• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OKW gate guards

WebmasterCricket

<font color=blue>Administrator<br><font color=red>
Has anyone else noticed that they play solitare on their PC at night? I really don't care what they do, I just wonder if the guards are supposed to be watching the gate, who is watching the guards? :)

I can only imagine how boring it must be just sitting in those booths for hours on end. I'd go nutz!

I see nothing wrong with it at all. They watch the gate. Others do permeiter patrols. Until a bus or car comes up to the gate, there is probably little for them to do at night..smjj

what did bother me - we had dinner reservations at Olivia staying offsite.

I had a CBR in the window from another visit.

this guard just waved me though - didn't ask for ID, didn't even ask for my name.

he assumed my CBR was current, big assumption.

even told me "welcome home" because of my tag in the front - DVC member.

Sounds like a great job for a college student. They could study while working the gate.

Play solitare on the computer wouldnt bother me as much as playing solitare without it <wink wink nudge nudge>

Just so long as their not playing 'Urban Assult' VRP's with other guards, I won't worry about it!
:teeth:

WebmasterCricket said:
Has anyone else noticed that they play solitare on their PC at night? I really don't care what they do, I just wonder if the guards are supposed to be watching the gate, who is watching the guards? :)

Apparently, you are watching the guards.

Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

That would be a very boring job. I can't blame them for needing a little distraction.

They were probably practicing their computer skills with the mouse. ;)

I am curious what the computer is for. Are cameras on it? or do they need to check reservations on it?

There were seperate camera monitors hanging off of the roof/ceiling so I don't think that was it's purpose. Most of the times we looked in there it was just a desktop and a bunch of icons I could not identify that quickly.

WebmasterCricket said:

Well, I have to wonder if the "I really don't care what they do" statement is correct. You cared enough to post...

It's better then sleeping which is what I would be doing. :rotfl:

WebmasterCricket said:

At least they are awake and not sound asleep. Our Police Dept. hired security guards to cover the entrance gates to some of our facilites, (better to pay them than a cop to open and close a gate) and we caught a few of them sleeping! They were "Let Go" immediately. I found the security at Disney pretty good but nothing is 100%. If a "Bad Guy" wants to get on the property and do his worse and is "he$& bent on it, it is very difficult to stop them. Just don't make it easy for them. OK, I'm off my soap box Now ;)
Cheers All

WebmasterCricket said:
There were seperate camera monitors hanging off of the roof/ceiling so I don't think that was it's purpose. Most of the times we looked in there it was just a desktop and a bunch of icons I could not identify that quickly.

The camera systems are all tied into a central computer and can be viewed by a PC (provided you have access to the folder) and the digital images are are far superior than any CCTV. All the footage is saved on a hard drive for approximately 90 days. It is a window on the desk top like any old program.
Perimeter cameras can be set up with alarms so that any object over a certain size was to scale a wall or fence an alarm would go off. The camers can also save a person's face for facial recognition and if that person had prior charges for tresspass or any thing for that matter and the camera spotted them it would set off an alarm. I don't work for Disney but I do work with just such a system. And they have it too. Just my 2 cents on the matter ;)

That's better than what I caught the guard at our local Best Buy looking at on his security monitor. :earseek:

Let's just say that he was following someone around with the security camera. And I don't think that she was shoplifting either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter