OKW Direct - Good idea???

Just throwing an update to this, now old, thread for those who might be curious. When I started this discussion back in July; I was set on buying BR resale and contemplating OKW at 100 points direct to get the Blue Card. BR was on my mind as the cheapest resale where I thought I'd like to stay as a home resort and while I was considering OKW direct I had no intention of ever staying there. Fast forward months and here is what I have winded up with owing:

120 Points Resale at the Poly and just added on 25 points Direct at OKW. What changed?

For one I continued to crunch numbers non stop over the summer and realized for the cost per point over the remaining life of the contract, BR was not the best "deal". The Poly has always been my favorite resort as it was our first stay back in 1984. I found a great resale contract in August and closed in September. Two weeks ago, we stayed (on rental points) at OKW and really liked it. The rooms are so big and while I prefer a monorail resort, I'd be totally happy if I got "stuck" at OKW. Going in to that trip, I had planned to buy a small Direct add-on at BWV with the intention of using it every 2 years for F&W but when I got back, I decided to buy at OKW instead. The cost per point just makes more sense especially given the 2057 expiration date. My plan is to add on small direct contracts with the intention of getting to the 125 (hopefully they don't increase that next year to 150 - which would not surprise me at all).

So the moral of the story, for anyone who might still be trying to figure out their own purchases, is to run the numbers and take your time. It really did take me months to figure this out!

Just throwing an update to this, now old, thread for those who might be curious. When I started this discussion back in July; I was set on buying BR resale and contemplating OKW at 100 points direct to get the Blue Card. BR was on my mind as the cheapest resale where I thought I'd like to stay as a home resort and while I was considering OKW direct I had no intention of ever staying there. Fast forward months and here is what I have winded up with owing:

120 Points Resale at the Poly and just added on 25 points Direct at OKW. What changed?

For one I continued to crunch numbers non stop over the summer and realized for the cost per point over the remaining life of the contract, BR was not the best "deal". The Poly has always been my favorite resort as it was our first stay back in 1984. I found a great resale contract in August and closed in September. Two weeks ago, we stayed (on rental points) at OKW and really liked it. The rooms are so big and while I prefer a monorail resort, I'd be totally happy if I got "stuck" at OKW. Going in to that trip, I had planned to buy a small Direct add-.on at BWV with the intention of using it every 2 years for F&W but when I got back, I decided to buy at OKW instead. The cost per point just makes more sense especially given the 2057 expiration date. My plan is to add on small direct contracts with the intention of getting to the 125 (hopefully they don't increase that next year to 150 - which would not surprise me at all).

So the moral of the story, for anyone who might still be trying to figure out their own purchases, is to run the numbers and take your time. It really did take me months to figure this out!
I think that's a great plan! I love the Poly, but the lack of 2-bedroom units makes it impractical for my family. And I LOVE OKW! I originally set out to buy an OKW extended contract, but they're in short supply and Disney has been buying back a lot of the OKW contracts through ROFR. I'm waiting on ROFR now for an AKL contract (one of my favorite resorts) and already researching some add-on options for the future. I know a lot of people are down on OKW, but I have no issues in staying at that resort. The rooms are huge and comfortable!

For one I continued to crunch numbers non stop over the summer and realized for the cost per point over the remaining life of the contract, BR was not the best "deal". The Poly has always been my favorite resort as it was our first stay back in 1984. I found a great resale contract in August and closed in September. Two weeks ago, we stayed (on rental points) at OKW and really liked it. The rooms are so big and while I prefer a monorail resort, I'd be totally happy if I got "stuck" at OKW. Going in to that trip, I had planned to buy a small Direct add-on at BWV with the intention of using it every 2 years for F&W but when I got back, I decided to buy at OKW instead. The cost per point just makes more sense especially given the 2057 expiration date. My plan is to add on small direct contracts with the intention of getting to the 125 (hopefully they don't increase that next year to 150 - which would not surprise me at all).

Congratulations!! You hav a plan in the works and it will work for you. Glad you liked OKW too :)

I've been struggling with the same sort of thing. I was a resale only person and we have AKV resale which I love. But I've started having fomo/direct-envy. I'm starting to think APs would be nice (Especially if we have more points) and everything that comes with them, and DVC just keeps upping the minimum direct requirement. I am wishing now I had just bought when it was 75. If I were to pick a second resort, I believe I would want BLT, but of course that is one of the most expensive direct options, whereas resale is getting more reasonable there. So I was also considering OKW/SS for direct SAP. The other thought I've has is to buy BLT resale and sell my AKV and buy AKV direct. 🤦‍♀️ I'm trying to wait it out til our trip next summer (its not a prudent financial choice either way right now anyway) and hopefully we will have a better idea of what direct will look like, but I am also scared minimums/prices will raise again.

I've been struggling with the same sort of thing. I was a resale only person and we have AKV resale which I love. But I've started having fomo/direct-envy. I'm starting to think APs would be nice (Especially if we have more points) and everything that comes with them, and DVC just keeps upping the minimum direct requirement. I am wishing now I had just bought when it was 75. If I were to pick a second resort, I believe I would want BLT, but of course that is one of the most expensive direct options, whereas resale is getting more reasonable there. So I was also considering OKW/SS for direct SAP. The other thought I've has is to buy BLT resale and sell my AKV and buy AKV direct. 🤦‍♀️ I'm trying to wait it out til our trip next summer (its not a prudent financial choice either way right now anyway) and hopefully we will have a better idea of what direct will look like, but I am also scared minimums/prices will raise again.
I hear ya! I do have a minor bit of regret for not buying 100 points Direct at OKW before the minimum was increased, but I do believe that things work themselves out in the long run. I plan to buy small Direct contracts and put them on my Disney Visa which gives me 6 months 0% to pay it off. That is so much more palatable for my checkbook than one big Direct purchase. Yes, I'll have more closing costs paid in the long run, but this works for me. I was really surprised how much I liked the rooms at OKW. They are so big...but to be fair they did upgrade us from a studio to a 1BR, so that certainly didn't hurt my assessment of the resort:)

For one I continued to crunch numbers non stop over the summer and realized for the cost per point over the remaining life of the contract, BR was not the best "deal". The Poly has always been my favorite resort as it was our first stay back in 1984. I found a great resale contract in August and closed in September.

Awesome choice! Glad you took your time. DVC is not going anywhere, and it's wonderful you bought at your favorite resort. And August pricing was pretty good! So Congrats! Pricing has already gone up again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter