OKW Housekeeping Issue

Thanks for clarification. We seldom stay 8 nights or more at any resort as we like split to stays between MK and EPCOT resorts.

And I guess some DVC people pay $$ for full HK in between the cleaning intervals too. We do not.

It's common sense to put up a Room Occupied sign when you're not in the room? I put it up when I'm in the room, say napping or showering, or wanting to sleep in and not be bothered. But, maybe I'm just weird
I always do that but it is not fool proof. I was at Sports early 2018 with room occupied on door, in bed with migraine, and family at the park when a man came in, without knocking, who did not speak english.

Most terrifying moment of my life.

I had not put on security lock thing as expected family to come back for lunch. I thought was one of the kids but when i realized a strange man, i started yelling get out get out while trying to cover my body.

I could not understand anything he said.

Got him out of the room and locked the door and called front desk and they started telling me probably a room check for security.

They had no clue who had entered my room, but wanted to say what it probably was. He had no name tag, and they did not have a schedule for the cm to enter the rooms for security check. Apparently it is when they fell like checking a room the go do it.

I had never even heard about security check until then and got a lesson on what you agree to.

The only thing they offered was to let me schedule a check at a certain time when I would be in the room. ( I do not trust any one) even Diseny staff as I did not vet them. so for anyone to be alone in my room toughing my things worries me. Not only do I have daily expensive medicine that is not easily replaced and cash. I worry about things like perverts ( not something Disney or any hotel would know) messing with my and my kids clothing, swim suite etc.

This was why years ago I learned I could refuse cleaning the whole time I'm there. To be sure no one touches our things.
When you decline cleaning, and hang your towels to dry. if you run out of tp you can call house keeping and get some or even fresh towels if you need. We were told we could just put soaked towels like after pool etc outside room in morning in pile by door when we leave to go to park.

So was very surprised about the supposed security check, and talked to mangers and a few higher ups. It really is not a security check as you would think looking for bombs or guns etc. It is actually maintenance check to be sure sink, commode, or shower etc are not leaking or need some kind of service. It is a service check. I questioned that saying if I noticed would let them know, but they said that it could happen any time and cause a lot of damage.

So now if i go i refuse cleaning and schedule a time for a security check, and no one is supposed to go in my room until I notify them.

. this worked great when I stayed at Saratoga Springs to schedule security check on my time.
[/QUOTE]
But of course Disney still reserves the right to come in if they feel it is necessary.

I always do that but it is not fool proof. I was at Sports early 2018 with room occupied on door, in bed with migraine, and family at the park when a man came in, without knocking, who did not speak english.

Most terrifying moment of my life.

I had not put on security lock thing as expected family to come back for lunch. I thought was one of the kids but when i realized a strange man, i started yelling get out get out while trying to cover my body.

I could not understand anything he said.

Got him out of the room and locked the door and called front desk and they started telling me probably a room check for security.

They had no clue who had entered my room, but wanted to say what it probably was. He had no name tag, and they did not have a schedule for the cm to enter the rooms for security check. Apparently it is when they fell like checking a room the go do it.

I had never even heard about security check until then and got a lesson on what you agree to.

The only thing they offered was to let me schedule a check at a certain time when I would be in the room. ( I do not trust any one) even Diseny staff as I did not vet them. so for anyone to be alone in my room toughing my things worries me. Not only do I have daily expensive medicine that is not easily replaced and cash. I worry about things like perverts ( not something Disney or any hotel would know) messing with my and my kids clothing, swim suite etc.

This was why years ago I learned I could refuse cleaning the whole time I'm there. To be sure no one touches our things.
When you decline cleaning, and hang your towels to dry. if you run out of tp you can call house keeping and get some or even fresh towels if you need. We were told we could just put soaked towels like after pool etc outside room in morning in pile by door when we leave to go to park.

So was very surprised about the supposed security check, and talked to mangers and a few higher ups. It really is not a security check as you would think looking for bombs or guns etc. It is actually maintenance check to be sure sink, commode, or shower etc are not leaking or need some kind of service. It is a service check. I questioned that saying if I noticed would let them know, but they said that it could happen any time and cause a lot of damage.

So now if i go i refuse cleaning and schedule a time for a security check, and no one is supposed to go in my room until I notify them.

I was told by DVC rep in response to my email query to meet in person with a HK manager to schedule the “security/trash removal/maintenance check” March 2018 after being surprised in the room. At least it was a female HK in HK garb so I was ok after the initial surprise. Interestingly, I was told by actual maintenance staff that I had to take the room occupied sign off the door or they would not even knock. In that case someone calls first. Probably still differs by resort, staff, etc.

I was told by DVC rep in response to my email query to meet in person with a HK manager to schedule the “security/trash removal/maintenance check” March 2018 after being surprised in the room. At least it was a female HK in HK garb so I was ok after the initial surprise. Interestingly, I was told by actual maintenance staff that I had to take the room occupied sign off the door or they would not even knock. In that case someone calls first. Probably still differs by resort, staff, etc.
Yes the front desk at first tried to fuss at me about not putting up sign and I had to set them straight that I put it on and keep it on the whole time. they wanted to blame me, which was another insult. I realize now front desk just wanted to try to get me to not complain and let it go.

Someone else might chime in with it so I will say it’s probably best to meet in person with someone rather than call the front desk. When you call you only speak to somebody in a call center. I think that’s why the DVC rep advised me to meet in person with a HK manager. The DVC rep also said to get the name of the HK manager to make them accountable ( her words not mine). I call when we get into our room and ask for one. They come to your room. It delays starting the vacation but I find I need some down time anyway around that time.

It’s also interesting that they told you there wasn’t a schedule for the room checks. Regardless, if the room occupied sign is on the door, they should be knocking and pausing before entering, they should have a name tag on, and they should be able to communicate with a guest in the room. If the room occupied sign is up and no one responds up a knock, my thought is that security or maintenance should be calling the room first so they don’t walk in to someone in the shower or sleeping.

We use the latch and the sign, which as you said in your case would not have been convenient with your family coming back to the room but it may be the only way to hold off staff from entering. Have your family members call you first.

I also agree about not having staff in the room with cash and expensive medicines. Especially as DVC we were able to avoid that before the new daily trash removal procedure. We use the safe and don’t bring expensive electronics or jewelry or very much cash although I don’t love relying on credit cards as we have been scammed at Disney.

Last edited:

It’s also interesting that they told you there wasn’t a schedule for the room checks. Regardless, if the room occupied sign is on the door, they should be knocking and pausing before entering, they should have a name tag on, and they should be able to communicate with a guest in the room. If the room occupied sign is up and no one responds up a knock, my thought is that security or maintenance should be calling the room first so they don’t walk in to someone in the shower or sleeping.

We use the latch and the sign, which as you said in your case would not have been convenient with your family coming back to the room but it may be the only way to hold off staff from entering. Have your family members call you first.

I also agree about not having staff in the room with cash and expensive medicines. Especially as DVC we were able to avoid that before the new daily trash removal procedure. We use the safe and don’t bring expensive electronics or jewelry or very much cash although I don’t love relying on credit cards as we have been scammed at Disney.
Yes. Lesson learned.

You should read the fine print sometime.

Older comment but I want to clarify something being written in tiny print on terms and conditions does not mean it can hold up in court. Unlikely it will be challenged and that's what most major corporations count on. This way they can say it's in the terms, take this $xxx credit, and let's call it even.

Reading all these room check and other threads I am glad I did. Personally will just put a occupied sign on the door and latch the door while we are around.

Don't expect any issues.

Older comment but I want to clarify something being written in tiny print on terms and conditions does not mean it can hold up in court. Unlikely it will be challenged and that's what most major corporations count on. This way they can say it's in the terms, take this $xxx credit, and let's call it even.

I'm not an attorney, I work in banking, but I know in our industry, the regulators have very specific requirements for the verbiage that goes in the terms & conditions (a.k.a. "the fine print"). We have had court cases where this has had to be referenced. Since the terms & conditions are provided to customers, we can't be held liable for a customer not knowing something that's printed in it (generally speaking). To tie it back to the topic at hand, putting the guest on notice of the resort's right to enter at any time for any reason removes the right of the guest to have a legitimate complaint when/if this happens. Doesn't mean the guest can't be annoyed or can't complain about the way its handled, but it releases the hotel from any wrong-doing, which I think is what they're going for.

putting the guest on notice of the resort's right to enter at any time for any reason removes the right of the guest to have a legitimate complaint when/if this happens.

I don't want to get in to a back and forth argument so this is my last post on it. Disney can put whatever it wants in terms and can do whatever it wants. Does not mean it makes it legal to enter at any time regardless of circumstances.

A good example would be a staff member entering for nothing more than a "routine" security check at 2AM without knocking or announcing themselves and no suspicion of any wrong doing by the guests. This is okay per their T+Cs right to enter whenever they want but would not hold up in court likely. That being said they do actually have a legal right to check the room on a daily basis if they choose to exercise the right.

Like I said before I doubt I will run into any issues and will simply just use the lock when in the room. Its a very harmless policy to me but wanted to call out Terms + Conditions =/= law they are very different things. (As a heads up Bank T+Cs are likely going to be much more highly regulated than most industries as well).

Disney can put whatever it wants in terms and can do whatever it wants. Does not mean it makes it legal to enter at any time regardless of circumstances.
A good example would be a staff member entering for nothing more than a "routine" security check at 2AM without knocking or announcing themselves and no suspicion of any wrong doing by the guests. This is okay per their T+Cs right to enter whenever they want but would not hold up in court likely. That being said they do actually have a legal right to check the room on a daily basis if they choose to exercise the right.

Unless I'm reading wrong, I think you're contradicting yourself. Do they or don't they have a legal right in your opinion?

I can't speak on legalities, but I do know that Disney is private property and you are agreeing to Disney's terms and conditions when you make a reservation to stay there. Disney staff would not do a routine security check at 2am in your scenario because they are still in the service industry - meaning, they are not going to upset a guest just to exercise their power, so that's a moot point. They still want/need to accommodate guests and strive for guest satisfaction, but they still reserve the right to enter rooms when they need to. I would assume the hotel has an internal policy on when its acceptable to enter rooms, and I could just about guarantee that fulfilling their daily security checks at 2am is not within that policy. When they reserve the right to enter, its primarily to protect them if they need to enter due to a dangerous situation, medical emergency, etc etc.

Unless I'm reading wrong, I think you're contradicting yourself. Do they or don't they have a legal right in your opinion?

Just want to clarify:
- They do have a legal right to inspect the room
- They do not have a right because its in their T+Cs (the T+Cs do not make something automatically legally enforceable is my point)

Reading all these room check and other threads I am glad I did. Personally will just put a occupied sign on the door and latch the door while we are around.

Don't expect any issues.

And you can guarantee it would not hold up in court/

Just want to clarify:
- They do have a legal right to inspect the room
- They do not have a right because its in their T+Cs (the T+Cs do not make something automatically legally enforceable is my point)

Having it in the terms puts guests on notice of their right to do the inspection. By doing this, a guest cannot claim they didn't know of this right. It IS an added protection for the hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter