OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

Just got back from our 1st DVC vacation with a split stay 5 nights at OKW in a HH studio location and 3 nights at AKL Kidani one bedroom savanna view. Wife, and 9 & 12 yr old daughters preferred OKW over AKL. Looks like we will be purchasing a small OKW contract to supplement our small AKL contract. Family enjoyed the laid back feeling at OKW, felt more like a second home than a room at a hotel.

Yep, when OKW was built that was the idea - the Disney Vacation Club villas were built to be "homes away from home." That's what/why we bought at BWV. Over the years (due, I believe, to rising $ prices per point and nightly point costs per villa) more and more people seem to be buying DVC hoping only to save money on hotel rooms instead of enjoying a home away from home. It's truly a difference in attitude.

Yep, when OKW was built that was the idea - the Disney Vacation Club villas were built to be "homes away from home." That's what/why we bought at BWV. Over the years (due, I believe, to rising $ prices per point and nightly point costs per villa) more and more people seem to be buying DVC hoping only to save money on hotel rooms instead of enjoying a home away from home. It's truly a difference in attitude.

In fact, in the early years, they did not actually class the DVC resorts as "Deluxe." They were classed as "Home Away From Home" resorts, due to the limited housekeeping and having kitchenettes and full kitchens. Once kitchenettes and refrigerators became pretty standard in the hotel industry, they were called Deluxe Villas.

Just got back from our 1st DVC vacation with a split stay 5 nights at OKW in a HH studio location and 3 nights at AKL Kidani one bedroom savanna view. Wife, and 9 & 12 yr old daughters preferred OKW over AKL. Looks like we will be purchasing a small OKW contract to supplement our small AKL contract. Family enjoyed the laid back feeling at OKW, felt more like a second home than a room at a hotel.
Sounds like you had an awesome vaca! So looking forward to our August stay at OKW, one of the last resorts to try! :banana:

In fact, in the early years, they did not actually class the DVC resorts as "Deluxe." They were classed as "Home Away From Home" resorts, due to the limited housekeeping and having kitchenettes and full kitchens. Once kitchenettes and refrigerators became pretty standard in the hotel industry, they were called Deluxe Villas.

Exactly! It’s been interesting but also a bit saddening to me to realize how the reasons to buy DVC have changed over the years. I’ve also realized that DVC is a sort of timeshare-hotel hybrid with its housekeeping services (none of my parents’ timeshare resorts changed towels or emptied trash in the middle of the week) and owners’ expectations for having restaurants on the grounds (anyone remember that SSR initially had only quick service and added table service due to demand?).

Exactly! It’s been interesting but also a bit saddening to me to realize how the reasons to buy DVC have changed over the years. I’ve also realized that DVC is a sort of timeshare-hotel hybrid with its housekeeping services (none of my parents’ timeshare resorts changed towels or emptied trash in the middle of the week) and owners’ expectations for having restaurants on the grounds (anyone remember that SSR initially had only quick service and added table service due to demand?).
So true. Having been a member since 1995, I've watch the attitude turn from viewing DVC as a second home to just being a different way to reserve a room. Sure these rooms have some extra amenities, but the are being looked at as just another place to stay. Hence, we get the frequent inquiries as to being eligible for free dining etc.

So true. Having been a member since 1995, I've watch the attitude turn from viewing DVC as a second home to just being a different way to reserve a room. Sure these rooms have some extra amenities, but the are being looked at as just another place to stay. Hence, we get the frequent inquiries as to being eligible for free dining etc.

For me I'd say they just aren't that different anymore from many hotel type accommodations. There are so many "suite" type hotels that match up fairly well now. So yes, it's just another version of that.

We are going to be visiting OKW next month. Is it worth it to get the refillable mugs? Is there more than one station on property to refill them or do you have to go back to the main area? We are hoping to stay in the Old Turtle Pond area. Would it just be an inconvenience, or is there a refillable station somewhere nearby?

We are going to be visiting OKW next month. Is it worth it to get the refillable mugs? Is there more than one station on property to refill them or do you have to go back to the main area? We are hoping to stay in the Old Turtle Pond area. Would it just be an inconvenience, or is there a refillable station somewhere nearby?
You can refill at the Turtle Shack, but it is only open seasonally with shorter hours. If you get back from a park at night it will be closed and the only other place to fill up is Goods to Go. You may just want to fill your refrigerator with your favorites instead.

You can refill at the Turtle Shack, but it is only open seasonally with shorter hours. If you get back from a park at night it will be closed and the only other place to fill up is Goods to Go. You may just want to fill your refrigerator with your favorites instead.
Just to add to this excellent comment....I'd pass on the refillable mugs at OKW. While they may be OK at the pool, but anywhere else at OKW they aren't practical. They don't really have a large capacity and by the time you get them back to your unit you've may have already drank half of it.

I think it depends on how you vacation. We’ve been staying for 22 years. We have pool time every day. Some days we have an all day pool day and do the parks in the evening. We like having the refillable mugs.

I only get a mug if we’re staying in the HH area. Otherwise we get a bunch of beverages delivered with our groceries. We like to use the mugs at home too, so they aren’t a total waste post vacation.

About mid-way through construction, there was a minor design change to OKW 1 and 2 bedroom units - a 2nd entrance to the bathroom was added, giving access through the laundry room. This is effective for Buildings 30 and higher. Buildings 11 to 29 have a single entrance to the bathroom, through the master bedroom.

Hello,

We're looking to go to OKW but want a 2 bed villa with dual access to the master bathroom via the laundry room.
I've read the pasted info above from the very first page but can anyone add to this, confirm its still valid?

Do the newer buildings 62, 63 and 64 also have the extra acces via laundry room?

This is the reason for choosing OKW if we can so I want to make sure we get it right. :)

Thank you! :)

About mid-way through construction, there was a minor design change to OKW 1 and 2 bedroom units - a 2nd entrance to the bathroom was added, giving access through the laundry room. This is effective for Buildings 30 and higher. Buildings 11 to 29 have a single entrance to the bathroom, through the master bedroom.

Hello,

We're looking to go to OKW but want a 2 bed villa with dual access to the master bathroom via the laundry room.
I've read the pasted info above from the very first page but can anyone add to this, confirm its still valid?

Do the newer buildings 62, 63 and 64 also have the extra acces via laundry room?

This is the reason for choosing OKW if we can so I want to make sure we get it right. :)

Nothing has changed and yes, 62-64 also have the access thru the laundry room.

Hello,

Yes, but often those buildings are reserved for people with medical needs since they have an elevator. Otherwise, Turtle Pond or South Point would be your choice.

We are staying in a 2 bedroom Villa at the end of October and I have no requests as we don't care we we are, but had a couple of questions.
First, are any of the pools big enough for laps? Also, are there tennis courts? If so, do they have racquets to use or should we bring our own?
Second, I read that there was a fun 3K each week at OKW? Is this true? Anyone done it? I'm a runner, so it sounds fun!
Thanks!

We are staying in a 2 bedroom Villa at the end of October and I have no requests as we don't care we we are, but had a couple of questions.
First, are any of the pools big enough for laps? Also, are there tennis courts? If so, do they have racquets to use or should we bring our own?
Second, I read that there was a fun 3K each week at OKW? Is this true? Anyone done it? I'm a runner, so it sounds fun!
Thanks!
None of the pools are long enough for laps. You could swim in circles, but you'd be swimming around other people.
They do have tennis courts, at least I remember them having tennis courts and you could check out rackets from the activity people at the Community Hall.
They do have a 3k every week on Wednesday I think.

I did the 3k run in April. It is called the Southern Most Point fun run. You get as water bottle and some granolas bars when you finish, and you get a medal. It was a nice run. Yes to tennis courts, you will run around them during the run. Rackets are at the community Hall. Have fun. I think there was about 10 people who did the run.126D17AC-838F-4F53-828F-DF56822FEDC0.jpeg

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter