OMG...a trainer was killed today!

From what people are describing this death seems very similar to that of Keltie Byrne, the trainer at SeaLand Pacific who fell in and the whales proceeded to "Play" with her body, tossing it from one to another for a prolonged period of time and pushing her to the bottom of the tank until she died from drowning.

Daniel Dukes was incredibly stupid and was found to have died from hypothermia and drowning but he was found with marks all over his body concordant with being dragged across the bottom of the tank by Tilikum.

In my first post I wasn't suggesting for e.g that Tilikum should be destroyed but neither do I think he should have been made to perform or used as entertainment. He doesn't know what he is capable of and doesn't understand that humans can't hold their breath. I really don't think he should have been kept in captivity. And this will happen again as long as killer whales continue to perform in unnatural environments. Instead of breeding them in captivity the orcas captured from the wild should have been allowed to die out naturally if they couldn't be released without being used to populate theme parks. They are beautiful and intelligent but they were not made to be our best-friends or celebrities.
This is the only solution they are magnificant beautiful creatures and we in our arrogance think we have the right to turn them into toys for our amusement. I really feel for the family of this person to have lost a loved one to a preventable accident but my sympathy also goes to the whale.

This is indeed a terrible tragedy and my heart goes out to everyone involved.

I do have one question about what the OP said. Did the really shut down the entire park? If they did, why? People on the other side of the park that had no idea what is going on are all of a sudden told to leave? Is that right? It's obvious that the Shamu shows were cancelled but really, how can you shut down an entire park?

Someone please tell me the OP was wrong.

This is indeed a terrible tragedy and my heart goes out to everyone involved.

I do have one question about what the OP said. Did the really shut down the entire park? If they did, why? People on the other side of the park that had no idea what is going on are all of a sudden told to leave? Is that right? It's obvious that the Shamu shows were cancelled but really, how can you shut down an entire park?

Someone please tell me the OP was wrong.

I think it would only be right for the park to be closed. Firstly, because of the emergency services who may have needed access and also the sensitive nature of what people may have seen and secondly as a mark of respect. How could people who worked there go on with their day knowing their colleague had died horrifically?

Just sending out my prayers for the trainer, her family and friends. Wether or not you agree with orcas being in captivity or not, we can all agree that this is a horrible tragedy.

Half the park is closed right now. It's actually easier than you would think to clear a park if they had to.

The Disney parks were closed on 9/11, and it was a fairly quick and easy clear out. And people vacationing then probably didn't have easy access to news like they do now.

Half the park is closed right now. .

I find that quite disturbing. Do they really feel alright about taking money at SeaWorld on the day that someone has just died at the place where their most popular show is held? I think its pretty disrespectful to just sweep this poor woman's death under the carpet and continue to operate other rides/shows to be honest, I used to love SeaWorld but over the past few months I've started to change my mind.

Sandra, do you know the name of the trainer? I have a feeling I know who it is and if it is who I think it is then it may be especially sad. The woman I am thinking of had young children and was about 40.

No, I don't have a name.

But you get half and half response from the people there. People are all about their money, the news showed that people wanted a refund because they won't be able to see the show... blah blah blah crap. And they're offering discounted tickets to people walking in the gates because the show is closed off.

It's not necesarily about sea world wanting money from people despite the death. It's trying to provide the wants from the guests that are there.

Sandra, do you know the name of the trainer? I have a feeling I know who it is and if it is who I think it is then it may be especially sad. The woman I am thinking of had young children and was about 40.

I think I do to, is she the one that is in the DVD that you can buy in the stores at Wild Arctic etc? I cannot remember her name, but I think she had two young boys? if it is the same lady.

Very sad indeed.

I am so sorry to the friends and family of this girl. What a terrible thing to happen. I'll be thinking of you.

Here is my DS with Tilly this past December. My DS was fascinated and still wants to be a trainer:

M122109_00_5108.jpg

I'm just very, very sad to hear this.

No, I don't have a name.

But you get half and half response from the people there. People are all about their money, the news showed that people wanted a refund because they won't be able to see the show... blah blah blah crap. And they're offering discounted tickets to people walking in the gates because the show is closed off.

It's not necesarily about sea world wanting money from people despite the death. It's trying to provide the wants from the guests that are there.

I can understand them wanting a refund, I guess but I don't think I'd want to be at SeaWorld today. I'd just keep thinking about that poor woman and her family.

I think I do to, is she the one that is in the DVD that you can buy in the stores at Wild Arctic etc? I cannot remember her name, but I think she had two young boys? if it is the same lady.

Very sad indeed.

This isn't the one I am thinking of but either way its very, very sad.

And they're still saying she died in front of an audience. Like it happened during the show. And during the "report" they say she was in a backstage tank with a tour group.

they just said it on the news... but didn't make it sound like it was her. So i was slightly confused by it.

I have friends who were in the park today and they said the incident did not happen in front of a typical audience. They said they were watching the Shamu show when the show suddenly halted, the whales left the show tank, the trainers got silent, and then they awkwardly ushered everyone out of the theater.

They had no idea what happened until we called to ask if they knew anything. They said that there was a tour (or something) where people were watching and could probably see it going on, but that nothing happened in front of the audience.

Very sad. My heart goes out to the woman and her family. :(

Dawn LoVerde Brancheau was the trainer. She and her husband, Scott, were married for fourteen years, but do not have children. She was from the Chicago area and comes from a large, close-knit family. She'd worked for SeaWorld since she was 24, and had worked with orcas for the past 14 or 15 years.

How long before some sick you-now-what offers up video of it for money.

Poor dawn, her poor kids, and the whole SW family. :(

It kinda of worries me they have him in a small medical prep looking area. I am assuming that is where they do the medical stuff to them (blood draw, etc) Is that just to keep him contained, or are they planing to put him down. :(

I am sorry this happened, it's very tragic. But I also hope nothing happens to the whale. He didn't ask to be there. He is a wild animal, and he only knows what his instincts tell him :sad2:.

It makes me so mad when animals do what is natural to them, and then are punished or killed for it. :mad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!