OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

We are excited to stay at OKW aug 23-30! With 2 small kids (2 and4) what would you recommend I request as far as room. We are getting a 1bd.
Thanks!

I recommend a first floor villa unless you don't mind hauling the strollers up the stairs.

We love OKW we have stayed here three times and are going back in July the rooms are a great size and quit pools are great with little kids. We just wish there was more of a food selection.

We love OKW we have stayed here three times and are going back in July the rooms are a great size and quit pools are great with little kids. We just wish there was more of a food selection.

We just hit Publix and we have a great food selection (and dine elsewhere or maybe Olivia's for a meal or two).

We just hit Publix and we have a great food selection (and dine elsewhere or maybe Olivia's for a meal or two).

:thumbsup2 I love Olivia's, but sometime I want something lighter. On the trips when I don't have a car to get to Publix and buy supplies, I take the boat to DtD and either get fish & chips at the quick food place behind Raglan Road or I go over to Earl of Sandwich.

Thanks Chuck! Especially for the inclusion of the OKW map right at the beginning of this thread. I can't count the times I've misplaced mine. :thumbsup2

Somebody pinch me....I can't believe I'm gonna be at OKW Sunday night!!! I am soooooo excited for my first stay :cool1:

So after over 2 yrs, we are headed home in July! :goodvibes

*SOMEONE* forgot to bank our points....:rolleyes1

We have been talking to my DSD and our niece for over a year about going, it happens to be that we have to use our points by the end of July and DSD's bday is the 29th so it looks like we are going from 7/24 - 7/31! I can get a 1-bdrm in OKW for the entire length of stay BUT DSD wants to stay at AK. There's an opportunity for a split stay, 7/24 - 7/27 at AKV with a savannah view, and then 7/27 - 7/31 at OKW...I'm waiting to get the go-ahead from her mom that she can be away on her birthday so that I can hit the reserve button. At this point, the excitement is overshadowing the stress of coming up with these unexpected vacation funds - so not prepared! But everything happens for a reason and we should seize the day! Carpe Diem! :banana:
PS - see my ticker??? :yay:

We are booked at OKW for 2 nights before our Disney cruise in Nov ::yes:: It our first trip to WDW and it is going to be quick! I know the kids will want to spend some time in the pool (I'm only planning on hitting the Magic Kingdom for MVMCP) so I am hoping someone can suggest a building I could request. The resort looks huge and I'm a little overwhelmed! Near the main pool and a bus stop I guess would be my top two requirements. We are DVC members, but are on cash this trip since I'm out of points....addonitis is striking!

Now I just have to figure out when we can return for a week at WDW, I know those 2 days are going to be a tease!

Since you're on cash, I don't think the "Near Hospitality House" booking category is an option. I think your best locations would be bldgs 15, 16, 27 or 28. 11 to 14 and 23 to 26 are in the Near HH category, and may not be available to you, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Since you're on cash, I don't think the "Near Hospitality House" booking category is an option. I think your best locations would be bldgs 15, 16, 27 or 28. 11 to 14 and 23 to 26 are in the Near HH category, and may not be available to you, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

We've also stayed in 62, 63, & 64 which are relatively convenient to HH. However, these are the elevator buildings which, like the HH category, may be a bit of a challenge. Our kids actually liked the villas near the quiet pools, especially Turtle Pond and South Point. Each bus stops at HH before heading to the parks so making your way to HH is pretty convenient for those that choose not to take a leisurely walk.

As fate would have it the wait list gods failed to shine upon us. We failed to take advantage of the 11 month window but were able to get into SSR @ 7 months while wait listing OKW. Alas the clock ticked and nothing opened up. At least we can still make our way to Olivia's and the Gurgling Suitcase. Fortunately we learned our lesson and will be able to enjoy the Christmas ambiance of OKW!.

As fate would have it the wait list gods failed to shine upon us. We failed to take advantage of the 11 month window but were able to get into SSR @ 7 months while wait listing OKW. Alas the clock ticked and nothing opened up. At least we can still make our way to Olivia's and the Gurgling Suitcase. Fortunately we learned our lesson and will be able to enjoy the Christmas ambiance of OKW!.

When are you going at Christmas, and what size unit? I just recently gave up a GV at OKW for 12/18-12/24. I hope someone on the boards got their waitlist!

I am excited for you-love it there!!!!!!! Have a great time.Hope it is warmer there than here-Im sure it is!!!!!

Linda

Hello fellow OKW'ers :wave:

Can someone help me out with a couple of logistical questions? After a couple of attempts and cancellations, we are finally going back home for 7/25-7/31 - hopefully to extend out to 8/3! :love:

DH and I have only experience our fairly new DVC on our own, but this time we are finally going to be bringing DSD11 for her bday - we tried to do this last year but plans were interrupted. So this year we are going to make up for it by bringing her cousin to share in the magic! Both are first timers so this is a very special trip. A very special last minute trip that I am hoping to pull together with making the right decisions!

Since my DS20 will be joining I chose a 2 bdrm villa, hopefully near HH but I am sure wherever we end up will be great! We were going to get the DDP but if we extend this out to 9 nights, for 5 of us it's about 2500. DSD11 and DN12 don't really have mature palates and sometimes do not eat a ton or only want the general kid type foods so I would like to save some dough and get the full villa experience by stocking up on some favorite foods so we can have bfast and some dinners to supplement our TiW card. Can someone tell me the best place to go for grocery shopping, and how much the cab rides would be?

Any and all thoughts, advice and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated! TIA! :thumbsup2

Hello fellow OKW'ers :wave:

Can someone help me out with a couple of logistical questions? After a couple of attempts and cancellations, we are finally going back home for 7/25-7/31 - hopefully to extend out to 8/3! :love:

DH and I have only experience our fairly new DVC on our own, but this time we are finally going to be bringing DSD11 for her bday - we tried to do this last year but plans were interrupted. So this year we are going to make up for it by bringing her cousin to share in the magic! Both are first timers so this is a very special trip. A very special last minute trip that I am hoping to pull together with making the right decisions!

Since my DS20 will be joining I chose a 2 bdrm villa, hopefully near HH but I am sure wherever we end up will be great! We were going to get the DDP but if we extend this out to 9 nights, for 5 of us it's about 2500. DSD11 and DN12 don't really have mature palates and sometimes do not eat a ton or only want the general kid type foods so I would like to save some dough and get the full villa experience by stocking up on some favorite foods so we can have bfast and some dinners to supplement our TiW card. Can someone tell me the best place to go for grocery shopping, and how much the cab rides would be?

Any and all thoughts, advice and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated! TIA! :thumbsup2

I know there are a few local supermarkets, there's a Publix down the end of the 535 (I think?) & I am sure somebody will know better than I on that.

My suggestion would be to check out Garden Grocer, you can make an order online & they will deliver to the resort. My family have used them before twice & both times it's been very positive & completely seamless to use. You will pay a delivery charge but I am sure it will be less than the cost of a cab ride.

Price out a one day car rental, sometimes they can be price competitive with a cab. There is no shortage of relatively nearby shopping for OKW. There is a super Walmart, several Publix and a Winn Dixie. The closest real grocery store is Gooding's, but I recommend you avoid it. Nice store, but prices are outrageous. Definitely geared for the tourist trade rather than the locals.

The Super Walmart is nice, but is reported to be the busiest WalMart in the US. I believe it, parking is a problem and the lines for registers are LONG. I prefer to shop at one of the Publix, nice stores, good quality, average prices, and it saves time...and on vacation time is a commodity in itself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter