Older people running for President

cinnaminny

DIS Veteran
If someone is running for President should their age matter? If someone is nearly 80 or 80+ when they are running for their first term, should that matter? Should age be a consideration? Is this a valid thing to take into consideration?

Well, the United States has had four presidents die of natural causes while in office, and they were all between 57 and 68. So, I'm not sure age makes a difference. And the last time was in 1945, so it's not a recent issue.

I think about the people that age in my family. They are educated and wise, but still cannot connect with younger adults and the modern world. I think elected officials need to be able to speak/connect/understand the total population, not just the 70-plus crowd.

Truthfully? If someone were to run for President at an advanced age, I'd take a MUCH closer look at who their running mate was. Of course, things can happen at any age (my mother died when she was 44, so I get it on a very personal level) - but I've seen how being in office ages people through several presidents now...and I'd have concerns related to age if someone in their 80s ran. If I agreed with many of their ideas AND they had a running mate I could also get behind if they were to rise to the presidency, I'd have no problem voting for someone of advanced age.

Then again...

The oldest person elected US President is Donald Trump, the second oldest was Ronald Reagan. Reagan's son did indicate he noticed early sings of Alzheimer's while the elder Reagan was in office.

The third was William Henry Harrison and he died in office (due to pneumonia).

If someone is running for President should their age matter? If someone is nearly 80 or 80+ when they are running for their first term, should that matter? Should age be a consideration? Is this a valid thing to take into consideration?
Everything is valid to take into consideration. If one believes that an 78+ year old shouldn't be president then that person's consideration is valid.

Reading the opinions of everyone who has posted proves my point; everyone's opinion is valid. Personally I wouldn't take age into consideration. But it is a valid thing to take into consideration.

It is more of a concern for me in a primary than in a general election. Ideally, I want my chosen candidate to be mentally and physically able to serve 4-8 years, hold political beliefs similar to mine, and be electable. Looking at pictures of presidents when they enter and exit office, most age more than 4-8 years worth in this job.

For someone over 75, yes, I'd be looking closely at the person's ability to think quickly, and how in touch with technological issues they seem to be. I would also give much greater scrutiny to the VP candidate than I otherwise would.

Mind you, I'm already a very careful voter who does very thorough background on candidates' voting records, campaign contributors, etc., so these things are fairly minor in the greater scheme of things, but I think they are relevant.

I don't think it should be written into law that a candidate for president can't exceed XX years old. But if someone chooses to not to vote for a candidate because they think they're too old, that's their prerogative.

I would consider it, but not necessarily rule someone out. Not every 75yo is the same, in regards to health, stamina, mental-capacity, ambition, etc. But I would likely put some weight on that, simply because it is an extremely demanding job, and because I prefer new and fresh ideas, most of which do tend to come from younger candidates.

It doesn't matter, if they have a qualified VP ;)
That is a problem though. A lot of the Vice Presidential picks are made by whether than they can help get the main guy elected over their qualifications. Just one instance, JFK picked Lyndon Johnson due to his ability to carry Texas in the election. The two were very different in their beliefs.

this was a big concern in Ireland recently. Our President is just a figure head role, more like a diplomat and official representative of the country while the government is run by the Prime Minster.

The President term of office is 7 years. We have just elected or rather re elected for a second term a man called Michel D Higgins. In his first term he was very popular and within the confines of role, brought a very positive viewpoint. HOWEVER he is 77 years old and his age played a big part of the campaigns by his opponents.

It means that President Higgins will be 84 by the end of his second and final term of office.

I think about the people that age in my family. They are educated and wise, but still cannot connect with younger adults and the modern world. I think elected officials need to be able to speak/connect/understand the total population, not just the 70-plus crowd.

Not all people of advanced age have a problem connecting with younger adults and the modern world. And by the same token, there are younger people who cannot connect with the older generation and their needs and concerns.

Elected officials should be able to connect and understand the needs of all the people but being older isn't what prevents that.

That is a problem though. A lot of the Vice Presidential picks are made by whether than they can help get the main guy elected over their qualifications. Just one instance, JFK picked Lyndon Johnson due to his ability to carry Texas in the election. The two were very different in their beliefs.

Having different beliefs does not make one unqualified.
Obviously those who voted for JFK didn't mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter