OKW buildings 30-33 are occupied as of today!

Not necessarily. Remember, a few years ago there were a lot of owners that wanted a sofa/bed layout in OKW studios. Not all owners agree on theming, room layout or amenities. And not all owners wanted the OKW pool slide, either.

If you don't own there, you should have no say in what goes in there

I own at BLT, but I think I should be able to "have a say" about any DVC resort.

Also, I lot of people are calling this remodel "bland."

What is bland about it? I only looked at the 8 (or so) pictures posted on page 2, but I didn't notice anything terribly different, other than the sinks and the stainless steel stuff.

What is bland about it?

Did you notice the wall paint colors? Probably not, because they are definitely bland. OKW, as is the real Key West, was known for its colorful pastels and interiors. Disney used to actually theme the resorts to match their back story. It would be like removing the horse theme from Saratoga or the Pacific Island theme from the Polynesian.

This, though not at OKW, is Key West theming:

72c4025b1c12655bd2cb5098c81889bf.jpg

Did you notice the wall paint colors? Probably not, because they are definitely bland. OKW, as is the real Key West, was known for its colorful pastels and interiors. Disney used to actually theme the resorts to match their back story. It would be like removing the horse theme from Saratoga or the Pacific Island theme from the Polynesian.

This, though not at OKW, is Key West theming:

72c4025b1c12655bd2cb5098c81889bf.jpg

I love this! Just curious-where is it?

And actually, the new OKW bathroom design is fine...but the bland gray color palette? Really, look at the difference just a little color would make:

83571de4cb2f90390e611b2c8f2ab856--beach-themes-ocean-themes.jpg

Last edited:
The lack of a back splash in the kitchen is weird. They could've added a nice pop of color with that. Right now, based on the limited photos that have been posted, the Vero Beach renovation has more color to it then the OKW one, which is disappointing.

The lack of a back splash in the kitchen is weird. They could've added a nice pop of color with that. Right now, based on the limited photos that have been posted, the Vero Beach renovation has more color to it then the OKW one, which is disappointing.
The lack of backsplash is more than weird, it lacks functionality. With the heavy use those Villas get, that kitchen wall is going to get gross quickly. I’m in a one bedroom in April. Curious to see if the backsplash will be in should I get a renovated room. If it isn’t, I’ll provide feedback to MS, although it probably won’t make a difference.

How far along are they now?

I agree on the backsplash. When they put in the granite tops, they didn't need to get a matching backsplash because they left the original tile. Then they took out the tile with this rehab. And a gray bathroom?!... It is like a California urbanite who never cooks tried to design for Florida, not realizing the two coasts each have distinct design preferences and styles.

Last edited:
It's too bad they don't ask owners of the resorts, especially the long time owners, to review the design. If you don't own there, you should have no say in what goes in there. I wish they had a few mockups that they would have sent out to long time owners of DVC. Or at least a survey of what they liked and didn't like about the existing décor.

Hopefully, they would ask any owner of the resort whether they are a new owner or an original buyer. I don't think the owners that have owned points longer should have more of a say how a resort is remodeled.

And actually, the new OKW bathroom design is fine...but the bland gray color palette? Really, look at the difference just a little color would make:

83571de4cb2f90390e611b2c8f2ab856--beach-themes-ocean-themes.jpg

Chuck, when are you going to apply to be a resort room designer for Disney? Honestly, I'd be so thrilled to see the rooms you've posted, especially that living room/kitchen combination. I just saw a picture of the actual living room, and between the new rug, and the fact that they left the ugly-topped coffee table, it looks awful to me!

I think there is a backsplash isn't there- either glass or plastic material? I have glass in mine at home, same colour as BLTs :-)

I'm pretty sure it's glass or polymere on the wall. Apparently the SSR manager told someone at the member's meeting they were getting rid of grout at SSR as well in the revamp.
Makes sense, easier to keep clean and looks like new forever if it's glass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter