basis. Nothing crazy, but I do need something that will even out my skin tone (I have some blotchiness) and then I would like some light color to give my face some life (blush, eye shadow, liner, etc) I am a very pale person to begin with so I'm not looking for full on heavy face makeup. So, any advice you can throw my way?

I would like a good foundation that will give me good coverage throughout the day. I desparately NEED something for the dark circles under my eyes.

Totally agree with most of the recommendations you've gotten, OP. I love makeup but prefer a lighter touch and use a mix of mid-priced and drugstore brands.

I recently switched from It's CC+ to Origins VitaZing and love how light it feels on my face. NYX Slide On, Glide On eyeliner is as good as Urban Decay's IMO, but I do spring for Benefit RollerLash mascara -- for me, the travel-size tube lasts quite awhile. Tarte's blushes are my favorite, with a huge range of shades, and I can't live without Burt's Bees tinted lip balm.

I love makeup from Sephora but I can’t afford to wear it every day so I save my expensive stuff for special occasions.

My everyday routine takes me 10 minutes to accomplish. BB cream from elf (I have a light shade and a dark shade I combine depending on how tan I am at the time). Concealer under my eyes and on my eyelids for a base. I then use covergirls peach punch pallet that has a highlighter, blush and bronzer. The highlighter goes on my eyes to set the concealer and above my cheek bones. Blush on my cheeks and the bronzer gets used as an eye shadow. Some setting spray, tinted lip balm, mascara and eyeliner and I am out the door.

Get a BB or CC cream, a cream eyeshadow(i have to say Mark Kay has a great one) Nice mascara (Loreal always a great choice)

Kae

Another option for the days that you only want some color but not full makeup is a tinted sunscreen. I use Solar Science MD tinted sunscreen, urban decay mascara and Pacifica lip balm on my lazy days.

So I am SUPER pale and also have some blotchiness. (I have mild rosacea on my cheeks.) My favorite fave products to counteract that are:

Stila One Step Correct primer. Nothing neutralizes my skin tone like this primer. It’s worth every penny.

Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay All Day foundation. Tons of shades and it lasts as long as the name suggests. I’ll apply it with a Beauty Blender or Real Techniques foundation brush, use Tarte maracuja creaseless concealer under my eyes and on any blemishes and then set the whole thing with NYX matte setting spray. This will last me a full summers day at Disney.

It’s really important to have a good skincare routine if you’re going to invest in makeup. I really like First Aid Beauty products.

If you have the budget, I think taking good care of your skin is most important, then makeup. I've been going to an esthetician at my dermatologists office to get 'facials'... not relaxing facials you get at a spa (which I really miss! but I can't afford both types), but peels, etc, and for me, it's really made a difference in my skin (unevenness, redness, pores, under eye darkness, etc). Then good creams/lotions, then minimal makeup.

I've been on the hunt for a good hydrating moisturizer that still won't give me adult acne and that doesn't cost an arm & a leg. So, I picked up a bunch of free samples. A lot of these products have great reviews. I figure I'll try them all to see which ones work for me. I read the ingredients of each one. They ALL say: dimethicone, dimethicone, dimethicone, or variations of strange sounding ingredients that end with -cone or -ane, one even said vinyl-dimethicone. :scared: Basically they all have a variation of silicone in them. The stuff that NASA invented to make their spaceships more durable. The stuff that potholders & kitchen utensils are made out of. The stuff that was in breast implants that, when leaked, made women so critically ill. Vinyl is the stuff that tablecloths & shower curtains are made out of. :scared: Yet, this form of silicone is supposed to be alright for us? :scared:

I don't think so.
thsmile-backingout.gif
We really don't know the long-term cumulative effects of absorbing this into our bodies every day. I have allergies to a lot of natural fruits. Yet, I'd still rather go with putting naturally derived ingredients that I am not allergic to than all this synthetic silicone stuff on my face. I've seen some reviewers have found silicone just sits on their face and peels off when dry. :crazy2: So it doesn't really dissolve. Neither sound good to me.

I finally found a great, 97% natural moisturizer, Garnier's SKINACIVE line. I use their green jar, the hydrating one, on my face, and the pink jar on my neck. (I got samples of both for testing at Target.) It works like that stuff in the Crepe Erase infomercials is supposed to, but for only $9 instead of $60. :p I rub it in well, let it sink in for several minutes then blot off the excess.

NOW, I'm on the hunt for a good foundation & concealer to wear every day too, that does NOT contain any silicone or parabens. THAT, seems to be much harder to do. Nearly EVERY liquid foundation now has dimethicone or some version of silicone in them. :headache: Silicone is a lubricant, a synthetic filler, stays in place all day, and it's cheap to make. So they put it in most foundations, especially the long wearing ones, as: it goes on smoothly, (the lubricant part,) fills in fine lines & uneven areas, (the synthetic filler part which doesn't break down & dissolve :crazy2: ) and stays long wearing (again because it doesn't break down & dissolve. :crazy2: )

I was a dedicated MAC girl. And even all of their foundations have silicone in them. :badpc:

I've been scouring the Internet & blogs and so far only found 2-3 liquid foundations have no silicone that people recommend. The one that has gotten the most good reviews so far is:

MILK Makeup Blur Liquid Matte Foundation.

Goes on looking great. BUT, most people say it's not long wearing. It NEEDS to be set with a transparent powder dusted on top. Yet about 6 hours later people notice a difference. AND it's not touch resistant, meaning it comes off easily if one touches it, or clothing rubs against it. (Again, that shows how silicone products don't dissolve & stay put. :scared: ) But, I'm old school, I always thought all makeup comes off too easily. :lmao:

The Milk Blur foundation IS at Sephora, so, when I get a chance, I'm going get a free sample and try it, wait to see how long it lasts on my face and if it oxidizes (turns orange after being applied.)

https://www.sephora.com/product/blur-liquid-matte-foundation-P421938?skuId=1965177&om_mmc=ppc-GG_1165716884_53825914740_pla-419047341254_1965177_257731948295_9004072_c

BTW, most powder foundations & blushers don't have silicone in them. Just the majority of liquid foundations. Many of the Bare Minerals products don't have silicone. But, for my face, it tends to be too dry & gritty. Especially as I need a hydrating moisturizer, putting dry powder on top, is going in reverse. :headache:

Then, I will be on the hunt for a natural sunscreen to wear on my face all day. Nearly all of them have silicone too - to be long wearing. I may have found one. But I still have to test it. So no recommendations yet.

If anyone else is interested in the few lists I've found for silicone free products, they are:

https://ricaishungry.com/2017/04/16...-recommendations-will-continue-to-be-updated/

http://www.productsproductsproducts.com/home/2017/3/1/dimethicone-free-products-master-list

Last edited:
I've been going to an esthetician at my dermatologists office to get 'facials'... not relaxing facials you get at a spa (which I really miss! but I can't afford both types), but peels, etc, and for me, it's really made a difference in my skin (unevenness, redness, pores, under eye darkness, etc). Then good creams/lotions, then minimal makeup.

I've been wondering about going to an esthetician or dermatologist. I have several millia bumps on my face, from trying different moisturizers that didn't work for me. They NEVER have gone away. NOW, I realize they are bumps of silicone, encapsulated under my skin. :headache: I've gotten a rid of a few by poking them with a pin an draining them. As that is the only way to get them out. But, that's supposed to be bad, as if one doesn't know what they are doing, like me, it can leave scarring. Some are way too deep under my skin.

How does one pick a good esthetician or dermatologist? Here, living in a huge city, anyone can hang up a shingle and call themselves a business, with very little right training or experience. And they may scar my skin worse than what I would do. :headache: :badpc:

I have darkish circles, curse of the fair skinned I guess. I don't like using a lot of makeup (foundations, primers, etc), but I found that illuminaters/illuminating moisturizers brighten your face and make you look less sullen. I just got a sample of GlamGlow in Nude Glow from Sephora and I like it for this purpose.

Others have mentioned Tarte- I use the cheek stain. You dab a dot on your cheek and blend it in for a very natural cheery glow.

DiorShow mascara is the best mascara I've ever used.

Becca has some pretty palettes of eye shadows. I've been using the Ombre Nudes which has 5 different shades of browns, but they come in various colors depending on your preference. You can mix them subtly or go dramatic as you please.

Since its been a while, you owe it to yourself to let a pro help you out. Also, look at YouTube and have fun. That is what makeup is all about!

I've been on the hunt for a good hydrating moisturizer that still won't give me adult acne and that doesn't cost an arm & a leg. So, I picked up a bunch of free samples. A lot of these products have great reviews. I figure I'll try them all to see which ones work for me. I read the ingredients of each one. They ALL say: dimethicone, dimethicone, dimethicone, or variations of strange sounding ingredients that end with -cone or -ane, one even said vinyl-dimethicone. :scared: Basically they all have a variation of silicone in them. The stuff that NASA invented to make their spaceships more durable. The stuff that potholders & kitchen utensils are made out of. The stuff that was in breast implants that, when leaked, made women so critically ill. Vinyl is the stuff that tablecloths & shower curtains are made out of. :scared: Yet, this form of silicone is supposed to be alright for us? :scared:

I don't think so.
thsmile-backingout.gif
We really don't know the long-term cumulative effects of absorbing this into our bodies every day. I have allergies to a lot of natural fruits. Yet, I'd still rather go with putting naturally derived ingredients that I am not allergic to than all this synthetic silicone stuff on my face. I've seen some reviewers have found silicone just sits on their face and peels off when dry. :crazy2: So it doesn't really dissolve. Neither sound good to me.

I finally found a great, 97% natural moisturizer, Garnier's SKINACIVE line. I use their green jar, the hydrating one, on my face, and the pink jar on my neck. (I bought both for testing.) It works like that stuff in the Crepe Erase infomercials is supposed to, but for only $9 instead of $60. :p

NOW, I'm on the hunt for a good foundation & concealer to wear every day too, that does NOT contain any silicone or parabens. THAT, seems to be much harder to do. Nearly EVERY liquid foundation now has dimethicone or some version of silicone in them. :headache: Silicone is a lubricant, a synthetic filler, stays in place all day, and it's cheap to make. So they put it in most foundations, especially the long wearing ones, as: it goes on smoothly, (the lubricant part,) fills in fine lines & uneven areas, (the synthetic filler part which doesn't break down & dissolve :crazy2: ) and stays long wearing (again because it doesn't break down & dissolve. :crazy2: )

I was a dedicated MAC girl. And even all of their foundations have silicone in them. :badpc:

I've been scouring the Internet & blogs and so far only found 2-3 liquid foundations have no silicone that people recommend. The one that has gotten the most good reviews so far is:

MILK Makeup Blur Liquid Matte Foundation.

Goes on looking great. BUT, most people say it's not long wearing. It NEEDS to be set with a transparent powder dusted on top. Yet about 6 hours later people notice a difference. AND it's not touch resistant, meaning it comes off easily if one touches it, or clothing rubs against it. (Again, that shows how silicone products don't dissolve & stay put. :scared: ) But, I'm old school, I always thought all makeup comes off too easily. :lmao:

The Milk Blur foundation IS at Sephora, so, when I get a chance, I'm going get a free sample and try it, wait to see how long it lasts on my face and if it oxidizes (turns orange after being applied.)

https://www.sephora.com/product/blur-liquid-matte-foundation-P421938?skuId=1965177&om_mmc=ppc-GG_1165716884_53825914740_pla-419047341254_1965177_257731948295_9004072_c

BTW, most powder foundations & blushers don't have silicone in them. Just the majority of liquid foundations. Many of the Bare Minerals products don't have silicone. Bur, for my face, it tends to be too dry & gritty. Especially as I need a hydrating moisturizer, putting dry powder on top, is going in reverse. :headache:

Then, I will be on the hunt for a natural sunscreen to wear on my face all day. Nearly all of them have silicone too - to be long wearing. I may have found one. But I still have to test it. So no recommendations yet.

If anyone else is interested in the few lists I've found for silicone free products, they are:

https://ricaishungry.com/2017/04/16...-recommendations-will-continue-to-be-updated/

http://www.productsproductsproducts.com/home/2017/3/1/dimethicone-free-products-master-list

This was so informative.

I use Josie Maran Argan Daily Moisterizer SPF 47 for days that I know I'll be outdoors. I love the texture, protection, coverage, and it smells good. I checked the ingredients and as far as I can tell- it looks okay. I'm allergic to both vinyl and parabens and haven't reacted to this product.

I have the most sensitive skin on earth. The only moisturizer I can use is vaseline. Yep, that's right. Keeps me from flaking and doesn't break me out. I apply it, let it sit for 20 minutes or so at night, then blot it off. In the morning after my shower, I let it sit on there for about 10 minutes, then towel off and apply makeup.

I've used Bare Minerals for years, despite having very dry skin. Does a great job at getting rid of redness and blotches and not feeling heavy. For liquid makeup, I do have a bottle of Chanel foundation that works good, but it's heavy. If I wear it more than a few days, I get a little rash.

I have somewhat dark circles but it's mainly an indentation that I have rather than severe darkness. I've tried the IT concealer mentioned here but I don't think it did a good job for me. My favorite concealer was a palette by Sonia Kuschiak (Target). They just stopped production of that makeup line so I'm searching for another and it's not been good (have used IT, Benefit, Tarte, ELF and still no luck).

I like the Urban Decay line for eye shadows and blush. I always get compliments on my skin tone when I wear one of the Urban Decay pink blush colors. NARS blush is very natural also.

I use Josie Maran Argan Daily Moisterizer SPF 47 for days that I know I'll be outdoors. I love the texture, protection, coverage, and it smells good. I checked the ingredients and as far as I can tell- it looks okay. I'm allergic to both vinyl and parabens and haven't reacted to this product.

I just checked the Sephora page for the ingredients. It lists it as having: Cyclopentasiloxane, Polysilicone-11

Both of those are silicones. :(

But check the label on your bottle, as Sephora may have the wrong ingredients listed. OR the company have have changed the ingredients.

https://www.sephora.com/product/argan-daily-moisturizer-spf-47-P385679

The sunscreen I'm currently looking at is: Damascus Rose SPF 25 Face Sunscreen Lotion. On a list of no silicone sunscreens, it came out listed first. It does use all natural zinc oxide as the sunscreen ingredient. But it's a non-nano version, where the particles are so small that it doesn't make the face all white. :thumbsup2 Even Amazon has good reviews on it. (Don't confuse it with the Badger Broad Spectrum 25 SPF, which is for the body and does leave a bit of whiteness.)

You can read about bot products on a list of NO Silicone sunscreens here:

http://www.organicauthority.com/31-best-natural-sunscreens-of-2017

I like the BB-type "foundations" (tbh I just make my own by mixing foundation with moisturizer lol) since they're more lightweight. you can use it on areas, instead of covering your whole face, and it doesn't look weird.
A few coats of mascara, sometimes a little eyebrow fill-in. Then I usually take a golden shimmery eyeshadow to my lids (darker in the outer corners), my cheekbones, along my collarbones, the tip of my nose, and right below the hairline on my forehead for sun-kissed highlighty touch of color. Lip balm or gloss. Super fast, easy, and only requires like 4 products.

I've been on the hunt for a good hydrating moisturizer that still won't give me adult acne and that doesn't cost an arm & a leg.
ever tried jojoba oil? It's the only thing I've tried that was absolutely perfect. Soaked right in, smelled and felt so nice, and didn't cause breakouts. And that's impressive bc literally everything makes me breakout!
A lot of times I'd mix a drop of an essential oil in it before applying. Frankincense for wrinkles, orange for vitamin c, tea tree for extra acne fighting. It's wonderful on its own tho, too. Apparently it's very similar to the natural sebum we produce, which is why it works so well. It's inexpensive and, since you only need a few drops, a bottle lasts a long time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter