Ollivander’s (get wands before we go, or wait til the park?)

Wolfli

Earning My Ears
Hi

We are headed to Universal in two weeks. My kids are huge Harry Potter fans. The first day we are at the parks, we won’t be there until about 10AM.
Should I pre-order the wands and bring them with us, or wait and get them at Ollivanders? I am worried that by 10am, the lines for Ollivanders will be super long, but at the same time ... I think the kids would like the experience at Ollivanders.

thanks in advance for opinions!

Pros and cons either way...

If you have them before your trip, no down time in the park
You can go to the Potter sections and use them early

If you buy them that morning you arrive, kind of sweet of the attention and interactions with staff that helps you pick out a wand

If you wait til towards the end of the day, lines at Ollivanders are short / non existant, and that is the best time to do spells and explore anyways. Say you got there at 10am, maybe got to HP and ready to do spells at 11am - it's the busiest time of day. At the end of the day, you can also hopefully do spells without waiting behind others each time, which wrecks the surprise a bit. You can also keep doing spells after official park close (within reason of course).

They sell wands in so many places! You can get them at the airport gift shop as well as the gift shops in the front of the parks, in Citywalk and in both Harry Potter areas.

If you're going to be there multiple days, I agree with waiting. Do other things when you first arrive, and go to Ollivander's after the lines die down (or be first the next morning.) You'll have the rest of your vacation to use the wands, and the shop is fun.

Even if your kids don't get picked in the initial show, I think they'll have a good time. - My DS (years ago) was really impressed with how much the cast member seemed to know about him when helping select a wand. :wizard:

Thanks everyone! I think we will wait to get wands at Ollivanders... and keep an eye on the wait while exploring the rest of Diagon Alley. I like the idea of getting some spells done in the evening.

Definitely wait. The process of buying (going through the show, exploring the shop) are all part of the experience. The line in Diagon Alley won't be too bad. The Hogsmeade line is longer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter