Olympic Valley, CA - what is there to do in driving distance?

starshine514

DIS Veteran
So, we have a timeshare and are looking for somewhere to go while I'm on maternity leave. Right now we're looking at the end of May. My mom's brother lives in Sparks (near Reno), so we were thinking near there so we can visit. The two closest places are Genoa, NV and Olympic Valley, CA. Both are about an hour drive to his house. We've attempted this before, staying in Stateline, and like the idea of both of these places being closer to him. I was initially leaning towards Olympic Valley, but the room doesn't have a jacuzzi tub (which my girls love), but b/c It's on the Cali side and I though there may be driveable places we'd want to visit. The one in Genoa is pretty much on the way to where we stayed before in Stateline - so I already know there isn't much to do - but, the room has a jacuzzi tub for my girls.

So, my question is, what is there to do within a 2-hour drive of Olympic Valley? Is there a reason to prefer the Cali side of Tahoe? I've not had much luck searching online... We'll go picnic by the lake one day, but that will be about it for our outdoorsy activities (with two in the group with mobility problems, nature can be difficult).

Hmmm.. not much to do in whole North Shore really that isn't outdoorsy. We usually go in winter, but summer I think also is hiking, going to the Lake. Squaw has a nice village now I think where you could go walk around. They have summer things also, like I believe a pool at the top, you can ride the aerial tram up. Looks like roller skating etc up there as well.

http://squaw.com/things-to-do/high-camp

Tahoe City is nearby as is Kings Beach, I think they have some mini-golf etc...

Truckee has a cute street by the river.

You could always drive to Sacramento -not sure what's to do there, but they do have a good train museum my boys likes when they were little.

Kim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter