OKW Direct - Good idea???

Spinster Travel

Mouseketeer
For no good reason other than the fear of missing out on direct benefits, I've been giving thought to purchasing 100 points direct from Disney for Old Key West and then adding on points at Boulder Ridge or the Boardwalk (BW primarily to have home court advantage for F&W festival reservations). This was a suggestion from another member in the DVC Fan FB group, but goes against my initial thoughts of "buy where I want to stay". Initially my plan was to buy all my points resale at Boulder Ridge, but the more research I conduct the more I change my mind. The benefit to OKW over other properties Direct is the price per point and the 2057 expiration. My main concern is that I'm not sure I'd really ever want to stay at OKW as I've not stayed there before. I do like the idea that if I was "stuck" there, I'd have a large studio option with 2 Queen Beds....its really the location of the resort that bothers me. Anyone else out there given this a thought?

For no good reason other than the fear of missing out on direct benefits, I've been giving thought to purchasing 100 points direct from Disney for Old Key West and then adding on points at Boulder Ridge or the Boardwalk (BW primarily to have home court advantage for F&W festival reservations). This was a suggestion from another member in the DVC Fan FB group, but goes against my initial thoughts of "buy where I want to stay". Initially my plan was to buy all my points resale at Boulder Ridge, but the more research I conduct the more I change my mind. The benefit to OKW over other properties Direct is the price per point and the 2057 expiration. My main concern is that I'm not sure I'd really ever want to stay at OKW as I've not stayed there before. I do like the idea that if I was "stuck" there, I'd have a large studio option with 2 Queen Beds....its really the location of the resort that bothers me. Anyone else out there given this a thought?
If you never plan to stay at OKW and your home resort points are OKW points, you have lost the 11 month head start to book. Buy the resort you would most like to stay at if you cannot change at seven months out. It is getting more difficult to book at seven months out, especially studios.

I like OKW for the two queen beds in the studio (it's the only studio we'll stay in) and because it is really close to Epcot. The bus ride is only a few minutes once you leave the resort. If you want to stay at a resort walking distance to Epcot for F&W or F&G, you'll want to buy one of those. The Skyliner can be a help to get there and so does the monorail (once it starts going to Epcot again). So you could also consider a MK resort or Riviera. You should be able to book OKW at seven months out most of the year (not early Dec, the studios get booked up long before seven months out). BRV is a bus ride to Epcot, MK (also the boat), AK and DHS.

My recommendation is to buy where you want to stay. Other consideration is that you need less points for studio at OKW compared to others, and then you won’t have enough points equivalent someplace else. So if you intend to stay elsewhere you need more points and then the costs savings is less. Most people I have read that bought OKW love it.

I think people are missing the concept of buying at OKW simply because its the least expensive direct resort at WDW right?

Buying at BWV is not the best idea because it will likely take you 10 years to break even and at that point you only have 10 years of benefit (breakeven might even be worse now because its cheaper).

I have thought about OKW/SSR as well in the past. CCV is also a good option and would be perfect to pair with your BRV simply because even if you catch switch at 7 months they are both in the same resort allowing you to just leave your bags with bell service.

While CCV is going to be more expensive it also has a much longer period. I pulled out of a CCV contract earlier this month and glad I did because there is currently zero benefits of a direct contract with no AP and even the moonlight events are getting cancelled. They likely will return but always a chance they wont.

Downside of OKW is also high MFs while SSR is 3 years less but less MFs.

One thing you might want to consider is how "rentable" the points are you're thinking of buying. OKW is not a popular rental and won't give you a good price per point in the rental market. I points this out because there will probably be a day when you will want to rent some of your points, and having a more desirable resort for a rental is always nice to have in your back pocket. IMO, I'd look at CCV or Poly. These resorts don't have the resale restrictions of Riviera (in the event you want to sell down the line). You could also get a fixed week at CCV during a holiday time (you'd have to check with your guide on what's available) -- that takes the headache out of having to "fight" to get those popular times for booking and you can still cancel your fixed week booking and use your points elsewhere if you choose.

I know you're in this for the long haul, but think about your exit strategy too. Rentals and desirability of resort IMO should be considered when buying.

Good luck with your decision! It's a hard/big decision for sure.

OKW is a beautifully landscaped, tropical oasis at WDW and should not be overlooked. The balconies are nicely furnished and we've always had great privacy and views. You walk up to your door which is a great thing after a long day at the parks and especially nice if you have a car. Villas are large, light and airy and we've stayed in every size villa. We just added on BRV but love OKW and our adult son and DIL enjoy it for all the reasons we do. Turtle Pond area is the best IMO if you have a car, otherwise we try to be near HH. You might just be surprised!

Edit: I've rented OKW many times and though now is a different "time", people rent it because they love it.

Last edited:
One thing you might want to consider is how "rentable" the points are you're thinking of buying. OKW is not a popular rental and won't give you a good price per point in the rental market. I points this out because there will probably be a day when you will want to rent some of your points, and having a more desirable resort for a rental is always nice to have in your back pocket. IMO, I'd look at CCV or Poly. These resorts don't have the resale restrictions of Riviera (in the event you want to sell down the line). You could also get a fixed week at CCV during a holiday time (you'd have to check with your guide on what's available) -- that takes the headache out of having to "fight" to get those popular times for booking and you can still cancel your fixed week booking and use your points elsewhere if you choose.

I know you're in this for the long haul, but think about your exit strategy too. Rentals and desirability of resort IMO should be considered when buying.

Good luck with your decision! It's a hard/big decision for sure.
Thanks Carolyn - I agree with your assessment on RR. It is a non-starter for me with the resale restrictions. While I don't intend to see anytime soon, I know that things happen and if I were selling, I'd want to have an attractive contract to have out there.

OKW is a beautifully landscaped, tropical oasis at WDW and should not be overlooked. The balconies are nicely furnished and we've always had great privacy and views. You walk up to your door which is a great thing after a long day at the parks and especially nice if you have a car. Villas are large, light and airy and we've stayed in every size villa. We just added on BRV but love OKW and our adult son and DIL enjoy it for all the reasons we do. Turtle Pond area is the best IMO if you have a car, otherwise we try to be near HH. You might just be surprised!

Edit: I've rented OKW many times and though now is a different "time", people rent it because they love it.
Barring current times with Covid -- obviously, every DVC resort is "rentable." The low point structure at OKW makes it popular with some because lower points keeps the cost down. SSR & OKW have very similar point charts.

If the OP likes OKW and enjoys that resort, I'd be "in" on buying there. Budget has to be considered too, so if it is in the budget, then that makes sense. It never hurts to have an exit strategy on any real estate you buy. Just something to ponder for the OP.

Buying at BWV is not the best idea because it will likely take you 10 years to break even and at that point you only have 10 years of benefit (breakeven might even be worse now because its cheaper).
I don’t have a direct purchase at boardwalk or beach club ever breaking even vs renting points. In fact, neither is particularly close.

Edit: for that matter, I don’t have Boulder Ridge ever breaking even vs renting either.

In all 3 cases, obtaining multiple Gold APs Every year would change the math substantially to the positive. However as this benefit is not guaranteed to be offered in the future, I’d advise leaving it out of your personal calculations, or at least discounting it heavily.

I do show OKW direct breaking even vs renting. Eventually. Again the AP/other benefits can change that math.

Last edited:
So I like having direct benefits. Do they pay out, I don’t know. But the 10% off at restaurants and stores is nice, and the AP discounts (although not guaranteed) to me and my family are a big savings.
But I’ll throw a curve ball, if you are buying 100 points why not buy RIV? It’s a few thousand more, but the contract is significantly longer, you can rent RIV points for more, and having a booking advantage at RIV is better than OKW. We don’t really know what RIV resale will be, but we have seen contracts selling at $140, where OKW May get you $100, so either way you are upside down on resale, but less so on RIV.

So I like having direct benefits. Do they pay out, I don’t know. But the 10% off at restaurants and stores is nice, and the AP discounts (although not guaranteed) to me and my family are a big savings.
But I’ll throw a curve ball, if you are buying 100 points why not buy RIV? It’s a few thousand more, but the contract is significantly longer, you can rent RIV points for more, and having a booking advantage at RIV is better than OKW. We don’t really know what RIV resale will be, but we have seen contracts selling at $140, where OKW May get you $100, so either way you are upside down on resale, but less so on RIV.
I've eliminated Riviera based on the resale restrictions. While I don't intend to sell my contract, I do want the ability to sell it in the event something drastic were to occur. I just wish some of the direct price points were a tad more sensible. At this point in the game, I'm certainly overthinking it:)

Man o man, have we been going back and forth on an OKW direct purchase as well. The direct price for a small contract (<100 points) is much closer to the resale price for those same small contracts than other DVC resorts. I made a whole comparison, but don't have it in front of me now. And the 2057 expiration come with direct, which is hard to find resale. Buying two 50 point contracts direct, same use year, is more and more tempting. You could always add on resale at those other resorts you'd like the 11 month advantage at. Best of luck to you!! Keep thinking it through!

Man o man, have we been going back and forth on an OKW direct purchase as well. The direct price for a small contract (<100 points) is much closer to the resale price for those same small contracts than other DVC resorts. I made a whole comparison, but don't have it in front of me now. And the 2057 expiration come with direct, which is hard to find resale. Buying two 50 point contracts direct, same use year, is more and more tempting. You could always add on resale at those other resorts you'd like the 11 month advantage at. Best of luck to you!! Keep thinking it through!

I think the concept is that many people don't want to stay at OKW so its more so a comparison between getting a resort that you want vs OKW that you will use as SAP.

If you wanted to stay at OKW its a no brainer to just bite the bullet and get at least 100 direct IMO.

Whatever you decide; buy the resale portion first. Disney will match the use year with a direct add on. If you buy direct 1st, and want a matching use year, you limit the contract choices.

Yup great point especially with prices going down you might find a killer deal on a OCT UY as an example but if you already bought a SEPT UY direct it would stink to have to go through that decision process.

Whatever you decide; buy the resale portion first. Disney will match the use year with a direct add on. If you buy direct 1st, and want a matching use year, you limit the contract choices.
When push comes to shove if the OP wants a different UY other than the one DVD is pushing/selling, and insists on a particular UY, DVD will sell you that UY. I had this situation happen to me. If DVD can accommodate (based on whether that UY is sold out or not) they will. They aren't going to lose a direct sale over a UY -- especially if DVD can give the buyer what they want.

What are they charging for OKW direct right now?
As of 3/12/2020
OKW sells for $156pp with a minimum of a 50 point purchase as a new buyer and 25 points for an add-on.

HHI is at $121pp -- yes, it has higher dues, but it is a terrific resort and has many loyal followers (and good rentals in the high demand summer months). I think a December UY for HHI is perfect for both use and rentals at HHI. Spinster Travel -- how do you feel about HHI?

As of 3/12/2020
OKW sells for $156pp with a minimum of a 50 point purchase as a new buyer and 25 points for an add-on.

HHI is at $121pp -- yes, it has higher dues, but it is a terrific resort and has many loyal followers (and good rentals in the high demand summer months). I think a December UY for HHI is perfect for both use and rentals at HHI. Spinster Travel -- how do you feel about HHI?
Having gone to college in SC, I love HHI and I must say after MANY glasses of wine last night, I am now considering those options as well. Seriously - 2 months ago I was dead set on buying BR resale. Period. The more research I do the more I consider just about everything. LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!