OKW buildings 30-33 are occupied as of today!

Interestingly, I watched a program the other day where they were looking at houses in Key West. Every house had bright colors inside. They looked like the Old Key West villas USED TO look, sadly not now. A lot was made of the wood (I forget what it's called) that used to be on the walls in the villas also.
Too bad the designer for this project didn't watch that show, too. We visited CCV and the cabins and they had such unique décor inside the units. Like we used to have at OKW. When they do the same to AKV and GFV, I guess I won't complain any more. Strip the theming from the inside.

I miss the pickled wood in the bathroom and dining area, too.

I think DVC is making the sold out resorts as generic as possible to slow the demand on the resale market. Hoping to make the 'newer' resorts look more attractive. Beware buyers, those new resorts will go generic on the remodel for the same reason.

Last edited:
I think DVC is making the sold out resorts as generic as possible to slow the demand on the resale market. Hopping to make the 'newer' resorts look more attractive. Be ware buyers, those new resorts will go generic on the remodel for the same reason.

Now that is a really feasible theory !
Make the old DVC resorts look like any old Holiday Inn Express.

You want the "whole" wrap yourself in Disney magic experience ....... gotta buy new !

I think DVC is making the sold out resorts as generic as possible to slow the demand on the resale market. Hoping to make the 'newer' resorts look more attractive. Beware buyers, those new resorts will go generic on the remodel for the same reason.
Very different and probably correct theory. Wow. Never would have thought of that myself!

Looks like they got rid of the art work that was created for OKW and replaced it with generic big box beach art.

There may be some truth to that, though I would look at it a little differently. For a new resort, Disney is paying the bill. Disney pays to have any artwork commissioned, decor mass produced, installed, etc. That's part of the initial development cost.

For a refurb, the full cost is paid by owners. Whatever it would take to design, produce and maintain new items for the villa interiors comes out of member dues. With so much pressure to keep dues under control, is it a surprise if they choose to pinch the budget on some of those items?

I can' view them via the Photobucket link could anyone pop up some living and bedroom pics? Thanks so much

For a refurb, the full cost is paid by owners. Whatever it would take to design, produce and maintain new items for the villa interiors comes out of member dues. With so much pressure to keep dues under control, is it a surprise if they choose to pinch the budget on some of those items?

The last time a purchased paint for my home, there was no additional cost to have a color added to that basic white paint. Why didn't DVC listen to the owners and keep the same theming/design we purchased, it should not cost them anything additional.

There may be some truth to that, though I would look at it a little differently. For a new resort, Disney is paying the bill. Disney pays to have any artwork commissioned, decor mass produced, installed, etc. That's part of the initial development cost.

Pastel or bright colors do not cost more than white though.

The last time a purchased paint for my home, there was no additional cost to have a color added to that basic white paint. Why didn't DVC listen to the owners and keep the same theming/design we purchased, it should not cost them anything additional.

As a Landlord myself, I do kind of understand a generic color for all resorts. Storing touch up paint that can be used at any location is cheaper and easier. Property managers encourage landlords to pick a neutral color for use in all their properties. The interiors of my 4 duplexes and one rent house are all the same neutral color...

Last edited:

I was referring to artwork and fixtures, of course.

As for "listening to the owners", DVC did go through several waves of design tests, seeking feedback from guests. Hard telling what feedback comes from those previews. I do not believe that feedback on the model rooms was 100% negative, nor do I believe that every owner wanted the rooms to retain the 27-year old style & palette. Design standards and tastes change over time.

Knee-jerk internet reaction to the Boardwalk refurb was negative. Other than the light that hangs somewhat awkwardly in studio rooms, this owner likes the refurb.

Looks like they got rid of the art work that was created for OKW and replaced it with generic big box beach art.
I'd love to buy some of those shell pictures for my home in SW Florida. And I just wish the designer had gone to Key West before finalizing the colors and décor. I do think BillPA is right about making the older resorts generic to get people to spend money on the new ones instead.

Pastel or bright colors do not cost more than white though.
I have read reviews where people complained about the pastel and bright colors.
They didn’t know they were traditional Key West colors and thought they were outdated, 1980s Miami Vice colors. This was even just after the last update.

It's too bad they don't ask owners of the resorts, especially the long time owners, to review the design. If you don't own there, you should have no say in what goes in there. I wish they had a few mockups that they would have sent out to long time owners of DVC. Or at least a survey of what they liked and didn't like about the existing décor.

It's too bad they don't ask owners of the resorts, especially the long time owners, to review the design. If you don't own there, you should have no say in what goes in there. I wish they had a few mockups that they would have sent out to long time owners of DVC. Or at least a survey of what they liked and didn't like about the existing décor.

Nah, they wouldn't do that-it makes too much sense.:rolleyes:

My wife and I have owned OKW since 1993, we did a tour of the 1st try at a refurb in building 11, basically didn't think much of many of the changes. We spoke with the OKW managers several times. They did make changes from that 1st tour, but would not let us see the latest version on a later trip. I assume they knew we would still not be happy.

I just read a view of Boardwalk Villas on TripAdvisor where someone was calling it too old fashioned in style. So in many ways DVC can't win, style it traditionally or to a theme and it's old fashioned or gaudy, modern and it's lost its charm.

I just read a view of Boardwalk Villas on TripAdvisor where someone was calling it too old fashioned in style. So in many ways DVC can't win, style it traditionally or to a theme and it's old fashioned or gaudy, modern and it's lost its charm.
That's when I want to smack that someone upsides their head and tell them "THAT'S THEMING".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter