OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

I know. That's why I've always used the buses in the past, even when I've had a car. People are always talking about how driving to the parks is so much faster and easier, and I've never understood that. But we'll see - this is our first trip taking both of our kids (ages 18 months and 4 years) so we'll be trying all sorts of new things to see which hassle of loading and unloading, waiting and walking is the easiest. Or maybe I should say least difficult. Lol.
But if you are loading up strollers and car seats in the car, you just need the stroller on the bus (fold it up and carry/walk the two kids). Hauling a stroller on a tram can be a chore, too.

I know. That's why I've always used the buses in the past, even when I've had a car. People are always talking about how driving to the parks is so much faster and easier, and I've never understood that. But we'll see - this is our first trip taking both of our kids (ages 18 months and 4 years) so we'll be trying all sorts of new things to see which hassle of loading and unloading, waiting and walking is the easiest. Or maybe I should say least difficult. Lol.

The only park we usually take a bus to is MK because there is no parking at MK.

The only park we usually take a bus to is MK because there is no parking at MK.

I know. I have some Disney friends who drive everywhere (even the MK, which makes zero sense to me) and some Disney friends who have never driven a mile on property. I might try a little of both on this trip, and see what is easier with the stroller(s). My 4 year old LOVES riding on the buses, which is great, since we usually fly. We are attempting to drive this summer (we come from Maryland, so it's really not that bad) so it'll be a fun experiment to have a car. Thanks!

Hi:wave: I have a few random questions for our October stay at OKW. I've stayed there three times before and I can't believe I don't know these answers:blush:...

First, a few logistical questions. We are doing a 3-night stay at OKW, followed by 4-nights at AKV. We are arriving late (probably around midnight!) since our plane lands at 10:30pm and we are taking DME. Since we are arriving after 10, we will have all of our luggage with us. It's just myself and my two teenage daughters, but we will have (3) rolling bags and (3) backpacks which we don't want to trek across the entire resort at that hour. We are NOT booked in a HH category room (praying that waitlist comes through, but doubt it:worried:) so it will probably be a hike to the room. How do we get there? Second question...when it is time to leave, we will have groceries, in addition to our luggage. I am considering using a Minnie Van or Uber to just take us straight over to AKV in the morning when we want to check out. Can they come directly to our building or must they pick us up at the Hospitality House? If they have to pick up at the HH, then how do we go about getting all of our stuff over there? Do we call bell services the night before? We are hoping to get to a park fairly early, meaning that we'd probably be leaving the room by about 8am. Would they be able to accommodate that?

Ok, now for your opinions...On two of our three trips, we stayed in the Turtle Pond area. We liked it because the golf course view was wonderful, but we were on the third floor each time. While I appreciated not having people above us, I was not a fan of going up and down those stairs at the end of the day. On our other trip, we were on the second floor in building 12 by the HH and I really liked the location. I didn't think too much of it at first, but when I realized that we could get off the bus at the first stop or get on it at the last stop, I realized it was a great area. For this trip, we will not have a car and we are staying in a studio. We are planning to sleep in, except for that last day, so we would prefer a "quiet" location. We all sleep with headphones on so it's hard to disturb our sleep. The kids will sleep in a lot later than me (I get up at 3am for work so "sleeping in" for me is up at 5am!) so I'd like to be able to sit out on the balcony and enjoy a bit of a "view" in the morning while I wait for them to get up around 7. So based on all of the stuff I want...close to HH, quiet, decent view, second floor...what is the best locations for me to consider?

You will love OKW. The first thing that strikes you is how pretty it is. The second will be you can't believe that you are really so close to all the chaos but it seems like you are somewhere else. Great place to decompose after a busy day at the parks.
I am so looking forward to it!
I All ready warned everyone that when I've had enough at the parks, I'm heading back Home! Really excited to go to Gurgling suitcase! I've joined their FB page and feel like I know some of the people already!

I am so looking forward to it!
I'm heading back Home! Really excited to go to Gurgling suitcase!
Signature drink.... The Turtle Krawl, I like it with an extra lime! - Siesta Key white rum, Parrot Bay coconut rum, Sailor Jerry spiced rum, with grenadine, pineapple, orange and key lime juices, by the pool.

Hi:wave: I have a few random questions for our October stay at OKW. So based on all of the stuff I want...close to HH, quiet, decent view, second floor...what is the best locations for me to consider?
OK, read it twice, are you in a studio, 1 or 2 bd? Studios have little view to speak of, corners, mostly obstructed/shielded by trees etc. Close to HH if you don't get HH, Building 15 has some nice views of the golf course/water feature and it's a close enough walk to HH. My favorite areas are Turtle Pond, building 42, near the quiet pool, and building 45-46, with a view of the waterway, very relaxing. Good luck with you waitlist!

OK, read it twice, are you in a studio, 1 or 2 bd? Studios have little view to speak of, corners, mostly obstructed/shielded by trees etc. Close to HH if you don't get HH, Building 15 has some nice views of the golf course/water feature and it's a close enough walk to HH. My favorite areas are Turtle Pond, building 42, near the quiet pool, and building 45-46, with a view of the waterway, very relaxing. Good luck with you waitlist!
This trip, we are in a studio:flower3:. On our past trips, we have been in 1BR's and 2BR's so it's the first time in an OKW studio for us.
I looked at some photos and videos and I can see that most of the studio views are fairly obstructed by plants and trees. Based on that, I can say with confidence that I do not want a ground-level room. I can just imagine the critters that could show up on the patio:scared:.

This trip, we are in a studio:flower3:. On our past trips, we have been in 1BR's and 2BR's so it's the first time in an OKW studio for us.
I looked at some photos and videos and I can see that most of the studio views are fairly obstructed by plants and trees. Based on that, I can say with confidence that I do not want a ground-level room. I can just imagine the critters that could show up on the patio:scared:.
Well, I've never had critters pop in but you do get to see some really lovely birds, bunnies, squirrels, and during my last ground floor stay, a golfer looking for his very strayed ball! When you look up coming from the shower, in a towel and lock eyes with someone in the shrubs, well let's just say we each had a story to tell that day! :eek::laughing: Cut forward to breakfast at Olivia's a day later, and who's there.... have you ever seen a grown man blush!

so it will probably be a hike to the room. How do we get there? Second question...when it is time to leave, we will have groceries, in addition to our luggage.

Bell Services has big pargo's (the oversized golf cart vehicles) that can transport you all along with your luggage, to your room at check in. You can double check with the resort, but WDW is pretty good about moving folks that are changing resorts during their stay. If you advise them you have refrigerated stuff, they should be able to take care of that as well. Let them move you while you enjoy the parks, or take a bus over to AKL (If you don't use a Minnie Van, then I would take a bus to AK park, then grab a bus to the Lodge. It should be quicker.)

We are considering switching over to OKW from SS in a two bedroom villa for our two night stay before a cruise. There are six adults and two kids (13 and 12), so we are interested in the bigger villas OKW has, but we had a few questions. The dedicated two bedroom is what is open and is what we would book. I have a waitlist in for one near HH, but only one night is open right now (here's hoping!). What buildings have been renovated (as we would like to have one that is updated)? We would like to be close to HH but also need a ground floor due to mobility problems from one in our party, what should we request? We will have a van. Thanks!

ETA: Our travel date is September.

Last edited:
We would like to be close to HH but also need a ground floor due to mobility problems from one in our party, what should we request?

If someone in your party has mobility issues, you need to let Disney know that ASAP so that they can make sure to block a handicapped accessible villa for you.

As a very longtime DVC member, with your big group and so many adults, I would certainly choose OKW over SSR to have a little more elbow room! :D

If someone in your party has mobility issues, you need to let Disney know that ASAP so that they can make sure to block a handicapped accessible villa for you.

As a very longtime DVC member, with your big group and so many adults, I would certainly choose OKW over SSR to have a little more elbow room! :D

Thanks! She doesn't need a handicap room, but she has a problem with stairs. The more we talk about it, the more we are thinking we should switch.

Thanks! She doesn't need a handicap room, but she has a problem with stairs.

I understand, but the only way I know that you can get a ground floor for certain is to make sure that Disney knows of the mobility issues. And they many need to block a HA room for your group to ensure it. The last few buildings built at OKW after they tore down the Commodore House (the original DVC sales center), which would be considered HH designation, are the only buildings that do have elevators at OKW. They are tough to get though.... Good luck with everything! :cutie:

I understand, but the only way I know that you can get a ground floor for certain is to make sure that Disney knows of the mobility issues. And they many need to block a HA room for your group to ensure it. The last few buildings built at OKW after they tore down the Commodore House (the original DVC sales center), which would be considered HH designation, are the only buildings that do have elevators at OKW. They are tough to get though.... Good luck with everything! :cutie:
The three last built buildings, 62, 63 and 64 are not considered Near HH for booking.

The three last built buildings, 62, 63 and 64 are not considered Near HH for booking.

I have an upcoming reservation, a studio, and I was able to book in the HH category. I do want first floor for mobility reasons.

Can I put in a room request that if a HH first floor room is not available, that I'll take anything in 62, 63, 64, instead?

Anyone use Amazon Prime Now lately at OKW? I have used it at other resorts, but haven't used it at OKW. Will they deliver to our villa, or do we need to meet them at bell services?

Thanks! BTW...I used to think of myself as an OKW expert, having stayed there four times in the past four years, but this thread has been SUPER helpful to answer questions I hadn't even thought of before. Thanks so much for all of the helpful replies :-)

Really? Hmmmm.... seems that they once were.... they are certainly very close to HH.
No, only 11-14 and 23-26 are Near HH Area category. I suspect the availability of elevators in those buildings keep it out of that small category.

We have been placed in one of those buildings and we did not book Near HH Area. We never book that category.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter