OKW - just back

disneyholic family

disney on my mind....
I know the OKW lovers will hate me for doing this, but here goes..

We spent 9 days at OKW and loved every minute of it...
we would have spent the full two weeks of our WDW visit at OKW, but it was completely sold out from the 20th of July on....

in any case, OKW was wonderful.....in tip top condition...even better condition than the last time we stayed there about 4 or 5 years ago...
and the CMs were very very friendly....all of them....

oh...and mousekeeping was excellent...everything perfectly clean...

we were in building 56 in south point...i wanted building 55 but it was full when we got there, so we took a 2 BR on the 2nd floor of 56.....
it was very nice...right by the bus stop and the quiet pool....
we really enjoyed the location...

anyway...i love OKW....(i know i know...you want to keep it a big secret)...

can't wait, won't be long now! Thanks for the report, it will be our first time ever at OKW!! :goodvibes

Hi Beth :wave2:
Glad u all had a good time ! We're heading there in a few days for a stay in a 2 bedroom. What was the balcony view from bldg 56 ? I'm hoping to get a higher floor, though I didn't request it. All of our stays have been ground floor so far ?!

As someone who stayed at South Point on his last two visits and plans to stay again next spring, I think you should at least warn people about all the gators that roam freely in this section of the resort. :rolleyes1

And staying on the upper levels will not protect you. Reports of pole vaulting gators have been circulating.

If you plan on using the outdoor balcony, bring head gear like bike or batting helmets to protect you from the errant golf balls peppering the units on South Point. Although you can always use the balls to throw at attacking gators.

MiaSRN62 said:
Hi Beth :wave2:
Glad u all had a good time ! We're heading there in a few days for a stay in a 2 bedroom. What was the balcony view from bldg 56 ? I'm hoping to get a higher floor, though I didn't request it. All of our stays have been ground floor so far ?!

i think it may depend on the room....we didn't really have much of a view.....although on the map it looks like the building is on the canal, you can't see it...at least not from our room...if you stood out on the balcony, you could see snippets of what were probably water between the dense trees...
but really our view was very very dense forest....but we were happy with that....off to the side of the balcony, was a view of the pool.....

it's definitely not the best view.....we had a much nicer view in building 34, but i still prefer 56 to 34, despite the not so great view......the short distance to the bus stop and quiet pool make up for it...
probably building 55 has a much much much better view....but we still were very happy with 56....and it was fantastic that the room was ready when we arrived and we didn't have to wait until 4.....

another nice thing about south point that i wasn't aware of, you can walk from DTD (from cirque de soleil)...
on saturday we took the boat from OKW to DTD.....on the way to the main DTD stop, it stopped at DTD westside for someone to get off....so we got off there and walked back on the nature trail....it took about 15 minutes and was very very pleasant....and got us right back to southpoint.....perfect....

of course i should have mentioned the flying gators too, but what with senility and all, i forgot...

First of all, who put you up to this? These glowing posts about OKW have been banned from this Board. You should expect a Moderator to delete this at any moment. :earseek:

Seriously, we were in 5625 the 23-28th of July and loved it. You are right, no view. Our room was on the left side of the building as you face the building and the view was the road and trees. Not a problem for us and didn't spoil our trip. The only time we were in the room was the middle of the day when it was soooo hot and then at night to sleep, which we didn't get enough of.

I never heard/saw my neighbors and it felt like we were the only ones in the building, which was nice.

Glad you had a good time on your trip. Now you can try another resort on your next trip. :flower:

Hello, I'm glad you loved OKW! :flower: Do you recall if it has a hot tub and a pool slide?? ::MickeyMo

tlynk said:
Hello, I'm glad you loved OKW! :flower: Do you recall if it has a hot tub and a pool slide?? ::MickeyMo

the main pool has a new slide, but we didn't go to the main pool at all so i can't tell you if it's good or bad...

we were by the little quiet pool, which was fine for us...i think we went swimming 3 times....well...more like hanging around in the water chatting with other guests... very pleasant.......

i think there may have been a hot tub by this pool, but i hate hot tubs so i didn't really pay attention....

RweTHEREyet said:
Seriously, we were in 5625 the 23-28th of July and loved it. You are right, no view. Our room was on the left side of the building as you face the building and the view was the road and trees. Not a problem for us and didn't spoil our trip. The only time we were in the room was the middle of the day when it was soooo hot and then at night to sleep, which we didn't get enough of.

I never heard/saw my neighbors and it felt like we were the only ones in the building, which was nice.

we were in the middle of the building...so our view was woods straight back, and to either side we saw the building (and on the right, the pool beyond the end of the building)..
i can't remember the number...maybe it was 5621?.....could be but i'm not sure..

in any case we liked it....the place was fully booked and we didn't hear a sound from any of our neighbors, above, below or next door...amazing soundproofing...

one more thing.....it is so great having that washer and dryer.....when we moved to the WL concierge i had to drag everything down to the laundry room in the middle of the night, on the night before we checked out..
and i got stuck in the elevator - at 2:30 in the morning.....another good thing about OKW...no elevator to get stuck in....i've been having very bad luck with that recently.....this was the third elevator i was stuck in over the course of only a few weeks....unnerving to say the least...especially at 2:30 in the morning in what seemed like a deserted building...

Thanks for the description of the bldg 56 view disneyholic family & RweTHEREyet. I was looking on the map and just couldn't figure out what the view could be. That's good to know about the walk back from DTD too :flower:
As for the elevator comment.....my 14 yo dd is terrified of them. I have to really coax her into going on one. If there are stairs (no matter how many), she'll choose that option. She had a very bad experience one year in a Holiday Inn (Orlando) elevator. It got stuck and she was alone in it for about 5 min before it started up again.
As for the hot tub---there is definitely a hot tub at the Miller's Road quiet pool. I spent alot of time in it this past Nov :goodvibes

We LOVE the Southpoint area. And we are not afraid of the flying, man-eating gators!!!!!! ;)

OKW is a well-kept secret. Everybody goes for the "allure" of the Boardwalk area or the "draw" of the MK...we OKWers know the true best DVC resort!!!!! ;)

MiaSRN62 said:
As for the elevator comment.....my 14 yo dd is terrified of them. I have to really coax her into going on one. If there are stairs (no matter how many), she'll choose that option. She had a very bad experience one year in a Holiday Inn (Orlando) elevator. It got stuck and she was alone in it for about 5 min before it started up again.

i am TERRIFIED of elevators....i would also much rather walk....
and lately the elevators i've been on have been encouraging me to do so...

i was on one a few weeks ago, with a whole group of people, when it "slipped"....it started down normally and then we all felt it "slip" as though it was about to completely drop....it only went a short distance in the "slip" before it jerked to a sudden sharp stop.....the emergency safety brakes stopping it...
then it just stood there for a few minutes as we pressed every floor button and the open door button....finally, after what seemed like an eternity, but probably was only a few minutes, the doors opened and we were on a floor a few down from where we'd started....we all piled out....a few people got on another elevator and the rest of us headed for the stairs....we were all shaking so hard it was hard to manage the first few flights....

i can't remember the second incident, another case of the door not opening....then at WL at 2:30 in the morning, i was all alone in the elevator when it suddenly just stopped...one of those very hard stops and then just sat there with the doors closed....i pushed the open door...nothing happened....then i hit another floor button (i was on the elevator heading up from the first floor to the 7th floor)...still nothing....finally, despite the late hour, i hit the alarm bell....i hit it several times and then hit it and held it for about 20 seconds....at which point the elevator suddenly started to go up again, then stopped and the doors opened....on the 7th floor...thank god...

from there we went to NYC and stayed on the 26th floor of the waldorf astoria....we got to referring to the elevators there as the tower of terror....scary scary scary elevators....unfortunately too high to walk....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter